Ok Single Girls...

Where do you meet eligible men in Real Life?

• At The Grocery Store

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • At the Gym

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • At the Club/Lounge/Bar

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • At the Mall

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • On the Streets

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Introduced Through Mutual Friends

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • At Work

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • At a Sporting Event

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
lol..as long as you're cool with week night hangingsout.....

.actually i might be tag along to CB 2nite if my benadryl kicks in....

slightly OT: i went to the Park last week wed and it was packed...i left around 1230.....u know warm weather brings everybody out

I'm waiting for Resnlt1 to allow me to tag along...... :)

I think the key word here is "dateable".

I mean, there are men EVERYWHERE. You can walk down the street and trip over a man. :look:

But I'm taking about the intelligent, ambitious, respectful and honest men with good credit and preferably no kids (but one at the most).

Where are they? :lachen:

I don't mind the kids because I have a one. I want to find a good match for me. I just not finding him so I have settled in the past. I refuse to do it.

lol..as long as you're cool with week night hangingsout.....

.actually i might be tag along to CB 2nite if my benadryl kicks in....

slightly OT: i went to the Park last week wed and it was packed...i left around 1230.....u know warm weather brings everybody out
yeah I need to go back. that night we went I have no idea what was up.

But um weeknights don't mean nothing to me. I have a potential but my options are definitely open :lol:

Wish I can go out tonight, but I can't. we need to coordinate our schedules. You still got my number?

sure do......maybe we can shoot for Josephine's on a Wed

yeah I need to go back. that night we went I have no idea what was up.

But um weeknights don't mean nothing to me. I have a potential but my options are definitely open :lol:

Wish I can go out tonight, but I can't. we need to coordinate our schedules. You still got my number?

I mean, there are men EVERYWHERE. You can walk down the street and trip over a man. :look:

But I'm taking about the intelligent, ambitious, respectful and honest men with good credit and preferably no kids (but one at the most).

girl if you like them young they are in college especially in your area. otherwise I have no idea. I do get a professionals event listing from boston once in a while. I been meaning to send it to ya.

Not necessarily. It may be for black men that are into stereotypical "white" things, but are open to black women who are also into those things. A black man that grew up in a predominantly white area and went/goes to a predominantly white school and thus hangs out with mostly white people would feel comfortable around a black woman of a similar background.

I speak from experience of writing off a guy, thinking that he was into white and asian girls due to his background and friends. I swore he wasn't into black girls... until he started dating me:yep:. I don't ever want to make the mistake of looking past a perfectly good man because I made the assumption he wouldn't be attracted to me because of my race.

Lys

You may be right. I do sometimes make the assumption.

motorcycle rallys and car shows also.

The grocery store, I always catch some guys attention on Sunday mornings in albertson's. However I hate shopping @ wally's when they have the stockers, yuk.

For my boston cuz

Mzlady

YOUNG PROFESSIONALS NETWORK in Boston.

Saturday, May 10th
We're encouraging you to participate in our National Day of Service on Saturday, May 10 from 9am-12pm at the John D. O'Bryant African American Institute (Northeastern University). Sponsored by Fannie Mae, all of the YP chapters across the country will be educating young people about their financial well-being. If you would like to volunteer with teaching or setting up, please email Jonathan at [email protected].

Tuesday, May 6th
Nomination process will begin for YPN executive board elections. Elections will be held June 5th. Information on this process will be coming soon.

Thursday, May 29th
YPN, the Guild, and the Urban League will be hosting a membership drive and networking session at Blue Wave Bar & Grill from 6pm-8pm.

Sunday's May 4, 11, 18, 25
Watch Urban Update at 11:30 am on Channel 7 as the Urban League pilots the "State of Black Boston" series. If you would like more info on this series or learn how you can be a part of this multi-year initiative, contact Trinh at (617) 442-4519 x 217 or [email protected].

Oh yeah i almost 4got...i read convention centers are great places to have lunch do to the number of ppl in attendance...they've just opened one up not too far from me

i was actually hoping we could do a meet-up on a weeknight in the summer....so i am glad you even mentioned this....

but back to the statement.....yeah that sounds great CG

Abenyo...do you get emails from that group that had the 1st fridays in adams morgan?

Restl and Abenyo- Over the summer I want to do a weeknight hang out with ya ladies. :grin:

i was actually hoping we could do a meet-up on a weeknight in the summer....so i am glad you even mentioned this....

Abenyo...do you get emails from that group that had the 1st fridays in adams morgan?

We don't do meetups during the week. It falls under the ladies night catergory which I don't plan at all. If you wanted to do a ladies night just start a thread.

Hey, BS

Do you tell the guys you aren't interested or do you tell them they have the wrong equipment? Great suggestions.

I'm a businesswoman in my own right, I know good networking opportunities when I see them so I dont shut down men right off the bat....I have to be very careful about establishing boundaries with men because they tend to read into my friendliness with them (ive def rejected a couple marriage proposals lol).

