Why Dark Skin Black Girls Aren’t Getting Married

Kanky

Why dark-skinned black girls like me aren't getting married
Dream McClintonLast modified on Mon 8 Apr 2019 12.53 EDT
I take a deep breath and ready my fingers. I admonish myself for being theatrical about something so mundane. Another deep breath.

“Here we go,” I mutter, pressing enter.

My profile has been created. It seems simple enough: swipe left to dismiss, swipe right to express interest.

The first eligible bachelor appears – not my type, I swipe left. Then another follows – too young, I swipe left again. Ten swipes in, and I find myself texting my eldest sister this was a bad idea. A feeling of vexation settles over me.

I didn’t think I would ever have to use a dating app, but men don’t talk to me any other way.

I’ve spent so much time trying to understand what is so unattractive about me that men shun me. At first, I thought it was because I was intimidating – a word I’ve heard used to describe me. For a while, I concluded I was “not that interesting,” a line I subsequently used as my biography on social media. But those explanations won’t do.

The real issue is staring me right in the face: my deep mahogany skin.

Colorism – the prejudice based on skin tone – has stunted the romantic lives of millions of dark-skinned black women, including me. We are not as valued as our lighter-skinned counterparts when seeking romantic partners, our dating pool constricted because of something as arbitrary as shoe size.

Like other systems of racial inequality, American colorism was born out of slavery. As slave masters raped enslaved women, their lighter-skinned illegitimate offspring were given preferential treatment over their darker counterparts, often working in the house as opposed to the fields. This order has since been perpetuated by systemic racism and internalized by black people. It remains alive even now, insidiously snaking into my life.

I have many memories of being degraded because of my complexion, the most piercing is from middle school: two girls giggled in my Georgia history class during the showing of a documentary about slavery. As the film explained the origins of skin tone prejudice, one girl – biracial, hazel-eyed and the only other black girl in class – whispered that she would have been a house slave, but that I would have been a field slave. As the famous image of whipped Peter played on screen, I sank down in my chair, silently greeting the weight of oppression on my 12-year-old shoulders.

In many ways, nothing has changed since that day. Dark skin still not only comes with the expectation of lower class but lessened beauty, not to mention uncleanliness, lesser intelligence and a diminished attractiveness. Meanwhile, everywhere we look, women like me see successful black men coupled with fair-skinned female partners who pass the paper bag test – a remnant of the Reconstruction era, where the only black people worthy of attention had to be lighter than a paper bag. This “test” was even instituted in places such as historically black colleges and universities as an informal part of the admissions process.

Today, this gradation discrimination remains. “It’s typical to see light-skinned black women as representing beauty in the black community and therefore being highly desirable for high-status spouses,” says Dr Margaret Hunter, who teaches sociology at Oakland’s Mills College and has studied the relationship between marriage and colorism for over two decades. Hunter sums it up like this: “Black women in general marry less than other races but darker-skinned black women marry men of lower social status than the lightest-skinned black women.”

The lighter the shade, the higher the probability of marriage
Jasmine Turner, owner of BlackMatchMade, a Chicago-based matchmaking company, agrees this affects all black women. “Honestly, I think black women tend to lower their standards because they’re finding challenges in dating. Now I’m finding that black women are like ‘You know what, as long as he has a good job and he’s a good person …’ No matter how successful they are, they’re open to dating him.”

I’ve never been one to settle. I’ve taken this attitude to the app, only searching for men who are gainfully employed and fairly decent-looking. But I definitely understand what she means. Previously, dating has made me feel like I must drop some of my must-have criteria – a college education, a steady job, and able and willing to pay for the first date – in order to find a match. My mother has even scolded me for it, telling me to raise my standards: “I’ve been on a lot of dates, and no girl should ever pay for a first date!”

But my feelings of a necessary drop in standards have been validated by research from Dr Darrick Hamilton, a professor of economics and sociology at Ohio State University. Hamilton aggregated information from the 2003 Multi-City Study of Urban Equality to identify why so many dark-skinned women who date men remain bachelorettes. His assessment was designed to show how the imbalance of eligible black males – taking into account high incarceration rates and a limited labor market – affects the marriage market.

