Ok Single Girls...

Where do you meet eligible men in Real Life?

• At The Grocery Store

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • At the Gym

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • At the Club/Lounge/Bar

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • At the Mall

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • On the Streets

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Introduced Through Mutual Friends

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • At Work

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • At a Sporting Event

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
or anywhere in the state of Michigan. :look:

You really shouldn't say this, cuz my recent ex (broke up with him about a month ago) Is from Michigan. He was great! ....well... until he started acting brand new. lol. But I'd date a Michigan man again.. in a hot second.
Like Estelle, I love me some American Boys...:grin:

You really shouldn't say this, cuz my recent ex (broke up with him about a month ago) Is from Michigan. He was great! ....well... until he started acting brand new. lol. But I'd date a Michigan man again.. in a hot second.
Like Estelle, I love me some American Boys...:grin:

I don't have anything against men from Michigan. It just seems like all of the ones worth their salt, especially professional Black men, have already left the state. :look:

I can't say I really blame them either. The economy here sucks. The factories that were the livelihood of the past are closing down and have been steadily cutting jobs for years. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and we were in a state-wide recession before the rest of the country, so that should tell you something. :rolleyes:

Let me stop ranting. Carry on, ladies.

Last edited:
DC Ladies meetup events:

Something New DC
Bend It Like It's New: Huge DC United Tailgate Party! RSVP now

Come out for some tailgating fun at RFK before the D.C. United vs. Chicago Fire soccer game! We'll gather in RFK's Tent Village to mingle and listen to the live band "Shag" perform. Beer trucks are available for purchases. Bring your own chairs and food to share. If folks are interested, we can set up a more organized potluck and barbecue. Indicate your interests in your reply, and check back for future details. Read more
When?
Thursday, May 8, 2008, 5:30 PM
Where?
RFK Stadium
2400 East Capitol Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
202-675-5100
Meeting fee

$22.00 per person
(Pay with PayPal)
RSVP limit

Only 30 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 19 more.
Who?

11 members have said Yes

DC-Let's Lounge not Club

New, Young, Hope to be, Hope to Have...Mother's Day Brunch! RSVP now

Hey All:

Mother's Day is a time when we should honor our mothers...and any mother we know for that matter, whether it be a sister, grandmother, aunt or close friend. Many of us in this area are not able to be with our own mothers ): for varying reasons... so let's do something unique!

This year, DCLLnC is hosting a "New, Young, Hope to be, Hope to Have...Mother's Day Brunch! Read more
When?
Sunday, May 11, 2008, 12:00 PM
Where?
Levante's Dupont Circle
1320 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
202 293 3244
This is a private home or office
Meeting fee

$28.00 per person
(Pay with PayPal)
RSVP limit

Only 30 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 16 more.
Who?

14 members have said Yes

30+ City Singles
Summer Screen on the Green 2008 RSVP now

Free Outdoor Movies at the National Mall
Screen on the Green returns to Washington, DC again this year!

Bring a blanket to the National Mall on a summer night and watch a classic film on a gigantic movie screen. The following films will be shown on Monday nights beginning at dusk, around 8:30-9:00 p. m.

People start to claim their spots on the lawn as early as 5 p.m. Read more
When?
Monday, Jun 2, 2008, 7:00 PM
Where?
National Mall
Between 4th and 7th St, NW
Washington, DC 20565
RSVP limit

Only 20 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' or 'Maybe' for this meeting. This meeting is full.
Who?

15 members have said Yes

5 members have said Maybe

DC/MD/VA Black Professionals & Entrepreneurs Meetup Group

Network, Network, Network RSVP now

TBA
When?
Sunday, Jun 15, 2008, 3:00 PM
Where?
Cosmopolitan Properties
414 Florida Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Event fee

$15.00 per person
RSVP limit

Only 20 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 9 more.
Who?

11 members have said Yes

I have a friend that's in the DC Lounge not club group. But he said there's a lot more women than men.

Here's a list of places to find them OR places to go on a date:

lounges
comedy club
cultural center
Bars
churches
job
book store
grocery store
laundry mats
library
bowling alley
gym
traveling
doctors office
civic groups
school
parties
affinity club
coffeehouse
sporting groups
shopping
charties
public events
restuarants
public tansportation
hotel lobby
Guided of your own city
seminar/lecture
visit newspaper production
be apart of a live audience
tour a manufacture plant
antique shop
sports grill
Ngerian club
jazz club
Arboretium
sports event
karoki
cultrual center
comedy club
lounge
jamican resturant/club
open mik
community education classes
restaurants
poetry slams
book clubs
professional mixers (for one's individual career)
conferences
hobby meet-ups
Pool hall
shooting range
park
lake
air or ice hockey
movies
zoo
fishing
dance lessons
Horse races i.e. Kentucy Derby there you will find the RICH & FAMOUS!!

