Would be upset if a guy took you to Red Lobster or Fridays for a date?

Really? Chain restaurants are a deal breaker?

:lachen:

DH took me to Olive Garden on our first date. I wish I MIGHT have been uppity about it. Please. Like Zaynab said, this is why men think women are difficult. RECOMMEND A DIZZAM RESTAURANT if it's that deep to you. Why women put so much on where a dude decides to eat is a mystery to me...IT'S JUST ONE MEAL! Sheesh.

Nopers, it's not a deal breaker for me. Mr. Cyd and I like to eat so, we'll eat anywhere from the trendy/posh spots downtown (in whatever city) to the local grease spots.

Mr. Cyd took me to Chipotle for our first date; I *HEART* CHIPOTLE, so it worked! For my most recent birthday he took me to Ruth's Chris. I love that he has the presence of mind to know what works when.

(We still go to the same Chipotle that we shared our first date on the regular!)

Aww super cute!!! The hubby took me to Olive Garden one time because that's where I wanted to go when we were dating, but since we got married he won't take me. He said he doesn't like the food and only took me then to appease me. It's the same with Chili's!!! So much for us going back to the places we used to eat while dating. He's a picky eater.

i guess i am real frugal. like other has stated, it is the time spent with the person that counts.....heck give me the 99 cent menu at wendys chili (with cheese and onions):grin:, small fries and frosty and call it a day!!!!!:lachen:

This thread had me in stiches...ya'll crazy.

I can go both ways. I can do upscale order off an Italian or French menu and know my wine list.
I can do Red lobster and Friday's too.

A well rounded girl is the best girl.

I'm off (yes at like 12 am) to pick up my order from Friday's!! Gotta love their Cajun chicken and shrimp pasta!! Happy eating ladies....

I just don't see the problem. My bf took me to Pei Wei for our 1st date... the dates became increasingly more 'upscale' with a couple of Fridays/Ruths Cris/Red Lobsters thrown in. I've also been on snobby 1st dates where the meal is hundreds.. and the conversation and connection was not one tenth of what I've gotten at a chain. It's just a venue.

it's just my personal opinion... but i would not be too thrilled if a guy took me to red lobster or TGIF on a date.

TGIFs would probably be the least offensive of the two, only because red lobster is like... the fast food version of seafood to me. and there is nothing better than the home cooked meals my parents make, so i don't eat red lobster.

....then again, you can probably buy half of the TGIF menu at the frozen section in your grocery store. yucky.

it's sort of like the equivalent of taking your date to McDonalds. it's just... tacky.

i probably sound like a snot, but i don't require fancy dinners to be impressed. there are plenty of cheap places to eat where i live that i love. i just don't like chain restaurants or tourist spots. i also hate The Ivy, and I hate Tavern on the Green. overpriced. touristy.

Last edited:
Last time a guy took me on a first date to a Red Lobster or Fridays I was 23.

I've been on many first dates since then and any men can look at me and know that he has to bring more to the table than that. But then again I date professional men who tend to look unfavorably on those type of restaurants.

The same guy taking woman X to Fridays on the first date, will take woman Z to an upscale restaurant on a first date. He just might take woman Q to Denny's on their first date. Men give you what they think you deserve or what they think you are use to. I guess they can look at me and tell what I'm use to. Also I'm in my mid 30's and I date men who are very established career wise, and they prefer fine dining.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be "upset," maybe just disappointed. But that's because, in a city like NYC, there are SOOOO many awesome restaurant options that are priced just like Red Lobster or Fridays that have much better food. To me, it would show a lack of creativity.

Now, if I lived in a city that didn't have as many dining options, not a problem at all. The food may be fattening as hell, but it's pretty yummy.

Yes, for Red Lobster only because I am allergic to shell fish. I don't see a problem with Friday's. When I was dating, guys have always taken me to a variety of places for $ to $$$$$. Variety is the spice or life.