His research shows that a scarcity in available “high-status” husbands (defined as higher levels of education, not growing up on public assistance, coming from neighborhoods that had less crime), effectively leave black men in control of the dating selection process. His data concluded 55% of light-skinned women were married while only 23% of dark-skinned women had jumped the broom.

“[Black men] have unnatural power within marriage markets that enables them to bid up cursory characteristics like skin shade,” Hamilton told me over the phone. In other words, the lighter the female, the higher the probability of marriage. “One of the results that we found was that [darker-complexioned] black women who have ‘higher status’ faced a greater penalty in marriage markets than those with a lower socioeconomic status.”

According to his research, I am the epitome of the “high-status” option. College educated, familial middle class background, age 16-30, able-bodied. But according to the equation, I haven’t the “social capital” (read: skin tone) to seek a quality match.

But before even entertaining thoughts of marriage, I have to get past the dating stage. Turner says she often sees black men pass up perfectly eligible dark-skinned women. “Black men will say, ‘complexion doesn’t matter’, but they might give that lighter complexion woman who is very comparable to a darker-complexion woman a chance, when they wouldn’t give that darker-skinned woman a chance.”

The effects play out in the lives of women like me and my friend Larissa. We usually like to talk about sci-fi books and traveling, but today I ask her if she’s ever felt diminished by men due to her complexion. “Sometimes, I can kinda feel their eyes sliding off of me to go the pretty white girl next to me, or even the fairer-skinned Yara Shahidi type,” she says, a twinge of sadness in her voice. While she sees herself getting married, she doesn’t know if she will end up with a black man. “I don’t necessarily see myself walking down the aisle with a black guy. Not because I’ve written them off or because I don’t want to, but just realistically, based on how the dating life has been treating me and how I’ve been approached.”

'People don't even look at me': eight black women discuss politics of light and dark skin – video
Julia Wadley of North Carolina’s matchmaking service EliSimone, which caters to a mostly black clientele, has observed this dynamic in her field. “I’ve had colleagues who were like, ‘Hey, I have a black client and he’s open to any race’. I’m like ‘Oh, OK, great! I’ll send you a couple of matches who fit what he’s looking for. Then they’ll come back and say, ‘She’s too ethnic looking’.”

I know exactly what she means, but I ask anyway: “What would ‘too ethnic’ mean, in terms of look?”

“Dark skin. Someone who is probably brown to dark skin. Someone with natural hair. Someone who is over the size of six,” she answers. “I would bet $5,000 every single one of my black colleagues have had that happen. Where they’ll come back and say, ‘Uh, well, he’s only looking for someone who is very fair’; or, ‘He’s looking for someone who is light-skinned’.”

Still, Wadley tells me, she hoped I’m not writing a “woe is me, nobody wants dark-skinned girls” article. I wince hearing it, hoping for the same, deep down. But this topic doesn’t lend itself to optimism.

‘It made me feel like I would never be wanted’
Writing this piece, a memory I had long forgotten resurfaces. At university, on the line for the security check-in for dorms, I bumped into a friend of my former roommate. I inquired about something someone had said. Immediately, his face changed from joy to anger. “You’re too dark to be talking to me like this, Dream,” he sneered. Hurt to the point of rage, I bristled and walked away. We never had a conversation again.

I aimlessly skim the app late one night, swiping left, right, right, left. I’ve only made a few matches since downloading it the week before. Then, I come across a profile. “I only date light-skinned women…” reads his bio, even though his skin tone matches mine. I wasn’t going to swipe right in the first place – he was not cute – but I still feel the bristle of my sophomore year. I roll my eyes, and swipe to the next one.

