Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

Not a great vacation spot -- Detroit but I have a lot of my friends are going and we are going to a church conference. Best part will be the fellowship :)

Today's pics...I think accessories will be a big help for me in this challenge. Have to get some more!

image-3551568255.jpg

image-2284232393.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having commitment issues which is why I didn't host the challenge this quarter :lol: I keep saying in my mind I want to get kinky twists installed in June. But I might not :look: But I might :look: But I might not :perplexed:

I can't commit :lol:

:lachen: I feel you. As you can see from my different posts, I have commitment issues too when it comes to hair challenges. I'm a hair schizophrenic! :skitzo:

I think if I just focus on looking at pictures and videos of natural hair in two strand twists, I will be able to stick with this style. :)

:lachen: I feel you. As you can see from my different posts, I have commitment issues too when it comes to hair challenges. I'm a hair schizophrenic! :skitzo:

I think if I just focus on looking at pictures and videos of natural hair in two strand twists, I will be able to stick with this style. :)

I think if all of my twists were long enough to be pulled back into a bun, I would have fewer commitment issues. Week after week, having to work with the twists in the front to make them look like something is aggravating. I think 2" all over would make my life much easier. I have no problem leaving my hair alone, I just hate the crazy way the front of my hair looks.

I think if all of my twists were long enough to be pulled back into a bun, I would have fewer commitment issues. Week after week, having to work with the twists in the front to make them look like something is aggravating. I think 2" all over would make my life much easier. I have no problem leaving my hair alone, I just hate the crazy way the front of my hair looks.

I remember when my hair was shorter, the front area would give my hair the most trouble too as far as how I wanted it to look. Even with more length, it can be a pain, so putting the twists into a bun does help deal with that... but then I would want my twisted bun to look a certain way too! :grin:

Is your hair long enough to put your twists in a butterfly clip where you can leave some twists out in the front for a side bang?

[USER=3145 said:
Poohbear[/USER];15745977]I remember when my hair was shorter, the front area would give my hair the most trouble too as far as how I wanted it to look. Even with more length, it can be a pain, so putting the twists into a bun does help deal with that... but then I would want my twisted bun to look a certain way too! :grin:

Is your hair long enough to put your twists in a butterfly clip where you can leave some twists out in the front for a side bang?

It is long enough to put into a banana clip. It is only the front 2" of my hair that is too short. I tried the side bang, front bang, bang bang :nono: I was just looking like why? I think I may have figured out something I can leave with. It still looks a bit kiddie but I may be able to tolerate it for 60 days.

NappyNelle, Can I be in for April and May only?

:ohwell::nono::lol::yep::lol: LOL Yes, you can.

NappyNelle - You're welcome! Now you see why I like doing twistouts. This style gives my hair more volume which I love! :yep:

And thanks for suggesting the wrap "doobie" method with twists. I tried this last night before going to bed using hair pins, and when I unwrapped my twists this morning, my twists had more length and fell into place better on each side of my head.

Poohbear Yessss! I love the volume of out hair! It makes me feel divalicious. Everyone thinks I have thick hair when I wear it out; little do they know that ain't nothing but AIR. :lol:

picture.php

jprayze Have fun in Detroit with the church! That sounds like fun to me. Anytime you can take away with friends = Vacay.

Been doing pretty good with keeping my hair bunned monday thru friday. I want to get some hair sticks though because I want to try and bun my hair without the use of a band or clip or anything that can potentially break my hair in the nape area. Now that my hair is longer, I feel that this is much easier. I've actually been bunning my hair only using bobby pins lately until I can get to the store for the sticks. We will see. It does take some work to make it neat so some mornings are just not the time.

[USER=246186 said:
TruMe[/USER];15746535]Been doing pretty good with keeping my hair bunned monday thru friday. I want to get some hair sticks though because I want to try and bun my hair without the use of a band or clip or anything that can potentially break my hair in the nape area. Now that my hair is longer, I feel that this is much easier. I've actually been bunning my hair only using bobby pins lately until I can get to the store for the sticks. We will see. It does take some work to make it neat so some mornings are just not the time.

If you haven't tried the mini spin pins, you may want to give them a try. I'm only SL, and I am able to get my bun to stay with them. Well I actually do more of a french roll. But if you can do it with a hair stick you can do it with a mini spin pin. You get 3 in a pack and that's all you need.

What is your style (twists, braids, bunning)?
2 strand twists or flat twists

What is your style maintenance regimen?

HOT with coffee castor oil
Wash biweekly with mudwash/Alternate with cowash
tea rinse with herbal tea
DC under heat cap for min. 30 minutes
Apply leave-in, sit under heat cap for 30 minutes
twist with AVJ/glycerin
Sometimes twist with a gel

Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Retain my growth and get close to APL

After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
DSCN0220 (628x640).jpg

DSCN0216 (640x590).jpg

DSCN0159 (640x354).jpg

I am going to try to wear the same style through out the challenge to keep my regi simple. And hopefully my little bunny tail in the back will be bigger by the end of the challenge and I am able to get all of my twists back into a bun.

