‘i Feel Betrayed.’ Husband Splitting His Estate — Should I Find Another Man?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
‘I feel betrayed.’ My husband is splitting his estate between me and his daughter — should I find another man?

Dear Moneyist,

My husband and I live in Minnesota. My husband’s only child lives in Tennessee with her husband and their daughter. They both have very good incomes. I am an only child and, when my parents die, I will have no family at all. When I married my husband, I assumed he and I were now a family and would always look out for each other.

I recently found out that he is leaving half of all his assets to his daughter and half to me. I have always had my husband as 100% beneficiary on all my assets. Now I feel like a third wheel and feel like he and I are not really family. I feel betrayed. The way I feel may be wrong, but it is still the way I feel. I am very depressed about this.

My parents are leaving everything to each other and, when they are gone, whatever is left will go to me. So it took me by surprise that my husband is not doing the same. And women with children that I work with are doing it that way also. They told me that if they found out their husbands were only leaving half to them and the other half to their kids, they would be very angry.

I can’t help but think that — even though I am now 63 — there may be a man out there looking for someone to marry and have as his family.

T.S.

Dear T.S.,

Your are equating your husband’s estate plans with his level of love for you. If he is only leaving you 50% of his assets, does that mean he loves you less? Even 50% less? Does that mean he doesn’t fully have your back? That might be how it feels now, but that doesn’t make it true.

One could argue you are doing exactly what you accuse him of doing: making money a barometer of how much you love each other. If you don’t receive 50% of his assets, does that mean you love him less? Even 50% less? Does that mean you don’t have his back anymore?

I frequently received letters from second spouses about their stepchildren’s inheritance. Some are more generous than others. But it’s not unusual for a husband or wife to leave his/her spouse a percentage of the estate and the rest to their own children. It also makes good sense.

If your husband died without a will, Minnesota intestate law would award you the first $225,000 of that intestate property and 50% of the balance. So you would actually fare better if he were to die without a will. But that’s why people make wills: to make sure their wishes are carried out.

It’s natural for a person to make sure their spouse is taken care of and won’t be left out on the street after they’re gone, and assuming that you will have enough money to live on and a place to live, I don’t see why he should make a choice between you and his daughter.

Looking for a new husband because you won’t receive 100% of your husband’s estate when he passes away strikes me as an overreaction, at best. What were your expectations going into this marriage? Did financial security figure into your decision to marry him?

Do you co-own the family home? If he bought that before you married and it’s only his name on the deed, will you have a life tenancy where you can live there — and, in the event you predecease his daughter, she would inherit it? These are fair questions to ask.

But this is also a good time to ask questions of yourself.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...d-another-husband-2020-01-13?mod=the-moneyist

This the second post you posted about some Susie-come-lately wife trying to have a man leave his own children nothing (not attacking you, just 2 times my blood pressure went up). Is she simple, comparing her parents leaving each other their complete assets that then get passed on to her, to her current situation? She's not her husband's daughter's mother, so it's not the same because she, as some I-just-got-here wife, is not looking out for the daughter's welfare. These selfish women kill me.

I'm glad the comments are roasting her :lol:

Last edited:
My FIL passed away a few years ago. My MIL remarried not long after. She's in her mid 70s. She didn't take her new husband's last name because her lawyer said that it would be easier for DH and his brother to get things done if she were to pass. She writes her husband's last name on Christmas cards and stuff, but she legally never changed it. Her power of attorney for health is DH, for finances is my BIL. And she is leaving nothing to her will for her new husband in the event that she passes before he does. Their marriage is more about having a companion as they age.

I would love to know what some of this man's assets are. Is he passing down land/real estate that has been in his family for years to his daughter? Is he passing down money in hopes of his daughter using it toward her own daughter's future education? Is the wife afraid she won't have money to survive if her husband passes away before her? What is her relationship like with his daughter (I already have my suspicions)? I suspect this woman will have more than enough to live a comfortable life with 50% of her husband's assets in the event of her husband's death. I think she has been competing with the daughter for her husband's affections since day one and this news of how he wants to divide his assets is a blow to her ego. Another man will not fix whatever is going on with this woman.

My FIL passed away a few years ago. My MIL remarried not long after. She's in her mid 70s. She didn't take her new husband's last name because her lawyer said that it would be easier for DH and his brother to get things done if she were to pass. She writes her husband's last name on Christmas cards and stuff, but she legally never changed it. Her power of attorney for health is DH, for finances is my BIL. And she is leaving nothing to her will for her new husband in the event that she passes before he does. Their marriage is more about having a companion as they age.

Same for my MIL. Like your MIL, my MIL married mainly for companionship.

Just curious. Whose house are they staying in? Seems like there'd be a provision for the surviving spouse so they aren't forced to relocate like life tenancy or owning real estate together.

What do you think is fair and how long have you been together?

My husband doesn’t have any children. I’m speaking hypothetically. What’s fair would depend on how much he has. Some money, some properties, some things of sentimental value to the adult child is appropriate, imo. But you’re not going to just split it down the middle, like we’re sister wives.

