So Black Men Really Don't Care if My Hair Is Nappy

Hi Again,

I forgot to mention my own personal experience in this regard. I think that I've only had a full out relaxer for ~ 2, maybe up to 3.5 years in my life. That was late jr. high/high school. I'm 31 now. My parents were "Afrocentrics", so both rocked fros WAY after they went "out of style" (to my shigrin at times growing up given kids' cruelty). But, when I requested a relaxer, my Mom didn't resist my getting one ... It just turned out that, my 4b/a hair is so fine and thin, relaxers didn't look too good on me after a few days (my hair gets stringy/greasy and thin-looking with product, and dry etc. without it...). Luckily, I discovered Lonnice Brittenum-Bonner's book "Good Hair" in ~ 11th grade right after an extended period of growing out the perm via extensions. I got texlaxed, as she recommended, and started doing twist-outs, and I got a pretty good reception from guys! They tended to like the look even though it wasn't bone straight/showcasing my maximal length!

I got dreads in college. When they were baby locs (very short), some folks (surprisingly mostly female) HATED it. But as they grew longer of course, folks (male and female) adored them ... I guess that supports the idea that length is really the bottom line ... I cut my locks twice over the 10 years that I had them. Once to my jawbone, and once to APL. They grew back to ~ WL in no time! ... Then last year, when I turned 30, I decided to face my most feared hairstyle; the TWA. I was tiring of my dreads; they were becoming little albatrosses. In my mind, I had THOROUGHLY proven to myself and the world that my hair could GROW. I was also in a loving, supportive relationship with a man who I thought was "the one". So now I figured I was mature and secure enough to garner the courage/confidence needed to rock the "boy haircut" with elegant simplicity (as I'd seen women do on the countrysides of Tanzania, East Africa) ... So I B.C.'d in March of 2008. The reception was ... strange. My BF SEEMED fine with it, but even the white men in my life (ex. my supervisor) were kinda just ... mystified ... yet white women cut their hair all the time! I thought it wasn't as big a deal to whites given how fast their hair grows back! ... Even my so called "militant Afrocentric" male friends said they liked the long locs better (one of them even blamed my BF for me cutting them)! One day I did what turned out to be an impromptu experiment. I visited the mall in my TWA. The last store that I visited was a hair store where I (impulsively) tried on and bought an inexpensive but (I thought) cute wig (It was my first wig. I figured now that I don't have hair, I can fit under wigs, so why not try it?). When I got to my car, I realized that I had forgotten to get something in the mall. So I decided to run back in to buy it. On a whim, I decided to open my wig, and wear it in...

Can I tell you that the reception to the wig was like NIGHT and DAY? It was hurtful/jolting actually. To make things worse, I later wore the wig one more time publicly to catch dinner and a movie with the guy with whom I'd had the supportive relationship with when I decided to B.C. (we were now strictly platonic friends. So we hadn't kissed/touched since we'd broken up). He actually started showering me with compliments about how good I looked in the wig! And at the end of the evening, he even tried to KISS me! I kid you NOT! Later on, I wore the wig ONCE more privately for a guy I was dating, and even HE said I was 'fine' when I wore it! :-( I threw it out after that ... I was jealous!

So, needless to say, after those experiences, I resolved that long hair was apparently the TRUTH for (black) men. So I decided that I would have to grow it out if I wanted to maximize my pool of potential mate options ... Well, three months after I stopped getting trims (April 09), I met and started dating an apparently VERY unusual (black) guy. In our first convo, he actually spontaneously COMPLIMENTED me on my TWA! Literally saying something to the effect of "I like black women's hair SHORT and natural like that. I think that's how our hair was meant to be!" I was FLOORED! Never in LIFE had I heard such a thing come out of a (black) man's mouth! And, after the wig episodes, I hadn't expected that I ever would! I mean, it turned out that even my DAD was more of a long hair guy (my Mom's Afro was always on the bigger side growing up...another shigrin point)!

