• No

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Wouldn't dare?

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 26 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No...not right now, though not against it. However, all of this culture talk makes me kind of sad. Living in the U.S., it's nice to have someone who understands your cultural background. I would like to marry a Trini, but even a Guyanese or Grenadian would be fine. Someone West Indian...*sigh*

Maybe I need to move to NY...

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were engaged?

Dad is white and Mom is black.
I could never date a white guy...just not my preference.

*Disclaimer*I have the best Daddy in the world, so it has nothing to do with him. i just love my delicious brown man :lick:
I am the same as you except I have never dated a black man :lol: I dont know what it is but I have yet to feel attracted to one in real life, well ever since junior high when I exclusively liked black boys. I didnt date in junior high though lol. Ever since I grew up I totally went off black men in a big way. Theyre as unappealing to me as Chinese or Japanese men. I think 50 cent and the Game are hot lol but I dont think I could date them if I knew them in real life. Im not sure why either. My half sister who is full white married a black man back in the 60s or 70s. Irrelevant but I just threw it in there :lol:

I am the same as you except I have never dated a black man :lol: I dont know what it is but I have yet to feel attracted to one in real life, well ever since junior high when I exclusively liked black boys. I didnt date in junior high though lol. Ever since I grew up I totally went off black men in a big way. Theyre as unappealing to me as Chinese or Japanese men. I think 50 cent and the Game are hot lol but I dont think I could date them if I knew them in real life. Im not sure why either. My half sister who is full white married a black man back in the 60s or 70s. Irrelevant but I just threw it in there :lol:

Yeah this dynamics is interesting... My half-sister (white) has never dated a black man. My white brothers have never dated any black women either as far as I know LOL! I know they think they're hot though. I have dated men of all colors, but I seem to have the longest relationships with biracial men like myself. I guess I love to mirror myself in my partner. :grin:

At this point, I think it would be difficult for me to form a relationship with a full white or a full black man. I don't know why, but I just feel more comfortable around my own. Either that, or someone who is bi-cultural. It's got to be someone who understands that feeling of "otherness". :yawn:

I'm the other way around from you and MissNorway - my father was black, my mother is white.

I second that lovinlocks. I remember when I met my boo I was like "I ain't dating a white guy so forget about it" and didn't even try to get to know him but the dude was relentless. For 8 months he gently pursued me and eventually I was like anybody this tenacious deserves some attention. It turned out he was the definition of what I've always wanted in a guy and I almost passed him by simply cos he was white. It's been almost 2 years now and we're engaged and we can't wait to grow old together! and yes, he can't dance to save his life but I love him anyway :grin:!

This is so sweet I can't (won't) even trim the original. :Rose: Girlll, you should have ya LHCF girls at the wedding and we send you off not unlike when I was a member of a certain popular sorority (OOooh oop; ahem).

You know (or may not) I am ISO a cool name for our home-based soaping enterprise and I love your name. Don't know what it means but it sure rolls off the tongue. Check it out:

• Iafani Originals
  • Organically Iafani
  • Iafani Soap Studio
  • Iafani Studio
  • Studio Iafani
Mmm, I like. Let me copy and paste over at the thread I started . .. :rolleyes:

Yeah this dynamics is interesting... My half-sister (white) has never dated a black man. My white brothers have never dated any black women either as far as I know LOL! I know they think they're hot though. I have dated men of all colors, but I seem to have the longest relationships with biracial men like myself. I guess I love to mirror myself in my partner. :grin:

At this point, I think it would be difficult for me to form a relationship with a full white or a full black man. I don't know why, but I just feel more comfortable around my own. Either that, or someone who is bi-cultural. It's got to be someone who understands that feeling of "otherness". :yawn:

I'm the other way around from you and MissNorway - my father was black, my mother is white.

I get along best with biracial men, too. But there are more white men around, so I might be making an adjustment tonight (group date).

I've dated mostly white men. This just kind of happened. I did date a guy from Chile my freshman year of college, but that too was random. Actually, I realize that I have not dated a single African American man and at this rate I won't (I think current SO is it for me), but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. I'm sorry that I can't give a comparison on a romantic level, but I will tell you that for me race was usually only an issue if we made it one.

It could happen! My SO is a black Canadian and we grew up over 1500 miles apart. I can keep an eye out for some cousins for you! :grin:

LOOOOl black canadian men? that's sooooo random!
lol, send me your pics, and i'll hook you all up..

Woman! Do you know what kinda can of worms you may have opened up???? Shoootttt, if I weren't actively in love i'd be sending you a Fotki full. :lachen:

It is random! I still wonder myself how we ran into each other, but I'm thankful because I don't think that another man in this world could match me so well.

LovinLocks, I just noticed your wedding ticker! You're gettig married soon! That's great! :)

:yawn: We say we are. We'll see :rolleyes:. When/if I do yaw'll know yaw'll my girls; you'll be the second to know. I took the ticker down, I'm all superstitious and stuff (which is usually not like me).

I've dated mostly white men. This just kind of happened. I did date a guy from Chile my freshman year of college, but that too was random. Actually, I realize that I have not dated a single African American man and at this rate I won't (I think current SO is it for me), but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying. I'm sorry that I can't give a comparison on a romantic level, but I will tell you that for me race was usually only an issue if we made it one.

It could happen! My SO is a black Canadian and we grew up over 1500 miles apart. I can keep an eye out for some cousins for you! :grin:

Nice to know it could happen!:grin:

:lol: They are sooo fine. I don't know what makes them different from AA men, but whatever it is...I like it. Black NHL players :drool:

I've dated some white guys and quite a few non-black guys. I pretty much laid out most of my IR relationships in the OT thread "Equal Opportunity Daters Let Me Holler At You".

