2017 Relationship And Dating Thread

So I haven't posted at all in here since my breakup earlier this summer. I was distraught and hurt because it happened 1.5 weeks into an internship, and I was so far away from family and friends. I didn't let that stop me from doing my best work this summer. Fast forward to a few days before I left, one of the guys I worked alongside gave me his phone number, and we've been talking everyday. The other night we FaceTimed until 4 AM. :lol: It may not move past a flirtation/fling (we are making plans to see each other), but I am happy.

We FaceTimed this morning til 5 and I only got 1.5 hours of sleep. he's ruining my life in a good way :lol:

I was waiting to cross the street this afternoon and this guy stopped short in the middle of the street and almost got rear-ended trying to talk to me. :lachen:

Did you talk to him?!

I legit had the same experience almost 2 weeks ago except I was walking across the street to my office and he followed me to talk to me. This fool had the nerve to blow the horn too cuz I peeped him looking but I was not turning around! Lol I ended up talking to him and we had the most amzing first date! :2inlove: He actually apologized for the manner in which we met but said he had to shoot his shot. :lachen:

Did you talk to him?!

I legit had the same experience almost 2 weeks ago except I was walking across the street to my office and he followed me to talk to me. This fool had the nerve to blow the horn too cuz I peeped him looking but I was not turning around! Lol I ended up talking to him and we had the most amzing first date! :2inlove: He actually apologized for the manner in which we met but said he had to shoot his shot. :lachen:
I didn't. I was in a rush to get where I was going, plus I don't think my boyfriend would have liked that very much. :lol:

What is wrong with some men? When he tells me he's going out or doing something else I leave it there, no further comment and I keep it moving.

When he asks me what I'm doing on Saturday I tell him I'm going to a party, "well can you come round afterwards," I reply "what in the middle of the night - sorry no! "Well what about on Sunday then?" I told him I'll be too tired for all that. He hasn't said anything since. :rolleyes:

They say you shouldn't make yourself too available for men and it's true. :look: I've been a bit too accommodating..

Last edited:
What do ya'll think about this: Heard a radio host mention that Pence won't go out to dinner with another woman unless his wife is present. The context didn't sound flattering talking about right wing evangelical supporters of 45. Do you think this is strange? Is this smart relationship management? Thought of you ladies....

What do ya'll think about this: Heard a radio host mention that Pence won't go out to dinner with another woman unless his wife is present. The context didn't sound flattering talking about right wing evangelical supporters of 45. Do you think this is strange? Is this smart relationship management? Thought of you ladies....

I 100% agree with him. I remember my friend and I discussing this when it was new. In the Bible, it talks about "avoiding the appearance of darkness (evil)" and I believe that is incredibly important to rlshps. If it looks really bad to someone on the outside looking in, don't do it - avoids a lot of potential issues.

TBH, it was really shocking to me that ppl thought it was extreme lol I thought married ppl innately knew not to do this. I'm not even married yet and I'd swing on him :lol:

When what was new @MissNina?
Sometimes I'm the most indecisive person on earth. That is to say, I'm not sure where I stand on this because I don't want to be unrealistic about human nature and I believe that forcing people to behave a certain way usually backfires.
Ideally, I would want my man to behave this way yet, I don't want that kind of 'rule' imposed on me. I think there are certain basic rights and freedom we all have individually and I can't reconcile them with these relationship 'rules.'
I'm still working on this. My heart and my mind aren't aligning.....

I 100% agree with him. I remember my friend and I discussing this when it was new. In the Bible, it talks about "avoiding the appearance of darkness (evil)" and I believe that is incredibly important to rlshps. If it looks really bad to someone on the outside looking in, don't do it - avoids a lot of potential issues.

TBH, it was really shocking to me that ppl thought it was extreme lol I thought married ppl innately knew not to do this. I'm not even married yet and I'd swing on him :lol:
@Fine 4s

I think that in his line of work, that can be a little strange. Deals are made over dinner all the time in business/politics. So unless his wife is on standby all the time to attend dinner with him if another woman is present, he'd then need to purposely hire an all-male staff (which probably leaves him open to some kind of discrimination suit) or skip events where his wife won't be able to attend with him. And that's ridiculous. He's the Vice President. That means he could never hold a one on one meeting with Angela Merkel, Theresa May, or whoever else.

Plus, he also said that he never attends any event where alcohol is being served without her going. Now that is very strange. Why? Is he afraid of being roofied? Can he not control himself around other women if he's drinking?

