I knew He Was Broke when....

Ooh, let me think of some stories from my "work with a brotha" days...

He took me on a "romantic" evening bike ride through the city (I was new there). For dinner we had a picnic in the park where there was a free concert going on. No biggie.

The next day he invited me to join him at another park for lunch. I got there and he pulled out the same meat/cheese plate from the night before (what we didn't finish).

I met a guy while on vacation and he invited me to lunch. Once the check came I realized that he intended for us to go dutch. He told me he would have paid for the full meal, but he was broke until his next payday :rolleyes:. Naturally, I was extremely turned off but went to pay for my food anyway so I could bounce. The restaurant's payment system wouldn't take my card, so I had to go to the atm. This fool sat at the restaurant while I had to walk multiple blocks to find an atm. He was too broke or too selfish to just pay my half and let me give him the money back if he needed it that badly. I got back, paid, and didn't say anything to him-- just walked away and enjoyed the rest of my vacation with no broke man in my face.

College days-- this guy I occasionally messed around with bumped into me at a concert. He offered to buy me a drink. The next day he texted me asking if I could give him the money back for the drink because overspent that day and was in the negative.

#4 -- Not me but a former coworker
She had a guy take her out on a proper date, but then call her the next day asking if she could refund what he spent. Yet again, he used the "overspent and now broke" excuse.

So glad I grew up and moved on from broke men.

College days-- this guy I occasionally messed around with bumped into me at a concert. He offered to buy me a drink. The next day he texted me asking if I could give him the money back for the drink because overspent that day and was in the negative.

She had a guy take her out on a proper date, but then call her the next day asking if she could refund what he spent. Yet again, he used the "overspent and now broke" excuse.

I shook my head at #1, but then it got worse. It's bad enough that they want to go Dutch, but how could men call the next day asking for a refund? It's unimaginable. :nono: Your budget, your problem. Better work that OT.

It's a shame :nono:. I believe both of these guys expected physical intimacy and when they didn't get it, they wanted a refund. :lol:

I didn't want to ask, but that's what I felt as well, "she didn't 'free up' so they want their money back" Shocking to think that men would be so brazen to think that they're entitled to a refund. I'm sure that there was a grown-@ss man behind them, rationalizing this bulllsh*t.

In undergrad, I decided to date outside my normal preferences so I let this guy, who had being sweating me, take me to the movies. I wasn't hungry when we passed the concession. However, once we got to our seat, I decided I wanted something to ear. So I tell ol boy to go and get me some nachos with a Coke. This was his response and I kid you not,

"You want something to eat too??!!!":perplexed :lachen:

Being the prima donna that I am, I left him there. Back to my preferences.
Girl, thanks for that alert. I remember this thread. Lmao! classic thread from back in the day. @caribeandiva

I stopped reading halwaythouhbti would have eft his behind in the restaurant and walked my horse home

He took me on a "romantic" evening bike ride through the city (I was new there). For dinner we had a picnic in the park where there was a free concert going on. No biggie.

The next day he invited me to join him at another park for lunch. I got there and he pulled out the same meat/cheese plate from the night before (what we didn't finish).

I met a guy while on vacation and he invited me to lunch. Once the check came I realized that he intended for us to go dutch. He told me he would have paid for the full meal, but he was broke until his next payday :rolleyes:. Naturally, I was extremely turned off but went to pay for my food anyway so I could bounce. The restaurant's payment system wouldn't take my card, so I had to go to the atm. This fool sat at the restaurant while I had to walk multiple blocks to find an atm. He was too broke or too selfish to just pay my half and let me give him the money back if he needed it that badly. I got back, paid, and didn't say anything to him-- just walked away and enjoyed the rest of my vacation with no broke man in my face.

So glad I grew up and moved on from broke men.

A guy I once dated took me to a video arcade. The nerve. When I complained to my mom she said That is what I get for thinking I was a grown woman lol.

he was 19 and I was 14. Dude dumped me after he realized i was mature except when it came to penises lol.

Someone else's story

When he said movies were out of his budget (after a 50 dollar dinner at a cheap local Asian spot and telling her he was taking her for dinner and movie), then said oh wait my phone came with a free movie pass. He uses an app to order the 2 movie tix, then hands her his phone to pay the 13 difference (extra ticket plus tax). She declines and ends the date.

:drunk: Hes 34, professional black guy, no kids. o_O

Someone else's story

When he said movies were out of his budget (after a 50 dollar dinner at a cheap local Asian spot and telling her he was taking her for dinner and movie), then said oh wait my phone came with a free movie pass. He uses an app to order the 2 movie tix, then hands her his phone to pay the 13 difference (extra ticket plus tax). She declines and ends the date.

:drunk: Hes 34, professional black guy, no kids. o_O
Some woman must have spoiled him. Because who does stuff like that?! I don’t go dutch and I don’t pay for mine. It’s either you’re paying for everything or I’m getting the hell on.

Last edited:
Well done. Nothing else to say to his rude arse!

Back