Single and Ready to Mingle Challenge 2010!

I am still looking for things to do and nothing piques my interest as yet.

Try checking out the things don't pique your interest. It might open you up to things you didn't even know you could like. At the very least you'll meet men who you normally wouldn't. I think the point of this challenge is to get out of our comfort zones to explore venues that we never have before.

As for me, tonight I had a first meeting with a guy from Match.com. He asked me out for an official date before the evening ended. I think he's more interested than I am, but he's nice and didn't do anything to completely turn me off so I'm going to give him a chance. He's much different than any man I've dated in the past so at the very least it will open me up to something new.

Alright, y'all. I have a few things lined up before I go on my few-month "no dating" break. Lol. This is more to just see what's out there.

ONLINE: I signed up for a one-month subscription to match.com. It took a LOT for me to do it. I kept deleting my profile. LOL. Anyway, I know someone who did it and got a long-term relationship out of it, so there IS hope for those looking.

BLINDDATE: He rescheduled for this Friday. If he changes it up again, it's a wrap. Here's what I know about him on paper: He's a scientist by day, starting his own restaurant, nice smile, tall. We're supposed to meet up for dinner. I'll keep you posted.

WINE & MINGLING: I went on meetup.com and found a social group for single international professionals. Even though I'm technically not international, I thought it'd be great to check out people from different cultures. We're meeting at a lounge to mingle over some wine this weekend.

So did anyone go out Friday or Saturday? Meet anyone special? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

BLIND DATE UPDATE: Okay, dinner was fine. He's smart, successful, nice, and funny. HOWEVER, I am not physically attracted to him at all. I tried y'all, but I couldn't get past the physical. I really did; it was that bad. His posture, his teeth, etc. There will not be a date #2. Lol.

ONLINE UPDATE: I've gotten some winks and messages, I guess since my profile is new. I quickly deleted the guys who are 15+ years older than me. Still sifting through the rest. Will keep you posted.

SUSHI BAR, BOOKSTORE: So after reading that link I posted, I scoped out the sushi bar and Barnes & Noble (to buy the book written by the lady on the website). The sushi bar was crawling with some handsome, professional men but I didn't have the nerve to actually walk up to the bar. Just ordered takeout and left. Maybe another time. The bookstore had some eye candy.

How's everyone else doing? I wanna hear more stories! :grinwink:

I went to a Dating for Nerds event last week. That was fun. The premise is speed dating with games. The ladies stay put and the men rotate tables every 20 minutes. We played trivial pursuit, taboo, card games, etc. It was pretty fun. There were 2 attractive men there but nothing came of it.

I have a date this week with the guy I met from Match.com. We're going sledding and then getting hot chocolate. It's an active date so it should be fun.

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods after reading the thread on here about all of the prospects that are there. Sure enough, I met a guy as I was leaving. He asked to contact me so I gave him my business card. Maybe I'll hear from him this week.

I also sent out first contact messages on Match.com to a couple of guys. The one I was most interested in wrote me back already, so we'll see how that goes.

There are a bunch of attractive guys at the gym so I think I'm going to focus on making some connections there in the upcoming weeks. That's it for me. I'll let you know how the sledding date goes.

I've been working like CRAZY so I haven't done a damn thing this month :nono: I'm defintiely going out this weekend though. Off to search for activities.

I haven't done anything myself, mainly because money is really tight right now. Once I catch up on some of these bills, I'm gonna try to go out more.

I did create a profile on match.com today, though. I haven't really had much luck with the online dating thing, but I guess it can't hurt.

BLIND DATE UPDATE: Okay, dinner was fine. He's smart, successful, nice, and funny. HOWEVER, I am not physically attracted to him at all. I tried y'all, but I couldn't get past the physical. I really did; it was that bad. His posture, his teeth, etc. There will not be a date #2. Lol.

ONLINE UPDATE: I've gotten some winks and messages, I guess since my profile is new. I quickly deleted the guys who are 15+ years older than me. Still sifting through the rest. Will keep you posted.

SUSHI BAR, BOOKSTORE: So after reading that link I posted, I scoped out the sushi bar and Barnes & Noble (to buy the book written by the lady on the website). The sushi bar was crawling with some handsome, professional men but I didn't have the nerve to actually walk up to the bar. Just ordered takeout and left. Maybe another time. The bookstore had some eye candy.

How's everyone else doing? I wanna hear more stories! :grinwink:

Thanks for the update! Shoot - maybe I should hit the sushi bar alone before trying the night club . . . .

I already did my obligatory two outings for the month, so right now I am trying to just smile more and seem more approachable to men :yep:

I just came back from a date. I met the guy and we corresponded over email and then met up for dinner/drinks.

