Ordering Lobster On The First Date

Would You Order Lobster On The First Date?

• Yes - I'll Order 2 AND some skrimps if I can get away with it.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Yes - If I'm in the mood for lobster.

Votes: 64 36.0%
  • Maybe - Are any of 'em floating on their backs in the tank?

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • No - I don't mess with bottom feeders.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • No - I wouldn't feel right about it.

Votes: 73 41.0%
  • Other - JCoily quit hating and let your girl enjoy her crustacean.

Votes: 10 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She saw someone she wanted so she was willing to do whatever to impress him enough for him to want to marry her. Childish if you ask me but he is still with her and he has a very good personality so he finds the bright/upside to everything.

Well let's put it in perspective...how old are these guys? Upscale is relative and I would believe age, exposure and experience would play a part in what a person calls upscale. Olive Garden is lunch worthy and basic dinner worthy. Upscale................Morton's, Ruth Chris, Cinghiale's (love this place)............those are getting to the upscale route to me.

Well Im in my mid 20's and Olive Garden will never be upscale to me. The Olive Garden guy is 29 and the Fridays guy is 41. Can you see why I was so shocked? :shocked: I thought the older guys get the more they should know better and their standards raise.

Why not, Cover?

I think the man could see it as you taking advantage of him. It's a first date, we're not a couple, he really doesn't owe me anything and vice versa.

Don't get me wrong, I think a man should pay, but that doesn't give me the right to take his kindness and run with it.

Last edited:
Now I'm normally in 'get it how you live' mode, but I find this a little.....unseemly. I asked why doesn't she just get what she wants and her response is alway 'well what's wrong with ordering lobster'?

So umm yeah, poll question - Would you order lobster on the first date just cuz it's 'free'?

There is nothing wrong with eating lobster, if you enjoy it, and if he has taken you to a place that actually has it on the menu. However, her intentions are immature. For me, the objective of a first date is to enjoy myself and get to know this guy, not to TEST him, because that is when the unneccessary, shallow, pointless games start.

I love seafood so for me it is not a big deal to order it. But I do not think I would order anything that messy on the first few dates. :nono: In the beginning, I am in the "too cute" mode, preserving my sexy in every way. Cracking lobster shells does not fit into that look. :gorgeous:

(However, if its a yummy pasta dish with cooked lobster in it....then maybe, but again, I actually like lobster. I would not order it just for show.).

I like to try different restaurants, I take eating out seriously and I rarely eat at chain restaurants.

So, I'm ordering what I feel like eating at the time. If he chose the restaurant he should be prepared to pay for what's on the menu. If he got a problem with it, I can always pull out my card.

I'm not big on appetizers or dessert so I suppose I'm saving him money. I have had dates try to get me to order the most expensive thing (usually surf and turf) but I always eat what I want at the time.

I'm not one to take advantage of people so I won't feel bad about ordering my meal.

If he decides to not take me out again for that reason (which I don't recall ever happening) I would just assume we aren't compatible with our eating out preferences.

**** My girlfriend gave her boyfriend's son strawberries one day and he started tripping. Saying that his son rarely eats strawberries because for them it's a "delicacy." WTF?? You can buy strawberries at 2/$5.***

I'm wouldn't deprive myself of strawberries for their sake :grin:

:look:I would. ALL of the guys that I have went out with encourage me to get whatever I want...and they are pretty well to do. So money/budgeting on our date is not an object. But I dont take advantage of it and order the most expensive thing on the menu because I know I can. If Im at a seafood restaurant and I dont feel like lobster than I wont order it...but If I feel like lobster you damn right Im gonna get it:lachen:

I live in New England, so lobster is on most menus (I happened to love lobster :drunk: .) The only problem with ordering on your first date: it's hard to be cute eating a lobster. :lachen: However, there are some guys that may love the fact that you're not too "girly" to get messy with the bib and all. However, I would only order it if I had a hankering from some lobster and the restaurant was reputable (I'm in Boston and Legal's is like my best, faithful friend.)

Last edited:
Me and a friend had an etiquette disagreement.

She's been doing the online dating thing and attractive woman that she is, she's met quite a few men who have asked her out to dinner to become better acquainted.

When she'd tell me about the dates, with very few exceptions she'd mention how the lobster was. Come to find out, if there's a lobster dish on the menu in appetizer, entree or dessert form - she's ordering some. Now here's the catch - I don't think she even likes lobster. I been knowing her for 16 years (lived with her 2 of those years) and haven't ever seen her eat seafood.

Now I'm normally in 'get it how you live' mode, but I find this a little.....unseemly. I asked why doesn't she just get what she wants and her response is alway 'well what's wrong with ordering lobster'?

So umm yeah, poll question - Would you order lobster on the first date just cuz it's 'free'?

Yes I would because I always bring my own money on a date. I get what I want and will pay for it myself if I have to. Even though I am confident that the gentleman I am with will gladly pay the tab.

I agree with MizzBrown and you, JC. It's one thing if you've been craving lobster for weeks and you decide to order it. But it's another to order it just because you can...or to test a man. I agree that it's unseemly because it suggests that the woman is too broke to get it herself or that she's not used to being taken to nice places. When you have access to something often, you don't have to cash in on a man offering something to you.

Thats exactly what I was thinking :yep:

if i'm in the mood, i order it.
if he's short, i pay for my meal.
i never go to a restaurant without backup dough unless i'm in a committed relationship and i know he's got me. :lachen:

besides, i'm too old for games.
if he takes me to a restaurant that offers lobster - the real deal and not those skimy red lobster kind - i mean, aged, large, take up half the plate, lobster that cost $50+ per lobster, al la carte, more likely than not, the cost of the meals across the board is going to be $$$$.

do i automatically assume i cannot have lobster just because it's supposedly represents the most expensive thing on the menu? no.

if a man takes me to any restaurant, i will assume that he can afford to pay for anything on the menu since he chose said restaurant. if he can't i would expect him to speak up.

any man with common sense should wonder if the woman may want "lobster" and if he thinks she will order it and cannot afford it, he needs to pick a different restaurant.

Last edited:
Thank You! ITA.

if i'm in the mood, i order it.
if he's short, i pay for my meal.
i never go to a restaurant without backup dough unless i'm in a committed relationship and i know he's got me. :lachen:

besides, i'm too old for games.
if he takes me to a restaurant that offers lobster - the real deal and not those skimy red lobster kind - i mean, aged, large, take up half the plate, lobster that cost $50+ per lobster, al la carte, more likely than not, the cost of the meals across the board is going to be $$$$.

do i automatically assume i cannot have lobster just because it's supposedly represents the most expensive thing on the menu? no.

if a man takes me to any restaurant, i will assume that he can afford to pay for anything on the menu since he chose said restaurant. if he can't i would expect him to speak up.

any man with common sense should wonder if the woman may want "lobster" and if he thinks she will order it and cannot afford it, he needs to pick a different restaurant.

There is nothing wrong with eating lobster, if you enjoy it, and if he has taken you to a place that actually has it on the menu. However, her intentions are immature. For me, the objective of a first date is to enjoy myself and get to know this guy, not to TEST him, because that is when the unneccessary, shallow, pointless games start.

I love seafood so for me it is not a big deal to order it. But I do not think I would order anything that messy on the first few dates. :nono: In the beginning, I am in the "too cute" mode, preserving my sexy in every way. Cracking lobster shells does not fit into that look. :gorgeous:

(However, if its a yummy pasta dish with cooked lobster in it....then maybe, but again, I actually like lobster. I would not order it just for show.).

I know that is right!:lachen:

I agree with everything you said.:yep:

Back