Why do you/would you date outside your ‘race’?

Why do you/would you date outside your ‘race’?

• So that my babies can have that good hair/lighter skin.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Because I have Daddy issues or had bad experiences with Black men.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • My first crush was with a white boy and that set a precedent.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Not enough eligible Black men around so I have to widen my options

Votes: 24 19.8%
  • It was not a preference, I just happened to fall for the guy despite our differences.

Votes: 48 39.7%
  • I'm an equal op girl, or: I'm mixed-race so dating non-Black men is not dating outside my 'race'.

Votes: 48 39.7%
  • The idea of being with a White man makes me feel important and valued. It gives me status.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don't know. This is not something I have really thought about.

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • I feel no connection to Black men and have never had the desire to date one.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other- please elaborate.

Votes: 16 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I want to try something different.I know men are men but I have various encounters with other races hispanic and white and from my dealings it was just easier.Maybe its was just the type of personality.I am equal to all men because at the end of the day love has no color.I just want to be loved purely.

Wow, its nice to see black women explore there options. Here in the metro detroit area, i can count on one hand the amount of black women, non black couples i have seen in the last two years. On the other hand, i don't have enough hands or feet to count how many black men, non black women i see every week. I wish more of us would explore our options when it comes to dating interracially. But then again, i think many black women are accustomed to being approached by men rather than doing the approaching. In my experience, non black men rarely approach me. I don't know if its the same for other black women. Who knows.:ohwell:

Usually I am not into interracial dating....

but there is this samoan dude who is changing my mind...I guess if anything happens...my reason would be 'it just happened' lol

Last edited:
Me too!!:lick: Can't explain why, they just make me swoon.:grin: But I'd date any guy so long as he treats me right and we have that connection. As for black men, I'm physically attracted but feel there's something missing.:ohwell:

BTW, interracial doesn't just mean 'white', there are other races besides black and white. Also, some of the answer choices are offensive. Just because a BW dates interracially doesn't mean she has daddy issues or wants status or kids with lighter skin. How about she's seeing beyond race for the person inside?:perplexed

I agree, interracial does not necessarily mean white, hence the term non-black in the original post.

I honestly did not mean to offend anyone. Other than the hair reference, all those options are the reality of some poeple I know IRL.

I know that a Black woman dating non-black men does not necessarily equate to her having Daddy issues, hence all the other choices.

Are you offended by the topic of the thread? The original post? Please elaborate.

Anyone else finding this topic offensive? Please share your thoughts/reasons. I am curious.

Idk but im kinda offended by this post..jeeze. Like really? Some people have deepseated issues.

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I was just thinking how interesting it would be to post something like this on a mans (all ethnicities) forum to get some insight into their reasons for dating outside their 'race'. Now that would be fascinating.

When I was single I dated interacially because it was something to experience before getting serious about marriage (I never would have married a non black man). My conclusion is that men are men. There was no difference between the Indian, black, jewish, chinese, white canadian, wasp men that I dated :lol:

Oh, I totally agree with you. This is the same African guy who won't date a black woman darker than Alicia Keys. But he went totally ballistic when I started dating the German. Self hatred/double standard much?

"Harder, n-word, harder..." :look: I hope I didn't offend anyone.

:lachen:.......:perplexed
That's just sad.

my DH is wasp.

out off all the guys I dated (mostly black) he's the swetest, most loving and loyal. I was a single mom when we met and he's been more of a dad to my dd than her (black) father would ever even consider.

I lived in the DC area before we got married and single brothers were rare other than a few players. It's funny I look back at some guys I knew or liked and see that a lot of them are still single or being the player at 40.

I'm dating one right now, and so far, so good. He's the first white man that I've ever dated. Funny thing is he's from good ole Texas, and his dad is a cattle rancher. lol Go figure.

Honestly, I've never been attracted to a white man IRL, until of course I met him. We just click.

Because I don't look at race as a cult that I have to remain exclusive to. I'm a human that is attracted to other humans LOL. If the one that I end up with happens to not be the same race that I am... so what. No matter who I date, I will always be proud to be black. Nothing could ever change that.

Same here. That's why when I can't really identify when someone describes interracial dating as "going to the other side" .. maybe because I don't really feel possessive or clannish about dating black men. I don't go hard for random black male strangers because honestly, I don't even know those guys. A lot of american black men may have some mannerisms and cultural habits that are familiar to me but that isn't enough to inspire a team mentality about them.

I'm dating one right now, and so far, so good. He's the first white man that I've ever dated. Funny thing is he's from good ole Texas, and his dad is a cattle rancher. lol Go figure.

Honestly, I've never been attracted to a white man IRL, until of course I met him. We just click.
Um, I'm going to need you to update your "Is He the One" thread. I've checked for updates...didn't see anything and then I come into this thread and read this, lol. *Thread hijack over.*

I do because I like people based on who they are not what they look like. I mean I do have an initial type (I was just talking about this with my friends) but is only who I am attracted to first. Which is why I tend to date a Guy I was friends with first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Oh, I totally agree with you. This is the same African guy who won't date a black woman darker than Alicia Keys. But he went totally ballistic when I started dating the German. Self hatred/double standard much?

