Feminine Belles - Info/discussion/support Thread

It was been two weeks since the 6 month challenge was started. For the ladies that are joining me how are you doing? What are some areas that you are struggling in?

PSA:
During the next 6 months you are challenging yourself to reinvent a new women. A women that will move your life in the direction. If you are not happy with where you are in life or an area in your life, NOW is the time to examine those areas and make the changes. Don't wait for tomorrow, don't want until you get home, do it now are don't do it at all.

Think of this as your training time. In the end you will embark on a journey that is your life.

Hello ladies. It is going well for me. This week we met with a realtor and decided to move in 9-12 months into a space we can design to better suit our needs. Yay! I also finally purged 7 years worth of cooking magazines down to one binder of healthy recipes to support my weight loss. Baby steps but every little bit of progress will get us to goal!

Hello ladies. It is going well for me. This week we met with a realtor and decided to move in 9-12 months into a space we can design to better suit our needs. Yay! I also finally purged 7 years worth of cooking magazines down to one binder of healthy recipes to support my weight loss. Baby steps but every little bit of progress will get us to goal!

That is a great idea. You only have the relevant information that you need and now you have extra space in your home.

Was reading another thread and decided to post a question here: since black women tend to have more negative PR (loud, ghetto, take charge, etc) do you think we have to be over-the-top with our femininity to be viewed as feminine? Like with other situations that black women face in life (in the work place, for example) do we have to do more than everyone else to get some recognition? Would love to get your thoughts :yep:

Last edited:
I just got Lessons from Madame Chic today in the mail. I'm slightly disappointed that the book is so small physically. . .I was looking forward to a big, glossy hardcover book for my living room table. Hopefully, the content is good.

Also, just curious, is Jennifer black/bi-racial?

61AKn+bnZmL._UX250_.jpg

Was reading another thread and decided to post a question here: since black women tend to have more negative PR (loud, ghetto, take charge, etc) do you think we have to be over-the-top with our femininity to be viewed as feminine? Like with other situations that black women face in life (in the work place, for example) do we have to do more than everyone else to get some recognition? Would love to get your thoughts :yep:

I don't think we need to be over the top. I wear sundresses when others wear shorts or workout clothes. That makes me standout because it isn't the norm. I've also found that wearing solid colored dresses gets me more attention than busy patterns. Look good, smell good and be yourself.

Yes and no. Personally I think Black women need a good PR campaign on our behalf. As Black women we are awesome and of course magical :) As you know Black Girls are made of magic. While many stereotypes have a grain of truth to them a good majority of them hurt others people perception of us. Women in general no matter the race have a reputation to guard. So yes for me I do more overt displays of feminity to continue a good pr campaign. But that's just one part of it. I always put on my best foot forward because I'm representing my family and other Black women as well.

No, i don't think that is helpful. Besides, a hallmark of femininity is being genuine and over the top veers away from that imo. I think the best we can do is be our genuine selves. There is more than one way to be feminine, and over the topness leads to becoming a caricature.

I would not call it over the top but I am aware of the stereotypes and make minor adjustment to interject positive images of black women into other people's mind. It is enough not to make me not feel uncomfortable but enough to leave a positive impression.

I don't we have to be over the top. I think we do have to put our best foot forward consistently and publicly to spread our message. It is part internal confidence and beauty but to be honest, the external poise and fastidiously feminine grooming is of the utmost importance in terms of allowing others to be aware of who we are.

Can you provide more detail about what king of campaign you are thinking of.
I don't even know: TV campaigns (like dove beauty), YouTube videos? A decent reality show? What I have seen is a lot more mainstream commercials and ads with black women and white men...perhaps that is moving towards normalizing black women as marriage partners.

I don't think we should take on a burden and be overly anything, I believe that we need to individually put our best selves forward and also to help highlight the best in our girlfriends. As the book, Powerful and Feminine says, help your fellow women "light up" by complimenting them etc. I think today we have more positive representations of black femininity (Michelle Obama, Mara Brock Akil, Tracee Ross etc) thanks to a lot of us who have decided to self-represent or use media outlets to our advantage.

I think the campaign has already begun in some ways. Someone up thread mentioned injecting positive images of black women when possible and I agree. I think FLOTUS, when her husbands politics are set aside, is generally seen as a icon of black femininity. Lupita Nyongo is ultra femme. Misty Copeland is becoming a household name which is a feat for a ballet dancer of any color. And in my world, my office style is often compared to Olivia Pope who is very much a household name and symbolizes strength and vulnerability as well as class and style.

