• Yes

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Other, I will explain below

Votes: 9 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its hard to explain b/c like I said you just have to be raised that way. I'm a real southern girl and dh is a real southern boy, its expected I guess.

Even with my inlaws who all live dead in the country, all the men are sitting down chatting while we are up cooking, laughing talking and yes 'waiting' on their plates. I learned early how to balance two plates. I can remember pulling up a chair to the freezer 'bring my daddy a beer':yep:

There are many other things I do for dh that I feel fit the 'feminine' role of a wife. I bake b/c dh likes it. But like I said the little things I do add up to the big things he does for me. What I want, I get. Dh never tells me no to things and I rarely do as well.

He plays his masculine role as well, its just unspoken. So I bake, fix his plate....but you know what I don't even touch my car except to drive it, he takes my truck and fills it up every few days, I don't even know how much gas costs. I have never had to get an estimate for ANYthing, if something is broken, he finds out how to fix it; the trash, the yard, the pool, whatever....I just go outside and enjoy the ambiance. He also has never cooked a meal, outside of boiling water:ohwell:but I really don't expect him to.

I take care of the inside of the house and he takes care of the maintenance of it. I honestly do think there are some things that 'men' just do and 'women' do.
I like how you articulated this, especially w/o saying "should," or "have to."

Whatever works for you! Your family sounds a lot like my family, although now that my Dad doesn't work as much, he's cooking dinner 2x a week and driving my bro and sis around to their events and such.

Its hard to explain b/c like I said you just have to be raised that way. I'm a real southern girl and dh is a real southern boy, its expected I guess.

Even with my inlaws who all live dead in the country, all the men are sitting down chatting while we are up cooking, laughing talking and yes 'waiting' on their plates. I learned early how to balance two plates. I can remember pulling up a chair to the freezer 'bring my daddy a beer':yep:

There are many other things I do for dh that I feel fit the 'feminine' role of a wife. I bake b/c dh likes it. But like I said the little things I do add up to the big things he does for me. What I want, I get. Dh never tells me no to things and I rarely do as well.

He plays his masculine role as well, its just unspoken. So I bake, fix his plate....but you know what I don't even touch my car except to drive it, he takes my truck and fills it up every few days, I don't even know how much gas costs. I have never had to get an estimate for ANYthing, if something is broken, he finds out how to fix it; the trash, the yard, the pool, whatever....I just go outside and enjoy the ambiance. He also has never cooked a meal, outside of boiling water:ohwell:but I really don't expect him to.

I take care of the inside of the house and he takes care of the maintenance of it. I honestly do think there are some things that 'men' just do and 'women' do.

I guess you don't understand why I'm asking. I was raised that way so I do undersatnd the logic behind it. I still question why do it in this day and age. I total understand why my mother and her sister do it and I understand why my grandmother did it. But this day and age no.

Hijack: for the traditionalists, does this value transcend to other aspects of your home life.
For example, how many of you who fix the plate are SAHMs, or work less than the DH/SO?
Do you only have physical relations in the missionary position? (Not stereotyping or trying to demean but I really want to know,lol)
Does he have final say in all household decisions?
Are you knowledgeable about your financial portfolio/assigned as a delegate on all financial matters?

For example, how many of you who fix the plate are SAHMs, or work less than the DH/SO?

I work and I match dh dollar for dollar. I could not work if I wanted to, he aint around here cracking a whip.

Do you only have physical relations in the missionary position?

Girl please....

we discuss everything, I would say I had the final say-but officially he probably thinks he does. So but his say-so is really the idea I put in his head in the first place.

Ladies men are simple creatures, they want good food, good sex, want to be needed, feel in control and think they are running the show. The trick is to learn how to do all of those things by making him THINK HE IS. I'm a very independent woman but I do think that men should THINK they are running the house.

Are you knowledgeable about your financial portfolio/assigned as a delegate on all financial matters?

I am in control of ALL the money that flows in here :yep:and the investments we have. MOST of my income is saved, his is spent:rolleyes:

Do you pick and choose which rules in tradition you follow and which one you don't?

I'm not asking you, I'm asking the women who follow traditions. sorry about that :lachen:

We do because we do what's feasible and what feels natural/most comfortable to us. Many of the things that keep us going happen to be based on tradition while others aren't.

I guess you don't understand why I'm asking. I was raised that way so I do undersatnd the logic behind it. I still question why do it in this day and age. I total understand why my mother and her sister do it and I understand why my grandmother did it. But this day and age no.
What if someone's man was making 2 or 3 times her salary and worked more hours?

