Ok Single Girls...

Where do you meet eligible men in Real Life?

• At The Grocery Store

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • At the Gym

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • At the Club/Lounge/Bar

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • At the Mall

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • On the Streets

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Introduced Through Mutual Friends

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • At Work

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • At a Sporting Event

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
The whole smiling thing....it's pretty easy. If you make eye contact with someone, smile and say hello.

1) You've smiled
2) They know you're approachable because you spoke to them.

If they're interested they'll pick up where you left off!

So no, you do not have to walk around with a smile plastered on your face at all times.

Also, if there are men within close proximity and they've witnessed this little exchange, they're also on notice that you're approachable.

If you do go out with friends make sure they like to have a good time, laughing and giggling is attractive. I'd also refrain from traveling in packs. All the places under the sun have already been named.

This is soooo true Frankie. Through this thread I recently came to the epiphany that I constantly walk around or drive around in my car with a expression that screams "I'm gonna beat you up."

I made the decision not to come off like that anymore but I am not walking around 24/7 like Ms. Sunshine either. I met a guy at the laundromat the other night. VERY SEXY man. He approached me and gave me his number-why? He said I appeared to be "nice and approachable." He opened the door for me while I was trying to roll my loads in and later he said my smile was irresistible. All I did was smile and say thank you when he opened the door for me and he surely picked up where I left off!

I was very, very successful dating online. I am in a serious relationship now with someone I met online. If you are limiting yourself to IRL dating, I'd strongly recommend you go get the hookup from a mutual friend. The drawback to meeting people IRL is that they are strangers and you often have to waste a lot of time just getting to know the basics about them. At least when you get set up by a friend, they've been "vetted" somewhat.

Going to events and other obvious places where professional men hang out will usually get you a booty call. These guys know there are a lot of single women out there looking for someone and often are looking to take advantage of them.

Usually, when I met good guys IRL, it was totally the luck of the draw. I'd usually meet them when I wasn't even expecting to meet anybody.

I'm against meeting guys when I'm out and about. I'd rather date someone who already knows me but not too well. Like a classmate or someone who works at the same place as me but doesn't work with me of a friend of a friend. I stopped giving out my number at parties or the club because i realize most guys go to these places looking for women. Then I met a guy and the grocery store and I thought, well he didn't come her looking for a woman he was hungry and happened to see someone he liked. Well, after about 2 months he told me he was tired of waiting (for x). We never did anything besides him come to my house or me hang out at his. So from there on out I stopped responding to guys trying to pick me up because its just a physical attraction and I'm not looking for a physical relationship. I want someone who knows me enough to know that he wants to get to know me better and see where things can go.

I'm against meeting guys when I'm out and about. I'd rather date someone who already knows me but not too well. Like a classmate or someone who works at the same place as me but doesn't work with me of a friend of a friend. I stopped giving out my number at parties or the club because i realize most guys go to these places looking for women. Then I met a guy and the grocery store and I thought, well he didn't come her looking for a woman he was hungry and happened to see someone he liked. Well, after about 2 months he told me he was tired of waiting (for x). We never did anything besides him come to my house or me hang out at his. So from there on out I stopped responding to guys trying to pick me up because its just a physical attraction and I'm not looking for a physical relationship. I want someone who knows me enough to know that he wants to get to know me better and see where things can go.

:look: :look: :look:

how old are you?

I think the key word here is "dateable".

I mean, there are men EVERYWHERE. You can walk down the street and trip over a man. :look:

But I'm taking about the intelligent, ambitious, respectful and honest men with good credit and preferably no kids (but one at the most).

Where are they? :lachen:

Ok that's what i'm looking for.:grin:

college campus, military, vocational schools.

Great ideas actually!!!
i know i'd be quite the little cougar if i tried to pick someone up at a college campus :lachen:

anyone experienced meeting and dating within the military?
Having done paramilitary stuff when i was younger, I would think that there's a lot of caution when dating, because the rules and regulations around sexual harassment, etc...

I haven't read this whole thread yet because I'm supposed to be studying for the biochemistry exam I have in 2 days....(Read: must try...HARD...to log off of LHCF:look:)....However, I had to drop a line in here and say that I'm looking too! I'm 23 going on 24 and It seems sooo hard, especially now that I'm in med school and don't really get out much. I haven't tried online dating yet, but I was thinking about it..

I haven't read this whole thread yet because I'm supposed to be studying for the biochemistry exam I have in 2 days....(Read: must try...HARD...to log off of LHCF:look:)....However, I had to drop a line in here and say that I'm looking too! I'm 23 going on 24 and It seems sooo hard, especially now that I'm in med school and don't really get out much. I haven't tried online dating yet, but I was thinking about it..

I havent had too much luck with online dating but it seems to have worked out well for quite a few people. You just have to weed through the snakes for the prince.

Not true!!!!! lol
BACK THAN I met the most nicest trini guy in my life at caribana he lives in ny , engineer, good looking successful man but at that time I was avoiding relationships like the PLAGUE.

