Single and Ready to Mingle: 2011 Edition!

Count me in! I took Salsa lessons for the first time today, and surprisingly there were as many guys as girls that signed up, not anybody I was really attracted to, but hey you never know prince charming could be coming to the next class!

Last edited:
I wanna join this challenge :wave:

My goal is to date at least three guys at a time. I need to have options. Guys do it all the time and it seems to work for them. I'm also not wasting my time by dating guys that I know I don't have a future with, just to say I'm dating a guy.

Last night I went to a (grad chapter) frat fundraiser/party. It was a lot of fun. I don't go out very often so it felt good to get out and dance. I met a guy, he's been texting me today. I don't mind the informal communication, because honestly, I forgot what he looks like. My cousin is in the frat and he introduced me to a bunch of guys last night. All my cousins in my age range know I'm single and they've been trying to introduce me to guys. I just need to find more guys on my level.

Philly has been a little dry for me. I'm talking to one guy from here. We've been talking for about a month but we've never meet. Lately his convo is getting more into the sexual side and I'm like uh, you don't even know what I look like in person :ohwell:.

I convinced my cousin and a close friend to go speed dating with me next month. I go to the gym regularly, for my own health and to meet people since I'm not from this area. So, yea, I'm on it this year. :look:

I need to go out again.
There's a singles night this Thursday that I may be dragging a work friend to... I've never done anything like that before and I love putting myself in unfamiliar situations .. So if I do it should be interesting.

Last couple guys I spoke to/dated... Well one turned out to be a HUGE jerk... And the other was just too...inexperienced talking to women so we didn't even make it to the first date... Sigh...

I'll report back when there's something worth mentioning.

OK...... I'm in.

I'm a homebody without a car and my females friends are few, never have time for anything or dating.

I might have to start rolling alone

I did talk to a guy form POF ths past Friday. He said he owns a business. However... his voice is irritating. He kept calling me dear in a grand-parent type of way. His voice is not the voice I would want to hear if I was chilling drinkng tea and burining candles.

Am I shallow? ROTFL
ETA: POF is a joke.

I'm in.
I really want to meet someone and attempt to settle down. My friends and family say I don't go any where or do anything that's why I haven't met anyone yet so I'm going to try to go out a little more and see if I can meet some menfolks. Its going to hard because my ships schedule is kind of crazy but hopefully I can find someone that can deal with it. Wish me luck ladies. Good luck to you all as well.

I will definitely be watching from the sidelines and cheering you ladies on! I just broke up with BF of 1.5y over the weekend so not 100% ready to jump back into the dating game just yet. But will be soon! Will be taking notes :look:

i'm not getting out as much as usual because it's so cold out... but i'm still volunteering once or twice a month where i see different people each time i go... and i'm still set on trying matchmaking. and every party i've been invited to, i attend, at least for a little while.

i'll to anything that doesn't involve bar hopping with the gals. that seldom works.

I'm trying to say yes to all invitations. But I'm so busy right now. Anyway, this weekend I went to an outdoor birthday party for that a friend of a friend was having. Didn't meet anyone but it was a fun stress reliever.

Count me in. I had some luck last year when a few friends and I did a similar challenge. It really made me put myself out there in order to meet new people. We actually set a number of dates you had to go on each month which pushed me to get out there to get dates. No one turned out to be a winner but it was a good experience overall.

Not to sure how I am going to do it this year, since the majority of my friends are already in relationships but I am determined not to spend another summer looking for something to do and someone to go out with.

Lets get it in ladies.

I'm in too! I actually went out tonight to meet up with a small group of people in my town who are interested in stocks, specifically dividend reinvesting (drip).

It was a bit awkward greeting them, as I'd never met them face to face.
I was hoping I wouldn't be the only female there, that didn't happen.
I was hoping I wasn't the only black person there, nope they were all white.
I was hoping that there would be someone my age, nope they were all 10-30 years older than I was.

Needless to say I was the young black chick sitting with a sea of balding white men talking about stocks. BUT I did learn a few things and made a few connections, money wise. As for dating, they were all out of the question. And all married. :perplexed

So yeah, hopefully next time there'll be some sort of potential.

Can I still join? I've been out of the game for a MINUTE & I'm ready to get it poppin in 2011. I've been in H-Town since August, so I'm comfortable getting around now...for the most part. I wanted to get my first semester of grad school under my belt first. I've committed to putting myself out there & this challenge is exactly what I need! I haven't told any of my "new" friends here about my goal, but my bff's know what's up & have been pushing me to do this for some time. So I just left the meet-up site. I identified a few groups that sound interesting. If anyone is in Houston & wants to venture out together....

Hello my fellow Houstonian! Check us out in the meetup thread! It will be a great opportunity to get to know some of the ladies and possibly make new hang out friends..Im down for hanging out as well...PM me when you get a chance.

I'm really tired of the same crowd and the same type of negroes. If anyone knows of any nice spots in Atl that don't involve either Jeezy/Gucci Mane wanna be's or Boughetto negroes (standing around judging everyone all night and critiquing each others outfits), please let me know! Esp with my bday coming up in a few weeks I need some suggestions on places to hang out.

I'm in too! I actually went out tonight to meet up with a small group of people in my town who are interested in stocks, specifically dividend reinvesting (drip).

It was a bit awkward greeting them, as I'd never met them face to face.
I was hoping I wouldn't be the only female there, that didn't happen.
I was hoping I wasn't the only black person there, nope they were all white.
I was hoping that there would be someone my age, nope they were all 10-30 years older than I was.

