Single and Ready to Mingle Challenge 2010!

Oh all of the updates that you ladies are posting is very inspiring.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to dinner with a new gentleman. We met via the new website I joined. So excited and so nervous...

:hiya: Hope the date went well... would you mind telling me what site you joined? PM me if you'd prefer, TIA!

Oh all of the updates that you ladies are posting is very inspiring.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to dinner with a new gentleman. We met via the new website I joined. So excited and so nervous...

This sounds like a great idea. I like that the idea isn't simply to go out and meet men but to improve interactions with them and others. Count me in! :)

So what's on tap for March? I think I'm actually going to go to First Fridays this month. I skipped it in February. My Match.com membership expires this month so we'll see if there are any late stragglers who come to the party. I might go to the Young Professionals mixer again, but I don't know if I want to count that as one of my outings. I think I need something new. Time to Google and see what's going on in the Twin Cities.

This is going to be a slow month for me. :/

... But I do have a speed dating event lined up for the end of the month. That should be fun. :grinwink: Never done anything like that before.

After a relationship that I let go long after I should have and not responding to a few others who's tried to hit on me, I'm going to start mingling again. I have a few other life things to take care of but in a while I'm out there again. Best of luck to all you ladies here and the same to myself.

March is actually a busy month for me. First I am going to the city alone and look around. Next weekend I am going Salsa dancing, the following week a singles mingle, The week after that I am going to luncheon with a few friends. Single mingle is NOT just about trying to find Mr. Right, but to get out there again...period!

Tomorrow night (well tonight I guess), I'm going with a new singles meetup group to see the premiere of Alice in Wonderland (I LOVE that story) and on Sunday, they're having a meet-n-greet at a local restaurant, so that should be fun. One of my friends is actually tagging along (although she's married (long story)), but I had planned to go either way. I'll let you know how it went...I'm borderline socially retarded, so we'll see what happens.

i kno im not officially a part of this challenge but w.e. i met this guy online. he's Filipino and Irish but was raised in the Philippines. we went to the annual county fair and had a good time.
he won me a huge stuffed bear and two fishes and got me a tank.
i had so much fun in the rides but he got sick. he was also afraid of heights but went on them anyway which i thought was sweet. he's cute and nice, successful, intelligent, etc. etc.
afterward we went to wafflehouse and talked for awhile. maybe about like 2 hrs or so. from the convo he seemed as if he just wanted to be friends b/c he mentioned he wasnt looking for a relationship. and so i didn't say n e thing and just figured that he wasnt interested in me.
after that he walked me to my car and i gave him a hug saying i had a good time and thanks for the animals and idk..it was kind of awkward like..he expected something more. and i was kinda turning away to get back in my car, and he stopped me and said "come here" in a soft voice. and i turned to him and he kissed me. i was so shocked! i wasnt expecting that. i kind of fumbled my words, i didnt know what to say. i said something tho.. and then told him to drive carefully and that was that.

he called me afterward and the first thing that came out of my mouth was "i can't believe you kissed me! you're so bold!" he made it seem like it was no big deal, saying he really wanted to do it so he did. and he was surprised that i was surprised. i told him that from the convo i thought he just wanted to be friends. and he asked if that was what i wanted. i said "no. its what i got from the convo" well he assured me that that wasn't the case. so we moved on from there and we're now talking on aim.

a few odd moments during the date..
-i def got the "look" from some of the brothas
-he asked me what does "baby daddy" mean-we were having a convo and kids came up. and i mentioned something about someone's baby daddy. and so he asked me what that meant. and i was kinda thinking..is he for real? and so i said it means exactly what it says. the daddy of your baby. and he kinda paused and said.."yea but..when you say that, don't you kinda feel that it has that...negative connotation to it? like..you know what i mean?" and i said yea. and he asked me why do i say it? and i told him i was just used to saying it. and he said ok and just let it go. i thought it was a weird little moment tho.
-the waitress at wafflehouse said faith hill was the most beautiful woman on the earth. and i asked him does he think that. and he said no and he asked me who did i think was the most gorgeous man. and i thought about it for a second and said "boris kodjoe" and he pauses and says.. "so you really like that huh? blk guys... " and i say "well yea.. i mean that's what i am." and he stayed silent.. idk what that was supposed to mean.