"Harder, n-word, harder..." :look: I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Im laughing cos the fact that you say he's African explains why he was fine with it. Bloody morons Lmfao

white people could say garbage to them and they will still grin with their stupid "I am Prince Akeem from Zamunda" teeth. Makes me sick. Obviously majority of the ones guilty of this are FOB and arent used to such things/have knowledge of such things so they dont take it as seriously as those of us who've been here a while do but it's still so annoying to me.

Im laughing cos the fact that you say he's African explains why he was fine with it. Bloody morons Lmfao

white people could say garbage to them and they will still grin with their stupid "I am Prince Akeem from Zamunda" teeth
. Makes me sick. Obviously majority of the ones guilty of this are FOB and arent used to such things/have knowledge of such things so they dont take it as seriously as those of us who've been here a while do but it's still so annoying to me.

:huh:

Are you serious?

Are you drunk?

I thought you meant whether I was serious about some FOB people allowing such disrespct? hence the "unforunately"

what exactly is YOUR problem with the comment I made?

white people could say garbage to them and they will still grin with their stupid "I am Prince Akeem from Zamunda" teeth. Makes me sick. Obviously majority of the ones guilty of this are FOB and arent used to such things/have knowledge of such things so they dont take it as seriously as those of us who've been here a while do but it's still so annoying to me.

FOB as in Fresh Off the Boat??? I really hope this is was an attempt at humour -- I'm having a hard time believing that you would come to a board full of African- American, African, Caribbean, and Latino women and say something this ignorant. Shame on you.

@ Ediese You're dating somebody and you haven't created a thread about it? I'm hurt and angry LOL hurry up and tell us about him!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

FOB as in Fresh Off the Boat??? I really hope this is was an attempt at humour -- I'm having a hard time believing that you would come to a board full of African- American, African, Caribbean, and Latino women and say something this ignorant. Shame on you.

Um Im first gen African and I dont need people who only know of the continent thru CNN telling me garbage.

Lol @ crying more than the bereaved

I suggest you and FlowerHair find out the meaning of "Naija" before embarrassing yourselves again in the future.

hmmm. I voted 3 ways

I am equal opportunity, but really black men dang near never approach me.
My first crush had blonde hair in a perfect bowl cut and blue eyes...the blue eyes thing stuck
and other - I have a thing for Jewish and Irish boys...The Irish thing...well that can be blamed on my time spent in South Boston/Dorchester, MA and the Jewish thing...welp that just is.

Um Im first gen African and I dont need people who only know of the continent thru CNN telling me garbage.

I suggest you and FlowerHair find out the meaning of "Naija" before embarrassing yourselves in the future.

We know the definition of Naija and we know the definition of Troll too.

The only one who embarrassed herself here is you. :yep:

Right.

Are you gonna hide behind Maya again or you're gonna explain what your problem is?

I was making note of how ignorant some YES FOB Africans can be when faced obvious racism re: rejuvenation's comment. they wont take it from africans of different countries but when its a white person it's all dandy..ive seen this first hand..so what's your problem again?

actually dont bother answering. I realize now that I dont care esp not from those who cant point it out on a globe :yep:

Last edited:

I suggest you and FlowerHair find out the meaning of "Naija" before embarrassing yourselves in the future.

What makes you think I don't know what Naija means? Who doesn't? Its not rocket science. I know more than you will ever know about Africa so spare me the CNN bla bla bla talk. The only person embarrassing herself is you. I have so much more to say but I won't waste anymore of my time engaging with a troll.

@ Ediese You're dating somebody and you haven't created a thread about it? I'm hurt and angry LOL hurry up and tell us about him!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Um, I'm going to need you to update your "Is He the One" thread. I've checked for updates...didn't see anything and then I come into this thread and read this, lol. *Thread hijack over.*

:lachen::lachen: Thanks ya'll! Yes, I am dating someone. I swear so much has happened, and I've been feeling so lazy to type it all out. I promise I will soon though.

Are you offended by the topic of the thread? The original post? Please elaborate.

Anyone else finding this topic offensive? Please share your thoughts/reasons. I am curious.

I was just thinking how interesting it would be to post something like this on a mans (all ethnicities) forum to get some insight into their reasons for dating outside their 'race'. Now that would be fascinating.

I'm offended because there doesnt have to be a reason to date outside of your race. I mean JEEZ does it have to be that thought out? Can't two people love each other for the sake of loving each other???
Why are people so obsessed with this idea of dating outside your race and white vs. black and UGHHH it's making my head hurt.
There's more to life and polarizing the world makes it seem not so. Im convinced more and more every day that we have alot to do with how we are perceived in society as a race.

I'm offended because there doesnt have to be a reason to date outside of your race. I mean JEEZ does it have to be that thought out? Can't two people love each other for the sake of loving each other???
Why are people so obsessed with this idea of dating outside your race and white vs. black and UGHHH it's making my head hurt.
There's more to life and polarizing the world makes it seem not so. Im convinced more and more every day that we have alot to do with how we are perceived in society as a race.

People make it seem like we're not even the same species! LOL!

I get what you mean. I would not say I am obsessed though. Human nature fascinates me and I think that my question is valid. As a child I remember seeing many Black men marrying/dating white women (my father being one), but it was rare to see Black women marrying white men. Things are changing. I am curious about this shift, hence the question. Nothing to do with obsession just curiosity and a keen interest in human behaviour and drives.

I know some people think that there is no reason, so there is that option on the poll.

Back