Thanks! Thats a lot of ground to cover. :look:

Horse races i.e. Kentucy Derby there you will find the RICH & FAMOUS!!

speaking of horse races, MD/DC/VA ladies Preakness is coming up in two weeks..... you might wanna check that out.

I'm always on the field with drunk folks...but stadium seating is a wonderful place to meet rich dates.

Single girls.. and for those of you not so single.. lol..

Where are you all meeting *datable* men these days?

My friends have put me on an internet ban. (Yeah. :sekret: that's right. I said it. I've done my fair share of internet dating.... no luck yet)

Anyway. I really don't meet many datable men in 'real' life.

I've thought long and hard... No.. i don't go clubbing too much anymore... (maybe I should start) but Yes, i do get out and about....

(I do promotional and marketing events, so I'm all over the place in a given month.)

The men I do meet, i'm not interested in... I get alot of OLD caucasian men... Like 50 years old.. who stop and whistle, or tell me it's a pity their wife is up ahead :perplexed:

I glam myself up on occasion, make sure my makeup's right, my clothes are decent... what gives!?

Where are you guys meeting men on a day to day basis? Let me know, cuz i'm not meeting the eligible ones...

I met my husband at work. :drunk:

Rhode Island Young Professionals
Subject: Rhode Island Young Professionals "The Key to the City" Recognition Social - Monday May 12th, 2008

Dear Friends, Colleagues and Supporters,

The Rhode Island Young Professionals (RIYP), an auxiliary of the Urban League of Rhode Island (ULRI), will host our "The Key to the City" Recognition Social on Monday May 12th, 2008 from 7PM to 9PM at Fleming's Prime Steakhouse located within the Westin Hotel in Downtown Providence, RI.

RIYP's "The Key to the City" event is an elite recognition social intended to achieve two goals. First, RIYP wishes to acknowledge the donors and sponsors who have and continue to support our mission of "Empowering Communities, Changing Lives" by helping us promote the National Urban League's 5 point agenda of empowerment in the areas of Education and Youth, Economics, Health and Quality of Life, Civic Engagement and Leadership and Civil Rights and Racial
Justice.

Secondly, RIYP's "The Key to the City" event is intended to bring more awareness to the Urban League of Rhode Island's programs and services as well as bridge the gap between the ULRI, its affiliate organizations, the Urban League Guild of Rhode Island and the Rhode Island Young Professionals, and
professionals throughout the State of Rhode Island.

As previously stated, RIYP's "The Key to the City" Recognition Social will take place on Monday May 12th 2008 from 7PM to 9PM at Fleming's Prime Steakhouse located at the Westin Hotel in downtown Providence, RI. Tickets to the event are $10 per person for Urban League of Rhode Island Members (including Guild and RIYP members) and $15 dollars per person for non-members. Free appetizers will provided courtesy of Fleming's Prime Steakhouse. Promotional materials have been included with this correspondence.

RIYP's "The Key to the City" Recognition Social is sure to be successful as it will not only provide an excellent networking opportunity for professionals throughout the state of Rhode Island, but also financially support an excellent cause; the
initiatives and programs of the Rhode Island Young
Professionals. For more information or to purchase tickets please contact Fund Development Chair Fred McLin at (401) 808-1907 or Vice President Erika Read at (401) 419-0088.

On behalf of the Rhode Island Young Professionals, I thank you for your continued support and look forward to seeing you in attendance.

Cordially,
Raymond L. Watson
2008 President
Rhode Island Young Professionals
www.riyp.org

golf-150 meetup
DC area ladies sport event

DC/MD/VA Black Golfers,

I want to extend an invitation for you to join me in Reston for a special golf clinic complements of the Capital Society. If you would like to attend the fee is $45 and I need to know NLT, 20 May.

Best Regards,

Wes

Last edited:
your are very right, it is about being "approachable"...sure every man loves an attractive woman but above all I think that if you look happy, smiling and as if you are enjoying life you appear welcoming, hence they are more likely to talk to you. Men are just more easy going and laid back overall, they love their friends and they love a woman they think they can be their relaxed selves around. On top of that, if you are funny and personable after the initial greeting its a wrap, you've got em hooked!

