Single and Ready to Mingle: 2011 Edition!

Aww..I wish you would reconsider...Ive been out pretty consistently, and even though I have been approached, I have yet to establish anything serious with anyone...but if you feel like its the right thing for you, then I wish you the best.

Sent from my Sprint HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

I'll be back for 2012. :yep:

Last edited:
I read through some of these posts and you all have some major cajones!:blush: I wouldn't say that I'm shy but I keep completely to myself and can't fathom approaching strangers, especially not men. And apparently they can’t imagine approaching me either:ohwell:. Maybe I can mentally prepare myself to join for 2012.

Anyway, it’s August and I’ve been out once with one guy and it wasn’t even a date. I have to make some changes:look:.

I'm chilling out on hitting the scene for a while. I won't be doing much hanging just to be hanging, just hobbies and stuff. This wknd I plan on going to a krav class (actually those usually have a good amt of men in them) and a yoga class (will only have gay men). And I may ride the train into the city and treat myself to brunch on Sunday.

I'm working on some things with my appearance right now also, so I'ma step back and focus on those. Finally going to try to get rid of this acne (going to a derm, I'll even get on accutane if I have to). And also, I finally have enough hair to where I feel comfortable trying out natural styles (and tired of wigs), so will be doing some experiments on that. And my fall/winter wardrobe is lacking, so going to work on that as well.

Last edited:
so i went out last night. it was great bc i was the belle of the ball. which doesnt happen often so if you end up being the belle of the ball you have to eat that sh!t up while you can and talk to as many guys as possible. but just as i was getting warmed up during the let out, with the best wing girl you can ask for. i met this guy who would just NOT leave me alone. i mean i wasn't sure if i liked him or not so i just gave him my number and was ready to move on. but he wouldn't. no matter what i said the boy stuck to me like glue and wouldn't go away. he completely ruined my boy hunting night. it really angered me. anyway i hope to go out again tonight and hopefully i'll have the same luck.

Lol! I haven't heard this phrase in ages!

Ahh, I remember the "let out" in my college clubbing days. :lol: Those were the good ol days.

I joined OKC. I was looking through some matches and found a co-workers profile. I HAD to look at it. I really hope the site didn't send him one of those emails... "So and so is checking you out Now!" That would be ...akward:ohwell::lol:

i just wanna have some fun sometimes, but i am not ready for anything serious. i got a lot on my plate and trying to adjust to being a single parent.

For the ladies who are bold enough to go to a bar solo, how do you do it :look: I've tried it a couple times but just felt awkward. There are a couple nice places that I want to try.

I've been doing my mingling on POF lately. I don't know if I want to get back on OKC because I didn't have much luck the first time I joined.

I had to go away for this intensive training for work for a few weeks. And ever since I got back I have just lost my enthusiasm for going out. Plus the weather's been kinda shady. Thinking about just getting me a flat screen and hibernating for the rest of the year. Catch up on some reading, do some workout dvds,make APL, etc.

I have not been mingling at the right places. I went out last night and I had fun, but where I was at was not the place for me to meet datable men.

I seriously need to reread this thread because obviously I've been doing everything wrong. The year is almost over and I haven't been looked at even once. You'd think I was going out looking like some monster.

Argh, it's so frustrating to have to go all out and put in so much extra time and effort in my presentation just to be on the same level as a Becky in sweatpants and a skank top.

One of my old guy friends said when I do dress up, guys are assuming that I'm already taken. Well, that's just his opinion, but lord knows they'll send the dog catcher after me if I decide to skip the makeup and heels. Argh.

I seriously need to reread this thread because obviously I've been doing everything wrong. The year is almost over and I haven't been looked at even once. You'd think I was going out looking like some monster.

Story of my life!!!

I don't think there's anything necessarily with the way you dress. People just say things to make you feel better according to your circumstance.

