Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

2 weeks on my twists! Getting ready to start the take down on Thursday. Not sure what style to do next.

Last edited:
This was wash day so put 4 flat twists on each side in the fr ont and the back in a small bun. But before bed I took the bun and put in small twists. During the week I will just pull all the ends of the twists into a bun and hide it away until next wash day.

I'm still bantu-knotting my twists and they are holding up very well. I've been babying my ends and edges with castor oil. :D

Ok I had my 3day restyle and then Sunday I wore what would be called a French twist I guess. Today I will be wearing a single braid I got my mom to do. So here's pics of restyle period (one day I did flexirods on straightened hair) and my French twist bun style for Sunday...can't see it that well because of my fascinator :-). I did leave a little hair out but at least it was pulled up from where it rubs. I'll post a pic of the braid later.

Attachments

• image-3208328222.jpg
    image-3208328222.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image-3263799145.jpg
    image-3263799145.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image-308245715.jpg
    image-308245715.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
  • image-1782816822.jpg
    image-1782816822.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
Poohbear Oh, ok. Have you tried the wrap method? You pin your twists around your head like a 'doobie' and shake it down in the morning?

Another thing I did with bigger twists was pin the front center sections flat against my head and ponytail tuck the back, so if the back twists looked funky, I could cover part of my face with my bang hair. I'm not sure if it will make your face seem smaller, but I ALWAYS wear a band with my twists, JUST in case the back is doing something weird and I have to pin it up. :lol:

NappyNelle - No, I haven't tried the wrap method. But I am thinking about giving up on the medium/big twists for right now and just take the time to do smaller twists if I want to keep this style in longer and be able to leave my hair alone. I actually like the look of smaller twists, I just hate the time it takes to do them. But I guess it isn't that bad if I plan on retwisting once a month.

Right now my hair is in a twistout, so whenever I get over this "wanting-to-wear-my-hair-out" phase, I'm gonna twist my hair in smaller twists.

I see that you also have fine textured hair and your small twists look great on you, plus your head is smaller than mine. :grin: Headbands don't look right on me because of my big head.

The other thing that I wonder about with doing smaller twists is if it's too much friction/manipulation for my hair strands while I'm twisting my hair. I want to avoid splits and I want to retain length. Do you think so or should my hair be fine?

@NappyNelle - No, I haven't tried the wrap method. But I am thinking about giving up on the medium/big twists for right now and just take the time to do smaller twists if I want to keep this style in longer and be able to leave my hair alone. I actually like the look of smaller twists, I just hate the time it takes to do them. But I guess it isn't that bad if I plan on retwisting once a month.

Right now my hair is in a twistout, so whenever I get over this "wanting-to-wear-my-hair-out" phase, I'm gonna twist my hair in smaller twists.

I see that you also have fine textured hair and your small twists look great on you, plus your head is smaller than mine. :grin: Headbands don't look right on me because of my big head.

The other thing that I wonder about with doing smaller twists is if it's too much friction/manipulation for my hair strands while I'm twisting my hair. I want to avoid splits and I want to retain length. Do you think so or should my hair be fine?

Poohbear, Why not do your twist the size you currently do them, and then split them in half. Then you don't have to do them so small, but they will be smaller than what they are now. They should look better and last longer. But at the same time you can get your hair up, and then make each section smaller as you find the time.

As far as manipulation with small twists, I don't find it to be any more manipulation. My ends actually do better with smaller twists than larger ones. My ends are typically smoother and when I M&S, it seems to seal better. As far as breakage and SSKs, I don't really find a big difference. Touching my hair in large sections or small sections is about the same. My hair don't like to be touched :look:

Poohbear I don't find that smaller twists lead to increased manipulation and splits. I find it easier for me to baby my ends when I moisturize and seal. It's as if I'm reaching more strands than I would if I had larger twists in my head.

