The 2011 Wedding Thread

I like the idea of a sapphire because I can get a bigger stone for cheap. :lachen:

I always wanted my engagement ring to be from the natural sapphire company. Natural sapphires are NOT CHEAP.

Check out their website and drool for a while...

I'll get him one. That's at the rehearsal dinner, right?

No. It's a cake that is just for him at the reception that is off to the side of the bridal/wedding cake.

It's usually chocolate. My FH's is gonna be a pineapple cake though b/c that's what he loves

i'm a nosy 2010 bride that has an engagement ring that had to be sized down to a 3.75 :nono:

No. It's a cake that is just for him at the reception that is off to the side of the bridal/wedding cake.

It's usually chocolate. My FH's is gonna be a pineapple cake though b/c that's what he loves

i'm a nosy 2010 bride that has an engagement ring that had to be sized down to a 3.75 :nono:

I thought my 4.5 finger was small! LOL...

Thanks for the info on the groom's cake. FH loves cake :lick: so he'll appreciate one. Actually, he just loves food, so... :lol:

I love how us 2010 brides have butted into this thread!

:lachen:

i'm just a bride for 2 more months exactly come tomorrow

gotta post somewhere while i still can :lol:

the cake is usually designed based on something he loves... my guy is a Steelers fanatic so that will be his theme

the cake is usually designed based on something he loves... my guy is a Steelers fanatic so that will be his theme

OMG, mine too! He's from outside Pittsburgh, so it comes naturally.

(Yo, like share some pictures of the Steelers cake once you get it... :look:)

I love this thread. It's so much fun. Who knew wedding details could be fun? I mean really for me it's a headache to debate for so long. But it is fun discussing the outcome of the debates, and also seeing where everyone else is in the process...and hearing suggestions.

I have a question of makeup. Which do you like better? Not sure. It's down to these...

Look 1
attachment.php

Look 2
attachment.php

Look 3
garcelle-movies-2.jpg

Look 4
index.jpg

Reminder I'm wearing this with my hair half up and half down and festive flowers in my hair.

Attachments

• Image (11).jpg
    Image (11).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 340
  • Image (10).jpg
    Image (10).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Look four is my fave cuz it's the most natural.
2nd fave would be the first one of garcelle

the others are gorgeous but too made up for my taste, but would say the first is the prettiest with the plum eyes

^^^See that's the thing I'm a lip gloss kinda gal so really the others are really made up. But I'm not sure if that's better for pics. And the first one with the plum eyes is really cute. I only like the first one because of the plum eye. I have this debate going...I'm always allnatural...shouldn't I glam it up? It's my wedding. Time to feel extra special... But then I KNOW me and really I'm the lip gloss...occasional mascara person. So it just goes back and forth. I tried to choose those closest to my complexion, though I'm a little lighter...we're pretty much in the same family (complexion wise)

So you think that #3 could go with those plum eyes? I'm so NOT a makeup person so I don't have a clue. But I will have a makeup artist and want to give her a pic (idea) of what I want...h mmm interesting.

Last edited:
^^^See that's the thing I'm a lip gloss kinda gal so really the others are really made up. But I'm not sure if that's better for pics. And the first one with the plum eyes is really cute. I only like the first one because of the plum eye. I have this debate going...I'm always allnatural...shouldn't I glam it up? It's my wedding. Time to feel extra special... But then I KNOW me and really I'm the lip gloss...occasional mascara person. So it just goes back and forth. I tried to choose those closest to my complexion, though I'm a little lighter...we're pretty much in the same family (complexion wise)

So you think that #3 could go with those plum eyes? I'm so NOT a makeup person so I don't have a clue. But I will have a makeup artist and want to give her a pic (idea) of what I want...h mmm intersesting.

I hope someone else chimes in cuz i'm just not that girl, and i've given up on tryin to be her.

I am either going to get a makeup artist to do a natural look on me or have one of my MUAs i work with gimme a tutorial and practice practice practice so i can do it myself on the big day.

the thing is, i dont wanna look extra super model fabulous on my wedding day. I wanna look like me! but punched up a notch.

I hope someone else chimes in cuz i'm just not that girl, and i've given up on tryin to be her.

I am either going to get a makeup artist to do a natural look on me or have one of my MUAs i work with gimme a tutorial and practice practice practice so i can do it myself on the big day.

the thing is, i dont wanna look extra super model fabulous on my wedding day. I wanna look like me! but punched up a notch.

To both bolded (s) I co sign!! I so am NOT that girl at all.

