Is it just me, or does it seem as if you admit to having really NAPPY hair here...

Kinda OT: *disclaimer* Hope I don't offend.

But why does everyone kind of elude to the fact that 3bs and 3c's are (what some people think) the "prefered" types?

Maybe it's just me, but 3b/c isn't really all that straight. Maybe I got a mental picture of that hair type all wrong...

MizaniMami said:

But why does everyone kind of elude to the fact that 3bs and 3c's are (what some people think) the "prefered" types?

Maybe it's just me, but 3b/c isn't really all that straight. Maybe I got a mental picture of that hair type all wrong...

Tracee Ross hair is good hair, India Arie is bad hair in the "good/bad hair mentality" Good hair doesn't have to be straight, it just can't be nappy. which is why alot of people try on this board to promote that ALL hair is good hair once it starts to grow and is healthy and thriving

I'm relatively new to this board and upon first joining, I felt the exact same way. Like... "where are the 4b's, or those with super kinky hair." and i have relaxed hair! However I think I felt that way because in general, those with the coarsest hair are a minority. That's the reason I JUST half way figured out how to manage MY hair. Now that I have gained more confidence and lost the negativeness I came in here with, I've found sooo many sistas in here with super coarse, gorgeous, healthy hair that give me something to strive for!

chiprecious said:
I'm relatively new to this board and upon first joining, I felt the exact same way. Like... "where are the 4b's, or those with super kinky hair." and i have relaxed hair! However I think I felt that way because in general, those with the coarsest hair are a minority. That's the reason I JUST half way figured out how to manage MY hair. Now that I have gained more confidence and lost the negativeness I came in here with, I've found sooo many sistas in here with super coarse, gorgeous, healthy hair that give me something to strive for!

I think you raise a good point. Once you take control of the health of your hair and it begins to thrive, your perception of what certain types of hair are capable of and should look like does broaden.

I think in Andre's book, he says something to the effect that 4b hair is dry, wiry, lacks curl definition, and does not grow that long. I can see how a person can read that, look at their hair which does not fit the criteria and say well maybe I'm not a 4b after all. Can you blame them?

The person is not necessarily wrong or trying to pass themselves off as something better. But because the hairtyping system is a man-made shortcut, not gospel truth - it is inherently flawed, limited, and bent to personal perception at times.

Personally, I think Andre was giving worst case scenarios when he got to the "4" hair. Was there anything good that he said about "4" hair? His system doesn't even include 3c. That's something that haircare aficionados like ourselves invented to improve and diversify his system.

Re: Is it just me, or does it seem as if you admit to having really NAPPY hair here..

Cichelle said:
I have not noticed that. In fact, there have been times here that I have noticed the complete opposite.
17.gif

Re: Is it just me, or does it seem as if you admit to having really NAPPY hair here..

Originally Posted by Cichelle
I have not noticed that. In fact, there have been times here that I have noticed the complete opposite.
Mestiza said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Wow I never noticed that here, honestly. I think all hair types are appreciated and admired equally. I was natural when I found this board and it was such a refreshing change because that obviously wasnt the case at 'another board' that I used to frequent all the time. I only texturized because all the Phyto hype at the time had me on one!

Sometimes I see it the other way around. I have tons of useful info to share but I dont feel like it would be very welcome coming from me because I'm relaxed now. Even though I was natural alot longer than alot of people and transitioners here and had FABULOUS 4a hair (if I must say so myself):grin:

Cooyah said:
Tracee Ross hair is good hair, India Arie is bad hair in the "good/bad hair mentality" Good hair doesn't have to be straight, it just can't be nappy. which is why alot of people try on this board to promote that ALL hair is good hair once it starts to grow and is healthy and thriving

OT: I love the braids in your siggy Cooyah! what are they called?

Interesting thread. I think overall it's showing that we really do support each other in this journey and that the struggle is "relative," and it's still very important and individual for each of us.

Not to sound cliche--but all hair is good hair. I'm really learning that. I say that I have "nappy" hair--because my mom didn't know how to handle my hair. I have appropriated the term nappy and see nothing wrong with it, but as a poster or 2 mentioned, it means different things to different people.