It also helps that I leave them in for a while (3+ weeks) like you do; I don't like the amount of time it takes to install them, but I do like the outcome and low day-to-day maintenance. :yep:

Oh yeah, Poohbear, you still look like a teenager. You have not aged one day since I started following your fotki many, many, many moons ago. lol

jprayze You are so cute!!

Last edited:
Thanks to all u ladies...ur pics and ideas are encouraging me to protective style on a regular basis! This challenge is helping me with all my other challenges!!!

Working on week two with my mini twists and bun. I want to push to three weeks because I have a couple events at the end of the month to go to and I want to wear my hair out.

Just spritzing with water and sealing with coconut oil and bunning.

Got a new hair toy: a single hairstick made of deer antler, resin and wood. I bought it from Two Rivers Trading Co. on Etsy. I'll be rocking that in my updo tomorrow:

il_570xN.321415508.jpg

Okay ladies. I retwisted my hair last night and I'm really liking these twists. I should have taken a picture of my twists before I put perm rods on the ends last night so you could see the length, but I still like how my hair turned out:

IMAG0607-vi.jpg

IMAG0604-vi.jpg

IMAG0603-vi.jpg

Here was the twistout I wore yesterday:
IMAG0595-vi.jpg

Okay ladies. I retwisted my hair last night and I'm really liking these twists. I should have taken a picture of my twists before I put perm rods on the ends last night so you could see the length, but I still like how my hair turned out:

Very nice and the curls look nice too. So you made these smaller?

Very nice and the curls look nice too. So you made these smaller?

Thanks faithVA. And yep, I made the twists smaller. The timing wasn't that bad, about 1.5 to 2 hours. I decided to make parts in the front and sides with my rat tail comb. I usually just do the "grab-and-twist" method but if I want to feel more comfortable wearing these twists, I need the front and sides to be neater. :)

Thanks all for the compliments. Now ready for a weekend of take down and restyle! I think I am going to do a twist out and wear it down for 2 days, then bun the rest of the week.

Bunning today and tomorrow and then I will start my week long break on Thursday...going on a little vacay. :)

Fluffy twistout yesterday:

IMAG0595-vi.jpg

IMAG0596-vi.jpg

whit923 - thank you, and nice bun too. To answer your question, no my hair was not blown out before twisting. It was done on previously stretched out hair. If my hair was blown out, the twistout would have had more length.

TaraDyan - I applied a very small amount of Mane N Tail Conditioner to sections of my hair. I put my hair into 6 fat/chunky twists and then rolled the twists around gray flexirods.

Poohbear Thanks for sharing these pictures and your method! Your latest twists and the twistout posted above are very nice. :lick: I also part in the front and sides, but grab-n-go everywhere else. :yep:

jprayze Where you going without meeeee? :sad: No, I hope you have a wonderful time on vacation!

vacation-2.jpg

Today I wore a fully twisted updo and it was cute. Too bad the curls in my bang fell/drooped in the abnormally warm and humid weather.

Last edited:
Poohbear Thanks for sharing these pictures and your method! Your latest twists and the twistout posted above are very nice. :lick: I also part in the front and sides, but grab-n-go everywhere else. :yep:

Today I wore a fully twisted updo and it was cute. Too bad the curls in my bang fell/drooped in the abnormally warm and humid weather.
NappyNelle - You're welcome! Now you see why I like doing twistouts. This style gives my hair more volume which I love! :yep:

And thanks for suggesting the wrap "doobie" method with twists. I tried this last night before going to bed using hair pins, and when I unwrapped my twists this morning, my twists had more length and fell into place better on each side of my head.

[USER=3145 said:
Poohbear[/USER];15745027]@faithVA - :lol: Why not June???

I'm having commitment issues which is why I didn't host the challenge this quarter :lol: I keep saying in my mind I want to get kinky twists installed in June. But I might not :look: But I might :look: But I might not :perplexed:

I can't commit :lol:

cowashed and trimmed yesterday. got my hair in a bun. going to cowash and deep condition and bun friday. or saturday. really trying to figure out how to keep my new growth moisturized.

Back