When I went to nyc to visit family he took me on a shopping spree and to some fine restaurants he was really nice ...I wasnt ready at allllllllll tho.

Hey Kisses!!!! :wave: What up!
I'm finding that all the people on the streets at the different festivals.. like AfroFest/Caribana.. you know how them things are....

Caribbana's for all the Americans.. so yeah.. American guys will approach, and then they're gone like the wind the week after... and the Cdn guys? ... They're just off somewhere wildin out...

Actually Afrofest, and the other festivals... i've been, but not really met anyone.. lol, maybe I should be hanging out with you...

I think it's important to vet the clientele of an event/establishment before spending your time there. If you're looking for educated, professional men then you've got to go where they are. The gym is a great place to meet men. However, the bare bones sweat shop on the corner may not be your best bet for meeting Mr. MBA/JD/PhD. That nicer fitness clubs with pools, tennis courts, and raquetball are probably where you'd find him. Also it's probably a good idea to take up an activity that people with money do. Golf is a great one. So is skiing. Parks and lakes with running/walking/biking trails are also another great place. If you frequent the same spot for a couple of weeks at the same time of day you're likely to start seeing familiar faces and a conversation can suddenly spring up during a water break. You don't see a lot of black female runners/bikers so you'll stand out automatically.
Also join the professional organizations that aren't specifically directed toward blacks. While our numbers are fewer at their events there are still a decent number of black men in attendance who are often quite happy to see another black face in the crowd.
I recently moved to a new city and I've been trying to get out as much as possible and it's yielding some good results in turns of being approached and meeting men for potential dates.

It's to the point now that in order for me to meet a man, I have to move to another state. I'm serious, the men here seem to date the same women over and over and over, and it doesn't help that most people here know each other. Like at my college, there are certain women that "get around" and I DO NOT want a man who was with any of these women :nono:

I met my ex while wheeling a trolley in the supermarket. I met the 2 before him in the workplace but didn’t get involved with them until after I was at another job and I met my SO online.

See? you're lucky, to not be looking, they always say that the ones that aren't looking (or never were looking in the first place) get smacked upside the head with a good man...

I've heard too many of the same stories....

This is very true. I am in no way shape or form looking for a relationship and I'm meeting men everywhere. A sexy 6'6 firefighter, a doctoral student in Electrical Engineering (great conversations), etc. And they have been genuinely nice guys. It's like when I broke up with my ex, they just jumped out of the woodwork. I guarantee that when I'm ready to commit, I'll be looking around like, "Where'd you go?"

I'm not single, but I meet men every place. Like right now....I'm at work sitting at my desk. And there is this man that keeps coming back and chatting me up. He was here in the morning. Complimented me and everything I had on, gave me his card and left. Then he just showed up right now again- telling me "he was just in the area having lunch with some friends." He told me he'll be back. =/

Ok, I did some research online a couple of weeks ago to find out where I can find single men and here's what I've come up with:

Theater
Coffee Shops
Book Signings
Parks
Check Out Your Local Newspapers for Events
Art Exhibits
Book Clubs
Museums ( wax, science, historical etc)
-get a membership at a museum to get members-only emails with advance notice of exhibitions, programs, events, and special offers
Bowling Alley
Sushi Bar
-I don't even like Sushi, but you best believe I will be in there looking cute and struggling with some chopsticks
Bookstores
Movies
Concerts
Cooking Classes
Happy Hour
Sports Lessons (i.e. Tennis)
Dance Lessons
Ride a Bike
Auto Show
Learn How to Play an Instrument
Art Classes (painting, ceramics, watercolors, drawing, sculpting etc)
Poetry Jams
Classes at Home Improvement Stores
Charity Events
Join a Political Campaign
-maybe you could meet the next Obama
Sailing Lessons
Self Defense Classes
Farmer's Market
Opening Night for a Play or Arts Show
Annual Events (i.e. a New Years Eve party)
-Big events=Big attendance. Attending events that only occur once a year will give you a chance to meet guys that don't go out often
Local Sports League
-I didn't even know these things existed. They are co-ed social sports league for young professionals. I found this website: http://www.zogsports.com/nj/home.aspx
They have leagues you can join in NJ, NY, ATL, DC, CT, SF. They play games like softball, basketball, dodgeball, football etc
Go Out for Lunch
-I usually eat lunch in my car, because I don't like to be bothered, but now I'm starting to realize that I'm not going to find anybody by being confined in my car. If you make your own lunch eat it at the park or somewhere where you can be seen
Food/Music Festivals
Ski Resorts
Pool/Beach
Antique Shows
Comedy Clubs
Pool Halls

Last edited:
Honestly could have saved all that typing and just said anywhere lol.

Well, my original purpose was to find fun things to do, and then it turned into finding places where I could meet guys, so I couldn't type just anywhere. :lol: Personally for me if I'm active , and go out a lot it effects my energy. I'm more inviting and less afraid to approach or talk to strangers. So the list I've created can be used to do more fun activities on your own, while also making yourself more positive and confident in social settings so that you're more likely to attract potential mates.

Back