Even MORE striking (IMHO), later, once we started dating, the guy was waiting in my apartment for me to get ready for us to go out. I was dressed, but had not yet picked out/"done" my freshly washed TWA. So it was at maximal shrinkage. He was like "Wait. Don't pick it out, I like it like that. When you're with me at least, I want you to wear your hair like that." I was like WTF!!! I'd never CONSIDERED such a possibility! Needless to say, he TOTALLY blew my mind in that way! In the end, it turned out that, due to incompatibilities in other areas, we would only last for ~ 2 months (met in July 09, broke up in September). But that interaction got me considering some whole other, out the box-ish stuff in terms of women and Afro-hair that I'd NEVER thought would fly (for us single ladies at least). I'm now thinking that a healthy, shiny 4 inches (10 cm) will be my MAX! That way, I can rock a maximum shrinkage TWA wash and go one day. A picked out "puff" another. OR, if I blow it out, a nice style combining cornrows and twists of adequate length for my tastes --(Note: this style would be worn in the winter (when I don't swim). With the twists in for 2 weeks, and a twist-out the week after -- yielding a net ~ 5 hours on a style including wash/DC, that will last for 3 weeks => ~ 15 min per day). I figure I can change up/accentuate the looks via accessories (which I'm now learning to make myself). This way, if I wanted to, I could LITERALLY work out/SWIM every day/frequently and, like a white woman, (co) wash it and GO within ~10 - 20 minutes TOTAL (including (co) wash time) at least during the warmer 8 months of the year! Yes, this is theoretically possible with longer Afro hair ... but, for me, I'd tend to feel the need to actually STYLE/tame longer Afro hair a bit more (I really just don't prefer huge hair -- I kinda have a big face/head already). That takes up time.

So. Bottom line. Even though I've ment MANY (black) men who indeed prefer long (and/or straight) hair, my most recent romantic encounter has given me hope/confidence that (black) men DO exist who actually LIKE/PREFER our hair in ~ TWAs! This has given me a new lease on things! I now see myself as choosing not to keep it in an extremely short one EXCLUSIVELY/MAINLY for my OWN aesthetic/artistic/creative expression! Thanks to this encounter, I've now resolved that I WON'T let it get beyond what's considered TWA status (by LHCF standards)! I'll stay tuned here to stay up on ways to maximize its health/sheen/shine. Nothing more. Nothing less. True, by not straightening it, I'll never achieve "white girl flow/swing". By not maximizing growth, I'll never again approach "white girl lengths". BUT I figure this way, I'll have a better chance of achieving "white girl (potential) quality of life/health/self acceptance/TIME investment". YES our loose natural hair CAN grow to WL, but, according to this Afro-haired, length virtuoso:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlq0kvkwWo

it tends to require ~ 6 HOURS per week of HAND detangling (let alone the additional time for washing, DCing, and styling)! If she had straight, white girl hair, she could much more easily achieve that length, and be spending that time (and emotional energy/investment) nurturing her inner self (ex. self help books etc), spending QT with her kids, EXERCISING etc!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=221615&highlight=black+women+cite+hair+working+out

So, basically, I've now/recently become fairly convicted that it would be best (for me personally) if I focused on achieving "white girl quality of life" over and above their "swing" and "length" thanks (mostly) to my interactions with this recent guy. I'll take just enough hair to achieve my standards of attractiveness/versatility. But my rule of thumb is that if the net time input exceeds ~15 min daily (INCLUDING washing time), I'm NOT interested (except, of course, for special occasion hairstyles -- but this way I'll guiltlessly wash them out the NEXT day in a heartbeat! Just like a white woman!). Since this guy could deal, I'm betting/figuring that others can too! :-) Besides, now that my mental/emotional space/energy with regards to worrying about hair length has been cleared up, I've now put my energy into looking into creative ways to make accessories, as well as planning out my exercise and healthy diet schedule, etc. For the first time, I can CLEARLY see/conceive of/picture a significantly happier, healthier, more confident and creative me on the horizon! I'm now thinking to myself 'what thinking/introspective/self-respecting (black) man would, when faced with the choice of a (black) woman who is maximally happy, healthy, dynamic, self-actualizing etc. BUT has only 4 inches of hair VERSUS that same woman who has managed to maximize her hair length YET is not maximizing her potential in those other mentioned areas, would chose the LATTER over the FORMER?!' ... I'd like to know so that I don't WASTE my time on such an individual! :rolleyes: LOL!

