Ok Single Girls...

Where do you meet eligible men in Real Life?

• At The Grocery Store

Votes: 23 24.0%
  • At the Gym

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • At the Club/Lounge/Bar

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • At the Mall

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • On the Streets

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Introduced Through Mutual Friends

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • At Work

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • At a Sporting Event

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 39 40.6%

• Total voters
Hey Kisses!!!! :wave: What up!
I'm finding that all the people on the streets at the different festivals.. like AfroFest/Caribana.. you know how them things are....

Caribbana's for all the Americans.. so yeah.. American guys will approach, and then they're gone like the wind the week after... and the Cdn guys? ... They're just off somewhere wildin out...

Actually Afrofest, and the other festivals... i've been, but not really met anyone.. lol, maybe I should be hanging out with you...
Hey lady :wave:
Ok, the 'bana stuff is very true. Last year was my first time going and most of the guys were American, but I did meet a few Torontonias. There's one that I became friends with, I spoke to him today actually, and have met people through him.

AfroFest was great though, I think the key is looking approachable. I don't travel in a big pack, just me and one or two girlfriends, and we like to have fun even if we don't meet guys. I'm going away for awhile, but let me know if you ever wanna come to one of those :)

Oh and Restln1 the sports lounge thing is the truth! :yep:

Ok, the 'bana stuff is very true. Last year was my first time going and most of the guys were American, but I did meet a few Torontonias. There's one that I became friends with, I spoke to him today actually, and have met people through him.

AfroFest was great though, I think the key is looking approachable. I don't travel in a big pack, just me and one or two girlfriends, and we like to have fun even if we don't meet guys. I'm going away for awhile, but let me know if you ever wanna come to one of those :)

FYI, a lot of Canadian men pretend to be American during Caribana weekend. Fake license plates, IDs, accents, everything. They think pretending to be American will help them hook up. It's probably true. Caribana weekend, the pick up line is "hi, I'm from Chicago...":rolleyes:

Anyways. I see plenty black men in Financial District. I live in this area so I get a lot of eye candy. Unfortunately I look like a 16 year old, and they probably wonder why I'm trying to lock them up. I'm trying to update my wardrobe to something that will help me look like the 20 something year old I am.

So yes OP, come downtown. Frequent the bistros, cafes, and restaurants at lunch time. Thursday night is hoping with business men at the lounges and bars in this area. It's good if you can go to these places by yourself. Men are more likely to approach if you're alone. If I was serious about finding a man, this is what I would be doing.

Lys

professional networking events, political/social acitivist/community fund raiser events, mutual friends, "talented-tenth"-esque conventions (i.e. NAACP, Natl Black Caucus, etc), exclusive word-of-mouth business happy hour events for prominent firms/corporations, university libraries, academic-oriented web forums/blogs, my mother's church, upscale restaurants during business hours, walking through georgetown & downtown DC/Baltimore lunch-time hours during the work week.... I dont even date men but I seem to attract them in abundance in these particular environments.

Last edited:

FYI, a lot of Canadian men pretend to be American during Caribana weekend. Fake license plates, IDs, accents, everything. They think pretending to be American will help them hook up. It's probably true. Caribana weekend, the pick up line is "hi, I'm from Chicago...":rolleyes:

Anyways. I see plenty black men in Financial District. I live in this area so I get a lot of eye candy. Unfortunately I look like a 16 year old, and they probably wonder why I'm trying to lock them up. I'm trying to update my wardrobe to something that will help me look like the 20 something year old I am.

So yes OP, come downtown. Frequent the bistros, cafes, and restaurants at lunch time. Thursday night is hoping with business men at the lounges and bars in this area. It's good if you can go to these places by yourself. Men are more likely to approach if you're alone. If I was serious about finding a man, this is what I would be doing.

Lys

Thursday nights you say..... hmmmmmmm :grin:

Well, I don't work out, or go to events, so I mainly meet guys when i go to clubs/parties on the weekends. Sometimes I may meet someone during my lunch break but working in nyc, its kinda easy to run into some eligible man, even if they're not ur type, or u don't end up hitting it off with them.

But with all that said, i'm still single:perplexed

Try the Harlem Club, but you have to meet some physical requirements.

I need to put myself on an internet ban. :look:

I met this lawyer at one of those black professional events a few weeks ago. He seemed ok but he was just looking for some bootay.

I have met a couple of men at professional events and this seems to be the norm there. A lot of them feel that they are "good" catches because of their positions and that we should be throwing it at them and sad fact is a lot of women do. But I am still trying to find out where to be for a good man to find me. lol My church is filled with a lot of women and older married men. So no hope there.

Lol, join the club....

Hmm... that's a great idea... maybe I should find some professional associations... Bad thing is, here, in Toronto... there verrrrrrrrrrry few 'Black' professional associations...

Here's my question to you... Did Mr Bootay approach you at this event? Did y'all 'make eyes' lolol...

He approached me. I let him buy me a drink and I ripped up his business card after I left. He was talking crazy about how he liked young girls. He was in his early 30s and I am 23. I was like whatever!

Lys

Hey Metro_qt... I agree with the bolded above. I live in TO also and have tried the online thing too. I've had some success but it's not a great way to meet men. I chose that it's best to meet people through friends. So when you go out, focus on meeting people (in general) men and women... just be open... because the more people you know the more people you will potentially meet. Go out and ENJOY life, meet people cause summertime is the best time to get out and have fun... and you know what they say, when you least expect it (and are happy and having a great time) is when you'll meet a great guy.

I'd like to know, b/c i need to line up a few dates this summer.
Thing is, I don't even know where to really look. My closest gf is in a serious relationship and she won't really go out to certain places with me. Another acquaintaince of mine is single and loves to do these afterwork spot type things, but I can't deal with the ones that are like a 'club' atmosphere, she loves it. I hate crowds :nono:... I'd rather go to a nice lounge or something.

