Making plates for your SO

I would have given him the evil stare down. Old folks always try to control things with their dated nonsense.

I fix my SOs plate just to be nice. Sometimes he fixes mine. It's not rocket science.

I love the way they tend to add never-before-seen scriptures to the bible. :lachen:

in addition to being wanted, my spouse wants to be NEEDED... If giving up some of that percieved independence makes him feel needed and loved, then I'm down for the cause...

My friends have tried to school me on this idea. :lol: And I totally get it too. My psychology professor (who specialized in evolutionary psychology) and I use to discuss this quite a bit as he was a huge proponent of gender roles and how they are instinctually rooted. It definitely explained a lot of the behavior of my past boyfriends, lol! Sure their rushing to the door to open it for me, and insisting on carrying my bags was flattering at first, but after a while I was like "yeah...um...you know I think my arm isn't gonna fall off if I open my own door or carry my shopping bag". :lol:

Hopefully if I meet the right guy then the behaviors won't feel so awkward? Or maybe I'll luck out and meet guy who hates mowing the lawn but loves doing the dishes, lol! :woot: Ah! A match made in heaven!

Now, I wouldn't go as far as serving children or my husband's friends, because they are not my spouse and they can fix their plates themselves lol ...but for my husband, yes. I believe men who work hard deserve a little pampering every once in a while. Just like some women like their feet rubbed...it's not a difficult task, and it a little thing that's shows a lot of love. One is not obliged to do this as a women, but all gender roles can't go out the window as if they are all terribly demeaning. It's what makes marriage beautiful and worthwhile.

I was raised traditionally southern as well and women always fixed the plates for their husbands. However, this duty wasn't forced upon non-married couples. The thinking of the females I grew up around was generally that you don't do wifely duties for a man who isn't your husband. If a man wants the KING treatment, he needs to put a ring on it. Hmm...perhaps this is what Beyonce was talking about!:lachen:

ITA with them. No wifely duties until I was a wife.:yep:

My friends have tried to school me on this idea. :lol: And I totally get it too. My psychology professor (who specialized in evolutionary psychology) and I use to discuss this quite a bit as he was a huge proponent of gender roles and how they are instinctually rooted. It definitely explained a lot of the behavior of my past boyfriends, lol! Sure their rushing to the door to open it for me, and insisting on carrying my bags was flattering at first, but after a while I was like "yeah...um...you know I think my arm isn't gonna fall off if I open my own door or carry my shopping bag". :lol:

Hopefully if I meet the right guy then the behaviors won't feel so awkward? Or maybe I'll luck out and meet guy who hates mowing the lawn but loves doing the dishes, lol! :woot: Ah! A match made in heaven!

LOL! I hope you do meet him girl :)

Back