I knew He Was Broke when....

I just came into this thread to say that the POTUS once had a rusty car with a hole in it. Shelly still got in it though. You never know.

*dashes out before stoning begins*

Shiks said:
I just came into this thread to say that the POTUS once had a rusty car with a hole in it. Shelly still got in it though. You never know.

*dashes out before stoning begins*
I love when people say this. She didn't chill with any broke RayShawn from around the way. The President was a Harvard Law Graduate who managed to become the first Black President of the Harvard Law review, meaning he was making history before he even graduated school. She and him met while working at one of the most prestigious law firms in Chicago, if not the country.

A man like that will only be temporarily low on funds. Its not a "you never know" situation, with a man like that you damn sure do know. **** I would be gladly posted up in that rusted out hooptie with him too, grinning with pride to top it off.

Also please note that as genuinely broke as the president was at the time, he still made it his business to set an entire day aside to woo her, take her to the Chicago Art Institute, a walk by the fountain, then finish with a Spike Lee movie to show her the different facets to his personality.

You can pretty much tell when a man is on that kind of trajectory and I don't see any of that in the trifling situations described in this thread lol.

Last edited:
When rather than pay for his own phone line for dial-up internet (this was around 8 years ago before Wi-Fi n broadband were popular) he had his computer modem cord hanging outside his bedroom window and through his mother's bedroom window directly below and used her telephone line to get online. Both bedrooms were at the front of the house!! It looked like a hot hazardous ghetto mess..

Same dude... Had no bedroom door..for YEARS..During which time he 'entertained' several women there overnight...(yes, with his mother's bedroom directly below).

He used empty beer bottles with beer dregs inside as 'fire-proof' ashtrays..

He ran back to pick up dropped pennies from the pavement/sidewalk (this is a guy with an office job) whilst we were getting to know each other, saying " every mickle makes a muckle"...

He wore trousers with huge holes between the legs to work..

... He wore the same suit to work everyday for a month until colleagues were commenting on it..

He refused to ever tip more than a few pounds at any restaurant..

I'll try think of more

ETA the guy/s in question over 30 years old

Last edited:
I knew he was broke when....

He told me he worked at the Wendy's across the street and takes the bus to and from work. This was a 26 year old man that tried to holler at me at a Kroger store back when I was 19 years old. He also had the nerve to ask me to pick him up from the bus stop if we started dating so we could see each other. I was like, "hell naw!"

Last edited:

He insisted that we drive to a nice scenic spot to chat....in his car. Only along the way he "accidentally" tells me that this is his momma's car (he's allowed to borrow it as long as he chauffeurs her around town). A lovely car it was...replete with gigantic lintballs, overflowing ashtray and enough clutter to make a hoarder proud. He didn't want to pay for a meal or drinks either. After the car ride, I didn't complain because it was my reason to run, not walk, away.

He would only WANT to eat out if I was paying for business reasons (I evaluate restaurants for side money). Otherwise he would have some excuse as to why we couldn't eat out.

I love when people say this. She didn't chill with any broke RayShawn from around the way. The President was a Harvard Law Graduate who managed to become the first Black President of the Harvard Law review, meaning he was making history before he even graduated school. She and him met while working at one of the most prestigious law firms in Chicago, if not the country.

A man like that will only be temporarily low on funds. Its not a "you never know" situation, with a man like that you damn sure do know. **** I would be gladly posted up in that rusted out hooptie with him too, grinning with pride to top it off.

Also please note that as genuinely broke as the president was at the time, he still made it his business to set an entire day aside to woo her, take her to the Chicago Art Institute, a walk by the fountain, then finish with a Spike Lee movie to show her the different facets to his personality.

You can pretty much tell when a man is on that kind of trajectory and I don't see any of that in the trifling situations described in this thread lol.

I feel you on this, and I agree. But I bet the hole in the car would have been a dealbreaker for some women, even if the man was a Harvard grad lol. I can hear the conversation now...."Girl, I went out on a date with this fine man the other day. Brotha is a Harvard grad, and he works at a prestigious law firm. BUT LET ME TELL YOU! This broke ninja had a hole in the bottom of his car, and YOU KNOW my upper echelon self don't got time for that mess! On to the next!" :lol:

I feel you on this, and I agree. But I bet the hole in the car would have been a dealbreaker for some women, even if the man was a Harvard grad lol. I can hear the conversation now...."Girl, I went out on a date with this fine man the other day. Brotha is a Harvard grad, and he works at a prestigious law firm. BUT LET ME TELL YOU! This broke ninja had a hole in the bottom of his car, and YOU KNOW my upper echelon self don't got time for that mess! On to the next!" :lol:

there are stupid women in this world. Thats not news :lol: :lol:

When he asked if I wanted some McDonald's and took out the little booklet of vouchers they occasionally give out and asked if I had the money.

