Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

taking down my braids now so that I won't have as much to take out tomorrow night. I must say that I DREAD washing and deep conditioning my hair w/o braids

Moisturized and oiled the rope braids last night and put them back in the bun today. I sure did get mileage out of seven braids. I'll moisturize again tonight and take them down tomorrow morning. I feel a big, fluffy bun coming on.

NappyNelle You better get well!! lol.... Your pumpkin looks so sweet (even though I can't handle cats)

I just prepoo'd my hair with a mixture of coconut, olive and sunflower oils... Tomorrow is wash day.. :)

Okay so.. I think my hair is still technically too short for buns even though I can get it into a bun.

I'll explain.

My hair is definitely long enough to get into a slicked back bun - in the back. My sides "reach" but it's a struggle. I think trying to get my sides into the bun, using my denman and gel, is too much manipulation on my wet hair. I'm noticing more breakage. So I'll have to revisit my method. I cowash each morning and do a wet bun at the moment. But I'm not in the mood for a setback lol. *thinking*

Wearing my hair out today so it is easier to get ready to wash tonight. Hopefully I can get it washed and twisted back up tonight and have the rest of my weekend free.

kinkycurlygurl I tried the rope braid bun thing and it turned out okay. I should have practiced before trying to make it okay for work. Will keep until wash day. It did take me awhile to figure it out and make it presentable.

Attachments

• rope.JPG
    rope.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 54
  • rope2.JPG
    rope2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 48
Hey y'all! Haven't checked-in in a while cause I've basically just been wet binning my mini twists. Enjoying this break from my hair immensely!

image-1813344784.jpg

-PYT said:
ParagonTresses ummm...I'm gonna need a picture of the back of your bun...for my own selfish desires :look:

Too funny!! I'm currently sitting under the dryer for a flexirod set on my minitwists. The next time I do a bun though I'll be sure to snap some "back pics" for ya!

So...did a Lil trim and refreshed some of these twists...took damn near 4 hours -_- won't be doing this for another 8 weeks -_-

Sorry for the mini-hiatus guys, my mom had a medical emergency about two weeks ago! Anyhow, I just recently took the mini-twists down. Remind me to never do mini twists again, but just regular-sized. OMO the horror, tangles and it's so easy to think I've taken all the twists out since my hair is kinky (and my sight isn't exactly the best) only to find still have a handful left! :lol: Should I still show a pic of what the twists looked like when they were finished? I'll be washing my hair today thoroughly in sections and will decide how I'll restyle my hair from there! Hope all's been well with you ladies!

Sorry for the mini-hiatus guys, my mom had a medical emergency about two weeks ago! Anyhow, I just recently took the mini-twists down. Remind me to never do mini twists again, but just regular-sized. OMO the horror, tangles and it's so easy to think I've taken all the twists out since my hair is kinky (and my sight isn't exactly the best) only to find still have a handful left! :lol: Should I still show a pic of what the twists looked like when they were finished? I'll be washing my hair today thoroughly in sections and will decide how I'll restyle my hair from there! Hope all's been well with you ladies!

Hope all is well with your mom.

I've done the same with the twists and ended up washing with them in. But I've done it so often I have nearly mastered taking them out mid-wash/condition.

MaraWithLove Oh no! I hope mom is doing well.

I am dreading the take down process of my twists since it has been a month... but I'll be happy to let them go and play in my hair a bit. I'm way overdue for shampoo, deeeeeep conditioner and a steaming session.

MaraWithLove said:

Hope mama is doing better! Yes, taking down mini twists can be difficult but I've learned that (a) not "borrowing hair" when you're installing them (b) keeping your hair thoroughly moisturized during the entire time they are installed and (c) dampening (not soaking wet) the section you are working with and adding an oil to the twist you're removing has saved me from reaching for the scissors many a day, lol!

I got this urge to spray my hair with something...what are you ladies using on twists as a spritzer of sorts? :)

@kinkycurlygurl I tried the rope braid bun thing and it turned out okay. I should have practiced before trying to make it okay for work. Will keep until wash day. It did take me awhile to figure it out and make it presentable.

lomaxee It looks pretty good:yep:. It took me a couple of tries before I got it to the point where wore it to work. What Daven, the hair stylist in the video, does that makes a difference is that first, he doesn't make hard parts with a comb and second, he starts twisting the rope braids pretty low and loose. I really like hairstyles that I don't have to spend hours creating then hours taking down. I'm going to play with styling big, chunky braids and twists of all kinds this summer. Good luck with the style.

put new twists in tonight. i like the way they look...for a change.

too bad i cant share pictures. dunno where my camera is...and my phone isnt working. ah well.

Okay so.. I think my hair is still technically too short for buns even though I can get it into a bun.

I'll explain.

My hair is definitely long enough to get into a slicked back bun - in the back. My sides "reach" but it's a struggle. I think trying to get my sides into the bun, using my denman and gel, is too much manipulation on my wet hair. I'm noticing more breakage. So I'll have to revisit my method. I cowash each morning and do a wet bun at the moment. But I'm not in the mood for a setback lol. *thinking*

tapioca_pudding Maybe you could do a double bun or a french roll? If you do a pair of buns close together you can fluff the ends and make them look like one structure.

I decided to put in "box" braids tonight instead of twist. Not sure why. But it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. It took longer than the twists because I don't do it as often. But these braids look so much better than my twist. They look so neat. But I can't bun my braids :owhell: because they are too short.

I'm going to dust my ends tonight because they are really raggedy.

I got this urge to spray my hair with something...what are you ladies using on twists as a spritzer of sorts? :)

-PYT I use Oyin's Juices & Berries or Frank Juice; When I run out of those, I'll be making a hair tea based on the information in the Coffee & Tea Rinse thread.

ETA: Oh, I've also used Carol's Daughter Tui Spritz. It was a gift that smelled really good, so I used it. I wouldn't really recommend it, though. :look:

-PYT LOL Nooooo I haven't! (How did you know?! :lol:) I ended up running errands with my mom and then my SO came over. I wasn't feeling very well, so he gave me a scalp massage and put me to sleep. lol My twists are still in. :spinning: *sigh*

Yaaaaaaaaaayyy!!! I finnaly can make a bun, well actually two buns:
Hairstyle for the week:
0429122006a.jpg

0429122005.jpg

washed and blown
0428122248.jpg

Cornrowed my hair for the week... Plan is to wear a half wig, and redo this once a week for as long as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.JPG
    IMG_1745.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 33
Back