So when I interact with the majority world I do try to keep these examples in mind for when the conversation allows. While its obvious that we as black women have a negative stereotype to overcome in the media and entertainment, I find that most people are blank slates when it comes to their personal opinions on the matter and they aren't actively thinking about race or gender. Especially white men. You become the foundation for which all other black women are judged against for that person. So being feminine and patient and sharing your positive experiences can really make a difference for all of us.

I don't think we should take on a burden and be overly anything, I believe that we need to individually put our best selves forward and also to help highlight the best in our girlfriends. As the book, Powerful and Feminine says, help your fellow women "light up" by complimenting them etc. I think today we have more positive representations of black femininity (Michelle Obama, Mara Brock Akil, Tracee Ross etc) thanks to a lot of us who have decided to self-represent or use media outlets to our advantage.

We typed the same message. Great minds....

I don't even know: TV campaigns (like dove beauty), YouTube videos? A decent reality show? What I have seen is a lot more mainstream commercials and ads with black women and white men...perhaps that is moving towards normalizing black women as marriage partners.

I think YouTube could be a great platform! I think LoveisYou has the right idea. It's about spreading the movement and some times the best way isn't by telling people what to do but by showing them. What about getting involved with mentoring young girls through programs that already exist? I think sometimes we divide our resources too much and this could be a great way to give back and show what being a feminine woman looks like at the same time.

No, i don't think that is helpful. Besides, a hallmark of femininity is being genuine and over the top veers away from that imo. I think the best we can do is be our genuine selves. There is more than one way to be feminine, and over the topness leads to becoming a caricature.

I agree with this.

That said, it starts at home.

Black mothers have to raise their daughters to value femininity to see it as a virtue and necessity for womanhood.

There are bw that find femininity frivolous, unimportant or even demeaning to women. Some are even offended by notion. Unfortunately I've encountered more black mothers who think this way than women of other races. Sadly for the daughters of these women who have been denied feminine rearing and havent experienced femininity as matter of fact of life embracing feminine womanhood is not an organic innate quality the way it should be. For such women femininity must be acquired and learned as an adult. But that's only if they choose to do so.

Bump! How is everyone doing?

Hey ladies.... :wave:

I'm hanging in there.... I've been kind of MIA lately because I've been slightly depressed. My little Yorkie died unexpectedly died last week, and I've been a wreck ever since. :cry4: :nono:

I posted what happened on the Pet Forum here. I'm better than I was last week, but I'm still feeling kind of "blah". It's hard for me to come home to my apartment now with nobody (I mean NOBODY) to greet me. :ohwell:

*sigh* So....needless to say I've been slacking off lately.

But, tonight after work my goal is to go home, put on my workout gear and just WALK/job around the pond at this park near my house. I think I need to get out and get my endorphins flowing. :yep:

So please just bear with me... She was like a member of the family to me. Had her 8 years, and now she's gone. :cry4: I'll be fine...I'll just take it day by day.

GOOD question!! I've been secretly wondering this actually myself. I pretty much agree with what most have already said on here.

In all HONESTY....I HATE to all of the negative stereotypes put on bw, and don't like to see negative portrayal of us in the media. :nono: But at the same time (and I know I may rustle a few feathers), with stereotypes, unfortunately there tends to be some truth in them...otherwise, it wouldn't be a "stereotype". I think this goes back to what @barbiesocialite was saying in that sadly a lot of black mothers don't really instill femininity in their daughters. Can you blame them?? When a lot of your men are in jail, or have left the home, and you have to take care of your kids by yourself, and do everything by yourself as a single mother, who has time for dressing and acting "feminine"? :look: When we look at the BIGGER picture, it's no wonder that bw have been downplaying their femininity for decades! :whyme:

With THAT said however, I think bw were portrayed MUCH more positively in the 1940s, 1950s, etc....or, shall I say...there were more FEMININE examples of bw in the media, on tv, in movies, etc. I'm talking TRULY feminine. I even look at old pictures of my grandmother from back in the day, and she was truly fly! She and her friends were always VERY well dressed, wore lace gloves, pretty hats, nice dress suits, beautiful dresses, hair always "done", etc. I mean, the dress and grooming back in the day was always on POINT! :yep: What has happened to society today?? Do we just not CARE anymore?? And I'm not just talking about bw, I'm talking about ww, hw, and even wm, bm, hm, etc. It seems society in general just does not give a rats behind about their appearance on a day-t0-day basis anymore. :nono:

So....I guess in answer to your question... Yes and No. On one hand, I don't think any woman should feel like she has to be "over the top" in order to be feminine. With that said however, I DO think that women in general (especially bw) should put forth a little bit of effort to be more feminine.