When he told me he was a writer :look:

I had just gotten an internship and mentioned how much I was making he was like "damn! I takes me 2 months to make that"

He always bragged about how much money he had. One day he told me he was at the mall shopping for a new outfit for our date... Came over and he still had the goodwill tag on his sleeve. $2.99

This guy who lived in my apartment complex asked me out (this was years ago). When it came time for the date, we meet at the previously discussed place and he says he is having car trouble and asks if I can drive. Ok ... fine. So we are headed out of the complex and he points to a PT Cruiser (this is close to when they first came out, so I guess he thought that would impress me) and said it was his car.

Anyway, we continue winding our way out of the complex when he says: Do you think $20 is enough for both of us to eat?

And ... that's where the story ends, lol. I put him out of the car and went to get my own dang food by myself. There was no point in my playing/paying for a date someone else asked me out on!

Regarding the bolded, I had a dude who I knew as a casual acquaintance stop and chat with me in the parking lot. We were standing near an Escalade and he was telling me it was his car. A few minutes later we were still chatting and a man came out of the building and got in the Escalade. The dude who claimed it was his car stood there with his mouth open probably trying to think of something to say. I looked at him and said, "Looks like somebody is about to drive off in your car. He's got the keys and everything." :lachen::lachen:

When I went to his condo and he told me his bathroom sink was broken and I could wash my hands in the bathtub...I continued to do this for a few weeks when I asked when it would be fixed. He says when he has some money. The part cost $20 to fix it :nono:

The kicker was when he invited me to Six Flags with his son. We walk up to the ticket window. He says "2 tickets please". I'm lookin like Whaaa? :perplexed And his son does the arithmetic and asks him what about her? He goes "oh we will buy her ticket next time." mind u he drove me there or I would have left. So I buy my own ticket. Then we walk and walk and walk. Finally I go "when are we going to get on a ride? " and he talmbout his 8 year old almost tall as me son is afraid of rides. Then he asks if I want something to eat or drink and I say yeah. So this ninja proceeds to buy a bag of popcorn and a large drink for all 3 of us to split. I was like I can't believe I paid 30 bucks to walk around starving in the hot a** sun all day! :swearing:
This was a grown man by the way. Oh yeah and he used to be one of my high school teachers many years before we were dating... :dighole:

cherrynicole said:
When I went to his condo and he told me his bathroom sink was broken and I could wash my hands in the bathtub...I continued to do this for a few weeks when I asked when it would be fixed. He says when he has some money. The part cost $20 to fix it :nono:

The kicker was when he invited me to Six Flags with his son. We walk up to the ticket window. He says "2 tickets please". I'm lookin like Whaaa? :perplexed And his son does the arithmetic and asks him what about her? He goes "oh we will buy her ticket next time." mind u he drove me there or I would have left. So I buy my own ticket. Then we walk and walk and walk. Finally I go "when are we going to get on a ride? " and he talmbout his 8 year old almost tall as me son is afraid of rides. Then he asks if I want something to eat or drink and I say yeah. So this ninja proceeds to buy a bag of popcorn and a large drink for all 3 of us to split. I was like I can't believe I paid 30 bucks to walk around starving in the hot a** sun all day! :swearing:
This was a grown man by the way. Oh yeah and he used to be one of my high school teachers many years before we were dating... :dighole:

Oh no, I would of been like wtf, I'm out bout to go out on a real date with someone who knows how to treat me, I'm not made for this ish, deuces lol

I think I posted this in the other thread. But here goes...

I knew he was broke when he had to pay for all of his drinks in quarters. Then couldn't afford to buy even one drink at the next spot we went to.

cherrynicole said:

This is why I use my car for the first 4-5 dates

Regarding the bolded, I had a dude who I knew as a casual acquaintance stop and chat with me in the parking lot. We were standing near an Escalade and he was telling me it was his car. A few minutes later we were still chatting and a man came out of the building and got in the Escalade. The dude who claimed it was his car stood there with his mouth open probably trying to think of something to say. I looked at him and said, "Looks like somebody is about to drive off in your car. He's got the keys and everything." :lachen::lachen:

With this line, you have given me life! I haven't laughed this hard in a minute. I can finish this daiquri and go to bed :rofl:

The drive in is for dealing(making out and other things)

...............I knew he was broke when he had the balls to ask me to pay for his $12 BDS
($6 USD) entry fee.

I was also driving us there.
Yes he had a job.
No I did not pay for his ticket or ever reply to any calls or txts from that moment on.

:yep:BECAUSE THANKS WAS NOT ENOUGH:yep:

Back