but yea, that was my night. it was a great night. and i like him alot.. my little asian persuasion. only thing i DIDNT like is that he lied about his height. which i thought he might've cause guys always do. but hes 5'7 and he said he was 5'9. im 5'7 and was wearing these uggs which have this extra padding so i was slightly taller than him. really wasnt feelin that.

ok im really tired. and this post is all over the place. so im goin to bed now. lol

Last edited:
Wow, this sounds like a good idea, Count me in. If there is anybody in the houston area that want to get together let me know.

Hey Ladies -

Well, since I'm now EXCLUSIVE with Dutch Chocolate, I'm modifying my participation in this challenge. I'm no longer Single and Ready to Mingle . . . but I still need to push myself to socialize - particularly for political/networking purposes. Sooooo, I plan to push myself to still go out to events where I can meet people who can help me advance professionally. And in the meantime, I will keep going out with my Dutch Chocolate :grin:

Glib I am happy for you. I wish you the best with your guy. Now I need to get my butt in high gear. Haven't done much since this challenge started. Summers' coming and I want to be out of this damn apartment enjoying it.

Congrats, Glib!

Tri State ladies, I found this (jJust sharing):

March 24, 2010
Wednesday 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Detail: Courtney and Kiss 95.7 are gathering up the best single men in the Tri-state area just for you. Come and MEET what the Tri-state has to offer; were sure you’ll find everything you’ve been looking for at the MARKET!!

Where:
Up Or On The Rocks
50 Union Place
Hartford, CT 06103

860-247-6257

Category:
Bar
Music Venue
Nightclub/Lounge

Last edited:
WOW! I met four different guys in one weekend...crazy what going out to places best suited for your personality will actually do :-p

I'm starting to realize that the reason I wasn't meeting guys very often when I was out and about was because I was going to the WRONG places!

WOW! I met four different guys in one weekend...crazy what going out to places best suited for your personality will actually do :-p

I'm starting to realize that the reason I wasn't meeting guys very often when I was out and about was because I was going to the WRONG places!

Can you let us know what places you went to? Also did you go alone or with ohers?

Going to a speed dating event this Friday. It should be interesting to meet 10-15 men one-on-one in one night.

This is a great thread, I can't believe I'm just now seeing it. I NEED to participate in this. My issue is that I'm quite a loner, I don't mind being held up in my house all day on my computer. I always say I can do the same thing at the bookstore I just never get around to actually going. I now work from home and my side hustles are done from the comfort of my home too, so I really don't get out much.. :(

Things have got to change and I think I will do a few things such as

Online Dating I don't have a problem with this and have done it many times before but this time I think I will actually use a subscription service. My question to you ladies that have done the online dating thing, which paid websites have you had good luck with... Match, Chemistry, eHarmony, Black People Meet? Any info would be great

Bookstores At least once a week instead of working from home I will go to a bookstore

Social Events At least twice a month I will attend some type of event be it a poetry reading, playdate, or just me going to a happy hour.

Do you introvert ladies have anything that worked well for you?

BTW I am i30 and live in Atlanta, I will PM a couple of you Atlanta ladies :) TIA

Time to get back in the challenge lol. Last month, I went to a young professionals event and there may be some potential there. I'll be doing the YP event this month and joining a planning committee for the group. Otherwise, I need to come up with some ideas for my weekends this month.

Do you introvert ladies have anything that worked well for you?

BTW I am i30 and live in Atlanta, I will PM a couple of you Atlanta ladies :) TIA

Meetup.com is a must. Gets you out and meeting new people. I have no problem making friends, but I find that if I can find a reason to stay home, I would. So I guess I am more introverted than I want to blieve, lol. You know I don't think I am introverted, more so I have bouts of shyness (not all the time, just enought to hinder a lot of dating progress) that can be crippling.