Sorry 4 the rant(s) ya'll ... I guess I have a lot on my mind! :spinning:

Last edited:
Though I have to say that I do know black women who have hair like the woman in the youtube and they don't take 6 hours to detangle. It really depends on whether hair has enough moisture, if the hair is dry and doesn't have enough moisture then it will take that long to detangle especially if one detangles when the hair is completely dry.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
Though I have to say that I do know black women who have hair like the woman in the youtube and they don't take 6 hours to detangle. It really depends on whether hair has enough moisture, if the hair is dry and doesn't have enough moisture then it will take that long to detangle especially if one detangles when the hair is completely dry.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Interesting ... But is their hair classically 4b to ~ the same degree as that YTer?

Hello, afiya27,

By the way, I also think the woman in the Youtuber has beautiful hair. I think she tends to wear a lot of medium to small size twists and braids as her protective. For some women including me, twists give me a lot more detangling work to do which is why I only do big twists for a twist out (fake braidout). Yes, in West Africa there are women with the natural 4b long hair and they only do twists and braid outs on pressed hair or blown out hair or they keep their hair in big cornrow plaits. And I also think, this woman is very meticulous about her hair which is why it takes her so long especially if she is detangling without oil or some kind of conditioner. But in the end, even without the length certain natural hair styles require more detangle work afterwards.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
I know there are men out there that love natural hair. But I know that there are some that cringe at a nappy kitchen too, lol. It's all preference..

Really? I have to beat (black) men off with a stick since I've went natural and I started out witha TWA and my hair is coily, think 4a/b range. I haven't had a shortage of dates or attention at all. Black men tell me they luv my hair and they always want to touch it.

But I think location has a lot to do with it as well. Some areas are more progressive than others. I'm among tons n tons of naturals here in Nyc. I can only think of one incident where some black guys were makin jokes about my hair (I had worn it out in a fly *** curly fro) but Far Rockway isn't a very progressive part of Nyc either. LMAO. I laughed and couldn't be mad at them; they're just ignorant. And they weren't attractive anyway so what did i care. LOL. In my experiences though, black men just ask that ur hair, rather it be relaxed or natural, look nice and not a hot mess.

I think Rabs(I forget her name) she's the one who is a pilot has mentioned how black women get no play in Cali. Now put natural on top of that and you become invisible.

Black women DO get PLAY in Cali. I'm black and natural and get men hitting on me all the time of all races.

Really? I have to beat (black) men off with a stick since I've went natural and I started out witha TWA and my hair is coily, think 4a/b range. I haven't had a shortage of dates or attention at all. Black men tell me they luv my hair and they always want to touch it.

But I think location has a lot to do with it as well. Some areas are more progressive than others. I'm among tons n tons of naturals here in Nyc. I can only think of one incident where some black guys were makin jokes about my hair (I had worn it out in a fly *** curly fro) but Far Rockway isn't a very progressive part of Nyc either. LMAO. I laughed and couldn't be mad at them; they're just ignorant. And they weren't attractive anyway so what did i care. LOL. In my experiences though, black men just ask that ur hair, rather it be relaxed or natural, look nice and not a hot mess.

ITA w/ the bolded. If you live in a place where weaves, wigs, straight hair (most notably BLONDE) dominates then you might have some issues. Thankfully, in Los Angeles I haven't received any negatavity. My only problem is trying to find someone that knows how to cut natural hair without heat.

I really think its all about length and less about texture. I did a long term transition specifically because I knew when I rocked my fro I wanted it to be Diana Ross sized:afro: and by the time I did....it was!:meme::trophy: and I just have never had issues bagging, and I'm not light skinned I'm medium complexion and turn a lovely brown during the summer months:love2:

However I will say, have what is known as a music video booty(thanks mom!:giggle:) on a very slim frame, so yea.....:lol: that def doesn't hurt:rolleyes: so I'll get compliments on my hair and style and get the pretty comments when they see me from the front then when I pass and they see me from the back thats when I have the issues wit ppl followin me for like 50-leven blocks:perplexed:nono::lol:

But yea, as long as my style is on point, I keep myself healthy and in shape, maybe throw on a little makeup too, theres really no stopping me:cool2:

Black women DO get PLAY in Cali. I'm black and natural and get men hitting on me all the time of all races.

ITA w/ the bolded. If you live in a place where weaves, wigs, straight hair (most notably BLONDE) dominates then you might have some issues. Thankfully, in Los Angeles I haven't received any negatavity. My only problem is trying to find someone that knows how to cut natural hair without heat.
This leads me to believe that its a neighborhood thing:scratchch maybe there are more progressive areas then others? There's Hope! as India Arie would put it:meme:

If you don't mind me asking, whats your hair type and skin tone?

