Why I Married a Black Woman

I see some of yall aint got a pookie in family, ahhh Lol...

I loved it, it read like a poem...

Although I dont think drug addicts are synonymous with Black people, for that line just think whats that movie with Halle, Samuel, Wesley, and Sam was th crakhead stealing from mama, took TV and all, LMAO

Essence is an AA publication so...and I know there is diversity within AA culture, but I don't think he was trying to include everyone. If it applies, cool. If not, it wasn't meant for you (general).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using LHCF

Southernbella, the title of the article implied that it represented all Black women. I didn't realize Essence was solely marketed for AA and did not extend to other Black Americans.

This article is not causing me to loose sleep, if he likes it, I love it.

Relationships expert Steven James Dixon is a proud father, an adoring husband and author of Men Don’t Heal, We Ho

Good day Sir.

I think I get where he's coming from. It sounds like he doesn't want to spend his whole life trying to teach his SO his culture.

Husband comes home from work singing: NIGHTS LIKE THIS I WISH...

White wife: *Side-eye* "Um OK Rahim. It's already raining outside. What are you talking about?"

Husband: -__________-. Listen Sarah, I'm singing a song from a classic black movie from the 80s based loosely on the Motown groups from back in the day.

White Wife: What is Motown?

ya'll find something wrong with everythang. Damn!

All the snark and cynicism is hiding some real pain. Reading some of these responses made me think of Harris-Perry's book Sister Citizen where she writes about black women standing in a crooked room.

I have seen people write some eyeroll inducing crap about what they like and/or appreciate and the recipients eat it up. But, some black women are primed to only accept being bashed and bashing, and anything other than that is too unbelievable.

And also, the title of his book is funny but I don't have a problem with it cause it's true. They don't really know how to deal with their emotions the way that women do. So instead of dealing with their issues they just slut it up.

Once, a few years ago, I asked my husband if the title of the book is true and he looked up and to the left like he had to think reeeeeaaaal hard about it LMAO. So I took that as a yes.

This is very important. I considered getting a black boyfriend just for the holiday dinner season. Know what I had on Thanksgiving? Lentils, rice and bread :nono:

I didn't have collard greens, honey ham (don't eat pork at all) or peach cobbler on Thanksgiving.

I did make my cornbread stuffing/dressing though so maybe I'm still alright. :lol:

Lentils, rice and bread? You should've brought a dish or two to show 'em how it's done!

I get what he was trying to say, but he lost me at the cousin reference.

I know many of us have had the cousin that took money out of their mother's purse to go to the store and buy some candy.......I'm going much further back than most because when I was growing up going to the store for our parents for say milk, bread and eggs and being able to keep the change so we could buy some candy was a treat!

All the snark and cynicism is hiding some real pain. Reading some of these responses made me think of Harris-Perry's book Sister Citizen where she writes about black women standing in a crooked room.

I have seen people write some eyeroll inducing crap about what they like and/or appreciate and the recipients eat it up. But, some black women are primed to only accept being bashed and bashing, and anything other than that is too unbelievable.
Who said anything 'bout the article being unbelievable? Some folks took issue with the tone or some of his supposedly "broadly relatable" reasons. I don't see any disbelief.

It's gonna take a whole lot more than liking Frankie Beverly and maze together to convince these black me to like a black woman. :look:

Sent From My Pheauxne
Word. Who is this for?!

..cuz last I checked color-struck brothers who believe only the worst stereotypes about black women don't read Essence...

Who said anything 'bout the article being unbelievable? Some folks took issue with the tone or some of his supposedly "broadly relatable" reasons. I don't see any disbelief.
I am lost in the sauce with that whole post...

AnjelLuvsUBabe said:
I see some of yall aint got a pookie in family, ahhh Lol...

I loved it, it read like a poem...

Although I dont think drug addicts are synonymous with Black people, for that line just think whats that movie with Halle, Samuel, Wesley, and Sam was th crakhead stealing from mama, took TV and all, LMAO

Right. Not all black people have that experience but its easier to explain when someone else knows of the experience. It's easier to say he's a crackhead and they automatically know they will steal anything from anybody and they can fix anything. It's easier for me to say my crackhead cousin Charles.

ya'll find something wrong with everythang. Damn!