I don't know if I'm ready to date cross-culturally. :look: The guy was attractive, VERY much into me (maybe a little too much :look:), but he was so freaking pushy. He kept wanting to hug all up on me and kiss me, talking about I need to come by to visit his apartment, and his place was now my place. All on Date #1. It was a bit much. :look:

ETA: I don't know if this is pertinent but he is Nigerian. I've never dated cross-culturally so is this a cultural thing? :look: Oh and he called me 4 times in the 15 minutes it takes me to get home to make sure I was driving safely. :look:

I went to a Dating for Nerds event last week. That was fun. The premise is speed dating with games. The ladies stay put and the men rotate tables every 20 minutes. We played trivial pursuit, taboo, card games, etc. It was pretty fun. There were 2 attractive men there but nothing came of it.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

It's hard for me to step out of my comfort zone, but I did. I actually emailed one of the guys in the Love Connection thread. I stared at the screen for the longest time before I hit send lol

There's a guy that I'm really attracted to that I see around our office building. We have made small talk when we see each other. I can't tell if he's flirting with me, although one of my co-workers says he is. I have to work up the nerve to 1) find out if he's single and 2) ask him to lunch.

okay I was walking into the store to get my glasses and this guy asked me for my number so I gave it to him. He's already called me I will call tomorrow to see if he has any kids...lol. (kind of backwards, but I didn't think of it at the time -- I really needed my glasses lol)

I just came back from a date. I met the guy and we corresponded over email and then met up for dinner/drinks.

I don't know if I'm ready to date cross-culturally. :look: The guy was attractive, VERY much into me (maybe a little too much :look:), but he was so freaking pushy. He kept wanting to hug all up on me and kiss me, talking about I need to come by to visit his apartment, and his place was now my place. All on Date #1. It was a bit much. :look:

ETA: I don't know if this is pertinent but he is Nigerian. I've never dated cross-culturally so is this a cultural thing? :look: Oh and he called me 4 times in the 15 minutes it takes me to get home to make sure I was driving safely. :look:

LOL. No, it's not a Nigerian thing. 4 times in 15 minutes? Wow.

Not to stereotype or generalize but that type of pushiness is what I've encountered with Nigerian men . . . .

OK so one vote for yes and one for no. :lol:

ETA: He called back AGAIN to see what was up because I didn't talk to him for a long while on the phone when I called back to let him know that I had gotten home alright. He asked if I was mad at him. :perplexed I don't know about this one ya'll. :nono:

Last edited:
LOL. Well, I'll put it this way. Nigerian men tend to know what they want right away (e.g., wife, relationship) and some make it clear, but it's not common for them to hug and touch you, invite you to their homes, and call 4 times in 15 minutes all on the first date. :lachen: I think this dude is simply stalkerish. LOL.

okay I was walking into the store to get my glasses and this guy asked me for my number so I gave it to him. He's already called me I will call tomorrow to see if he has any kids...lol. (kind of backwards, but I didn't think of it at the time -- I really needed my glasses lol)

I asked today if he had children. NO dice and told him such. Oh well. I gotta stop and ask the basics, no matter how much in a rush I'm in. Oh well...next?

This sounds scary almost stalker potential.. I would be careful. :blush:

No date as of yet. Its kind of difficult to mingle in Colorado; everything is a good distance away.

I'm planning a trip to California in a month or two; we will see how things go there.

I'm thinking about having cards printed off with my name and number on it; I'm sure I can find a coupon or something.

OK so one vote for yes and one for no. :lol:

ETA: He called back AGAIN to see what was up because I didn't talk to him for a long while on the phone when I called back to let him know that I had gotten home alright. He asked if I was mad at him. :perplexed I don't know about this one ya'll. :nono:

:lachen: You'll have to dig up the dating African men thread. This actually sounds like characteristic courting behavior for Nigerian men from what I've read (from other ladies). Intense during this phase.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about having cards printed off with my name and number on it; I'm sure I can find a coupon or something.

I did that - ordered "calling cards" from crane.com a few years back . . . it was expensive, but I've used them judiciously and they always make great conversation pieces. Folks are always so blown away when I whip 'em out . . . plus my email address on their is my alumni email so if a dude has a problem with me being edjumacated, that puts them on notice right away.

I asked today if he had children. NO dice and told him such. Oh well. I gotta stop and ask the basics, no matter how much in a rush I'm in. Oh well...next?

Wow - so that's one of your dealbreakers? It used to be for me but as I get older I realize that more and more people have children . . . so I've opened myself up to the possibility.

Not that I'm so experienced in dating and the like, but I will say that I've had guys aske me that question right off the bat ("Are you a mutha?" :lol:) and it was a big turn off . . . . But hey, you know you and what you're looking for :yep:

If anyone is interested in speed dating, you may want to check out Fastlife.com. They have some events in Chicago, Houston, and all over the country. Where I'm at, it's like $50 to attend a speed dating event where you meet 10+ men I think. (I'll double check the number ... it may be well more than 10.) Anyway, I figure spending $50 for 10+ dates in one night is better than spending $20 for one date in one night. Also, there's free wine and mingling before the actual event. I might go to one of these.

Actually I'm Nigerian and while I want to say that it's typical behavior for the men, I'd also tell you to be careful because he's already inviting you to his place and that smells like a hit and run deal to me.

Oh and good luck ladies, I'm out of the dating game finally (newlywed) :). I'll be rooting for y'all though

Last edited:
No date as of yet. Its kind of difficult to mingle in Colorado; everything is a good distance away.

I'm planning a trip to California in a month or two; we will see how things go there.

If you're near Denver, maybe you can check out speed dating?

Back