I do, however, tell them that I "pass on penis" when they initially approach me. In my experience acknowledging my sexual orientation means very little to most men so they are usually still pressed to take me out anyway. Furthermore, I know how to read men: smell, shoes, watch, clothing fabric, flashiness, conversation, car, etc so I know when I meet a man that might be a good professional connect I will go out on a date or two. No touching or kissing or sex or any of that ish. This method has been excellent for networking purposes since the men usually want me to become their best friend so we can talk about women together! lol... sometimes it works for my hetero female friends advantages as well because I tend to play match maker a lot too :drunk:

I'm a businesswoman in my own right, I know good networking opportunities when I see them so I dont shut down men right off the bat....I have to be very careful about establishing boundaries with men because they tend to read into my friendliness with them (ive def rejected a couple marriage proposals lol).

I do, however, tell them that I "pass on penis" when they initially approach me. In my experience acknowledging my sexual orientation means very little to most men so they are usually still pressed to take me out anyway. Furthermore, I know how to read men: smell, shoes, watch, clothing fabric, flashiness, conversation, car, etc so I know when I meet a man that might be a good professional connect I will go out on a date or two. No touching or kissing or sex or any of that ish. This method has been excellent for networking purposes since the men usually want me to become their best friend so we can talk about women together! lol... sometimes it works for my hetero female friends advantages as well because I tend to play match maker a lot too :drunk:

Cool, thanks for answering and I didn't want to offend. I had a colleague before that was really pretty too. She was in a committed relationship with a woman. I always wondered how pretty women like you deal with men or moreso how the men respond to you after you tell them you pass on the penis. Your explanation goes back to the "looking approachable" vibe is what drawns men in. I tend to attract a lot of older and sometimes married men.

For my boston cuz

Mzlady

YOUNG PROFESSIONALS NETWORK in Boston.

Saturday, May 10th
We're encouraging you to participate in our National Day of Service on Saturday, May 10 from 9am-12pm at the John D. O'Bryant African American Institute (Northeastern University). Sponsored by Fannie Mae, all of the YP chapters across the country will be educating young people about their financial well-being. If you would like to volunteer with teaching or setting up, please email Jonathan at [email protected].
Tuesday, May 6th
Nomination process will begin for YPN executive board elections. Elections will be held June 5th. Information on this process will be coming soon.
Thursday, May 29th
YPN, the Guild, and the Urban League will be hosting a membership drive and networking session at Blue Wave Bar & Grill from 6pm-8pm.
Sunday's May 4, 11, 18, 25

Watch Urban Update at 11:30 am on Channel 7 as the Urban League pilots the "State of Black Boston" series. If you would like more info on this series or learn how you can be a part of this multi-year initiative, contact Trinh at (617) 442-4519 x 217 or [email protected].

Cool, thanks lady!!!!

I don't mind the kids because I have a one. I want to find a good match for me. I just not finding him so I have settled in the past. I refuse to do it.

I hear you.

None is a preference but I've realized that when your dating pool is men between the ages of 30-40, you might have to be a little flexible with that one. Now I judge on a case by case basis.

Cool, thanks for answering and I didn't want to offend. I had a colleague before that was really pretty too. She was in a committed relationship with a woman. I always wondered how pretty women like you deal with men or moreso how the men respond to you after you tell them you pass on the penis. Your explanation goes back to the "looking approachable" vibe is what drawns men in. I tend to attract a lot of older and sometimes married men.

your are very right, it is about being "approachable"...sure every man loves an attractive woman but above all I think that if you look happy, smiling and as if you are enjoying life you appear welcoming, hence they are more likely to talk to you. Men are just more easy going and laid back overall, they love their friends and they love a woman they think they can be their relaxed selves around. On top of that, if you are funny and personable after the initial greeting its a wrap, you've got em hooked!

your are very right, it is about being "approachable"...sure every man loves an attractive woman but above all I think that if you look happy, smiling and as if you are enjoying life you appear welcoming, hence they are more likely to talk to you. Men are just more easy going and laid back overall, they love their friends and they love a woman they think they can be their relaxed selves around. On top of that, if you are funny and personable after the initial greeting its a wrap, you've got em hooked!

Barbiesocialite, are you meeting these professional men in Baltimore or are you going to DC/ NoVA?

Barbiesocialite, are you meeting these professional men in Baltimore or are you going to DC/ NoVA?

Both. When I used to work in downtown DC and shop at Georgetown I used to meet them all the time, particularly during lunch time hours or on my way home on the metro during rush hours. I also tend to meet professional men when I have lunch, go to happy hour with my best friend or shop in downtown Baltimore as well.... Id def say the high-meeting times are day hours, exceptions to this rule are special conferences/conventions, sports events, fundraiser events or professional cocktail-esque parties (def a lot of quality men in these settings and a shortage of black women imo)

thanks for reminding me. I took myself off their email list cause I was getting random emails from the members that filled up my email. I will see what they have coming up.