Ugh...I have to leave work now, but I have SO much more to say lol

Hey ladies.... :wave:

I'm hanging in there.... I've been kind of MIA lately because I've been slightly depressed. My little Yorkie died unexpectedly died last week, and I've been a wreck ever since. :cry4: :nono:

I posted what happened on the Pet Forum here. I'm better than I was last week, but I'm still feeling kind of "blah". It's hard for me to come home to my apartment now with nobody (I mean NOBODY) to greet me. :ohwell:

*sigh* So....needless to say I've been slacking off lately.

But, tonight after work my goal is to go home, put on my workout gear and just WALK/job around the pond at this park near my house. I think I need to get out and get my endorphins flowing. :yep:

So please just bear with me... She was like a member of the family to me. Had her 8 years, and now she's gone. :cry4: I'll be fine...I'll just take it day by day.

!

GOOD question!! I've been secretly wondering this actually myself. I pretty much agree with what most have already said on here.

In all HONESTY....I HATE to all of the negative stereotypes put on bw, and don't like to see negative portrayal of us in the media. :nono: But at the same time (and I know I may rustle a few feathers), with stereotypes, unfortunately there tends to be some truth in them...otherwise, it wouldn't be a "stereotype". I think this goes back to what @barbiesocialite was saying in that sadly a lot of black mothers don't really instill femininity in their daughters. Can you blame them?? When a lot of your men are in jail, or have left the home, and you have to take care of your kids by yourself, and do everything by yourself as a single mother, who has time for dressing and acting "feminine"? :look: When we look at the BIGGER picture, it's no wonder that bw have been downplaying their femininity for decades! :whyme:

With THAT said however, I think bw were portrayed MUCH more positively in the 1940s, 1950s, etc....or, shall I say...there were more FEMININE examples of bw in the media, on tv, in movies, etc. I'm talking TRULY feminine. I even look at old pictures of my grandmother from back in the day, and she was truly fly! She and her friends were always VERY well dressed, wore lace gloves, pretty hats, nice dress suits, beautiful dresses, hair always "done", etc. I mean, the dress and grooming back in the day was always on POINT! :yep: What has happened to society today?? Do we just not CARE anymore?? And I'm not just talking about bw, I'm talking about ww, hw, and even wm, bm, hm, etc. It seems society in general just does not give a rats behind about their appearance on a day-t0-day basis anymore. :nono:

So....I guess in answer to your question... Yes and No. On one hand, I don't think any woman should feel like she has to be "over the top" in order to be feminine. With that said however, I DO think that women in general (especially bw) should put forth a little bit of effort to be more feminine.

Ugh...I have to leave work now, but I have SO much more to say lol

Sorry about your yorkie. I don't have a dog but I love them.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Fathers havr an important role too. In light of yhe Steve Harvey thread, I realized how I never got any valuable advice about men, dating, and relationships from anyone ever. Everything I know now has come through experience or from specifically seeking it out. I just feel like fathers have a special role in protecting/teaching/encouraging and basically allowing a woman to feel safe enough to be feminine and vulnerable. And when a man doesn't fufill that role, as it was in my case, a lot of what should naturally flow gets jacked up.

Sorry about your yorkie. I don't have a dog but I love them.

Best,
Almond Eyes

@Crystalicequeen123 sorry about your dog. They really do become family so I know it is hard. Hang in there!

Thank you so much ladies. I really appreciate the kind words of sympathy. :hug3:

Fathers havr an important role too. In light of yhe Steve Harvey thread, I realized how I never got any valuable advice about men, dating, and relationships from anyone ever. Everything I know now has come through experience or from specifically seeking it out. I just feel like fathers have a special role in protecting/teaching/encouraging and basically allowing a woman to feel safe enough to be feminine and vulnerable. And when a man doesn't fufill that role, as it was in my case, a lot of what should naturally flow gets jacked up.
I could have written this same exact post. We share the same similar experiences.

Sorry to have to break this into two different posts, but my boss was begging me to leave work yesterday smh lol :lol:

Anyway, in continuation of my previous post (answering the question that @Belle Du Jour posed).....

While I don't feel that any woman needs to go "over the top" in displaying feminine qualities, in all honesty I DO feel that because of the negative stereotypes and smear campaigns against us, bw should try to make more of a conscientious effort to be more feminine in dress, qualities, and manner. :yep: I almost feel like because of history, the media, etc...we are sort of starting BEHIND the "Start Line" (so to speak), and so therefore have to work a little harder at displaying these qualities since most do not associate "black" with being "feminine". I like the idea of posting pictures of feminine women on this board, (especially BLACK feminine women), so that we can see firsthand that bw CAN be beautiful, light, easy-going, feminine, charming, sweet, demure, and classy. :yep: Of course we know it deep down, but because it's so RARE that we're portrayed in this way (it's always the "STRONG" black woman) sometimes we can tend to forget.