This the second post you posted about some Susie-come-lately wife trying to have a man leave his own children nothing (not attacking you, just 2 times my blood pressure went up). Is she simple, comparing her parents leaving each other their complete assets that then get passed on to her, to her current situation? She's not her husband's daughter's mother, so it's not the same because she, as some I-just-got-here wife, is not looking out for the daughter's welfare. These selfish women kill me.

I'm glad the comments are roasting her :lol:
I think the first lady had a valid question about that insurance policy. This one.....not so much. She trippin.

My husband doesn’t have any children. I’m speaking hypothetically. What’s fair would depend on how much he has. Some money, some properties, some things of sentimental value to the adult child is appropriate, imo. But you’re not going to just split it down the middle, like we’re sister wives.
When it comes to bio parents, I agree with the surviving spouse inheriting the bulk of the estate because 1. taxes but also regardless of who goes first, odds are their bio kids will end up inheriting from both parents whereas, I doubt that the majority of stepparents are leaving their stepkids the bulk of their estate. It happens and I know men who are dividing things equally in their wills between their bio children and steps but intuitively that's not the norm.

I also agree that fair depends on how much money we're talking about.

I don't have an issue with her expecting all of her husband(including his riches) especially if his child is grown with a family. I don't consider marriage an equal opportunity relationship and I wouldn't want to be married if I did. I also wouldn't want to be married to a person who put anyone else on equal footing or greater footing than me. I have plenty of biological family members that are wonderful but there is no way I would leave my spouse half and divide the rest amongst other relatives(no matter the value).There is no way I would leave any major asset I possess to a relative instead of my husband that wasn't mutually agreed upon. The other post was about a set amount for minors compartmentalized from the marriage. I consider this one different and offensive to his wife...like "yeah babe I love you so much that you can have half of what's left over". I wonder if she was a priority at any point or if it has been one compromise after another in her marriage at her expense. Her tone is a bit whiney as she compares her marriage to other people's and speaks about being an only child. That written tone makes it easy for her to get dumped on, but I am trying to focus on the point: she is his wife, his child is grown, and she has set aside all her assets to her husband. Now I am relatively considerate. If there was something special set aside for a special relative like a dollar figure... that's cool(it would be reasonable). If there is a legacy item that would be more appropriate to go to a specific blood relative instead of the spouse...that's cool too. If her mother is deceased and the reason she get's half is because part of the value comes from her mother...that makes sense. I would even go as far to say if there is a small non primary home that his daughter grew up in and he wants to leave her that while making sure the wife has the primary residence..okay but a blanketed half? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even leave our child whom we created together half if one of us passed and no one would question my decision to do that in my marriage but with blended families people act like you should be super accommodating just because the sex your spouse had with someone resulted in a child. Skip that! The older I get the more I appreciate my stepdad because everything a person does for someone else's kid is an act of kindness not a waiver to receive less than you deserve, be shortchanged or forfeit you right to be a the determining factor in situations related to your marriage. I remember how people used to just act like my stepdad was doing what he was supposed to do. No he wasn't. He was being amazing every time he did something he didn't have to. A child is not an equal partner in marriage.

Last edited:
Meh. Welp. The only way I would have a problem is if that decision left her destitute. Like if she has to sell the house and so on after his death to divvy up the proceeds with the daughter. But I don't see a problem with a second marriage which could've started say seconds ago versus a grown daughter, and a man dividing his estate to protect the interests of his wife and progeny.

I realize that marriage should have benefits, but again you need to make sure of these things when marrying because this is not a first marriage on his end. He has other responsibilities and probably came into this marriage with other debt too. You cannot act as if you are his only priority because his daughter will also be his priority regardless to if she married or not. This is why he needed to do this because wife was thinking only of herself (and I'm sure he knows this and made certain to step in and make his needs known). But this is something they should've spoken about yesterday! :rofl:
tenor.gif

Then if she did not like what he was about, she could've bounced versus pouting post marriage. And again, if she knew what he had, this may not be a problem. The man might be loaded for all we know.

She cannot compare a husband and wife of an only marriage who will leave everything to each other and then it will go to their children versus her set up. We know that second marriages are notorious for not so smooth transitions and relationships between new spouses and the children of former marriages. The way she made sure to "other" his daughter by saying "my husband's only child" instead of "my step child" or "our child (and to clarify) from hubby's 1st marraige" (etc) shows that she feels little to no affinity to the relationship. Who knows if she would sooner skip off with that money and leave daughter in the dust with nothing. Heck she's counting her money (talking about her job and so on) when her hubby seems to just want to give her generational wealth, not concerned with how much she has or doesn't have. I don't see the daughter even inheriting much, if anything when she dies (if all was given to her), after seeing the way she thinks of everything, nor do I see her giving a thought to his child. Thus, dude made certain to do so and that makes him a good father.