I would like to think I’ve grown up since that 19-year-old who was insulted at the gate of my dorm. My dark skin is not something to be ashamed of, even if past lovers made it clear they were ashamed to be associated with me because of it. I’ve been all of it before – I’m dating someone but there’s a secrecy to our relationship: hands that only hold yours in private, a reluctance to present you to family and friends, kisses that only meet your lips when no one else can see.

I hate that I’ve had to beg for legitimacy in my intimate relationships. I hate that my friends have had to do so too. I want love, but my self-esteem is too high a price to pay.

Sharlene and I met at a Kendrick Lamar concert during our freshman year of college and we’ve stayed in contact ever since. Knowing she’s shared similar sentiments about dating in the past, I get in touch, hoping to round out my perspective on the matter. “I feel like dark-skinned women were just the women that men had behind closed doors. They weren’t trophy wives enough for you to show to the world. Somebody wouldn’t want to show me off but, next thing you know, they’ve got somebody lighter and they’re showing them off … It made me feel like I would never be wanted.”

Deflated, I talk to Elizabeth, my former sophomore-year roommate, who is now in her third year of law school. I ask if a partner has said anything rude to her because of her skin tone. She names a man I know, to my dismay. “There was just a comment that he made one time. [He said] ‘I want a white family’.” She laughs: “It was just so weird to me because you’re telling me you want a white family. I can’t give you that! Like, why are you talking to me?”

“I want a white family.” The words stick with me for the rest of the day, weighing me down like a bale of cotton. It brings tears to my eyes. I wonder: are dark-skinned women just the placeholders until they meet their desired match? Do all these men really just want white families?

A few nights into the app, another guy pops up on my screen – decent looking and seemingly gainfully employed. I’m mildly interested. His profile bio is just one line: “The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.”

My immediate thoughts warn me of a possible fetish. Dating with dark skin often comes with a double-edged sword: we are unwanted, except by men who want to create an experience out of us, leaving our personhood out of the equation altogether. We become empty objects, vehicles for pleasure, rather than multi-dimensional beings.

Hunter vocalizes this sentiment. “At the same time, there’s also a kind of fetishization of darker skin. So sometimes you’ll hear people say ‘I only like dark-skinned women’ or that ‘dark skin is sexy’ or something like that,” she tells me. “Not that those things aren’t true or good, but they also kind of objectifying or sexualizing in a way that isn’t necessarily the solution to the discrimination. It’s an inversion, basically.”

The bachelor on my screen shares my mahogany skin tone. But I’m wary he, like other black men, may fall victim to this form of objectification. I remember how Sharlene expressed her frustrations with her beauty being seen as skin deep. “We can’t get just get a regular compliment,” she laments. “I know that people think that calling me chocolate all the time, or talking about ‘your skin is beautiful’ is a compliment. But why can’t I just be beautiful?”

I hear what she and Dr Hunter are saying, but my choices are few. I feel limited; I was made to feel this way. In the end, I swipe right. My screen darkens, proclaiming a match has been made. We chat, but the spark isn’t there.

But three weeks after joining the app, I finally hit a stride and start having more fun. I’ve matched with someone who seems promising. He’s smart, we work in the same industry, and our conversations online have been pleasant. I ask him to meet, and he agrees.

We are meeting at a food hall; for me, it’s a short walk and a train across town but feels like a world away. A slew of hopes run through me on the way over. I hope I’ll be just as attracted to him in person as I am online. I hope he won’t murder me.

I approach the hall, take a deep breath, and ready my fingers to pull the door open. “Here we go,” I whisper to myself.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/08/dark-skinned-black-girls-dont-get-married

tenor.gif

:lol:

Skimmed article.

I beat the stats. I'm a dark skinned woman and married. Praise the Lord!!! :toocool:

But in all seriousness, yes colorism exists. Not gonna deny it like many do here. I see it every day in various aspects of my life.

I've mentioned this before...but I was surprised that I got married before all of my friends. Mostly because many of them are light skinned and get more attention than me. But quantity does not equal quality.

To all my fellow chocolate beauties, don't let articles like this get you down. If you want to get married to the person of your dreams, keep believing that he/she is out there for you! Focus on those that appreciate you.