When what was new @MissNina?
Sometimes I'm the most indecisive person on earth. That is to say, I'm not sure where I stand on this because I don't want to be unrealistic about human nature and I believe that forcing people to behave a certain way usually backfires.
Ideally, I would want my man to behave this way yet, I don't want that kind of 'rule' imposed on me. I think there are certain basic rights and freedom we all have individually and I can't reconcile them with these relationship 'rules.'
I'm still working on this. My heart and my mind aren't aligning.....

@Fine 4s

I think that in his line of work, that can be a little strange. Deals are made over dinner all the time in business/politics. So unless his wife is on standby all the time to attend dinner with him if another woman is present, he'd then need to purposely hire an all-male staff (which probably leaves him open to some kind of discrimination suit) or skip events where his wife won't be able to attend with him. And that's ridiculous. He's the Vice President. That means he could never hold a one on one meeting with Angela Merkel, Theresa May, or whoever else.

Plus, he also said that he never attends any event where alcohol is being served without her going. Now that is very strange. Why? Is he afraid of being roofied? Can he not control himself around other women if he's drinking?

New = when he first said the comment. It was a few months ago when they were talking about it heavy.

All in all the key is to do what is best in your relationship. If you & your partner don't like the rule (or rules in general), don't adopt it. What works for one couple may not work for another or even be necessary for another. Don't force it.

As VP, he is very rarely ever alone and there would be no reason to have dinner with any of those women named by @sarumoki alone. My cousin is a House Rep, and I can assure that political convos are held all times of the day. Besides, all rules have common sense exceptions.

IMHO, I would rather be with a man who knows he has an issue controlling himself in ABC environment, or has seen things go bad with other men in ABC environment, and has the wisdom to say, "Let me avoid this situation altogether" than one who says, "Oh I will be fine, no big deal. I got it" and ends up doing something stupid. That's a very attractive level of maturity to me. But to each her own.

IMHO, I would rather be with a man who knows he has an issue controlling himself in ABC environment, or has seen things go bad with other men in ABC environment, and has the wisdom to say, "Let me avoid this situation altogether" than one who says, "Oh I will be fine, no big deal. I got it" and ends up doing something stupid. That's a very attractive level of maturity to me. But to each her own.
I halfway agree with you. It's definitely better for anyone to avoid putting themselves in a situation that may not go well for them. But in Pence's case if you can't be trusted to the point where you can't be at an event where alcohol is being served without your wife, then that's just a different level of extreme. Does he have a history of alcoholism?

The overall point is that one is aware of their challenges and actively taking steps (whether extreme to you or not) to avoid a set back. Either way, the likely hood of someone making a mistake lies more with the person who pretends, avoids or doesn't KNOW they have an issue than with the person who knows how to manage it. But I understand the hesitation...

SO bought paper towels for his house...on his own without me asking! I was shocked! Lol until me, he didn't buy paper towels (Idk wtf either lol).. and then would only buy them when I asked. But this month, they're just randomly there! :love: :lol:

Tomorrow is my friends bachelorette party and Saturday is the engagement party. Kinda excited, kinda counting the hours til I can go back home lol.

I start a new job in a couple weeks. It's 100% remote, expect the first 2wks they want me on site. Which is in CA. He's sad that ill be away for 2wks.

I pretend like I'm sad, but I can't wait to go :look: it's freaking San Fran on company dime. Hella excited :lol:

I just started last week and I'm really looking it so far. My bosses are super chill and helpful! I joined a meet up group 'dc ladies working remotely' and plan to go to my first meet up next week! They do different coffee shops in dc. Looks like some black women are going to next week's meet up, too!

I just started last week and I'm really looking it so far. My bosses are super chill and helpful! I joined a meet up group 'dc ladies working remotely' and plan to go to my first meet up next week! They do different coffee shops in dc. Looks like some black women are going to next week's meet up, too!
Congrats on the new job! I just started a side gig that is remote but I don't know if the whole work from home thing is for me. I get distracted too easily. :lol:

Congrats on the new job! I just started a side gig that is remote but I don't know if the whole work from home thing is for me. I get distracted too easily. :lol:

Thanks! And Congrats on your side gig!

Oh yes, I don't dare actually work from home, I would do nothing :lol: This week I worked from the national portrait gallery, a coffee shop near me, and the library of Congress. I booked a room in a different library for tomorrow.

Next week I want to take my SO out to lunch (on me! Lol) and he works in Arlington, so I plan to go to Boccato (cowork cafe) on Monday. And so forth. I would be fired if i actually stayed at home :lol:

Ohhhh I wanna join. I work remote (not for an employer but still).
Congratulations!!!

Back