I grew up thinking my hair was bad, but over the years, I know that is not the case. I think "bad" hair (the diamond in the rough) is that lacking moisture and vitality but with a little work, it truly will be gold.

I am proud to say that I have "Back to Africa" hair or "Out of Africa" hair--I'm happy because I can see my ancestors all up in my head. I love it! :grin:

I see on here that the people that get the most acknowledgement are the people with the most growth or the longest hair, regardless of hair type. Makes sense, given the goals of most of us here.

MizaniMami said:

No it is not straight, but it has a more defined "s" pattern, which is more of a curl, as opposed to a 4b that may have more of a "z" pattern and less curl. I have both on my head and I claim it all.:) But I stopped using the catagory thing, because it did not really help me. I tend to look to those who have fine hair, which I find to be most important when comparing how products and techniques will work on my hair.

Because it's more manageable - depending on what you consider manageable. (I know that's a really descriptive answer).

It's got more of a defined curl pattern and less of "kinky" texture to it.

Cooyah said:
I know quite a few folks who would say Tracee Ross' is "bad hair" too.

Here's the thing: maybe it has something to do with versatility. Folks associate "more options" with good hair and "fewer options" with 'bad hair'?

I know one thing I like about this thread: it's getting to the bottom of some of the semantics we play with our selves. :)

Way to go ladies.

ajargon02 said:
it's bad. I see a lot of talk of 3c this and that, and how "curly" so and so's hair is. I am not trying to be mean or anything. I like the board. It's just that I don't see very much love or acceptance for NAPPY,frizzy hair, or tips on how to treat it like gold. Is it wrong to have beautiful, nappy hair round here? How come more of these sisters don't come "out of the closet" per se, and share all the tips that they have, or am I just out of my mind on this one?:confused:
Yeah, I think it is pretty much just you. I have 4b and I really feel like I get my needs met on this board as much as can be possible. This site is about obtaining long hair. And it's mostly about girls with relaxed hair. Yes their are a lot of naturals but the site isn't just for naturals or 4b's I think anyone who is a natural with a 4a or 4b type should check out Nappturality. I actually think there is a lot of love for all hair types but people like what they like and are what they are. I really believe in the end that those siters who are nappy and frizzy will find more resources at the other site and therefore don't feel a need to want this site to be anything mor than what it already is.

i've noticed that folks rarely use the word 'nappy', but instead they/we use the term kinky/coily/tightly coiled. Its the same thing to me...I agree, i do not think the word nappy is a negative term (unless someone is using it to mean something negative). it's all a matter of how u say it... i guess... :perplexed

I agree with MM and it called something to my attention.... I hear alot of people (sometimes myself included) using the term nappy when their hair's straight up unruly. When I have tons of new growth and it's soft, it's kinky.... but it's incredibly dry and unruly.... it's nappy. Old habits die hard but I'm gettin' there.

I wish they had that little popcorn smilie thingie! I am really liking the comments, the participation in this thread. I am also glad that this isn't turning petty! Good stuff! Anymore thoughts?

I have never noticed that, I would even go out on a limb and say that the natural women on this board are very supportive of each other :)

Thats one of the things I like about this board generally. more often than not we support each other :)

melodee said:
I think it's due to the fact that going natural has reintroduced alot of us to our true God given locks, and many are realizing that their hair has a curl pattern that they never knew or experienced. For some of us, this pattern is a looser curl than we thought we'd ever have. Some of us have kinky/ tight coils or "naps" (I don't mind this word- not to offend) which yet and still are springy and great.

I don't like to classify hair types into 3 and 4. I will do it occasionally so that others can understand that my hair and that of let's say, my child's, is different. Many of us on here have lovely Afro-mix hair, which to me is kinky/coily. And we're proud of it. My girls Poohbear, Country Girl, and kristina are my natural inspirations, and they have gorgeous, lush afro hair doesn't happen to frame their face in loose, silky type 3 corkscrews. ;)

There are a few of us that may cling to that 3c category. 3c is really the hardest to understand for me, for 3c and 4a are almost interchangable. But I'm happy with my hair, and I'm a sistah just like any of the rest of us, 2's, 3's,4's, or whateva.