Honestly, I see women of all colors, shapes, and sizes married on my timeline. Getting married is easy. Finding someone of quality to marry and staying married is the challenge.

I know men have their preferences regarding every part of a womans’s appearance (and let’s not act like we don’t have them for men) and will state them openly... but as many that shy away from darker complexions there are as many who simply don’t care and even more that love the way you look.

"But three weeks after joining the app, I finally hit a stride and start having more fun. I’ve matched with someone who seems promising. He’s smart, we work in the same industry, and our conversations online have been pleasant. I ask him to meet, and he agrees."

He's not interested in her either.

I am so tired of these insecure and socially inept black women writing dissertations about why light skinned women are the root of their problems. Then have the nerve to want to be combative about it. It’s like they never want to acknowledge the real bully or stand up to their true oppressors, so they backtrack and assert their abrasive hostility toward a group within their own kind, in which they believe their unpleasant advances of tyranny can be practiced with the least resistance.

This is coming from a light skinned woman (or shall I say golden honey) complexion girl who had to experience MY OWN people hating my guts, not because they knew anything about me, but because of how I looked. Cry. Me. A. River. And if the river can’t wash away your black then learn how to let your complexion glisten in the wetness so you can stay out of my reflection pond and worry bout yoself.

Last edited:
"But three weeks after joining the app, I finally hit a stride and start having more fun. I’ve matched with someone who seems promising. He’s smart, we work in the same industry, and our conversations online have been pleasant. I ask him to meet, and he agrees."

He's not interested in her either.

Because women when they believe they're too black, too fat, too skinny, too ugly will keep backing up and backing up until they've talked themselves out of having any requests of a potential suitor; they're just happy to be there. Men don't move that way which is why she can recount all these instances of men letting her know loudly she's not what they want and she better be on her toes if they deign to give her some play.

Umm... beloved who hurt you :look: :bighug:. It really doesn't reflect at all on YOU, but the sociological factors that promotes a preference that quite honestly excludes the "regular, degular" "cute" dark brown skinned girls who don't have EXCEPTIONALLY gorgeous faces or light eyes to offset their complexion. You drew the ire of a small subset of our community whereas the women in the article have had to contend with the denigration of almost everyone. How can one help but be insecure when society, including their own, denigrate their appearances for no other reason than their complexion? And people can be exceptionally dehumanizing and cruel about how less than they think you are.

A black/mixed male friend with whom I had formed a very deep friendship, stated that despite his OBVIOUS attraction to me, I would be much more attractive if I was white :sad:. I mean quite literally said if I were white, I'd ago from a 6->8.5/9 :nono:. I'm not going to lie and say it didn't sting a bit because I deeply cared for him and was low-key mutually attracted; however, knowing his preferences and other flaws, I knew off the bat is was a no-go. Funny thing is that he's not even my type, but I surely would have never said such a thing. That was one of only a handful of instances where my color was referred to as a detractor, despite men confessing their attraction to me. I find it especially strange because almost all of these instances, we were solidly in the friend zone. Having experienced this treatment firsthand as a solidly medium brown BW, I can't imagine what even darker skinned sisters go through.When **** like that happens consistently enough, it can make anyone weary and I won't begrudge them a pity party cuz I've sure as heck had a few myself :ohwell:. Of course, YMMV but it would help if we all had some empathy.

I am so tired of these insecure and socially inept black women writing dissertations about why light skinned women are the root of their problems. Then have the nerve to want to be combative about it. It’s like they never want to acknowledge the real bully or stand up to their true oppressors, so they backtrack and assert their abrasive hostility toward a group within their own kind, in which they believe their unpleasant advances of tyranny can be practiced with the least resistance.

This is coming from a light skinned woman (or shall I say golden honey) complexion girl who had to experience MY OWN people hating my guts, not because they knew anything about me, but because of how I looked. Cry. Me. A. River. And if the river can’t wash away your black then learn how to let your complexion glisten in the wetness so you can stay out of my reflection pond and worry bout yoself.

