• Yes

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other, I will explain below

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I often wonder about the ages of people that do certain things though. I'm 32. I cook and alot of younger girls don't. IDK, its interesting.

I cook as well. During the week I'm a SAHM. I do most of the cooking and cleaning. That's why I'm not coming at anyone for something that I do my self.

Yes but not most. Back then most men and women met to be married. They really didn't date 3 or 4 women/men at the same time to have fun.
I dont get it. Are you addressing this to women with SOs? Because married folk shouldnt be dating. I have no idea how the dating 3 or men or women are relevant.

The only person I fix plates for is my DH and I didnt do that when we were courting.

Dannnnnggggg!! You are OLD OLD school, lol

Let's see...I was a debutant, I was raised by a strict OLD SCHOOL southern army officer and an educator...and look at my location: GRITS girls raised in the south!!!

But hey....like I said I get what I want from dh:yep:so it must work. Including the rock I asked for when I got married:grin:

Oh wait, I have another question, bear with me, lol

If he wants seconds, do you fix it also?

Nah...he will get up if he wants seconds. But I do bring his drink out as well when dinner is ready.

Now my mom, will JUMP UP AND RUN in there to re-fill my dad's plate, bring him another drink. The funny thing is, my mom owns a business, has two degrees...she's not some sit in the corner chick. I just think like myself, she enjoys doing that small thing for him.

My dad is 65 though, he probably expects it:look: Dh doesn't expect it, like I said, I never asked him to fix my plate.

I don't know why I find this weird, but it would seem like the natural thing to do. If I am cooking (rare) or getting up to get food at a bbq, buffet, etc I would make his plate, and the same thing goes for him if the shoe was on the other foot.:look:

I dont get it. Are you addressing this to women with SOs? Because married folk shouldnt be dating. I have no idea how the dating 3 or men or women are relevant.

The only person I fix plates for is my DH and I didnt do that when we were courting.

Dont some people's situation still mirror the dynamics of yesteryear?

I say yes and No to the questions above. :lachen: I know married folk shouldn't be dating. I'm saying basically thing are most of the time not the way it was when My mother, grandmother was growing up. I use the dating thing as an example.

I am honestly in awe at how many of you fix your SO's plate. There's nothing wrong with doing it, but I never would have guessed that so many of you do that. I can't say that I have never done it, but it's definitely not something that's habitual for me.

Thank the good Lord! *wipes sweat off brow* I mean if I were married...a resounding YES to the fixing of the plate! I mean I was brought up by a Southern mother... but I am dating someone. It's not my duty...yet. I don't feel obligated.

Now upon marriage? You betcha.

Nah...he will get up if he wants seconds. But I do bring his drink out as well when dinner is ready.

Now my mom, will JUMP UP AND RUN in there to re-fill my dad's plate, bring him another drink. The funny thing is, my mom owns a business, has two degrees...she's not some sit in the corner chick. I just think like myself, she enjoys doing that small thing for him.

My dad is 65 though, he probably expects it:look: Dh doesn't expect it, like I said, I never asked him to fix my plate.

That's sweet :)

I'm familiar w/bringing the drink out. I do that, I pour the drink or water in the glass...

I am honestly in awe at how many of you fix your SO's plate. There's nothing wrong with doing it, but I never would have guessed that so many of you do that. I can't say that I have never done it, but it's definitely not something that's habitual for me.

I'm surprise I do it to. When i was growing up I said I was not going to cook and clean for no man. But when we moved to our own apartment I have to feed our kids and my self. I started learning how to cook and I just always made and served their plates. They sit at the table and i serve them because I don't want no one in my kitchen after I finished cleaning it.

Let's see...I was a debutant, I was raised by a strict OLD SCHOOL southern army officer and an educator...and look at my location: GRITS girls raised in the south!!!

But hey....like I said I get what I want from dh:yep:so it must work. Including the rock I asked for when I got married:grin:

ok MissScarlett. you da boss, aiight? ::bows down::

::gets back up quickly::: lol

Dont some people's situation still mirror the dynamics of yesteryear?

I say yes and No to the questions above. :lachen: I know married folk shouldn't be dating. I'm saying basically thing are most of the time not the way it was when My mother, grandmother was growing up. I use the dating thing as an example.
I am so lost chica!:spinning:

Thank the good Lord! *wipes sweat off brow* I mean if I were married...a resounding YES to the fixing of the plate! I mean I was brought up by a Southern mother... but I am dating someone. It's not my duty...yet. I don't feel obligated.

Now upon marriage? You betcha.
I am a huge believer in making a man buy the cow. Giving milk away does not work for me.