If you said you dressed homely, people will say oh, just become more stylish and you will get approached (while women say they get approached while looking homely all the time). If you say you dress casual glam and get ignored, people will say, oh just step it up a notch and look fully glam to get approached (while women get approached daily while looking casually cute). If you look glam on a daily basis, people will say oh, try looking more casual so you don't intimidate men (when women who look glam get approached daily). :drunk:

If you said you dressed homely, people will say oh, just become more stylish and you will get approached (while women say they get approached while looking homely all the time). If you say you dress casual glam and get ignored, people will say, oh just step it up a notch and look fully glam to get approached (while women get approached daily while looking casually cute). If you look glam on a daily basis, people will say oh, try looking more casual so you don't intimidate men (when women who look glam get approached daily). :drunk:

I KNOW, RIGHT?!?! I must be secretly giving off some man-hating vibes because this year has just been tragic for me. It's really starting to get to me, sometimes I catch myself thinking, "what's wrong with me?" I know better, but this is really getting depressing.

Throughout the summer I've been going out a lot, but it hasn't been that great... haven't met anyone promising. Just recently I met a guy at a beach party whom I think is so good looking.. but I don't know if this is going to be anything more than friendship.

So I've realised - I have to change it up. I know that its not likely that you're going to meet guys who want more than just a one night stand at a club.
So my group of single girlfriends have decided we're going to try speed dating later this month. It will be my first time and I'm terrified.. but i like to put myself in situations where i'm forced to be more social.
Has anyone tried speed dating and provide some tips????

Anyway.. summer is over.. didn't really accomplish what I wanted.. but I'm looking forward to trying new things in the fall and winter and doing things outside of the box.
I've started doing some volunteering.. it helps me with being more comfortable talking with new people, helping the community, and meeting new friends.

good luck everyone.

I've been avoiding going out mainly bc I'd like to work on my appearance some more. Skin still always jacked up (sigh). Still experimenting with best hair styles for me while also avoiding heat/maintaining healthy hair practices (a HUGE issue bc a lot of styles just DO NOT look cute on me:nono: and there aren't a bunch of options really with my hair texture). And also working on my wardrobe. Sigh. There's an event I'm contemplating going to this wknd. But have no idea what to wear/what to do w/my hair. And not sure if my skin will be looking any better by then:ohwell:

I'm hoping I can take the rest of this year and really work hard on my "look".

Argh, it's so frustrating to have to go all out and put in so much extra time and effort in my presentation just to be on the same level as a Becky in sweatpants and a skank top.

One of my old guy friends said when I do dress up, guys are assuming that I'm already taken. Well, that's just his opinion, but lord knows they'll send the dog catcher after me if I decide to skip the makeup and heels. Argh.

Huh? That doesn't even make sense to me. Is it just me?

Year is almost over and I'm still single but I did not really try to date anyways and have not put myself out there. I was talking to a guy in another state but when we established I had no intentions of moving and nor he we had to move on. I have a feeling my future mate does not live in my current state. I need to move but can't yet. I'm no longer stressing though. It is what it is.

I advise everyone to try speed dating. It's an easy way to meet men who are serious about finding women to date or to practice conversing with people you don't know. Hopefully that will make it easier to approach men in bars or at events.
My four friends and I went last Saturday.. I ended up with 2 matches and one of the men has already contacted me to go out on a date... I'll definitely be trying speed dating again.

Good luck all.

I've been mingling online. I am talking to someone, no idea if it's going anywhere. He lives like 2 hours away from me. :ohwell:

How did this year treat you, ladies? Are we ready to start the new year on a positive note with a new challenge? Even after all the mingling Ive done this year, I am still single, though Ive met some quality guys, it seems that they know that they are as well and they have a lot of "potentials" hanging around..So meeting them is not my problem, competition with the other women is..I can only show them who I am, what I bring to the table, and what life would be like if I was their SO..now there may be some women that are doing more/better than me and I can respect that..Maybe next year I can finish first instead of first-runner up.

Back