The 2011 Wedding Thread

319FUyd%2BevL._AA280_.jpg

LOVE!!!!
It would look great on you too cuz youre slim n tall you'll look so beeeeuuutiful.

Naija that's pretty! Very bridal and classic looking.
I bet you that bad boy is heavy! i couldn't lug that around all day.

---------------------------

Some hair ideas:

8d73d15d38ed6e70124bec75edcb0f86_m.jpg

carrie_underwood_l_40844.jpg

Naija that's pretty! Very bridal and classic looking. I bet you that bad boy is heavy! i couldn't lug that around all day.
Thanks. I was going for something simpler originally but my SO keeps going on about how he wants the girl of his dreams to look like a princess and I figured it's the only time in my life I'll ever voluntarily wear a dress so why not just go all out and get something classic. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too heavy :perplexed.

Naija that's pretty! Very bridal and classic looking. I bet you that bad boy is heavy! i couldn't lug that around all day.
Thanks. I was going for something simpler originally but my SO keeps going on about how he wants the girl of his dreams to look like a princess and I figured it's the only time in my life I'll ever voluntarily wear a dress so why not just go all out and get something classic. I hope it doesn't turn out to be too heavy :perplexed.

You're TOTALLY going to look like a princess in that! Very classic...how will you do your hair!?!?

Are you not a dress wearer in general?

You're TOTALLY going to look like a princess in that! Very classic...how will you do your hair!?!?

Are you not a dress wearer in general?

I am not a dress wearer at all. I had to be beaten into dresses when I was a kid. The only dress in my closet is one my SO got me after we met when I told him I don't own any dresses:grin:.

Hair? I don't know. By the time I get married, I'll be fully natural and no one knows how to style natural hair where I come from. I have no idea what I'll do really:perplexed.

I am not a dress wearer at all. I had to be beaten into dresses when I was a kid. The only dress in my closet is one my SO got me after we met when I told him I don't own any dresses:grin:.

Hair? I don't know. By the time I get married, I'll be fully natural and no one knows how to style natural hair where I come from. I have no idea what I'll do really:perplexed.

Holy moly so that big ol dress is going to be extra special then!!! So exciting.

Maybe a pinned up twistout? or a half up twistout or a caruso set or a flatironed do, or a low chignon or a high updo...?

Ladies what are your wedding plans?
Royal plantation in Jamaica.
http://www.royalplantation.com/difference.cfm
Going for an "island glamour" theme. I'm thinking hanging lamps,sunset wedding that is NOT on the beach, but by the beach with a back drop. Meaning I am not walking on sand in a wedding dress cause that is NOT me. I won't be trashing the dress. Ha! It will probably hang in my closet and get moth balls because I'm sentimental. However it will not be traditional in other ways. My wedding planner and I have (and my fiance) have been talking about keeping it simple but elegant. She showed me a pic from another wedding and I like it. It's perfect. Not sure if I will change it I'm thinking white orchids or white hydragea and white roses

Realize that I printed up the pics she sent from a reception done at this property and just scanned it to place here. I just wanted to give an idea. Not sure if it will be long tables or round. it depends on how many people show up. The rounds will be if we get 50-75 and the long is for the guaranteed show ups of about 30 (close friends and family who we know have our backs and can't wait to come). I like the fact that the set up is outside on the deck by the ocean but elegant and laid back at the same time.

f5d9na.jpg

23r6bfo.jpg

Will have really colorful flowers that are purple and pink orchids andpink roses against the white ones (bouquet) AND possibly in my hair as well. So the wedding site will be more festive versus the reception with those colors and also have white orchids and white roses as well as the more festive colors, but the reception will have a more laid back vibe so that everyone can enjoy the sunset.
Traditional wedding?
Yes and no. I am walking myself down the aisle, so I guess that's no traditional. Parents will walk a head of me if they want to feel like they're apart of the wedding. That idea is not going over well with my dad but oh well. Also very small or no brides maids, debating. Cause I don't want the headache and it may be a small wedding. If so, at most I'll probably have a small with maybe 2 or 3 at the most. This is not going over well with my friends but I really don't want the headache of debates over hair, and the color of their outfits, and how this dress only looks good on one of them. If I have it my way it probably will be none or just a maid of honor lol. Still deciding. I do know it won't be a huge amount period.