I love that term!!! Hope you don't mind if I borrow it. :lol:

I never got the impression that natural or "nappy" hair wasn't appreciated on this site. When I first discovered this site in March, it seemed to me that most of the women were natural. Because I'm relaxed, I kind of felt like the odd ball :lol: , but not really because there is a lot of support here. And the tips from naturals have really helped me in dealing with my new growth. :grin:

ajargon02 said:
it's bad. I see a lot of talk of 3c this and that, and how "curly" so and so's hair is. I am not trying to be mean or anything. I like the board. It's just that I don't see very much love or acceptance for NAPPY,frizzy hair, or tips on how to treat it like gold. Is it wrong to have beautiful, nappy hair round here? How come more of these sisters don't come "out of the closet" per se, and share all the tips that they have, or am I just out of my mind on this one?:confused:

I think it's you. I see all hair types adored on this board, and have never noticed an unkind word being made about 4b/z hair. I'm inclined to think that it just so happens that the average lady on this board is a 4a.

peacelove said:
I see on here that the people that get the most acknowledgement are the people with the most growth or the longest hair, regardless of hair type. Makes sense, given the goals of most of us here.

I agree with this.:)

ajargon02 said:
As I initially mentioned, it just seemed like many have 3a/b/c or at the most 4a(not to say all have that listed) but like no one wanted to admit, wether permed or kinky, that they have anything but curls. That's what disturbed me.
I'm not into the hair typing system either, but in response to what I quoted from your post above, nappy 4a hair can be curly. Nappy means curly and kinky. Curly does not always mean loose silky hair texture. One can have tight curls which most people call coils. One can have frizzy loose curls, frizzy tight curls, silky loose curls, and silky tight coils. There's different degrees of looseness/tightness with curly hair texture. One can even have kinky curls (very closely twisted/curled). So just think about all the different types of nappy/curly hair before thinking curls is only limited to type 3's. Type 4's can have curls too which are more often called coils. No matter what, all natural hair textures are beautiful! ;)

I don't know! But this is a Long Hair Care Forum, and that is what we all are trying to achieve if not we wouldn't be here LOL!!, Now I have Nappy hair and that word does not ofend me at all, I see that this Board has A Very Beautiful Variety of Hair, I see that Naturals get Love when they post and Relaxed hair gets Love. But maybe we don't have alot of 4b's on here, I don't like that hair typing thing because to me it is just awful, And all hair grows. My hair to me is just my hair.

I see some people OOOH & AWW at looser texture hair and don't say nothing about Nappy hair, But no one ever says anything bad about Nappy Hair & they always try to give the advice when a question is asked. That is why I Like this Board because of the Variety and you can ask anything without getting jumped all over, you can use heat and not get jumped all over, You can say you sit under the hair dryer and not get a warning etc.

But when the People here see Long Hair whether it is Nappy or Loose they all OOOh & AWWW, because Long Hair is what they want to see, I am enjoying watching my hair grow from a shaved bald head to where I am now and it amazes me. But I mean we all get Love!

Poohbear said:
I'm not into the hair typing system either, but in response to what I quoted from your post above, nappy 4a hair can be curly. Nappy means curly and kinky. Curly does not always mean loose silky hair texture. One can have tight curls which most people call coils. One can have frizzy loose curls, frizzy tight curls, silky loose curls, and silky tight coils. There's different degrees of looseness/tightness with curly hair texture. One can even have kinky curls (very closely twisted/curled). So just think about all the different types of nappy/curly hair before thinking curls is only limited to type 3's. Type 4's can have curls too which are more often called coils. No matter what, all natural hair textures are beautiful! ;)

Good points. Some parts of my natural hair curl up very tightly which is called coils. I have 4a/b hair. As the other poster mentioned, long and healthy hair are really praised hair. It is the one of the major reasons for starting this board. To be fair to the ladies, anyone who posts an album gets praises. If you don't post pictures than how can people give you hair props?