Meetup.com is a must. Gets you out and meeting new people. I have no problem making friends, but I find that if I can find a reason to stay home, I would. So I guess I am more introverted than I want to blieve, lol. You know I don't think I am introverted, more so I have bouts of shyness (not all the time, just enought to hinder a lot of dating progress) that can be crippling.

Thanks for your reply. I looked on Meetup.com a while back and joined a few meetups but never check my meetup page after that. I tried looking for those that had meetups at least once a month, hopefully some of the ones I was once interested in are still active.

Thanks for reminding me about this resource I'm going to get right to it!! :grin:

That is a great idea and something I really hadn't thought of before!! I usually just go to wherever something may be taking place. Going to start scouting the RIGHT places...

I went to Best Buy today @ lunch just to fool around and look @ the piano/keyboards. I came out of the music room and there was a sea of well groomed bm in the store (if they were available or not -- who knows). I can't see myself going back only because I am just not a technology buff like that and for me to be in there it would look like I AM looking for a MAN, LOL. But for the technology minded -- check it out.

Can you let us know what places you went to? Also did you go alone or with ohers?

Sure.

In all instances I was by myself.

I met two of the guys at the same place. It's a local neighborhood bar that I used to go to all the time. Now that I'm moving back to the neighborhood, I can be a "regular" again. LOL! It makes sense that I'd meet guys here - it's a very laid back spot, which sometimes features live music. And the warm atmosphere and bar set up lends itself to conversations with others sitting at the bar. Also, since I'm a "regular," I am very open and upbeat while I am there.

The other guy I met while walking in my neighborhood. I passed by him and he smiled at me and I smiled back. Then, I looked over my shoulder and, sure enough, he had stopped to see if I might stop and smile at him again.

Finally, the last guy I met was on the subway. I had just come from the Home Depot and was lugging some crap to paint my new apartment. I asked him if he had been waiting for the train for a while. He was like "No, but I can check the MTA google App to get an idea of when the next one's coming." I was like "There's an app for that? Cool!" So, we started chatting from there.

The common threads in all of these places: I was smiling, friendly and approachable. And I was also in situations where I am very comfortable.

Any tips on how to navigate going to a bar/lounge solo? I'm going out on Friday. . .

Anywhere that plays live music is a great bet. Rather than just sitting and chilling at a bar, you're there to actually enjoy something. Plus, the band/performer will be a great conversation starter (i.e. "Hey, have you ever heard these guys play before?" "What do you think of the performance?" etc etc).

Also, even if you don't meet anyone, if it's a good show, you'll still have had a nice evening out :yep:

I go out by myself all the time in NYC, so if any other NYCers want any tips, just PM me :)

Anywhere that plays live music is a great bet. Rather than just sitting and chilling at a bar, you're there to actually enjoy something. Plus, the band/performer will be a great conversation starter (i.e. "Hey, have you ever heard these guys play before?" "What do you think of the performance?" etc etc).

Also, even if you don't meet anyone, if it's a good show, you'll still have had a nice evening out :yep:

I go out by myself all the time in NYC, so if any other NYCers want any tips, just PM me :)

Great tips. I go out by myself 95 percent of the time but it's like I'm in a bubble. I think I need to engage people more. I will try a lounge or bar with music or maybe a sports bar with a game playing. :yep: I also just joined the alum group for my university. They actually went to an NBA game last night but I didn't find out until yesterday. So I told them to add me to the listserve. :yep:

Last edited:
Went to a hotel lounge on friday. Lots of old couples so that was a bust. I also went to whole foods on friday to scout it out. That might have some potential on a weekday after work. This weekend I'm doing a wine and cheese tasting. I think I need to do more events and classes instead of bars. :yep:

I'm definitely mingling and I'm trying to find a spot where I can go out, chill and listen to great music. I can't believe none of the DC ladies know of any jazz spots in the city!

Back