Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (4/1/2012 - 6/30/2012)

kinkycurlygurl Lovely! Your hair ornament is pretty, too.

MaraWithLove I understand. It took me a while before I found the right product combo for my twists.

judy4all UM... I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU TO JOIN... but since you relaxed you've been too cool to hang out with the rest of us in challenge threads! :cry2: LOL But I'm going to add your name anyway. :wacky: Feel free to post, provide tips, show us your buns, and everything else. We would love to have you for this round, even if it is 'unofficial'. :D

@kinkycurlygurl Lovely! Your hair ornament is pretty, too.

@MaraWithLove I understand. It took me a while before I found the right product combo for my twists.

@judy4all UM... I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU TO JOIN... but since you relaxed you've been too cool to hang out with the rest of us in challenge threads! :cry2: LOL But I'm going to add your name anyway. :wacky: Feel free to post, provide tips, show us your buns, and everything else. We would love to have you for this round, even if it is 'unofficial'. :D

lol @ too good to join... Girl I didn't think I was good enof.. throwing in the towel and all.... I bun, or braid daily... have no plans in the next yr or 2 to get extensions... lol... I think I qualify to hang here.... lol.... I'll fill in my info....

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Bunning
What is your style maintenance regimen? Moisturize and seal nightly... scarf down, re-bun in the morning.
Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed
What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Retain length... I don't like hair touching my body... Guess being natural does that to you... lol... So I also bun to keep it off my back..
After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? Never worn my relaxed hair out... bun daily.. but I'll avoid wearing it out for this challenge.
Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). Attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpg
    IMG_1713.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 22
Okay I'm gonna try this again. I was in the last challenge but then I got yarn braids so I got the boot...

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? spray with water, moisturize, seal ~ every 2 days
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? retention!
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Last edited:
Day 21: Degas Ballerina Bun

7069036815_ee346ca591_m.jpg

I never go for a sleek bun. I always have a loose textured situation going. I remember looking at a longhairdontcare video and she said that she didn't use anything to stick down the hair at her hairline because they weren't broken and the were pulled back into her bun.

I have some broken/shorter hairs near my hairline, but I don't think they spoil my hair styles. I leave them alone and eventually they catch up with the rest of my hair.

Last edited:
Just a midweek check in...I've been setting my mini twists on large flexi rods at night for a loose curl...haven't needed to apply more product, just spritzing twice daily with water...

Does anyone have any tips on twisting hair that likes to be 'loose?' The back of my head is where my chunk of 3b/c curl is and twists do not like to stay put back there no matter how tight or small I twist. Should I just do single braids instead?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Does anyone have any tips on twisting hair that likes to be 'loose?' The back of my head is where my chunk of 3b/c curl is and twists do not like to stay put back there no matter how tight or small I twist. Should I just do single braids instead?

Single braids will work. But you can also do small flat twists and because they are smaller they often still look like twists.

NappyNelle lol thank you :-) Sometimes I blow dry before styling but if I do the twists thick like the ones in my first pic, I don't blow dry. I just use Giovanni Direct Leave-In and seal with grapeseed oil or mango butter. (I think I used grapeseed oil in this case.) Grapeseed is my fave bc it's thick and gives my hair some shine without making it greasy-feeling like olive oil does.

I just sealed the ends of my twists and massaged my hairline with castor oil. I want a thick and full hairline like the rest of you ladies. :yep:

MaraWithLove My Mom's hair is like yours, she wears twists and over time her twists unravel themselves. My only tips for you are to make sure you twist all the way to the very end of your hair. Then do like my Mom does: a) re-twist the individuals that won't play ball and stay twisted, and b) if you're going to re-twist in the next few days anyway ignore the ones that unravel.

So yesterday I went out and bought a 16 fl oz of cantu shea butter, the creme of nature with argan oil Intensive conditioning treatment, and 2 large satin scarves.

So last night I cut up one of the satin scarves into strips and put the cantu in. So now I have 10 satin braids in my head. I'm planning on taking them out Friday night or Saturaday morning (pending on what i am doing over the weekend)

The reason I went out and bought these things are because my hair hasn't really held in moisture since I cut the relax ends. So I am hoping that this works/help

Braids coming out tonight..braidout tomorrow for work...wash tomorrow night...restyle on Saturday...gonna be simple and do 2 flat twists in the shower.

Last edited:
Hay all, I used SM curling souffle to do my twists and I love it ... my hair is soft, not knotty ends and it seems like I will also get a nice defined twistout when Im dont with these twists

Attachments

• DSC02531.JPG
    DSC02531.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
  2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
  3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
  4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
  5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
  6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

I just washed my natural hair on Monday April 9th, wore a twistout Tuesday morning and styled my hair in two strand twists that evening after work. I would like to join this three month growth challenge. I keep falling away from keeping my hair in twists when I really need to stick to it if I want to reach my hair length goals of MBL and WL.