I think it's fun once in a while to dress up, but I'm so not super model on a daily basis...and I'm not a makeup queen. It's a miracle I know what gloss and mascara are.

I guess I'll show the looks to the makeup artist and have her do her thing (or his). It'll probably be a close my eyes and pick one moment or maybe one will just feel right when I put on my dress and look at my hair. I guess if I picked up all of them I'm attracted to them in some ways. The last two because they're as natural as can be (really they're still not. Meaning she still has on a ton of makeup and in real life I don't even wear foundation. I just make sure my skin stays clear and smooth and kim...), and the other two are a little more dramatic and I like them because I think they'd be hot with my dress.

Oh well...it's good to get other opinions though.:yep:

^ well if we're going the prettiest look, keeping my personal makeup habits out of the equation i'd say the first one is the hands down prettiest.

You're right about colored stones to an extent. You can get them cheap but the quality will be less. You may get a lab created one...those are the ones that are usually super cheap, or else they'll be really low quality. The organic stones (and the quality ones) that aren't man made are going to cost more. Colored stones are beautiful but it depends on price. Top of the line can get expensive (my dad is an amateur gemologist and I learned a ton from him). For instance this saphire is a little over 2 and a half and it is wholesale for over $6000...can only imagine retail on that sucker (and that's not the ring that's just the stone and that's the wholesale price)
http://www.africagems.com/bluesapphire-74032.html

Examples of colored stones...My ruby (which was genuine, meaning non lab creation, and top quality) that my sweetie purchased...I had it appraised and let's just say I ran to insure it incase I lost it because he did goooood) and a good ruby can cost more than a diamond. Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking colored stones are not expensive, but they can be if you get top quality. So it depends on what stone and the quality of that stone (depends on the
price

To your second half you're right. I'm glad my sweetie got my imput. He did propose with a ring, but asked me earlier in our relationship what kind of rings I like (engagement) and took me to a store. I wasn't a fan of just diamonds. I wanted a ruby (as I like color stones) with diamonds around it. I thought it was a passing thing but my sweetie was taking notes. He even got a small thin band because I have small fingers 5 1/4. And the ruby is a little over 3.8 carats and surrounded by 1.0 of diamonds but it is cushion cut with it almost looking like a rectangle and the long part on the length of the fingers not the with so it doesn't look overwhelming even though my fingers are small. It was good to know he took that into account. So I think there are other ways for a guy to get your opinion without showing up without a ring.:grin:

I MUST see a picture! :up:

I'll get him one. That's at the rehearsal dinner, right?

Yeah, it's a cake to be served along with the wedding cake at the wedding reception. It is usually chocolate, though not necessarily, and it does reflect his interests. Here are a few pics from a local baker:

groomcake1.jpg

groomcake2.jpg

groomcake3.jpg

groomcake6.jpg

groomcake33.jpg

groomcake25.jpg

I always wanted my engagement ring to be from the natural sapphire company. Natural sapphires are NOT CHEAP.

Check out their website and drool for a while...

Yes! I discovered them a while ago from a poster here! Those pink and purple rings I linked are from that website. I love playing around with the different settings and cuts and colors of stones.

I MUST see a picture! :up:

SURE. I don't make a habit of taking pics but since my fiance was smart enough to ask me to marry him I took pics... ha ha!:grin:...I'm reading this out loud. He says I was the smart one for saying yes :lachen:...I guess I'll concede that we BOTH made good choices....anyways I took a pic with my cell phone to send to my mom and made a thread about how he proposed. So that's the only one I have. Bah at cell phone lighting it's not great lighting but it gets the job done so you can see how it looks. Though really it's much prettier...

Scroll past the story in the first post and there's a pic of the ring.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=475870&highlight=

Last edited:
Just copied pic so you don't have to go through the whole engagement story. The cell phone pic blew it up big...I didn't. It's just the way it transferred when I emailed it. Sorry, I don't know how to resize.
engagementring2.jpg

LOVE!!!!
It would look great on you too cuz youre slim n tall you'll look so beeeeuuutiful.

Thanks Whimsy! :bighug: That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever said to me!

:lachen:I saw in The Knot they called black "ebony" and gray "steel" and "pewter". :perplexed I guess it makes sense to compare the color to a thing. Because when you say "pink", it could be hot pink or pale pink, soft pink, bright pink. There's so many shades of pink. But when I say "blush", you know what I mean. :yep:

Hmmm. Makes sense :yep:

luckiestdestiny, I LOVE your ring. The band is so perfect. Delicate, dainty and feminine. Then you have that huge ruby and it's like BAM! It's so unique and "you". That's what I want people to say about my ring. :grin:

Let them eat cake! :grin: :lick: I hate how every wedding or party I go to, all the cake tastes the same! It's good cake but I've literally eaten the cake 100's of times. :nono: I want something unique. I love white chocolate so I'd love to do a white chocolate cake with white chocolate ganache and alternating layers of raspberry and blackberry. Ties in perfectly with my spring theme and I can get fresh berries. I also like simple looking cake. Maybe a few dots and swirls and real flowers. Not too much of that stuff you see on TV; looks unappetizing.

