Would be upset if a guy took you to Red Lobster or Fridays for a date?

Chain restaurants are not a dealbreaker. I would love to go to Le Cirque, 21 Club, Cafe des Artistes, Asia de Cuba or Blue Water Grill every night but it's just not reasonable to expect that from a date....or even from a husband unless he is just into spending money like water.

Who is this woman?!?!? She will probably be single for a while if men taking her to chain restaurants is high on her list of deal breakers.

I think its funny when some women expect to be taken somewhere they aren't accustomed to when they know they are accustomed to eating chicken fingers and wing dings at the chain restaurant.

And when you get in the nice, 4-5 star restaurant, you don't know how to act, what to order and you STILL looking for chicken fingers on the menu.

You want filet mignon when you've probably never seen or ate it before? Who you trying to impress?

Eat the damn cheese biscuits if that's all you know. I bet the friend eats fried bologna sandwhiches at home on the regular.

No, I don't think it's a deal breaker, but then again it just depends on the type of woman you are. Ultimately, I think it's the thought that counts. But like other posters said, dude can't be hyping it up like it's B. Smith's or something either. If he thinks Red Lobster or Friday's is a fine dining experience and you don't, then yes it's a deal breaker. You can just imagine where you'll be headed for the rest of your dates.

Not a deal breaker but I would hope he would do better on a first date. As we got more comfortable with each other I don't see the problem as long as he threw in some variety now and then, I'd be cool.

I think its funny when some women expect to be taken somewhere they aren't accustomed to when they know they are accustomed to eating chicken fingers and wing dings at the chain restaurant.

And when you get in the nice, 4-5 star restaurant, you don't know how to act, what to order and you STILL looking for chicken fingers on the menu.

You want filet mignon when you've probably never seen or ate it before? Who you trying to impress?

Eat the damn cheese biscuits if that's all you know. I bet the friend eats fried bologna sandwhiches at home on the regular.

EXACTLY. She thinks it's high class to only go to fancy restaurants... but what she doesn't know is that rich folks eat at Friday's sometimes too. There is no need to be defensively bougie all the facking time. Now if cuz is only suggesting those places she's free to say "hey, how about X, I hear the food is nice there." It won't kill her to make a suggestion, and there's no need to stick her nose in the air like royalty, we all put our pants on one leg at a time.

Umm, I love Fridays so that's cool with me.

And there are no Red Lobsters in Massachusetts but I wouldn't be mad at that either.

I guess I'm a cheap date, LMAO.

:lol: that made me laugh.

EXACTLY. She thinks it's high class to only go to fancy restaurants... but what she doesn't know is that rich folks eat at Friday's sometimes too. There is no need to be defensively bougie all the facking time. Now if cuz is only suggesting those places she's free to say "hey, how about X, I hear the food is nice there." It won't kill her to make a suggestion, and there's no need to stick her nose in the air like royalty, we all put our pants on one leg at a time.

Its not like guys can't spot this either.

I know my male friends would laugh at their dates who they'd take to a nicer, upscale restaurant and just be amazed that they would literally sit there and order CHICKEN FINGERS or fried chicken and a common strawberry daquiri.:rolleyes::lachen:

So they'd just ask the woman where SHE wanted to go rather than them making the decision and see what they say.

Shove the wine list in their hands and have them make a selection. See if they can! :lol: You never tasted grigio, then why you want it now?

I guess I'm a cheap one too :lol:

Shoot, my behind loves to eat, period, so it's whatever, LOL.

Like someone else said, it's how he treats me on this date that really matters.

I'd rather have a good guy take me to Fridays than have a jack*** take me somewhere upscale.

Last edited:
i looove fridays!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!! I got my Stripes, you got yours? My hubby and I usually go there for our date nights. He's a meat and potatoes guy so we don't do much fine dining at all, unfortunately. I am a foodie and I really love and appreciate the art behind bringing a dish together (upscale or otherwise), so I feed that need by doing my fine/ethnic dining with coworkers/mentors and/or family/friends and chain restaurants with my hubby. Maybe that's what you can do. It sucks, but sometimes opposites atrract to find that balance. Enlighten each other on a thing or two!

Last edited:
No not a deal breaker but I would hope that he would be a little bit more... creative, for lack of better word, with his restaurant choices. It doesn't have to be more expensive just not a chain restaurant.