Okay??!!! Dayum!

And smh at the comments, "oh I can't relate to any of that.". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
What are you even talking about? The only thing to relate to is the notion of marrying someone who gets you, culturally. I liked what he wrote. I guess some of you prefer to read the information about why Black men don't want Black women. And honestly after seeing some of the responses in this thread, I can see why some of them don't want to. And I never thought I would say that.

And EVERYONE has a wayward relative in their family tree. Some of you are acting like you are British royalty in here about his reference to the theft of the money: "a cousin who steals? Not in my family. Perish the thought!"
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone writes an article titled 'Why I Married a Black Woman' and pple start with the 'I can't relate' nonsense. Are they married to the man? Why should they relate? He talking about himself and the black woman he married. Why insert yourself to be offended and giving side eyes?

Okay??!!! Dayum!

And smh at the comments, "oh I can't relate to any of that.". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
What are you even talking about? The only thing to relate to is the notion of marrying someone who gets you, culturally. I liked what he wrote. I guess some of you prefer to read the information about why Black men don't want Black women. And honestly after seeing some of the responses in this thread, I can see why some of them don't want to. And I never thought I would say that.

And EVERYONE has a wayward relative in their family tree. Some of you are acting like you are British royalty in here about his reference to the theft of the money: "a cousin who steals? Not in my family. Perish the thought!"

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Dot gamn!!! Tell us how you really feel lady! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

But yup. Spot on. :lol::lol:

Okay??!!! Dayum!

Someone writes an article titled 'Why I Married a Black Woman' and pple start with the 'I can't relate' nonsense. Are they married to the man? Why should they relate? He talking about himself and the black woman he married. Why insert yourself to be offended and giving side eyes?

IIRC the "I can't relate" comments had to do with the stealing. A poster said that it's part of AA culture and I and whoever else said it did not relate to them and their AA culture. I didn't get that no one related to the article as a whole. I think ya'll being a lil bit extra. And a lil mad.

561.jpg

Okay??!!! Dayum!

And EVERYONE has a wayward relative in their family tree. Some of you are acting like you are British royalty in here about his reference to the theft of the money: "a cousin who steals? Not in my family. Perish the thought!" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
:lol: Why, because some folks don't understand why he tried to normalize family theft into a cultural experience?!

I dunno - I guess I didn't give his article enough thought to be offended by his depiction of black culture, or be annoyed by those who didn't agree with it.

Last edited:
Okay??!!! Dayum!

:lol::yep:

-A

I took the cousin stealing as a way of saying that we as AA's pretty much will assume that family who are on this crap typically are on drugs, etc.

To many black people (of course not the black folks on this board) but to many other AA blacks, many will kinda "read between the lines" of what this kind of dynamic means--not saying that you approve or that this is a great way of life but that you will both kinda assume that this person is on drugs.

I can't be with anyone who doesn't get that Five Heartbeats reference, Black or white. I love that movie. :look:

But seriously, I think some of y'all are taking his words a little too literally. He's just basically saying he wants someone who can relate to him. I get it cuz that's a definitely a part of my apprehension to date a non-Black man.

IIRC the "I can't relate" comments had to do with the stealing. A poster said that it's part of AA culture and I and whoever else said it did not relate to them and their AA culture. I didn't get that no one related to the article as a whole. I think ya'll being a lil bit extra. And a lil mad.

561.jpg

what was being extra was picking one thing out of that article and not seeing the big picture. i sarcastically said yes it was, because i thought it was down right ridiculous to think i believe that is part of AA culture. my words were twisted as usual. folks disregarded that article and ran with that cousin stealing mess.

what was being extra was picking one thing out of that article and not seeing the big picture. i sarcastically said yes it was, because i thought it was down right ridiculous to think i believe that is part of AA culture. my words were twisted as usual. folks disregarded that article and ran with that cousin stealing mess.

eddie_murphy_wtf_gif.gif

Oh cause I really thought you was serious. :look:

I am now beginning to wonder if it really is hard for Black women to hear that they can be loved, and praised over any other race, by a Black man... :perplexed

Back