Idk about others, but I personally feel so much more happier when I'm operating from my feminine side as opposed to my masculine side. When I operate from the "masculine", I feel more tense, uptight, rigid, ANXIOUS, and stressed. But when I RELAX, become more receptive in nature, smile more, and operate more from my feminine energy, I feel SO much more at ease. :yep:

I am all for a BW Feminine Movement! Where do I sign up?? :lol: I'm SERIOUS! I want to join the campaign. :yep: I feel like even though I'm just one person, I can do my best to try to exhibit more feminine qualities and who knows, maybe it will encourage more fellow bw to exhibit those same qualities as well. I think the media has done a GOOD job in making us seem undesirable, fat, ugly, loud, brash, attitude-y, negative, crass, ghetto, etc. :nono: Sadly though, sometimes those images aren't just found in the media. Sometimes they are found in real life. :ohwell: And then when you see your own bm (at times...not all of course) engaging in the smear campaign as well, it can make us as bw feel put down, less than, and feel like what's the use in changing? But I think that in time, little by little, we can IMPROVE the image of bw in the media and around us in general. :yep: It starts in the home (of course), but I think that seeing positive images of BLACK women (of ALL hues...not just "mixed" or lighter-skinned women) all around us (on TV, movies, day-to-day life, etc) will help tremendously. :yep:

Last edited:
@Crystalicequeen123 I'm sorry for your loss. The love of a puppy is so special.

This conversation is touching on something I've noticed anecdotally in the women around me. When you have the love of a good man in your life, women just seem to come alive. I have 2 married friends who I've known since college and since their marriage I have noticed a confidence and air of peace in them as they have stepped into the wife and now mother roles. Without having to change the way they dress or style their hair they exude this femininity that is very authentic. It reminds me of the way I was as a young girl with my Father's love in my life.

On the flip side, I know married women who don't have the love of a good man, so while they may be stylish wives and mothers they exude this insecurity that is highly unfeminine. Even if it expresses as a meekness, it's not that quiet confident waiting that a feminine woman displays.

I also say this because I notice this in myself. I have learned that I control the tone of my relationships with men. And when I have decided how I want to be and my man follows suit, that happy relationship makes me feel on top of the world. Like I can try anything and be supported. It allows me to be brave because I'm not afraid to fall. He will catch me. This manifests itself, in patience... I am safe to create and wait on an outcome. It also manifests in allowing me to be in my womb space and feelings... he is doing the thinking and acting. Literally while I do my thing, he is circling the perimeter to make sure I am safe and comfortable.

@Crystalicequeen123 I'm sorry for your loss. The love of a puppy is so special.

This conversation is touching on something I've noticed anecdotally in the women around me. When you have the love of a good man in your life, women just seem to come alive. I have 2 married friends who I've known since college and since their marriage I have noticed a confidence and air of peace in them as they have stepped into the wife and now mother roles. Without having to change the way they dress or style their hair they exude this femininity that is very authentic. It reminds me of the way I was as a young girl with my Father's love in my life.

On the flip side, I know married women who don't have the love of a good man, so while they may be stylish wives and mothers they exude this insecurity that is highly unfeminine. Even if it expresses as a meekness, it's not that quiet confident waiting that a feminine woman displays.

I also say this because I notice this in myself. I have learned that I control the tone of my relationships with men. And when I have decided how I want to be and my man follows suit, that happy relationship makes me feel on top of the world. Like I can try anything and be supported. It allows me to be brave because I'm not afraid to fall. He will catch me. This manifests itself, in patience... I am safe to create and wait on an outcome. It also manifests in allowing me to be in my womb space and feelings... he is doing the thinking and acting. Literally while I do my thing, he is circling the perimeter to make sure I am safe and comfortable.