As far as how common BW/WM couples are in my area of BK, this is what I wrote in the IR dating & marriage thread:
The area that I currently live in is very diverse and there are many mixed couples. As I saw a black woman/white man couple walking down the street (a sight I'm very accustomed to) the other day, I thought about the fact, or at least my estimation, that the ratio of black male/non-black female : black female/non-black male couples is 1:1, or maybe 4:3.
I actually see more BW/WM couples than the inverse, but maybe it's just my own selective observations.:spinning:

Here you go Lucie...:bighug: I hope everything works out for you!

But YES, speaking on the subject: I am married to a blue-eyed white man, from ALABAMA. And I love him, very much.:grin: His family taught him right, so when he found himself attracted to me, he approached me like he would anybody else, and the rest is..history.

:look:BUT:look: (did ya'll see that coming?) The culture differences can get overwhelming at times. I'd be lying if I said we always see eye to eye on f racial issues. Not because he's a flaming racist, but because he can't really see things from a black point of view. AND vice versa!

HOWEVER:grin:, I always find that, in the scope of our whole relationship, and the values we are trying to build our marriage on...racial issues/opinions are but a small part of our lives. Not to say that they aren't important, but our relationship is made up of SO MUCH MORE than his opinion on hip-hop. ( TELL ME WHY he HATES Lil Wayne so MUCH! Anybody?! Somebody?!) All that I ask is that he be RESPECTFUL if he disagrees, and I offer that same courtesy....That and he better not say NOTHING BAD about my BARACK OBAMA.

:perplexed I know the whole "does he want a white girl?" feeling, especially since I'm an insecure newlywed...But he helped me out, by suggesting I go for the BIG CHOP. I was bowled over when he said he didn't need me to have long straight hair!:spinning:

Now...If I could just get him to grease my scalp......:yep:

:lachen:

Great post!! To the bolded: It will happen soon. My hubby be gluing in tracks, lol.....

LOL @ gluing in tracks....

My husbands cuts the string from my tracks...
He is Chicano.
Together 10 yrs, married 8 yrs, 2 kids, maybe one more...
He loves me to bits and pieces and spoils me rotten. Good Husband & Dad. Race is not, and has never been a source of problems in our relationship. We have dealt with cultural differences just as any other difference. We both established boudaries and respect in the beginning.
Initially I did not care for IR dating, or was interested....someone changed my mind. I had found myself attracted to Black men or mainly minority men, but I fell in love with my Husband.
Oh, and in my single days - swirling was my specialty.... :)

Last edited:
I dont really think there is much difference between dating black versus non-black as it is person to person.

I will have to disagree. I dated out of my race numerous times and there are great differences amongst people of other cultures and races. Of course everyone is an individual but we can't down play behavior and attitude that certain groups carry more.

Great post!! To the bolded: It will happen soon. My hubby be gluing in tracks, lol.....

My ex was white, and he dated only black girls after me. When we were together, I was transitioning, and he begged me to let him do the BC for me. :lol: We broke up before I BC'ed, but once I did he again begged me to send him pics of my natural hair. The girl he dated after me, he helped her sew in her weaves and everything. The girl he is dating now is natural, and boy is he excited. He oils her scalp and wants to learn how to do twists. :lol:

My ex was white, and he dated only black girls after me. When we were together, I was transitioning, and he begged me to let him do the BC for me. :lol: We broke up before I BC'ed, but once I did he again begged me to send him pics of my natural hair. The girl he dated after me, he helped her sew in her weaves and everything. The girl he is dating now is natural, and boy is he excited. He oils her scalp and wants to learn how to do twists. :lol:

DANG! What state is this?

slightly OT - does anyone think when guys are extra-whipped is when they wanna be "hands-on" with your grooming rituals?

:wallbash:All this scalp oiling and track gluing...I'm trying to figure out which beauty school did you send them to, and HOW MUCH to start my Husband's classes!? I can only get him to take out braids.

:rolleyes:Leave it to LHCF to bring "IR DATING/MARRIAGE" back around to hair care...SMH

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I'm a black female, 51 years old in a relationship w/ white man who is younger than me. It's going on 3 years. We started dating in December '06.

We practically live together, but I keep my place (no intention of selling it or renting it out either) so I have somewhere to go when I can't stand him. :look::lachen:

That is too cute!

I think when you click, you just click...that's it.

I dated a French guy (white). We met in graduate school.

Now ours was a situation where we were not only racially different, but culturally as well. He was born and raised in France and had been in the US maybe 2-3 years when i met him. Prior to that, he lived in England for a bit. We had different views on religion, he disliked American culture (wasteful, fat Americans, lol), his fam was somewhat well-off (mine is/was po' , lol) but for whatever reason we clicked so well and instantaneously...it was crazy actually.

Even though we had those things that separated us, we wound up being so compatible. We had little inside jokes, a little silly language, I'd tease him about his accent, he'd tease me about 'mine'. He was also very generous, caring and sweet. I always say people are brought into your life for a reason. I don't know if i would have made it through grad school had i not met him, he was my rock.

In the beginning, I sooo ignored his advances toward me. Mostly bc i didnt think he was serious. One day he invited me over to his house and cooked me a fabulous dinner and we talked for hours. I became more interested at that point, he seemed genuine.

There really is no formula for love. It doesnt matter if youve got everything in the world in common, similar upbringing or vastly different upbringing, different race or culture when you are around a person you like, you just know it...it may even surprise you that you like the particular person, but honestly that is out of your control.

I'd date 'out' again, i'm an equal opportunity dater.

- does anyone think when guys are extra-whipped is when they wanna be "hands-on" with your grooming rituals?
Naaaaah 'cause me and mine are brand new and he's: drawn a tattoo on me, lotions me from head-to-toe and would do anything else I request along those lines. :rolleyes:

Back