I thought hard about this the other day.
I've come to the conclusion that I don't smile enough in public where potential men would be...
Yeah, I smile when I'm out and about for work in front of the public,but they're paying me to smile... and men can't come up to me at those points....(well. the white men come up regardless. lol)

buuuuttt... from Black men, I have heard the same thing over and over....
SMILE MORE! -you have a beautiful smile.... and i'm like :ohwell:

I'll try it this week, and tell you all what happens
(Just worried that i'm going to look like a grinning fool out on the streets... like this--->:grin:)

speaking of horse races, MD/DC/VA ladies Preakness is coming up in two weeks..... you might wanna check that out.

I'm always on the field with drunk folks...but stadium seating is a wonderful place to meet rich dates.

I'll bite what is Preakness and where is it held?

I have met a couple of men at professional events and this seems to be the norm there. A lot of them feel that they are "good" catches because of their positions and that we should be throwing it at them and sad fact is a lot of women do. But I am still trying to find out where to be for a good man to find me. lol My church is filled with a lot of women and older married men. So no hope there.

I've noticed this too. Those are the ones I never call.

I'll bite what is Preakness and where is it held?

It's the second race following the Kentucky Derby in the Triple Crown.... It's in Baltimore at the Pimilico Race track next Saturday on the 17th... ticket prices depend on whether you want infield or stadium seating...the drunk college students are on the fiels while the the rich business men are in the boxes and stadium seats

I think my issue is approachable. My friend says I don't look like I'm looking for a man. :ohwell: I mean, am I supposed to be walking around with a smile plastered on my face? :look: If going out without girlfriends means meeting more guys, who will I be talking to to give me that happy, carefree appearance? How does one look more approachable?

Ok, wow-I never realized that not smiling probably is a factor to making me unapproachable. Must change this pronto.

DC is too far. Any ladies in the Philly area-and know some good spots?

To the ladies who don't smile - Do men always ask why you're not smiling? I used to think keeping a mean mug would keep people from wanting to talk to me but it doesn't work. It actually does the opposite. :wallbash:

I just want to add my bit in on the smiling thingy, I think you would look a lil'off if you walked around with a full smile on your face. I think that your face should look 'welcoming", just peaceful looking. Meaning no raised eyebrows, pursed lips ect. So I suggest walking around thinking about something that was enjoyable or somewhat funny or fun.

@ barbiesocialite----- lol... "no hetero" that's cute!

Umm... personally. I think smiling/perkiness is overrated. If thats not you then don't fake it. Just do you.

To the ladies who don't smile - Do men always ask why you're not smiling? I used to think keeping a mean mug would keep people from wanting to talk to me but it doesn't work. It actually does the opposite. :wallbash:

I get asked that ALL the time, and it bugs the heck out of me. That's just how my face looks, I can't help it. And they just naturally assume that I'm the black version of Posh Spice. I just :rolleyes:, I'm not walkin round lookin like the Joker.

Lmao ugh I hate that "why dont you smile?" question. I'd look like a facking retard walking around smiling. I mean smiles are more inviting I guess but smiling for nothing is just...

I have a friend that smiles a lot. I think shes bonkers.

But yeah, I still havent found a guy yet. 2.5 years single and counting ....:sad:

Single girls.. and for those of you not so single.. lol..

Where are you all meeting *datable* men these days?

My friends have put me on an internet ban. (Yeah. :sekret: that's right. I said it. I've done my fair share of internet dating.... no luck yet)

Anyway. I really don't meet many datable men in 'real' life.

I've thought long and hard... No.. i don't go clubbing too much anymore... (maybe I should start) but Yes, i do get out and about....

(I do promotional and marketing events, so I'm all over the place in a given month.)

The men I do meet, i'm not interested in... I get alot of OLD caucasian men... Like 50 years old.. who stop and whistle, or tell me it's a pity their wife is up ahead :perplexed:

I glam myself up on occasion, make sure my makeup's right, my clothes are decent... what gives!?

Where are you guys meeting men on a day to day basis? Let me know, cuz i'm not meeting the eligible ones...

send them to me... I love white guys, even the old ones :blush:

The whole smiling thing....it's pretty easy. If you make eye contact with someone, smile and say hello.

1) You've smiled
2) They know you're approachable because you spoke to them.

If they're interested they'll pick up where you left off!

So no, you do not have to walk around with a smile plastered on your face at all times.

Also, if there are men within close proximity and they've witnessed this little exchange, they're also on notice that you're approachable.

If you do go out with friends make sure they like to have a good time, laughing and giggling is attractive. I'd also refrain from traveling in packs. All the places under the sun have already been named.

Back