BTW, the 4th cake is what I mean by over the top. :lol: Maybe 2 few tiers and 1000 less flowers and it'd be perfect. :lol:

Attachments

• cake2.jpg
    cake2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 35
  • cake3.jpg
    cake3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 29
  • cake4.jpg
    cake4.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 33
  • cake5.jpg
    cake5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 40
  • idealcake1.jpg
    idealcake1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 29
Centerpieces: I'd like alternating sizes of small, medium and large centerpieces to keep it visually stimulating. :yep: I love crystal trees too. May try to make it on my own to save money.

Attachments

• centerpiece1.jpg
    centerpiece1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 32
  • centerpiece2.jpg
    centerpiece2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
  • centerpiece3.jpg
    centerpiece3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
  • crystaltree.jpg
    crystaltree.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 35
  • crystaltree2.jpg
    crystaltree2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 38
More reception photos:

Attachments

• reception6.jpg
    reception6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 34
  • reception7.jpg
    reception7.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 31
  • reception8.jpg
    reception8.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 30
  • reception9.jpg
    reception9.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 32
OK, I'm done spamming this thread. :lol: You all keep planning and I'll keep dreaming. :rofl: BTW, if you all need any help or advice, feel free to contact me. I'm well versed in wedding etiquette regardless of my age. :yep:

Oooooo love the photos in this thread. If only I could settle on my decor:ohwell:. I keep wanting to switch everytime I see something 'nicer'.

I'm getting married, officially, March 19 of next year.
We'll be having both the ceremony and reception at Half Moon Resort on Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
Most of hubbys fam is still there, so it's only right we have it there...:grin:

Our ceremony time is 4:30pm and hoepfully we can catch some pics of the sunset.

Still working on the colors, themes and menu, etc...

CAN'T WAIT! :yay::yay:

I'm getting married, officially, March 19 of next year.
We'll be having both the ceremony and reception at Half Moon Resort on Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
Most of hubbys fam is still there, so it's only right we have it there...:grin:

Our ceremony time is 4:30pm and hoepfully we can catch some pics of the sunset.

Still working on the colors, themes and menu, etc...

CAN'T WAIT! :yay::yay:

congrats! We looked into half moon and they seem to really have it together:yep:.. It seems that the staff is really on it with all questions, and they also have many options of where to have your wedding and myriads of options for the wedding reception and wedding decorations. Has the wedding coordinator contacted you yet?

Last edited:
Let them eat cake! :grin: :lick: I hate how every wedding or party I go to, all the cake tastes the same! It's good cake but I've literally eaten the cake 100's of times. :nono: I want something unique. I love white chocolate so I'd love to do a white chocolate cake with white chocolate ganache and alternating layers of raspberry and blackberry. Ties in perfectly with my spring theme and I can get fresh berries. I also like simple looking cake. Maybe a few dots and swirls and real flowers. Not too much of that stuff you see on TV; looks unappetizing.

BTW, the 4th cake is what I mean by over the top. :lol: Maybe 2 few tiers and 1000 less flowers and it'd be perfect. :lol:
That sounds like a yummy YUMMY combination. OMG I can only imagine chocolate ganach and blackberry and rasberry:lick: Seems really festive....now you've got me wondering if I can replicate something similar for mine. I was thinking lemon with berries because my fiance loves lemon. maybe lemon cake with white chocolate frosting and some berries of sort...or better yet a white chocolate cake with lemon frosting and some berries in between....:lick:

Last edited:
congrats! We looked into half moon and they seem to really have it together:yep:.. It seems that the staff is really on it with all questions, and they also have many options of where to have your wedding and myriads of options for the wedding reception and wedding decorations. Has the wedding coordinator contacted you yet?

Yeah, I called and spoke with someone there.. We'll be flying down in October to choose a spot for the ceremony and reception, and also do a food/cake tasting. We have to pay extra for the tastings, but I want to make sure the food is on point.

My uncle got married at Morgans Harbour in Port Royal, and believe me when I tell you, they were dissappointed about the food.. I don't want that to happen to me!:nono:

Back