Right now the front section is separated and pinned back. Even if I'm not APL but can pull all my twist back I would feel like I have achieved a major goal.

Last edited:
I used HH Mango Tango Cloud on my ends. It smells delicious! :lick: I hope my ends like it as much as they've been liking castor oil. If not, I'll use the MTC mainly on my length. Win-Win.

I also have switched from bobby pins to Good Day hair pins and french twist combs. I'm finding zero broken strands now, unlike when I used bobby pins exclusively.

Good Day Hair Pins:

40101-new%20pack.JPG

French Twist Combs:

7114_Shell_small.JPG

gonna hop in the shower and give my twists another rinse/condition

these weeks have been going by pretty quickly.

twists coming out tomorrow night, will probably pull my hair back in some fashion for friday...will do a bentonite clay treatment on friday night plus my usual weekend dc and all that mess.

i think i will actually keep my style simple and quick this upcoming week.

Been doing pretty good with keeping my hair bunned monday thru friday. I want to get some hair sticks though because I want to try and bun my hair without the use of a band or clip or anything that can potentially break my hair in the nape area. Now that my hair is longer, I feel that this is much easier. I've actually been bunning my hair only using bobby pins lately until I can get to the store for the sticks. We will see. It does take some work to make it neat so some mornings are just not the time.

You can find really different, fun and economical hair sticks on Etsy.:yep:

I have a date today and I have no idea how I'll style my hair. Perhaps I'll do a french roll kind of thing with the french twist comb.

I'd really like some more hair accessories. Pretty clips, pins, headbands, barrettes... hm... I should look on Etsy.

Hey there! I saw I could join at any time so I'm doing just that!

Just put twists in and I plan to wear them throughout the summer! Getting back to what I know :yep:

# What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists

# What is your style maintenance regimen? I will wash/rinse as needed with diluted shampoo, taking care not to unravel too many twists lol, and deep condition with ao gpb and using coconut oil for sealing and conditioning. I plan to seal ends with castor oil as well.

# Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
# What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?growth and improved condition of my ends
# After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? hmm...after two days probably
# Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
7100287755_e3fbd588c6_z.jpg

-PYT VERY nice! :yep:

For the life of me, I could not get a full pick of my updo with the french twist comb. Here's kind of half-photo:

ETA: I just added some castor oil to the ends of my twists. Gotta retain the ends without the knots I usually have by now. :lol:

Attachments

• DSC02446.jpg
    DSC02446.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 51
NappyNelle Cute! Hey, when you put castor oil on your ends, do you just take a bunch of twists and smooth some oil on the ends like that?

How did your date go? :)

-PYT Very well! We always seem to have a good time together. :grin: (You should see how hard I am blushing lol)

Usually, I sleep with my twists in six loose bantu knots, so I spread castor oil on the ends of those sections, twist the ends under, and pin it for the night. I used to just halve my hair and spread oil around, but this way is more deliberate and beneficial for me.

I've been DCing since 5 and will DC overnight. Have my hair in 5 flat twists. I will rinse some time tomorrow and retwist my hair in small twists.

I'm in.
1. Cornrows without extensions that i get in my salon every two weeks.
2. I seal daily with a natural oil mix and shea butter at the ends. Moisturize every other day with Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in.
3. Relaxed.
4. Retention.
5. One day.(hopefully)

I'm in.
2. I seal daily with a natural oil mix and shea butter at the ends. Moisturize every other day with Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in.
3. Relaxed.
4. Retention.
5. One day.(hopefully)

Welcome longinghair. I had thought about getting cornrows every two weeks. Um, but I keep procrastinating on making my appointment :lol:

Ahhh.... I miss the "bending, and shape-holding" properties of my hair... but I'm bunning easy peezy everyday....

All y'all and your hair look fab.... Just stopping in to say hello.... :)

Continuing my reggie of washing, reconstructing, DC'ing, and bunning weekly.

Swagga jackin' NappyNelle and sealed ends with castor oil and tried out the bantu knots...guess I'll see how this works in the morning!

View attachment 146467

Your parting is sooo perfect!! I do not have the patience (read: SKILL :lol:) to part my twists like that in the back. How long did this set take to install?

I'm happy you liked the outcome of the knots. I need the wave and body so my head and face look normal! :lol:

I'm in.
3. Relaxed.
4. Retention.
5. One day.(hopefully)

Welcome longinghair! :party: I'm an oil lover, so what is in your oil mix? *nosey* I've been cutting down on oil hoarding, so I have to live vicariously through others.

2 flat twists in. Ill probably do this style for a few weeks just because I'm feeling lazy. I don't mean leave it in for a few weeks, I mean keep doing it over the next few weeks haha because it's quick and easy.

Still bunning away and sealing twice daily. It was raining all day so I'm happy my hairs been in a bun

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back