Needless to say I was the young black chick sitting with a sea of balding white men talking about stocks. BUT I did learn a few things and made a few connections, money wise. As for dating, they were all out of the question. And all married. :perplexed

So yeah, hopefully next time there'll be some sort of potential.

I understand your frustration, however, you never know what could come out of this.

I spend a lot of time volunteering and donating to non-profits. The crowd is usually older but it's pretty diverse. There's a lady who really enjoyed having me around. For a while only the director of her non-profit would call me, then she started calling me personally and asking me to call her directly on her cell phone if I had any questions.

She invited me to her home a few weeks ago, but I had to work so I couldn't make it. I called her cell to let her know and she actually wanted me to come over and meet her son who's in grad school for his MBA, and he's cute. :yep: She asked if she could give him my phone number. Usually I would decline, but he comes from a good family so I told her yes.

Some of these older men may have sons or friends of their sons around your age. Maybe a mentee, you never know!

I might have to start rolling alone

I am just starting to do that and I must say that I find it quite liberating. For now, I'm just sort of sticking to myself, nursing drinks, watching the action go on . . . but eventually I know I'll be mingling with the best of them :yep:

So my mingling for 2011 has stalled out so far...working nights and weekends has hampered my plans to hang out..I am confident that I will find a new job sometime soon and will hopefully get back in the swing of things..

Hey Ladies, just checking in. I have been going out at least once every week since the new year started and that is major for this home body.lol. I had one date with a guy who I 'm hopeful about. Tonite I am going out with a friend for dinner and possible bar hopping.

If there are any houston ladies viewing this thread, i will be going to Scott Gertner's sports bar to watch football this evening.. PM me if you would like to hang out

I'm joining, but I probably won't start going out officially until February. I'm using January as my month to mentally recuperate. 2011 didn't start out the way I wanted it too :nono:

But February.... I'll officially start documenting the hijinks, lol.

Anyway, it's hard to maintain the sexy in the northeast in the winter :ohwell:. Don't know how you ladies do it, but it's hitting 6 degrees right now and I'm wrapped up next to my heater... I'm giving my support to those who are out there in the trenches!

I'm joining, but I probably won't start going out officially until February. I'm using January as my month to mentally recuperate. 2011 didn't start out the way I wanted it too :nono:

But February.... I'll officially start documenting the hijinks, lol.

Anyway, it's hard to maintain the sexy in the northeast in the winter :ohwell:. Don't know how you ladies do it, but it's hitting 6 degrees right now and I'm wrapped up next to my heater... I'm giving my support to those who are out there in the trenches!
Yeah, the cold has paralyzed me. I haven't done anything.

Can I join if i'm tech. still in a relationship? I want out, but don't want to be lonely on VDay

I just posted this in my blog, but I figured I would post it here, too. Advice is needed and welcome!

*copy* *paste*

I went to another speed dating event tonight. I must say that at first blush, I was pleasantly surprised. The venue was very nice and the organizers did a great job of making it seem very casual . . . like it wasn't a "big deal" that you were speed dating. (Of course, the guys didn't help and weren't much in the way of conversation. 90% of them opened up with "So, you done this before?" I can't tell if I should lie or not . . . I feel like I'm peddling bad goods when I say that I have . . . but then again, it's just my instinct to tell the truth . . . that this is my third speed dating event since the New Year
lachen70.gif
Don't worry - I'm going to work on a better comeback before the next speed dating event I go to on Saturday
grin.gif
)

Anyways, one of the first guys I met was a really nice, military guy . . . he was husky, but solid. Caramel-complected brotha
lick.gif
And one of the first things he asked me was where I went to church
yep.gif
However, at the end of the evening, I noticed that he was preoccupied chatting up "Becky" (who really wasn't feeling him at all *lol*). It was only after she left that he made his way over to me. I tried not to pay it any mind . . . and we resumed our conversation. But then another "Becky" strolled by, making her way to the exit and he stopped in mid-conversation with me to literally reach out, tap her on the should and tell her good-bye.

Next thing I know, he says to me, "Well, I got a text that there is [some IT] emergency back at the office that only I can fix." Yeah. Right. Lest you think I'm completely clueless, I knew he was lying. But whatever, I was staying at the spot to watch the State of the Union address anyways . . . maybe he wanted a graceful reason to leave. (Even though earlier he was like, "Oh yeah, we need to watch that!") He lingered, continuing our talk, and saying how much he enjoyed talking to me and that he doesn't often meet women with something intelligent to say . . . .

I don't know what I think of all of this. On the one hand, he is clearly hedging his bets by being up in the world of other speed daters at the event. Okay. But, I guess after being so heavily pursued after Dutch Chocolate, I'm wondering if it's even worth my time to hold out hope/pay attention to a guy who isn't going to steadfastly pursue me. Or, maybe I'm expecting to much after only one . . . well, two brief encounters.

Advice? Thoughts?

Any tips for getting yourself out of the house? I am extremely shy and uncomfortable around strangers.

But I know I can't be that way forever if I ever want to be in a relationship.

Oh no!! Lol! Did you meet anyone? Are you having a good time?

I had an okay time..It was really too crowded for me to enjoy myself like I wanted too..I didnt meet anyone that I thought was worth my time..I did meet a photographer:rolleyes:

Oh no! I hope you weren't out alone! I try to really monitor my drinking when I'm running the streets solo.

I wasnt by myself thank god...ironically, the person I was with was the one driving me to drink...she didnt want to mingle with the men, stayed at the bar all night, was a real Debbie Downer..I managed to work the crowd by myself for awhile, but eventually, those Water Moccasins kicked in..:look:

I think for me to be more successful in "mingling" I have to detach myself from my girls and either : split up when we get there, or go by myself.

Back