My immediate thoughts warn me of a possible fetish. Dating with dark skin often comes with a double-edged sword: we are unwanted, except by men who want to create an experience out of us, leaving our personhood out of the equation altogether. We become emptyobjects, vehicles for pleasure,rather than multi-dimensionalbeings.

She should speak for herself. Yes, colorism exists, but her article wreaks of insecurity, and I say that as a dark skinned woman.

Like right here:
“I know that people think that calling me chocolate all the time, or talking about ‘your skin is beautiful’ is a compliment. But why can’t I just be beautiful?”

How are you going to complain about your complexion being the reason for not being seen as beautiful/desirable, but when people say that they find your skin beautiful you refuse to accept it as a compliment?

tenor.gif

:lol:

Skimmed article.

I beat the stats. I'm a dark skinned woman and married. Praise the Lord!!! :toocool:

But in all seriousness, yes colorism exists. Not gonna deny it like many do here. I see it every day in various aspects of my life.

I've mentioned this before...but I was surprised that I got married before all of my friends. Mostly because many of them are light skinned and get more attention than me. But quantity does not equal quality.

To all my fellow chocolate beauties, don't let articles like this get you down. If you want to get married to the person of your dreams, keep believing that he/she is out there for you! Focus on those that appreciate you.

Honestly, I see women of all colors, shapes, and sizes married on my timeline. Getting married is easy. Finding someone of quality to marry and staying married is the challenge.

I'm a little curious. Did your parents or other family members say anything to you about your skin color and possible attraction to guys?

I ask because one of my DD's is what's considered dark-skinned. She's too young to even think about this right now but I have a few things in mind that I may tell her when she's a little older. Nothing but positive things though.

She should speak for herself. Yes, colorism exists, but her article wreaks of insecurity, and I say that as a dark skinned woman.

Like right here:

How are you going to complain about your complexion being the reason for not being seen as beautiful/desirable, but when people say that they find your skin beautiful you refuse to accept it as a compliment?

I don't know, I am not chocolate but I don't like that either. You can say a darker woman is beautiful without adding in something about skin and some food references. Similar to how generally people call other women beautiful without saying they have beautiful graham cracker colored skin or whatever. I don't know, I get her ire there.

But that's not what she wrote.
Sometimes people have made assumptions about my husband due to his skin color. So I am quite sure that black men are just whining when they say the same. He got over it and is an emotionally healthy, gainfully employed adult. All people suffer from assumptions based on appearance. Sarcasm

Girl, what?

I don't know, I am not chocolate but I don't like that either. You can say a darker woman is beautiful without adding in something about skin and some food references. Similar to how generally people call other women beautiful without saying they have beautiful graham cracker colored skin or whatever. I don't know, I get her ire there.

People don’t like graham crackers like that.

I get your point but light skinned women are described as caramel, pecan, or honey colored. In society describing something desirable is not that unusual.

Is she trolling? I see nothing wrong with her outside. She looks better than I EVER have and no guy ever fixed his face to tell me I was too dark and I might be darker than her.

It’s something else. Her picker, demeanor, location, not knowing how to date, projecting an expectation of rejection... something. At a minimum, she needs to woosah and stop pre-rejecting herself on behalf of these dudes.
Well, this is she. So what's the problem?

View attachment 445283

Well, this is she. So what's the problem?

View attachment 445283

For one thing her education. Many black men are intimidated by educated women. They lump all of them into the don’t need a man category whether they belong there or not. Highly educated black women with upper middle class to upper class salaries are having issues in the dating arena-period. But she has decided to not factor that in to her equation. Not taking away that some ignorant men are looking at skin color but she is generalizing and ignoring other factors that are contributing to her singleness.

Last edited:

Sure, but if someone finds a particular feature beautiful/striking, what’s wrong with complimenting that feature? I can see if we were talking about backhanded compliments such as “you’re pretty for a dark skin girl,” but how is saying “you have beautiful chocolate skin” any different from saying:

“You have beautiful doe eyes”
“You have the smile of an angel”
“Your skin is glowing”
“Lovely golden locks”
“Milky white skin”

I respect the fact that these types of compliments can be a turn off for some, though.