I don't do it for any specific reason its just what I do. I didn't use to do it but when we started dating seriously or had been dating for a while I just started doing it. I wait to eat until we have blessed the food together. Its just something that I do, I have seen my mother and the ladies in my family do it and so I just do...more out of respect for my husband than anything though

What if someone's man was making 2 or 3 times her salary and worked more hours?

See, the opposite is true in my household. My husband makes a good salary, but mine is approx 3X his and I work sometimes 12 hours per day. I used to cook when I got home and fix his plate, but that was just too much. All in all, I think it really depends on what's reasonable. You can't have a man that has an "easy" job or no job at all expecting you to buy the food, clean the food, cook the food AND serve it to him after a 12 hr day while he's already been home from work for four or five hours. I think it has more to do with roles as defined by your current relationship, than the roles of your parents and grandparents. It's about reciprocal respect, which from the sound of it, is what most of the ladies responding get.

I fix a plate and serve my hubby cos I enjoy doing it. However he cleans up after he is done:grin: He fixes me a plate when he cooks or sometimes before I get home from work. When we are out, he loves to fix a plate for both of us while I'm getting a plate for our daughter. But visiting family, I fix our plates cos that's the way I was brought up.
While we were courting, he did all that including cooking for me- he used to stress me then about cooking for him cos secretly I guess he was trying to ensure he married a good cook cos my husband looooves food!:lachen: I never gave in and told him he had to trust that he was. Now we are working on keeping him fit and not fat!!!!!

In a marriage, I say 'who's counting'?

When I have dinner parties, I make ppl's plate. I think its out of habot because I do it for my little cousins and the children in the family.

On the off chance I have an SO and we have dinner, I'll make the plate if I'm still standing by the stove. But if I was at his place he'd make mine.

When I get married I guess I'll be makin plates but I'm sure he will too

If i'm cooking, sure, and he does the same for me when he cooks. I don't see it as a trial or burden. Sometimes I cook he shares, he cooks I share. Sometimes we just get up and make our own plates. No one feels obligated. This is my SO by the way.

Yes.

I also usually fix visitors and kids plates when I'm cooking.

I like to do it because I think it's polite. I also don't like anyone slopping in the pans or getting stuff everywhere.

O-kay!
I hate people making a mess in my kitchen:wallbash:
he'll eat things he wouldn't put on his plate if he fixed it himself

I have and will fix plates if I'm cooking for anybody.

However, I AM SICK OF PEOPLE (especially old school folk) ASSUMING I SHOULD FIX PLATES BECAUSE I HAVE A VAGINA!!!

Stupid arse gender roles to common everyday ISH!!!

mini rant over

Growing up, whenever we had guests at our house for dinner my Mom would make a big production out of saying that she didn't fix anyone's plate.(including my Dad's) I guess that was her way of saying to get up and get it yourself. The whole thing was rather embarrassing.:ohwell:

I'm not married but I wouldn't mind fixing my husband's plate.

Me and your mother are -------->here<------------

I'f I'm cooking, you are plating.

I like that. My best friend's mom always had her hubby's plate in the microwave when he got home. I was always in awe of her. She would cook a whole meal, eat, clean the kitchen thoroughly, and have that plate in the microwave and a beer chilling in the fridge. When he got home, she would sit with him in front of the TV while he ate. Now that's devotion.:yep:

See that makes sense to me. I would do the same. I'm not totally new school. And I would hope he would do the same for you. And I would think most guys do this now also. But some men are stuck back in the 1950's and expect certain duties from a woman. THAT I can't deal with. Automatic deal breaker.

I agree with all that say, whoever is cooking, is making plates. When I cook, I make DH's plate. Not cause IIthink it's my duty but cause I am done cooking, and I am about to make myself a plate.

DH makes me a plate when he cooks as well.

I agree with all that say, whoever is cooking, is making plates. When I cook, I make DH's plate. Not cause IIthink it's my duty but cause I am done cooking, and I am about to make myself a plate.

DH makes me a plate when he cooks as well.

I asked God for exactly what I wanted in a man but I totally left off the cooking part:yep: My dh has never attempted to cook a meal, he can't cook. I guess cause he and the other men were out waiting on their plates :lol:

I asked God for exactly what I wanted in a man but I totally left off the cooking part:yep: My dh has never attempted to cook a meal, he can't cook. I guess cause he and the other men were out waiting on their plates :lol:

I will ask GOD for a man who can cook and clean.....OR an affordable maid.

Whichever comes first! LOL

I do it all year except June through Mid-August and that's because there's no sport on to distract him from going into the kitchen to fix his own plate. If I didn't fix his place, he'd starve!

I'd like to fix my husband's plate, but he likes to do it himself because he's so greedy and only likes certain things:ohwell:.

Back