A Lady once told me that was the key to her having a consistent string of dates. She said women ask her all the time where and how she is meeting men, and her comment was "at them same events" The diffrence is when she's at an event, she makes sure she has a smile on her face and in good spirits.
Now this woman is in her 50's, bubbly personality, and attractive, but not drop dead gorgeous. She told me she met the man that she is dating now at an event full of women, but they didn't radiate happiness and it showed. And later after they had been together for awhile she asked him what attracted him to her, and he said, "I just had to meet the lady with the pretty smile."
That was interesting to me b/c people tell me that I have a nice smile, and I should smile more....and you guested it, it's manly men who have told me this.

I don't meet men because I suck at flirting...I think I confuse them. I avoid eye contact most times...makes me uncomfy to think that a man thinks I'm "sweatin' him". I'll try to play coy but that's not working at all. LOL

They also tell me that I look "taken" whatever the hell that means. :ohwell:

not trying to stereotype but many of the kinds of black men that i like went to predominantly white schools thus many of their friends are white so i don't turn my head at predominantly white events like CInco de Mayo or St Patricks day events b/c there are lots of blk men in attendance

I sometimes feel those events are for black men looking for non black women.

I want to know too because I want to start dating again. I don't get approached by decent men in the club. They are always "can't get right" type guys. I tend to have men compliment me but they are never my type.

professional networking events, political/social acitivist/community fund raiser events, mutual friends, "talented-tenth"-esque conventions (i.e. NAACP, Natl Black Caucus, etc), exclusive word-of-mouth business happy hour events for prominent firms/corporations, university libraries, academic-oriented web forums/blogs, my mother's church, upscale restaurants during business hours, walking through georgetown & downtown DC/Baltimore lunch-time hours during the work week.... I dont even date men but I seem to attract them in abundance in these particular environments.

Hey, BS

Do you tell the guys you aren't interested or do you tell them they have the wrong equipment? Great suggestions.

I sometimes feel those events are for black men looking for non black women.

Not necessarily. It may be for black men that are into stereotypical "white" things, but are open to black women who are also into those things. A black man that grew up in a predominantly white area and went/goes to a predominantly white school and thus hangs out with mostly white people would feel comfortable around a black woman of a similar background.

I speak from experience of writing off a guy, thinking that he was into white and asian girls due to his background and friends. I swore he wasn't into black girls... until he started dating me:yep:. I don't ever want to make the mistake of looking past a perfectly good man because I made the assumption he wouldn't be attracted to me because of my race.

Lys

Here's a list of places to find them OR places to go on a date:

lounges
comedy club
cultural center
Bars
churches
job
book store
grocery store
laundry mats
library
bowling alley
gym
traveling
doctors office
civic groups
school
parties
affinity club
coffeehouse
sporting groups
shopping
charties
public events
restuarants
public tansportation
hotel lobby
Guided of your own city
seminar/lecture
visit newspaper production
be apart of a live audience
tour a manufacture plant
antique shop
sports grill
Ngerian club
jazz club
Arboretium
sports event
karoki
cultrual center
comedy club
lounge
jamican resturant/club
open mik
community education classes
restaurants
poetry slams
book clubs
professional mixers (for one's individual career)
conferences
hobby meet-ups
Pool hall
shooting range
park
lake
air or ice hockey
movies
zoo
fishing
dance lessons
Horse races i.e. Kentucy Derby there you will find the RICH & FAMOUS!!

Now for those who find men at sporting events do ya go alone, or with other people?

I would figure if you go with a group of people men wouldn't approach you as much.

Not necessarily. It may be for black men that are into stereotypical "white" things, but are open to black women who are also into those things. A black man that grew up in a predominantly white area and went/goes to a predominantly white school and thus hangs out with mostly white people would feel comfortable around a black woman of a similar background.

I speak from experience of writing off a guy, thinking that he was into white and asian girls due to his background and friends. I swore he wasn't into black girls... until he started dating me:yep:. I don't ever want to make the mistake of looking past a perfectly good man because I made the assumption he wouldn't be attracted to me because of my race.

Lys

ITA with your post!

Here's a list of places to find them OR places to go on a date:

grocery store

:yep::yep:There is a Safeway grocery store in DC, that is known as THE PLACE to meet a mate.

I think that stepping outside of your box is a great way to meet people. Charity Events are another, grand openings of stores, restaurants, etc....

I go alone...b/c what do you do with your friend when a guy approaches you
they might not want to stand alone

Now for those who find men at sporting events do ya go alone, or with other people?

I would figure if you go with a group of people men wouldn't approach you as much.

i agree and I've really had to come to the conclusion that many black men are just looking for women ....white, black or other

Lys

:yep::yep:There is a Safeway grocery store in DC, that is known as THE PLACE to meet a mate.

I think that stepping outside of your box is a great way to meet people. Charity Events are another, grand openings of stores, restaurants, etc....

The semester is almost over.... maybe I need to go clothes shopping in DC/NoVA and find that Safeway :look:

Pickins are slim here :nono:

I think the key word here is "dateable".

I mean, there are men EVERYWHERE. You can walk down the street and trip over a man. :look:

But I'm taking about the intelligent, ambitious, respectful and honest men with good credit and preferably no kids (but one at the most).

Where are they? :lachen:

I think the key word here is "dateable".

I mean, there are men EVERYWHERE. You can walk down the street and trip over a man. :look:

But I'm taking about the intelligent, ambitious, respectful and honest men with good credit and preferably no kids (but one at the most).

Where are they? :lachen:

When you find out, please send out an APB!

I'm convinced that dateable men aren't allowed in the Orlando city limits...

Back