There was so much stress just looking at hotels. I really want to just pick, but at the same time I want things to look good to, you know? If I could in an ideal world have a wedding planner show me two awesome ideas and I say "that one!" I would. But alas. There's tons of things to show me, and then there are things to debate over. But I am really not the lady to debate over robin blue versus royal blue:spinning::grin: However I still have to do something because the libra in me needs to make sure it looks elegant while the silly part of me needs to have it have some fun. Hence the wedding site will be more festive, and also the flowers in my hair.

Let's not get started on my sweetie. He's totally tuxing it. I told him it was jamaica and he could wear a more laid back attire. Don't you know he thought I was insane! His family wouldn't have it! So anyways the wedding will be this fun mix of formal and laid back elements. The dress will be more formal, but then my hair will be loose (halfup/halfdown) and I'll have festive flowers. My sweetie will be in his tux but then we'll have the laid back but sophisticated elements in the reception: more laid back glamour, and we'll have fun elements like a steel band and dancers.

I'm probably walking down the aisle to "I'm yours" by jason mraz instead of a traditional wedding waltz. Will have steel drums at the wedding reception but also a band that can play a variety and even salsa as we have a ton of friends who love salsa
Large or small guestlist?
In between not sure...will see when everyone's confirmed. We have 25-30 people clammoring to KNOW why don't we hurry up already and nail down the info....lol which takes time They're friends and family that are a guarantee to show up. The rest are a chop salad. My fiance has a lot of collegues and friends from work who want to come. So we could have between 25 and 75 guests
Destination wedding?
Yes Jamaica. Never been. Wanted hawaii but older relatives and long trips. Wedding planner steered us to Jamaica, and one of the hotels that's received rewards for most romantic, best all inclusive hotel in the world by trip advisor...we'll see. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I do like that it's all suites, and butler service for everyone. I think the grand parents will get a kick out of that.
Anything "special"?
I wanted fire dancers, but didn't seem to be so great when they sent video. I was like meh. Plus dude had like this little piece of fabric on and that's it. My grandmother would die right there. Looking for something else fun...any ideas? I'm just thinking dancers now, just for fun...but with their clothes on lol.

We will have a welcome brunch, a rehearsal dinner, and a trip to the waterfalls for everyone
Band or DJ?
Here's where it gets funny. Outside of my fiance, and some of his friends who looove salsa, no one really is going to dance.:spinning: His collegues sat around at the last wedding and are considerably uptight. So IDK. I know steel band, yes. But then what? I mean I think we'll have a dj after...BUT I'm thinking (still debating) steel band first for an hour or two (cocktail hour and then after) and then we eat and see some dancers? Perhaps a little music after that. If DJ then no other band, or else a band that can play salsa...I'm still indecisive. Any ideas? I'd love them because I am confused. Maybe if we have something interesting these people will get off their butts and dance...come to think of it the alcohol will probably get them on their feet and also the vacation (though I don't drink we'll have a full bar plus hotel is all inclusive)

Where are you honeymooning?

Debate between continuing on after they leave at Royal Plantation or moving on to Moondance villas for relaxation.
http://www.moondanceresorts.com/
I like the amenities: spa, 24 hour private chef, ridiculous view...we're going to be in more , right:grin:
Gimme the scoop!

Attachments

• RECEPTION2.jpg
    RECEPTION2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 153
  • RECEPTION.jpg
    RECEPTION.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I'm not engaged. I'm shooting for 2014-2015 so stick around a few more years. :lachen:I love weddings (want to be a wedding planner) so I've been collecting a few photos as inspiration.

Engagement rings: I love cushion and pear cuts and thin, pave bands. I have thin fingers (size 5.25-5.5) and I don't want anything too big. I also love colored sapphires as well.

Attachments

• e-ring1.jpg
    e-ring1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 23
  • e-ring2.jpg
    e-ring2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 24
  • e-ring3.jpg
    e-ring3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 16
  • e-ring4.jpg
    e-ring4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 16
  • e-ring5.jpg
    e-ring5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
AAAGGGGHHHHHH

Luckiestdestiny i love EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR WEDDING planning....especially the fire dancer in the loin cloth....i think granny will LOVE it.

Reception: I love soft, delicate, colors. I want a spring wedding so I want aspects of my wedding to reflect that. Huge bunches of pale pink peonies, white and green hydrangeas and lots of white and pink tulips.