:rolleyes: Maybe I’m just not picky enough. Shoot, on my first date with my new boo we went to California Pizza Kitchen! He’s taken me to a wide variety of restaurants since then (including Red Lobster and TGI Fridays :lol:), with a few 4 stars mixed in, but there was NO WAY that I expected him to take me to them. :nono:

I think both restaurants would be perfect for a first date IMO. Not too much, not too little. :yep:

I think its funny when some women expect to be taken somewhere they aren't accustomed to when they know they are accustomed to eating chicken fingers and wing dings at the chain restaurant.

And when you get in the nice, 4-5 star restaurant, you don't know how to act, what to order and you STILL looking for chicken fingers on the menu.

You want filet mignon when you've probably never seen or ate it before? Who you trying to impress?

Eat the damn cheese biscuits if that's all you know. I bet the friend eats fried bologna sandwhiches at home on the regular.
Thanks for typing what I was thinking. Girl, people are a trip.

Last time a guy took me on a first date to a Red Lobster or Fridays I was 23.

I've been on many first dates since then and any men can look at me and know that he has to bring more to the table than that. But then again I date professional men who tend to look unfavorably on those type of restaurants.

The same guy taking woman X to Fridays on the first date, will take woman Z to an upscale restaurant on a first date. He just might take woman Q to Denny's on their first date. Men give you what they think you deserve or what they think you are use to. I guess they can look at me and tell what I'm use to. Also I'm in my mid 30's and I date men who are very established career wise, and they prefer fine dining.

Interesting. Exactly what do they see that lets them know this?

I'm serious.

You and a guy are dating. Whether it's the first date or the 5th, would you be upset if he didnt take you to an upscale restaurant but took you to Red Lobster or Fridays instead?

Is that a dealbreaker?

Id rather to go Chick fil A than Fridays or RL...

RL and Fridays make it seem like you are trying - but not really.

Interesting. Exactly what do they see that lets them know this?

I'm serious.

You would have to ask them that.

I'm curious to know why women get snippy when another women speaks on her experience. Women seem offended when another woman is treated to the finer things in life by men. I attract a certain type and they know how to treat a lady like myself. Everybody has different standards, nothing wrong with yours, nothing wrong with mine.

Peace and Love my sister

I'm curious to know why women get snippy when another women speaks on her experience. Women seem offended when another woman is treated to the finer things in life by men.

Yea...No

You gotta admit your previous comment was abit condescending.

Men give you what they think you deserve

Whatever this means.

No point in going out on date to eat if you don't enjoy the food, whether it's Red Lobster or Quality Meats. You would be better off skipping dinner and grabbing a cup of coffee/tea or a drink.

I think it's nice when you put some thought into where you take your date and that has nothing to do with spending $$$$.

If she doesn't like Red Lobster, then she doesn't like it. He might love it and want to share the experience with her. I guess next time, she can introduce him to something that she likes. Ya know?

I'm curious to know why women get snippy when another women speaks on her experience. Women seem offended when another woman is treated to the finer things in life by men. I attract a certain type and they know how to treat a lady like myself. Everybody has different standards, nothing wrong with yours, nothing wrong with mine.

Peace and Love my sister

Come on now. Is it the way you dress? Your hair? Your makeup? You specifically said "they look at me and they can tell what I'm use(d) to." Surely you know what kind of image you present to the world. I just wanted to know what it is that you're "presenting" that says "I don't do Red Lobster so don't even go there." Contrary to popular belief, ladies go to Wendy's and Olive Garden and hoodrats go to Ruth's Chris and Spago and Peter Luger as well. I know; I've seen them there.

My standards have nothing to do with how I look. They have to do with who I am. That's why I asked. No snippiness here.

Personally, I'm very hesitant to allow someone who I don't know and who doesn't know me well to spend a lot of money on me. You never know what kind of expectations that generates in their mind.

Men give women what they think they deserve.

I would say that men give women what they believe they will accept. If Friday's is genuinely "good enough," then it's good enough. Not every man has the means to stratify dates like that, doing the upscale thing for any woman that seems "worth it." It would be wrong to assume that because a man isn't taking a woman out to a fancy dinner that that is his judgment of her worth.

I also think it's equally wrong to assume that a man putting down a lot of money necessarily means something special, if he has the means and is just the type to spend money like that. If upscale is his status quo, then if we go upscale, he's not doing anything special on my behalf.

Back