This leads me to believe that its a neighborhood thing:scratchch maybe there are more progressive areas then others? There's Hope! as India Arie would put it:meme:

If you don't mind me asking, whats your hair type and skin tone?

Hair - 100% cottony 4a/b

Coloring - caramel - check my fotki in my siggy.

Honestly it's so not about them *shrugs*. Interestingly when I went natural before the only person who had a problem with my hair was a guy friend, at frist his comments bothered me, but I had to ask myself why did I care?

Many men black and white complimented my natural hair. I relaxed because I had a problem with my hair. I disliked the in-between phase. I know too many natural women who are not lacking in male attention, but I lived in NYC and currently live in DC, ppl. are pretty open about natural hair in both places. Naturals get a lot of love in BK!

I'm at the point in my life that I training myself not to seek outside validation. I'm happy I'm natural again :) I really just don't hold the belief that my hair will prevent me from meeting a man that I would want. It's just not present in my head.

I TOTALLY agree, especially with the bolded!!!!

Ahhh I see, well jada1111 you have very pretty curls in your fotki:yep:

To keep it fully real I think you'd probably have a bit of an easier time fitting into Black men or America's notions of beauty in general then a dark skinned sista with kinky hard to lay down hair but thats not a knock on you at all my grandmother has the same exact features as you and she's a proud sista just like you, your hair is lovely and you're a very beautiful woman, loved:love: the styles I saw:yep:

Last edited:
I really think its all about length and less about texture. I did a long term transition specifically because I knew when I rocked my fro I wanted it to be Diana Ross sized:afro: and by the time I did....it was!:meme::trophy: and I just have never had issues bagging, and I'm not light skinned I'm medium complexion and turn a lovely brown during the summer months:love2:

However I will say, have what is known as a music video booty(thanks mom!:giggle:) on a very slim frame, so yea.....:lol: that def doesn't hurt:rolleyes: so I'll get compliments on my hair and style and get the pretty comments when they see me from the front then when I pass and they see me from the back thats when I have the issues wit ppl followin me for like 50-leven blocks:perplexed:nono::lol:

But yea, as long as my style is on point, I keep myself healthy and in shape, maybe throw on a little makeup too, theres really no stopping me:cool2:

I def agree with the bolded.

^^^Well ur texlaxed:ohwell: have u ever been fully natural and rocked it for while in Cali? What was the feedback like then??? I'm tryna find a ray of hope in the LA area:rolleyes:

To keep it fully real I think you'd probably have a bit of an easier time fitting into Black men or America's notions of beauty in general then a dark skinned sista with kinky hard to lay down hair but thats not a knock on you at all my grandmother has the same exact features as you and she's a proud sista just like you, your hair is lovely and you're a very beautiful woman, loved:love: the styles I saw:yep:

Thanks BlackMasterrPiece and so are you! Those pics are old. I really need to update them, but just haven't been in the mood. Sigh.

Your hair seems to be longer than mine. Are you relaxed or natural? The men here, especially the latino men LOVE black women, but black chicks don't give them the time of day. After being here a few years NOW I know WHY. West coast latino men are "different" than hispanics on the east coast. Let's just say they're crazy and leave it at that.

I knew you were going to say it's my complexion that's getting me by, but I don't believe that. I see darkskinned sistas (with weaves and natural) with white and black men here all the time. The black population isn't huge, so if a black woman is waiting around for a brotha and only a BROTHA to ask her out, then she's going to be very lonely indeed.

I heard Northern Cali is much better in the dating pool and natural hair progression.

Afiya27, I understand what your saying... but why the constant reference and comparison to "White Girl" hair/way of life and trying to acheive that? :ohwell:

You read my mind. I'm not trying to knock either, but wht BlackMasterPiece said.

It just comes down to this, not all (black) men hate on afro textured hair no matter what the length. Most men are pretty simple creatures and, while they have preferences (like we all do) for a woman's hair, just like for it to look nice. I think it really comes down to your confidence and owning it. I don't know how many times I've seen women I didn't think were that cute baggin men, fione men, left and right and it's their confidence. Confidence is attractive and sexy. But when it comes to our hair, who cares what anyone else thinks, ya know? No matter how you choose to wear your hair, if you do it for validation from others, you'll never be happy.

