I knew He Was Broke when....

Didn't have a car (was in a car accident and was too cheap to get a rental).

First date - I pick him up and bring him to Applebees. I found out that I had left my debit card at home. He says "Well, I guess we won't be going out to eat then." I drove him home with the quickness.

Of course I stopped talking to him but months later, dude calls me out of the blue and bluntly asks me for $100. Of course he ain't gettin nothing out of me.

All I am going to say is that I am happy that I am Christian, because if I wasn't, I would have gone straight Hollygrove on him! I never met someone that was soooo broke and soooo cheap. (And so gay... yep I think he a ghey).

Last edited:
I had one try that with me. It was supposed to be an 'I'm sorry' dinner at Charleston's. He texted me 20 min ahead talmbout let's go to IHOP or get a pizza. O_o

I was in my senior year of college and I had to tell this guy that I dated, I was not into chilling all the time, sitting on the couch and all that, and that if he was serious about pursuing me he needed to get with it! IHOP was his response. I'm like boy please...

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I knew he was broke when he sent me a text saying he was selling foodstamps and asked if I wanted to buy some. Thankfully this was before I went on any dates with him.

I knew he was broke when the server came to our table and asked if the check would be together or separate and he replied..."uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" we can do it together I guess...:perplexed I only ordered 1 beer, and it was pint night so it was $2.50. You really had to think about that? The server was embarrassed for me.

When I told him that I got a gift card for Whole Foods and that I was about to use it and he told me to wait to use it when he came down to visit. I don't know if thats broke or selfish. Maybe a mix of both.

When he told me he wanted to come over and cook the food in my freezer. NOT COOK FOR ME. But cook and eat MY food for himself. Silly Ninja.

Well, we were all broke students...but

I knew he was uber broke when he couldn't return the cab ride back to the dorms, didn't want to pay for the bus and suggested we walk in sub-zero, snowy blizzard conditions. I walked back with what would become my boyfriend.:lachen: I love telling that story.

I knew he was broke when he claimed to share the house with his mother. "I live on the second floor, she lives downstairs"

Kneegrow, you live at your momma's (one family) house. Your bedroom is upstairs. Stop it.

Truth .... We used to eat chicken feet when we were kids. They used to be good. We would suck the meat off the bones. Our grandmother would cook them. The other foot is unusual as well!!

.....he went home to Togo for a month and called me here in the states asking me to western union $200.00. When he came back he asked me for $100.00 till his next pay check.

Last edited:
...when he asked me out to the movies, then complained that he did not have money to pay for the both of us.

My reply "Well I guess we won't be going out then"

Ain't nobody got time fa dat!

As funny as this thread is, it does make me think at least some of the dudes are living within their means and not tryna floss. I give the young ones the benefit of the doubt cause I remember being a broke student and facing some of these cost decisions. The guys in their 30s and 40s , I just smh at

When my Christmas gifts consisted of stolen, yet fake LV purses. I knew they were fake and didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I figured out he was stealing them after I played detective and searched his name in our county's court website. Smh

Ladies, always google and search a man you're dating. Recently I figured out another dude's real name wasn't what he told me it was because nothing came up in google. Turned out he is married and didn't want me to be able to find his wife.

Back