Last edited:

I work and I match dh dollar for dollar. I could not work if I wanted to, he aint around here cracking a whip.

Do you only have physical relations in the missionary position?

Girl please....

we discuss everything, I would say I had the final say-but officially he probably thinks he does. So but his say-so is really the idea I put in his head in the first place.

Ladies men are simple creatures, they want good food, good sex, want to be needed, feel in control and think they are running the show. The trick is to learn how to do all of those things by making him THINK HE IS. I'm a very independent woman but I do think that men should THINK they are running the house.

I am in control of ALL the money that flows in here :yep:and the investments we have. MOST of my income is saved, his is spent:rolleyes:

ok thanks MissScarlett.

Sorry if I offended you. My questions were in no way meant to insinuate that traditionalists were being cracked by their SO's whips. I am a traditionalist in many ways and wanted to know how far some of the ladies take it.

I guess its just an old tradition. *shrugs* I am man hear me roar?:lachen:

ok thanks MissScarlett.

Sorry if I offended you. My questions were in no way meant to insinuate that traditionalists were being cracked by their SO's whips. I am a traditionalist in many ways and wanted to know how far some of the ladies take it.

Girl no I wasn't offended at all!:grin:

ok thanks MissScarlett.

This is why I was asking too. I'm really am not trying to offend anyone with my question. I just wanted a better understand of why women around my age group do it. That's all.:yep:

This is why I was asking too. I'm really am not trying to offend anyone with my question. I just wanted a better understand of why women around my age group do it. That's all.:yep:
I dont think you are offending anyone. I am glad you came through, because I like hearing the opposite opinion.

I often wonder about the ages of people that do certain things though. I'm 32. I cook and alot of younger girls don't. IDK, its interesting.

I often wonder about the ages of people that do certain things though. I'm 32. I cook and alot of younger girls don't. IDK, its interesting.

I don't understand why they don't cook or learn how. People automatically assume I can't/don't/won't cook because of my age. I just look at them crazy.:perplexed

I don't understand why they don't cook or learn how. People automatically assume I can't/don't/won't cook because of my age. I just look at them crazy.:perplexed

Well I'll chime in and say that I HATE cooking...I hate it:perplexed but I love to clean. thank god all of the guys I liked love to cook. not to say that will never do it for him or my kids, but trust it will not be an everyday occurence.

I can't cook. My mother cooks but she's never taught me, and she also hates to cook, which rubbed off on me. I want some lessons. I can bake very well though.

You're a big exception to the rule. The young girls I know are "I don't cook" all smacking like its 'cute' I'm like ummmm that aint cute.:grin:

I can't cook. My mother cooks but she's never taught me, and she also hates to cook, which rubbed off on me. I want some lessons. I can bake very well though.

I didn't always like to cook. I grew up cooking with my mother but didnt' really like it. She gave me the bells best cookbook (good old southern cookbook) I just started trying recipes and found I really enjoyed it.

I didn't always like to cook. I grew up cooking with my mother but didnt' really like it. She gave me the bells best cookbook (good old southern cookbook) I just started trying recipes and found I really enjoyed it.
I'm trying to do that now...but my family is sooooo resisitant to anything besides fried fish, fried chicken and spaghetti. :barf: I did get them to switch from hamburger to ground turkey. I'm so proud.

I need to buy some good cookbooks. I thought it was admitting failure if you did that, but since I'm already at a negative with the cooking, it can't hurt. What other books do you recommend?

see my gram was that type that hated when others where in the kitchen with her cooking...therefore I never saw what was going on. I forgot to add that I love to bake :)

People do the same with me...:rolleyes:

I'm like "I gotta eat! Heck yeah I know how to cook!"

Well! :lick:

I'm trying to do that now...but my family is sooooo resisitant to anything besides fried fish, fried chicken and spaghetti. :barf: I did get them to switch from hamburger to ground turkey. I'm so proud.

I need to buy some good cookbooks. I thought it was admitting failure if you did that, but since I'm already at a negative with the cooking, it can't hurt. What other books do you recommend?

girl that is the only one I use:perplexed dlewis might know though, let's ask her

:lol: I cant recommend any cookbooks but best believe my kitchen will be stocked with them. My gram always uses cookbooks, and then she tweaks the recipes on her own if she decides to use the recipe again.

I do simply because he does it for me. I don't think it's my duty just something nice to do from time to time, also if I'm already in the kitchen after I finish cooking I just do it because I am already there.

Back