*My primary style will be two strand twists.

*My style maintenance regimen will be as follows: Shampoo, condition, and detangle once every 2-4 weeks. Before shampooing, I will take down my twists and apply conditioner to my hair and put my hair into braided or twisted sections. I will keep my hair in these sections until it is time to style my hair. After washing and conditioning, I will wrap my hair with my turbie twist towel to soak up excess water. Then I will unravel each section at a time, apply product, detangle, and twist my hair. During the week, I will either wear my twists down, in a protective updo, in a bun, or in a butterfly clip.

Products I'll be using: Prepoo with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, Shampoo with Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo, Deep Condition with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol (this is almost gone so I will be using a new conditioner soon), style my hair with either Mane N Tail Conditioner or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Hair Milk (trying to use up these sample sizes of Shea Moisture).

*I have natural 4A/B tightly coiled hair.

*I'm not sure what to expect at 6/30/2012, but overall, I hope to achieve mid-back length hair by the end of 2012 and waist length hair by the end of 2013.

*If I wear my hair out (which will most likely be a twistout), I will restyle my hair into two strand twists after 1-2 days.

*My starting length picture (this pic was taken back in Nov 2011 but my hair is pretty much the same length now):
1ysi6e.jpg

Here are current pictures of my hair in medium sized twists. They do not look right when worn down so I've decided to wear them pulled back. My twists were in the protective updo style from Tuesday evening until Wednesday. Then that Wednesday morning, I decided to put my twists into a high bun. I really wasn't feelin' that protective updo style:
2nhzvww.jpg
o524og.jpg

34i4rhk.jpg

Hi ladies!! I wanted to show you the first bun I've been able to do ever!!

image-3706178018.jpg

For those who bun, how long can I keep a bun like this (ponytail and then bobby pinned) this is my second straight day wearing it and I don't feel any tension as I made sure not to tie the scrunchie too tight to make the ponytail. What I'm worried the most about is my ends and the bobby pins. I moisturizer the hair leading up to the bun but will moisturizer the actual bun tomorrow or tonight so as to not over manipulate my hair. I'm trying to keep this as a protective style and train myself to keep my hands out of my freshly permed hair...

Someone please let me know :)

Last edited:
Hi ladies!! I wanted to show you the first bun I've been able to do ever!!

For those who bun, how long can I keep a bun like this (ponytail and then bobby pinned) this is my second straight day wearing it and I don't feel any tension as I made sure not to tie the scrunchie too tight to make the ponytail. What I'm worried the most about is my ends and the bobby pins. I moisturizer the hair leading up to the bun but will moisturizer the actual bun tomorrow or tonight so as to not over manipulate my hair. I'm trying to keep this as a protective style and train myself to keep my hands out of my freshly permed hair...

Someone please let me know :)

My hair gets kind of frizzy after two days and it ends up being not as smooth looking. I usually take mine down every evening, moisturize, seal, apply product to lay down and smooth, scarf, then bun the next morning.

My hair gets kind of frizzy after two days and it ends up being not as smooth looking. I usually take mine down every evening, moisturize, seal, apply product to lay down and smooth, scarf, then bun the next morning.

this is also what i do

Welcome Poohbear! :woot:

EasypeaZee That bun is beautiful! Congratulations on it girl.

MaraWithLove The hair at my nape loooves to unravel, so I braid the base of those twists and retwist them about every week. If they are loose, I pretty much leave them because the rest of my hair covers it. I make sure to check for knots though.

Protective styling day 22: Curly ponytail

This one's a little bit of a cheat because my ends are not tucked, but the hair is not rubbing against my clothes.

Last night I had to re-style my hair. I hope this wasn't cheatin lol! I skipped my wash day dis past Saturday cuz I moved and was tired plus I wasn't working out so I figured I could stretch my bun to 2 weeks..Well silly me, cuz my hair was a dry mess sooo here's what I did.

Did a HOT with Lisa's Elixer and co-washed with Loreal Vive Pro Hydro Gloss Conditioner. I used Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave-in and blow-dried on low heat. I usually air dry, but I had to go to work today so I had to speed of the process to get some sleep. I have to give a rave review I used the Chi Deep Brilliance Low Emf Hair Dryer and I'm in love :love4:.

My hair is finally growin out in the middle of my head which was/is my trouble spot and it's so thick in the middle that it makes my buns look weird cuz its so thick. Well I used this dryer with the comb attachment drying small sections at a time and let me just say it definitely smoothed and took all the bulk out of that section and I have a nice big, full, and super thick bun today. I moisturized with Qhemet AOHC and I had the best hair day today which I haven't had in a couple weeks, but my hair was on point today. :grin:

Heres a pic of my of bun. This has been my protective style of choice for the past 2 years. I'm enjoyin seeing my bun get bigger and bigger.

Attachments

• DSCF1074.jpg
    DSCF1074.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Back