Last edited:
I'm a little curious. Did your parents or other family members say anything to you about your skin color and possible attraction to guys?

I ask because one of my DD's is what's considered dark-skinned. She's too young to even think about this right now but I have a few things in mind that I may tell her when she's a little older. Nothing but positive things though.

My parents never acknowledged my skin color as a child...or ever actually.
They just always told me I was beautiful, forget boys and focus on my books. :lol:

If I had a dark skin daughter, I would definitely tell her how beautiful her skin is though because I know she won't be getting it from outside sources like other skin colors do constantly.

My grandmother is dark with the most beautiful skin ever. People call her KitKat and I always thought it was cute. Everybody is called a color reference of some sort, not just blacks. Whites have olive, carrot (hair), milky. Latinos have theirs too.

They just always told me I was beautiful, forget boys and focus on my books. :lol:

If I had a dark skin daughter, I would definitely tell her how beautiful her skin is though because I know she won't be getting it from outside sources like other skin colors do constantly.

Thanks for responding. I tell her she's absolutely gorgeous all the time. Then again I also do the same for my other 2 girls, they're all varying shades of brown.

I think the thing with my family is that we have all different shades of brown due to lots of race mixing on both sides 2 generations ago. There's not any color issue that isn't easily identified with my parents and aunts and uncles. Light/light, light/dark, dark/dark. My girls can never say there's not a light or darker woman in their family who hasn't found an awesome love during their life. Not one and I expect nothing less for them.
I may be jaded, but I think it's just because of my upbringing. Thankfully, this is just not an issue I've seen make much of a difference in marriage or finding a healthy relationship.

Believe it or not, all caramel or yellow-colored ladies aren't constantly getting the compliments from others. I never, ever got them but was just an awkward, lanky kid. Thankfully I've come into my own as an adult though and with the help of some makeup. DD with the darkest skin has the most beautiful doe eyes, long eyelashes and curly hair. She's definitely complimented the most when around my side of the family.

Believe it or not, all caramel or yellow-colored ladies aren't constantly getting the compliments from others. I never, ever got them but was just an awkward, lanky kid. Thankfully I've come into my own as an adult though and with the help of some makeup. DD with the darkest skin has the most beautiful doe eyes, long eyelashes and curly hair. She's definitely complimented the most when around my side of the family.

Good point.
I was referring more to mainstream society like movies, music, and TV shows. As we all know, most of the black female love interests are light skinned. Most black male celebs have lighter girlfriends/wives. And every other r&b and rap song on the radio mentions their preference for "yellow" girls.

So I'm glad she is getting praise at home and not depending on society for validation.

Sure, but if someone finds a particular feature beautiful/striking, what’s wrong with complimenting that feature? I can see if we were talking about backhanded compliments such as “you’re pretty for a dark skin girl,” but how is saying “you have beautiful chocolate skin” any different from saying:

“You have beautiful doe eyes”
“You have the smile of an angel”
“Your skin is glowing”
“Lovely golden locks”
“Milky white skin”

I respect the fact that these types of compliments can be a turn off for some, though.

I think that oftentimes people take offense to these type of compliments when it’s not something that they like about themselves. They don’t want to be identified by that feature, period. If you’re a dark skinned woman and you’re insecure about your skin tone, even in compliment form the person is still letting you know that you’re dark. It’s like, “you’re dark... I like it though”. They’re always either being told that they’re dark and ugly, or dark chocolate sexy, but always a constant reminder that they’re dark, unusual, other.

Sorts OT...

My co-worker has a thing for noses. Particularly certain African/ethnic noses. She is always complimenting someone on their “beautiful nose”. I can always tell who doesn’t like their nose. They look/act like they’ve just been exposed. Last week somebody was about to cuss her out. Lol

Back