I met a guy from Cali online and he had incredible thick and LONG beautiful NATURAL hair....he LOVED the fact that I am the same. LOL...we joked about doing each others hair and him joining here.

Obviously not all men in Cali are like this guy....he's a rock guitarist, but there's got to be more than just him, right?

Thanks BlackMasterrPiece and so are you! Those pics are old. I really need to update them, but just haven't been in the mood. Sigh.

Your hair seems to be longer than mine. Are you relaxed or natural? The men here, especially the latino men LOVE black women, but black chicks don't give them the time of day. After being here a few years NOW I know WHY. West coast latino men are "different" than hispanics on the east coast. Let's just say they're crazy and leave it at that.

I knew you were going to say it's my complexion that's getting me by, but I don't believe that. I see darkskinned sistas (with weaves and natural) with white and black men here all the time. The black population isn't huge, so if a black woman is waiting around for a brotha and only a BROTHA to ask her out, then she's going to be very lonely indeed.

I heard Northern Cali is much better in the dating pool and natural hair progression.

I'm 1000% natural:yep:

cottony 4a non-silky with a tendency to be dry so I gotta stay on top a dat moistya!:lol:

I definitely feel where ur comin from sista, either way you're beautiful, I really hope you're right about LA maybe msa needs to move to a diff neighborhood!:scratchch or maybe she needs to start walking wit that you can't tell me nothin swagga:cool2:.....just thinkin out loud.....tryna find some solutions:grin:

Last edited:
I'm 1000% natural:yep:

cottony 4a non-silky with a tendency to be dry so I gotta stay on top a dat moistya!:lol:

I definitely feel where ur comin from sista, either way you're beautiful, I really hope you're right about LA maybe msa needs to move to a diff neighborhood:yep:

Can we say hair twins!:grin:

You read my mind. I'm not trying to knock either, but wht BlackMasterPiece said.

It just comes down to this, not all (black) men hate on afro textured hair no matter what the length. Most men are pretty simple creatures and, while they have preferences (like we all do) for a woman's hair, just like for it to look nice. I think it really comes down to your confidence and owning it. I don't know how many times I've seen women I didn't think were that cute baggin men, fione men, left and right and it's their confidence. Confidence is attractive and sexy. But when it comes to our hair, who cares what anyone else thinks, ya know? No matter how you choose to wear your hair, if you do it for validation from others, you'll never be happy.

ITA with the bolded and then some.

From my experience... men don't care. As long as you have some hair on your head. They are WAAAAY more interested in other body parts.

(This excludes racists and self hating blacks)

Yeah sweetie especially when your hair is in the 3 range and you are light skin.

So dark skinned women in Cali who do not have 3 type hair, what do they do? Do they just stay there alone (and complain), do they go elsewhere, etc...? What do they do?

So dark skinned women in Cali who do not have 3 type hair, what do they do? Do they just stay there alone (and complain), do they go elsewhere, etc...? What do they do?

What I'm saying it's easier when you look a certain way. When I go to LA, I would get play because I'm lightskinned and in great shape but I can see that if you looked a certain way, you might get overlooked esp. in LA. It's superficial that way. I have 4 girlfriends two Indians and 2 hispanic who date black men there and they tell my friends that black women are fat, short haired and ugly.

What I'm saying it's easier when you look a certain way. When I go to LA, I would get play because I'm lightskinned and in great shape but I can see that if you looked a certain way, you might get overlooked esp. in LA. It's superficial that way. I have 4 girlfriends two Indians and 2 hispanic who date black men there and they tell my friends that black women are fat, short haired and ugly.

I wonder if that's how they think about their mamas? :lachen: What do they think about themselves?

Honestly, I don't care at all about those types. I'm happy that there are other types of women to "filter" out that garbage. Keep Them. And good luck!

As if every black woman looks the same :rolleyes:

Yeah sweetie especially when your hair is in the 3 range and you are light skin.

My hair is not 3 anything. It only looks that way in pics, because of the lighting and the gel. As the days go on you can see it's 4a/b.

Now what? They're willing to accept my nappy hair only because of my compexion? Whatever man. You can't win for losing on here sometimes.

Back