Last edited:
People posting hair types, textures,thickness, and such always helps me. I know that I cannot use products for tight afros on my hair. The products would be too heavy and make my hair sticky and weighed down. I also know that if I use the sprays and mousse (sp) that a type 1 naturally straight haired person my use it would dry my hair out.

The beauty of knowing what someone elses hair type is, for me, being able to pick out products and processes that will work for me, and helping others that may benifit from something I do to my hair.

NappyParadise said:
I don't know! But this is a Long Hair Care Forum, and that is what we all are trying to achieve if not we wouldn't be here LOL!!, Now I have Nappy hair and that word does not ofend me at all, I see that this Board has A Very Beautiful Variety of Hair, I see that Naturals get Love when they post and Relaxed hair gets Love. But maybe we don't have alot of 4b's on here, I don't like that hair typing thing because to me it is just awful, And all hair grows. My hair to me is just my hair.

I see some people OOOH & AWW at looser texture hair and don't say nothing about Nappy hair, But no one ever says anything bad about Nappy Hair & they always try to give the advice when a question is asked. That is why I Like this Board because of the Variety and you can ask anything without getting jumped all over, you can use heat and not get jumped all over, You can say you sit under the hair dryer and not get a warning etc.

But when the People here see Long Hair whether it is Nappy or Loose they all OOOh & AWWW, because Long Hair is what they want to see, I am enjoying watching my hair grow from a shaved bald head to where I am now and it amazes me. But I mean we all get Love!

lol that is the main reason why i m here too :grin: to grow my hair to my butt and in the process get healthy :) the main reason i pop pills, drink protein shakes, do mtg and all kind of stuff. My initial goal however was to repair my hair after relaxers had thinned it out and looking for a remedy through google i stumbled into this site as soon as i saw the title Longhaircare forum i was hooked lol :D and learned about transitioning and i never even considered big chopping and liking my natural hair. i transitioned for 1 year, jumped on all bandwagons available lurking for a year (stinky challenge, surge challenge and all kind of challenges:lachen: ) and through trial and errors i find what my hair like. i dont really look at hair classifications to try a product, but i do look if someone is natural or not to see if they manage to get slip or moisture.

i know my hair needs less things now that its natural compared to someone who still relax who do have to use shampoo to neutralize at least the hair when i can just cowash all the time if i wanted to. So my goal is still long hair but at the same time through lhcf i aspire to healthier hair and just starting with the hair i now want my whole body fully compliant and healthy lol and the skin and everything benefit.

HOWEVER, I do confess that i had trying beginnings to accept my hair texture once i big chop. The thing is just to know there are things it wont do but with good technique and care , it still A-OKAY. As far as 4b textures, i know that in the past while transitioning or a year ago you could have never find me rocking and liking my natural hair but with time and thanks to the forum i ve been able to accept and embrace my natural hair and be proud to rock it and not ashamed of it.i used to be embarassed at first when my twa was in growing stages and as soon as i had 2" i hid it in braids :lol: i also think that the more you will see people rocking their hair fiercely and embracing it be in everyday life and culture, the less we will need classifications cause hair is beautiful regardless now i know it lol

just something to finish on a funny note haha not so funny the other day in Harlem a street vendor was selling a white tight tee so cute and the message written was I HAVE GOOD HAIR CAUSE I HAVE AFRICAN IN MY FAMILY :lachen: that was funny just a little twist but i dont take hair that seriously but i m just hair lover and can admire all types of hair the longer the better though hihi

Last edited:
ekomba said:
just something to finish on a funny note haha not so funny the other day in Harlem a street vendor was selling a white tight tee so cute and the message written was I HAVE GOOD HAIR CAUSE I HAVE AFRICAN IN MY FAMILY :lachen: that was funny just a little twist but i dont take hair that seriously but i m just hair lover and can admire all types of hair the longer the better though hihi

I would love to get that shirt. :lol:

Back