Both. When I used to work in downtown DC and shop at Georgetown I used to meet them all the time, particularly during lunch time hours or on my way home on the metro during rush hours. I also tend to meet professional men when I have lunch, go to happy hour with my best friend or shop in downtown Baltimore as well.... Id def say the high-meeting times are day hours, exceptions to this rule are special conferences/conventions, sports events, fundraiser events or professional cocktail-esque parties (def a lot of quality men in these settings and a shortage of black women imo)

I agree with this. I always met men on my lunch break when I worked downtown in Baltimore.

DC Ladies meetup events:

Something New DC
Bend It Like It's New: Huge DC United Tailgate Party! RSVP now

Come out for some tailgating fun at RFK before the D.C. United vs. Chicago Fire soccer game! We'll gather in RFK's Tent Village to mingle and listen to the live band "Shag" perform. Beer trucks are available for purchases. Bring your own chairs and food to share. If folks are interested, we can set up a more organized potluck and barbecue. Indicate your interests in your reply, and check back for future details. Read more
When?
Thursday, May 8, 2008, 5:30 PM
Where?
RFK Stadium
2400 East Capitol Street, S.E.
Washington, DC 20003
202-675-5100
Meeting fee

$22.00 per person
(Pay with PayPal)
RSVP limit

Only 30 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 19 more.
Who?

11 members have said Yes

DC-Let's Lounge not Club

New, Young, Hope to be, Hope to Have...Mother's Day Brunch! RSVP now

Hey All:

Mother's Day is a time when we should honor our mothers...and any mother we know for that matter, whether it be a sister, grandmother, aunt or close friend. Many of us in this area are not able to be with our own mothers ): for varying reasons... so let's do something unique!

This year, DCLLnC is hosting a "New, Young, Hope to be, Hope to Have...Mother's Day Brunch! Read more
When?
Sunday, May 11, 2008, 12:00 PM
Where?
Levante's Dupont Circle
1320 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
202 293 3244
This is a private home or office
Meeting fee

$28.00 per person
(Pay with PayPal)
RSVP limit

Only 30 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 16 more.
Who?

14 members have said Yes

30+ City Singles
Summer Screen on the Green 2008 RSVP now

Free Outdoor Movies at the National Mall
Screen on the Green returns to Washington, DC again this year!

Bring a blanket to the National Mall on a summer night and watch a classic film on a gigantic movie screen. The following films will be shown on Monday nights beginning at dusk, around 8:30-9:00 p. m.

People start to claim their spots on the lawn as early as 5 p.m. Read more
When?
Monday, Jun 2, 2008, 7:00 PM
Where?
National Mall
Between 4th and 7th St, NW
Washington, DC 20565
RSVP limit

Only 20 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' or 'Maybe' for this meeting. This meeting is full.
Who?

15 members have said Yes

5 members have said Maybe

DC/MD/VA Black Professionals & Entrepreneurs Meetup Group

Network, Network, Network RSVP now

TBA
When?
Sunday, Jun 15, 2008, 3:00 PM
Where?
Cosmopolitan Properties
414 Florida Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Event fee

$15.00 per person
RSVP limit

Only 20 members (including guests) can RSVP 'Yes' for this meeting. There's still room for 9 more.
Who?

11 members have said Yes

Hey Metro_qt... I agree with the bolded above. I live in TO also and have tried the online thing too. I've had some success but it's not a great way to meet men. I chose that it's best to meet people through friends. So when you go out, focus on meeting people (in general) men and women... just be open... because the more people you know the more people you will potentially meet. Go out and ENJOY life, meet people cause summertime is the best time to get out and have fun... and you know what they say, when you least expect it (and are happy and having a great time) is when you'll meet a great guy.

Hey Chichi!! I fully agree with what you're saying, and what the other posters have said, I'm just finding it challenging.
I definitely do come into contact with a lot of people on a daily basis, but, I think i'm just going to have to find creative places to go that I wouldn't normally do...
Like Bay Street..
Spring and Summer are the best, you're right, and that's what I shall be doing this summer.. enjoying life!

A Lady once told me that was the key to her having a consistent string of dates. She said women ask her all the time where and how she is meeting men, and her comment was "at them same events" The diffrence is when she's at an event, she makes sure she has a smile on her face and in good spirits.
Now this woman is in her 50's, bubbly personality, and attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous. She told me she met the man that she is dating now at an event full of women, but they didn't radiate happiness and it showed. And later after they had been together for awhile she asked him what attracted him to her, and he said, "I just had to meet the lady with the pretty smile."
That was interesting to me b/c people tell me that I have a nice smile, and I should smile more....and you guested it, it's manly men who have told me this.

I can do this!!! smile... easy. right?

THANK YOU mzLady... that was exactly my point. Dateable.

Back