Attachments

• reception1.jpg
    reception1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 63
  • reception2.jpg
    reception2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
  • reception3.jpg
    reception3.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 46
  • reception4.jpg
    reception4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 60
  • reception5.jpg
    reception5.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
I'm not married. I'm shooting for 2014-2015 so stick around a few more years. :lachen:I love weddings (want to be a wedding planner) so I've been collecting a few photos as inspiration.

Engagement rings: I love cushion and pear cuts and thin, pave bands. I have thin fingers (size 5.25-5.5) and I don't want anything too big. I also love colored sapphires as well.

I wanted a colored sapphire!!! pink blue or yelllow...... didn't get it. But I still love my ring to death.

Your first colored stone is my ideal ring, just make it a princess cut stone.

I'm loving your choices!!! Whenever I see rings on LHCF I think of arcadian.

Don't get me started on freakishly small fingers. I'll just say this. I'm below a size 4. (you can laugh, i've come to terms with it)

Reception: I love soft, delicate, colors. I want a spring wedding so I want aspects of my wedding to reflect that. Huge bunches of pale pink peonies, white and green hydrangeas and lots of white and pink tulips.

Aaaallll so pretty... Do you have any saved inspiration boards of colors?

We're doing pink and grey...I dunno how I'll be decorating our space though.

Colors: I've been in love with different color schemes for quite a while now:

1. Blush, champagne and cream
2. Eggplant, cream, and gray
3. Purple, chartreuse, and gray

Attachments

• pink1.jpg
    pink1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 67
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 63
  • purple2.jpg
    purple2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 54
Colors: I've been in love with different color schemes for quite a while now:

1. Blush, champagne and cream
2. Eggplant, cream, and gray
3. Purple, chartreuse, and gray

See? why cant it be pink and cream? why's it gotta be blush?! lol

eggplant? just say purple.

::sigh:: the wedding and fashion industry just make any old thing a color!!:grin:

I love those color combos tho. #1 being the fave cuz of the BLUSH!

I wanted a colored sapphire!!! pink blue or yelllow...... didn't get it. But I still love my ring to death.

Don't get me started on freakishly small fingers. I'll just say this. I'm below a size 4. (you can laugh, i've come to terms with it)

I like the idea of a sapphire because I can get a bigger stone for cheap. :lachen:I know it's not too romantic, but I would love it if a guy proposed to me with either no ring or with a simple promise ring and then we go shopping for the engagement ring later. I think it shows that we're willing and able to compromise instead of the man making a decision and me just going along with it. :yep:

I can't make of your hands. I have small fingers but HUGE hands. I was a cellist and had to stretch my fingers to reach some of the notes. :lol:

Aaaallll so pretty... Do you have any saved inspiration boards of colors?

We're doing pink and grey...I dunno how I'll be decorating our space though.

There was a pink, black and grey wedding in The Knot last year. I have lots of pictures from that wedding cut out. SOOOOOO lovely!

See? why cant it be pink and cream? why's it gotta be blush?! lol

eggplant? just say purple.

::sigh:: the wedding and fashion industry just make any old thing a color!!:grin:

I love those color combos tho. #1 being the fave cuz of the BLUSH!

:lachen:I saw in The Knot they called black "ebony" and gray "steel" and "pewter". :perplexed I guess it makes sense to compare the color to a thing. Because when you say "pink", it could be hot pink or pale pink, soft pink, bright pink. There's so many shades of pink. But when I say "blush", you know what I mean. :yep:

Traditional
It's mostly traditional. I will not be having the ceremony at a church though. It's a civil ceremony which will take place at the reception venue (in a different room). It's also on a friday evening

Large or small guest list
We'll have about 110 people. Definitely not what I wanted but I have to blame the fiance and his big huge ridiculous family :rolleyes:. I'd rather something smaller like around 70 people

DJ or Band
His uncle is friends with a DJ from one of the NY radio stations so he's arranged for him too DJ the wedding (his uncle's paying) :grin:

Honeymoon
I Have no idea where the honeymoon yet. I know I want a 2 week honeymoon. Maybe hawaii? St. Lucia?.....I have no idea, there's so many choices!