That's how I look at it. I don't need upscale, but I'd like something different. Any type of ethnic food is good.

Heck, I don't even mind a chain, but I like more specialty chain spots like P.F. Chang's or something like that.

However, it's definitely NOT a dealbreaker to go to Red Lobster or Friday's and I wouldn't dump a dude for that. I think a man should work up to upscale, not come out with an upscale place on the first few dates!

That's so not a dealbreaker to me. I like to try a variety so I wouldn't want to be limited to JUST chain restaurants but those two mentioned in the OP are ok with me especially as first dates.

Well I guess not because my SO took me to Ruby Tuesday's for our first date. We were in college at the time plus he is not the type to spend money on a woman when he doesn't know them like that. He has never and the told me he never will buy a drink for a woman at a lounge/ bar if he doesn't know her.

It wasn't indicative of anything because now he buys me whatever I want if it's reasonable and we enjoy exploring all the exciting and hip restaurants Manhattan has to offer.

I don't know why some women expect the world from some men who don't know them from Adam. There are better ways of assessing if a man is a good provider than cutting him off because he takes you to a chain restaurant.

As a person who frequents restaurants like Ruth's Chris, taking me to Red Lobster for a first date would be interesting. Since the recession/depression thing went down, you're more likely to hear me say "Can I have a number 1 with extra pickles and a diet coke?"

Not a dealbreaker, but I would be a little disappointed.

It's not about the price, but on a Friday or Saturday evening, I'm looking for a different kind of atmosphere. The places I speak of are probably cheaper than Red Lobster or Fridays, but they are better first date spots IMO. I've been to Red Lobster and Fridays a million times with family and friends so I'd prefer something a little different on a first date.

I wouldn't think less of the guy but I wouldn't be impressed either. It is a recession and I'm interested in more than a guy's bank account so its not that important.

Nopers, it's not a deal breaker for me. Mr. Cyd and I like to eat so, we'll eat anywhere from the trendy/posh spots downtown (in whatever city) to the local grease spots.

Mr. Cyd took me to Chipotle for our first date; I *HEART* CHIPOTLE, so it worked! For my most recent birthday he took me to Ruth's Chris. I love that he has the presence of mind to know what works when.

(We still go to the same Chipotle that we shared our first date on the regular!)

I like these two restaurants - not to mention those big a** margaritas; Friday's has a "First Date: Fruit Favorites" drinks. So I wouldn't mind.

No not a deal breaker but I would hope that he would be a little bit more... creative, for lack of better word, with his restaurant choices. It doesn't have to be more expensive just not a chain restaurant.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I could care less about the cost or if it's upscale....but at least attempt to take me somewhere "different", show that you put some thought in it. I actually prefer hole-in-the-wall restaurants....they are less known but always have the best food. I'm impressed by men that can put me on to something new.

Last edited:
What's essential is invisible to the eye.

Most time's, we as women are too focused on the wrong things when pertaining to a man.

For the 1-3rd date, I would like someplace not necessarily more expensive, but not a chain. Now if we are comfortable and dating for a while, I love me some biscuits from Red Lobster, and always have fun at those types of places.

This is why men think women are difficult. Ya'll I'm pretty snobby about chain food but in a new dating relationship I can't say I'd care. I'm just wow, sorry.

It's true that men will STOP doing something if they feel their efforts are not appreciated. That's why nagging men gets the opposite effect.

The point is, he was taking me out to eat and not asking me to "come over and chill".

so weak at this, because its often true.
"can I get the Fill-it Mig-None?" lol

Its not me. But lets say it's a guy in his mid to late 20's. You're in your 20's too.

A friend of mine said she didnt like when a guy takes her to chain resturants.

You know, some people find ANYTHING to complain about. A chain restaurant is not an insult - it's an opportunity for a woman like your friend to share some of her favorite spots with someone new.

In the mid-20s, she should be considerate of his budget, but why take exception to a man taking you to his idea of a decent restaurant. The date is more about getting to know each other than the food anyway.

I bet he'd be open to checking out a cool mom and pop or niche restaurant. She should give the man a chance :lachen::lachen:

I see couples all up and down the Fridays' and Red Lobsters around here. If he suggested it, I wouldn't think of it as a deal breaker but I would suggest somewhere else because I hate Friday's and Red Lobster so much :laugh:

Back