^^YES!!!!! You have definitely hit the nail on something @Kimbosheart :yep:

I've always somewhat sensed this myself. There is a certain vibe/energy that changes I think when a woman is in a stable, good, loving relationship. I think this is why people always say that when you are single, you feel like you can't find anybody. But when you are "taken", all of a sudden ALL of these guys start coming out of the woodwork lol! :lachen:

I would always feel different when I was in a relationship with a man as well. :yep: I just felt easy-going, happy, smiling all the time, special, feminine, and not on edge at all. Just light, breezy, and feminine. :yep:

I've noticed a change in my sister as well ever since she got married and eventually now had her first baby. :yep: My sister has always been feminine, but there's a different type of "energy" that is exuded when a woman is in a relationship. I think it attracts men like honeybees. I also say that women who have children are also exuding a more motherly/feminine vibe, and I think this is why many women who have children seem to snag men left and right lol. :lol:

I never grew up w/a father figure who was loving, attentive, and treated me like I was "daddy's little princess". :look: I sometimes envy women who had such a strong, solid, LOVING and caring father figure who taught them the ways of life and allowed them to be feminine daughters. My parents divorced when I was young, and my dad died in my teens, so I never really had a stable father figure in my life who was easy-going and laid back. I was never "butch" or anything, but when I was little I loved to be athletic, and focused more on being "smart", "competent", and responsible, since these were traits my father seemed to value more. Whereas my sister was the youngest so she had more of the freedom to just be herself, no responsibility, etc.

I think single women who don't have a man in their lives can still exude this same feminine spirit by falling in love with themselves. We may not have a man right now, but we can feel protected and shower love to ourselves by fully immersing ourselves in our feminine energy (we may have to try harder :look:), and just being comfortable in our lives right now.

^^YES!!!!! You have definitely hit the nail on something @Kimbosheart :yep:
I think single women who don't have a man in their lives can still exude this same feminine spirit by falling in love with themselves. We may not have a man right now, but we can feel protected and shower love to ourselves by fully immersing ourselves in our feminine energy (we may have to try harder :look:), and just being comfortable in our lives right now.

Ooh thank you for posting this. I was coming back to write, that one of the things I love about my new bible study habit is that I am finding this on my own through the love and protection of God. I am in a great relationship, not perfect because we are humans, but great. But I still highly value my independence as a women. And I'm finding that the confidence I am gaining as I learn how much Jesus loves me is really awakening a deeper level of confidence in me which I only hope results in increased femininity. I've already noticed it in the fact that I don't have to do anything in my situations other than praise and worship and I don't have to think of the right things to say. I feel so protected right now. I know this isn't the Christian Forum but for me, this has helped me learn to love myself even more and find confidence in the unique qualities that make me me.

Ooh thank you for posting this. I was coming back to write, that one of the things I love about my new bible study habit is that I am finding this on my own through the love and protection of God. I am in a great relationship, not perfect because we are humans, but great. But I still highly value my independence as a women. And I'm finding that the confidence I am gaining as I learn how much Jesus loves me is really awakening a deeper level of confidence in me which I only hope results in increased femininity. I've already noticed it in the fact that I don't have to do anything in my situations other than praise and worship and I don't have to think of the right things to say. I feel so protected right now. I know this isn't the Christian Forum but for me, this has helped me learn to love myself even more and find confidence in the unique qualities that make me me.

YES!!! Same here! :grin: I'm not trying to turn this into the Christian forum either, but I just had to add that now that I'm on my journey of reading my bible everyday and studying the deeper things of the bible, I DO feel sooo much more peace of mind, and more feminine as a result. :yep: Knowing how God & Jesus love me, and how Jesus treated others while on earth has definitely made things so much more clear to me and how I should treat others. :yep: I also love the way Jesus was so patient, kind, and loving, even towards women who were at times treated like dirt back in biblical times. I feel this overwhelming sense of contentment, happiness, and confidence swelling inside of me when I read how God truly loves me. :yep: I think as a single woman it helps to view God as your "head" as you wait for your human husbandly head in time. I think this gives single christian women who are not married yet some sort of peace of mind and a feeling of protection.

Idk about you, but It DOES make a huge difference! I also find that reading in the bible how women are the "compliment" to a man, and how they are to be assigned honor and respect, and how we are the "feminine" vessel makes me feel honored and privileged to be a woman. I think sometimes society tends to try to mold women into being like men (even in subtle ways), but the bible never tries to change women into being like men. I feel more FREE to be what I was made to be...which is a WOMAN. I don't have to be a man or LIKE a man in order to feel loved or important. :nono:

Also, I like seeing the examples of how submissive and meek most of the women in the bible were, and it definitely helps me to try to exude the same qualities as a Christian woman. :yep: I still strive to be the Provbers 31:10 woman, and I DEFINITELY think reading the bible has increased my feminine energy for sure. :yep:

Sorry to go on a tangent, but your post really resonated with me lol. :lol:

I'm slightly jealous of people who can read the Bible amd get something out of it. I do better with isolated Biblical quotes, I've come across some really beautiful ones. But everytime, I've tried reading the Bible I become confused, bored, annoyed, sometimes dismayed.
I am a very spiritual person, but I've never done well when I read the Bible, which annoys me because others seem to do so well with it.

Back