• Yes

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other, I will explain below

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't use cookbooks. I like the internet as a resource, because I can get several different versions of a recipe and tweak it until it's exactly the way I want it. I want to do what my gramma used to do...put all my recipes on index cards and give them to my kids.

I also use my dh as a resource because he's a chef, but he gets on my nerves sometimes because he's a perfectionist. He always wants to come in and correct the position of my knife or pass me the meat thermometer.:wallbash::lachen:

I don't use cookbooks. I like the internet as a resource, because I can get several different versions of a recipe and tweak it until it's exactly the way I want it. I want to do what my gramma used to do...put all my recipes on index cards and give them to my kids.

I also use my dh as a resource because he's a chef, but he gets on my nerves sometimes because he's a perfectionist. He always wants to come in and correct the position of my knife or pass me the meat thermometer.:wallbash::lachen:

This is a great idea. MY SO got me a scrapbook to put all my recipes in but I have like 200 papers lying around and I always get tomato sauce and olive oil all over them.

I'd say that's about right (in general). I got married at 23 and hated cooking at first, but the more I practiced it, the better I got.

Yep, I got married at 24 and HATED cooking. UGH.....I just sort of trudged along though and really enjoyed it.

OT: Lauren check out my beach hair siggy! I think your won for wildest hair though:yep:

Yes, Yes and Yes.

Dh sits down and I bring his plate to him

I do it as a nice gesture. I'm a true southern girl, its what my mama did, my grandma did, Its what I was taught to do I guess. I don't even give it any thought. Even now, when we are together with my parents, my mom gets up and fixes my dads plate, I fix dh's (all after the kids) if my mom is still busy in the kitchen, I fix my dad's plate.

I posted about this once before and was shocked it was such a big deal????

I was at a family reunion and some of my unmarried cousins from Ohio were in shock b/c I was in line and they asked me why I had two plates, I said oh this is my plate and dh's. They were like:blush::blush::blush:

I guess its a part of me and my total feminine role I like to play. Dh really appreciates it though, i do small thngs to make him feel good, he does big things to take care of me. its just not that big of a deal to me. I don't have his shoes waiting at the door or anything and I'm a very independent woman, I just truly believe that men like those little small old fashioned albeit, feminine gestures

Ditto. I totally agree. If DH is working in the yard or just hasn't made it home yet he will find his plate in the microwave. MIL lived with us for a time her upbringing was lacking and she never had a healthy relationship. I had to let her know that the only plate in the microwave is the the one waiting for DH. [Don't flame me she was rent free. I paid for that microwave][OH let me make sure-you can microwave all you want just be sure to put DH back in the.....]

Last edited:
You're a big exception to the rule. The young girls I know are "I don't cook" all smacking like its 'cute' I'm like ummmm that aint cute.:grin:

You think so? I thought it was just a trend and that there are a lot of girls out there my age (24 and under) that know how to cook. Sure some think it's cute until their man is all up in someone else's face who will cook at the drop of a hat.

Well I'll chime in and say that I HATE cooking...I hate it:perplexed but I love to clean. thank god all of the guys I liked love to cook. not to say that will never do it for him or my kids, but trust it will not be an everyday occurence.

That's very interesting.

You think so? I thought it was just a trend and that there are a lot of girls out there my age (24 and under) that know how to cook. Sure some think it's cute until their man is all up in someone else's face who will cook at the drop of a hat.

:lachen::lachen:yep

Ditto. I totally agree. If DH is working in the yard or just hasn't made it home yet he will find his plate in the microwave. MIL lived with us for a time her upbringing was lacking and she never had a healthy relationship. I had to let her know that the only plate in the microwave is the the one waiting for DH. [Don't flame me she was rent free. I paid for that microwave]

I like that. My best friend's mom always had her hubby's plate in the microwave when he got home. I was always in awe of her. She would cook a whole meal, eat, clean the kitchen thoroughly, and have that plate in the microwave and a beer chilling in the fridge. When he got home, she would sit with him in front of the TV while he ate. Now that's devotion.:yep:

No I liked it, that's why I wanted to take one!!! I was in the bathroom and dh was like WTF are you doing:lachen:

Yeah, but I'm sure he liked it though. Men love that wild look (again, with my beach hair being the exception to that rule:lachen::lachen:)! It's so pretty. How often do you wear it down like that?

I'm glad there are no "rules" around my house.

I usually cook, because I like too and I am the best at it, but as far as making plates go, it all depends. I only make his plate if I feel like it or if there is some other special reason, like I wanna get everything put away quickly or if I made something special and it needs to be on the plate a certain way. If he is not home when dinner is ready, I fix his plate and put it in the microwave.

I guess we both just do what we are good at or don’t mind doing.

Yeah, but I'm sure he liked it though. Men love that wild look (again, with my beach hair being the exception to that rule:lachen::lachen:)! It's so pretty. How often do you wear it down like that?

I was like well shooot...I need some hair pic updates:look:

I seldom wear it wild like that, that was zero product, after saltwater and sand..... it was a total bummed out looked i'd been having:lachen:

Its funny I don't identify as traditional, but I have traditional moments. Currently, I make dh's lunches for work and when he had night school, I usually had food waiting for him when he got home.

I don't gravitate towards cooking, but I can certainly do it. I enjoyed it as a child until I got the message that women are supposed to cook. That took a lot of the joy out of it for me :(.

However, seeing dh respond to my cooking puts some of the joy back.

Its funny I don't identify as traditional, but I have traditional moments. Currently, I make dh's lunches for work and when he had night school, I usually had food waiting for him when he got home.

That's me. If I don't prepare his plate he eats cereal.

I am not married nor do I have a SO. In my family, we have the serving dishes on the table and we take food in order. My father usually gives the go ahead and then we proceed; we each serve ourselves.

So when I do get married, I'll probably still to that. I cook the food, set the table, clear the table, and wash the dishes if that counts for anything :)

I have a question for the ladies who fix their SO's plates.

Is this also done when the serving dishes are on the dinner table? Or do you just fix the plate from the cooking pots in the kitchen, then bring to the table?

ETA: I've never heard of this until today. The closest thing for me is bringing back food if the person didn't attend the party, barb-b-q, etc..

You said you understood why people did it in the past, but not today. Dont some people's situation still mirror the dynamics of yesteryear?

Yes but not most. Back then most men and women met to be married. They really didn't date 3 or 4 women/men at the same time to have fun.

I have a question for the ladies who fix their SO's plates.

Is this also done when the serving dishes are on the dinner table? Or do you just fix the plate from the cooking pots in the kitchen, then bring to the table?

ETA: I've never heard of this until today. The closest thing for me is bringing back food if the person didn't attend the party, barb-b-q, etc..

Yes if the serving dishes are on the table, I still fix it. But we rarely put the serving dishes out, I like to fix plates from the kitchen and bring them out

Back