Anyting special
I want a christmas theme since our anniversary is xmas eve. I will also wear an champagne/light gold dress with a good amount of red on it or I've even been considering wearing all red.

AAAGGGGHHHHHH

Luckiestdestiny i love EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR WEDDING planning....especially the fire dancer in the loin cloth....i think granny will LOVE it.

You think?:lachen: I really don't want any one having a heart attack:grin:...may revisit idea. I really did want it, and have been for a while, and then I thought about granny lol!

Traditional
It's mostly traditional. I will not be having the ceremony at a church though. It's a civil ceremony which will take place at the reception venue (in a different room). It's also on a friday evening

Large or small guest list
We'll have about 110 people. Definitely not what I wanted but I have to blame the fiance and his big huge ridiculous family :rolleyes:. I'd rather something smaller like around 70 people

DJ or Band
His uncle is friends with a DJ from one of the NY radio stations so he's arranged for him too DJ the wedding (his uncle's paying) :grin:

Honeymoon
I Have no idea where the honeymoon yet. I know I want a 2 week honeymoon. Maybe hawaii? St. Lucia?.....I have no idea, there's so many choices!

Anyting special
I want a christmas theme since our anniversary is xmas eve. I will also wear an champagne/light gold dress with a good amount of red on it or I've even been considering wearing all red.

Sounds cool!!!!! I wanna see the dress

Any of you brides doing groom's cakes? It's a big Southern tradition. :grin:

Not specifically, but we're having a cupcake tower with a small cake on top for our cutting pics

and then 3 or 4 smaller cakes. I want there to be a big variety for the guests to chow down on.

I like the idea of a sapphire because I can get a bigger stone for cheap. :lachen:I know it's not too romantic, but I would love it if a guy proposed to me with either no ring or with a simple promise ring and then we go shopping for the engagement ring later. I think it shows that we're willing and able to compromise instead of the man making a decision and me just going along with it. :yep:
!

You're right about colored stones to an extent. You can get them cheap but the quality will be less. You may get a lab created one...those are the ones that are usually super cheap, or else they'll be really low quality. The organic stones (and the quality ones) that aren't man made are going to cost more. Colored stones are beautiful but it depends on price. Top of the line can get expensive (my dad is an amateur gemologist and I learned a ton from him). For instance this saphire is a little over 2 and a half and it is wholesale for over $6000...can only imagine retail on that sucker (and that's not the ring that's just the stone and that's the wholesale price)
http://www.africagems.com/bluesapphire-74032.html

Examples of colored stones...My ruby (which was genuine, meaning non lab creation, and top quality) that my sweetie purchased...I had it appraised and let's just say I ran to insure it incase I lost it because he did goooood) and a good ruby can cost more than a diamond. Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking colored stones are not expensive, but they can be if you get top quality. So it depends on what stone and the quality of that stone (depends on the
price

To your second half you're right. I'm glad my sweetie got my imput. He did propose with a ring, but asked me earlier in our relationship what kind of rings I like (engagement) and took me to a store. I wasn't a fan of just diamonds. I wanted a ruby (as I like color stones) with diamonds around it. I thought it was a passing thing but my sweetie was taking notes and custom made mine. He even got a small thin band because I have small fingers 5 1/4. And the ruby is a little over 3.8 carats and surrounded by 1.0 of diamonds but it is cushion cut with it almost looking like a rectangle and the long part on the length of the fingers not the width so it doesn't look overwhelming even though my fingers are small. It was good to know he took that into account. So I think there are other ways for a guy to get your opinion without showing up without a ring.:grin:

Last edited:

No laughter here...but I am amazed. I thought I had small fingers...:yep:

You think?:lachen: I really don't want any one having a heart attack:grin:...may revisit idea. I really did want it, and have been for a while, and then I thought about granny lol!

I don't know how your granny is, but my granny thoroughly enjoyed the :sekret: entertainer at my bachelorette party. So much so that she was handing over singles and hollering "you go boy".

i can't wait to see pics of your wedding.

I promise to post pics! :D

(Or at least alert you to a place where pics can be found, tee hee. :lol:)

Funny, he just called me and said, "We need to get our gift registry set up." We're going away to his hometown next week, so we'll be able to get some planning done!

AAAGGGGHHHHHH

Yes, I agree!!! Her wedding sounds like it's going to be so fun!!!!

Back