So anyways...yeah wife needs to get it together. Or else go marry a man without a family or a selfish man who only thinks of his new family (her) and kim. I say this with emphasis: Again as long as she's taken care of so it does depend on what he has. I always think wife, no matter how new, should inherit the house (and the means to take care of it) and there could be stipulation to have the daughter inherit it upon her death. All the other assets, divvying them up doesn't seem cruel to me if she's the second wife (you're getting the second hand spoils, know that going in because some of the other has a destination already). Which is why she should've considered everything. If he has a bigger estate, she's going to still make out super well and that might be acceptable to her. But again these are decisions you make before marriage to know that you feel taken care of and so on at the time you go down the aisle especially since he had a previous marriage and child.

Last edited:
Ultimately it is the persons wishes that count. It might seem unfair but better to have it legally documented so there is no confusion about what the person wanted.

She can choose to leave her money to charity? If she wanted to? Is it really tit for tat? Hmm stay in your lane and be glad you were even thought of to be left anything

I think the concern is that the step parent may not have a bond with the kids. Is she going to pass it to them when she dies? The idea that they're grown so they don't need or deserve anything is weird to me. Wealthy people leave inheritances to their kids all the time. It's never about need. More like love or birthright.

Just curious. Whose house are they staying in? Seems like there'd be a provision for the surviving spouse so they aren't forced to relocate like life tenancy or owning real estate together.

That's a good question. She's not my mother, so I'm always the one thinking about how things could/should play out.

So...my MIL started online dating maybe 3 months after my FIL's death (I posted about it before). She was LONELY after being married for 45 years. But the people that she kept communicating with were scammers. It was a big mess. She ended up having a mental break down and everything. But one of the things that she said was she needed to find someone quickly because she was getting old. So, when she met her new husband, I think she just went all in because he was someone she could have around.

My MIL is a millionaire (through real estate) and she married a man who is in his upper 70s and was still working a physically demanding blue collar job until he married her. Then he retired. She sold her newly built home (that she had only bought a year prior), they tore down her new husband's trailer because it was small, cluttered, and a mess, and she built and paid for a new house. It was all of her money. This is a relationship where he "borrows" money from her and pays her back. She actually said that she was only getting married because she didn't want to live with him without being married.

My FIL was an attorney. His best friend is an attorney and assisted my MIL with all of her paperwork. We have a copy of her will and my BIL does too. If my MIL were to pass first, I can guarantee that my husband and BIL would do nothing but help her husband. They wouldn't put him out. They'd make sure he was taken care of. We've all had conversations (DH, myself, BIL, and SIL) after her mental breakdown and all we want is for her to be happy and to have enough money to manage her medical care if she needs it as she gets older. None of us are concerned about her money. She can spend it as she sees fit.

I think the concern is that the step parent may not have a bond with the kids. Is she going to pass it to them when she dies? The idea that they're grown so they don't need or deserve anything is weird to me. Wealthy people leave inheritances to their kids all the time. It's never about need. More like love or birthright.

Who said that they don’t deserve anything? They don’t deserve HALF. That’s the issue.

The kid deserves more than half IMO. It would be different if she was the child’s mother, but this is the reality with second marriages. I would always want my child to be protected - have heard too many horror stories of people switching after funerals.

I'm pretty sure he did it this way to avoid the probability of her excluding his child upon his passing. Usually this is what I've seen with clients in subsequent marriages who want to provide for their children as a priority over their spouses.

On a related but slightly different note, one dude wanted to give his wife $200k and give his wife the remainder of his $220M estate. We had to let him know that wasn't going to fly under Florida statues protecting his wife's right to a larger share of his estate. This lady helped raised his son like her own child (the boy's mom is trash and is consistently trying to use her son to get money out of the dad). Sometimes wife 2 is trash and is sure to leave assets to her own dog if it means his kids don't get anything once she dies. Sometimes the first wife is so bad that a man is like let me look out for my child FIRST.

The idea that I could build wealth with my husband, die, and then he leave it all to some other woman who will leave it to her children while mine have nothing got me hot. Let me do a proper will. Right now my life insurance and retirement go to him, and they get it if he dies, but I'm not sure on the details. Better do what I can about this house, too.

Let me also call my father, lol. Who is considering getting married again but told me he wants me to have the house, just let her live there as long as she wants.

The factors that determine how people rank their children compare to anyone would offer good commentary in the

Parenthood Experience Thread

So would the factors that determine how people rank spouse if any of you ladies are willing to visit that one after posting here. I don't want to derail this one at all this is a good and separate discussion but I could sure use some of those opinions in the other thread of any of you ladies are interested in that one.

Who said that they don’t deserve anything? They don’t deserve HALF. That’s the issue.
My comment is in response to the Moneyist situation. The woman feels threatened because she’s not getting everything. My guess is she doesn’t have a bond with the daughter so I can see the spouse making sure the daughter is provided for. Whether that’s half is a conversation for the couple but honestly a lot depends on what you have when you marry and/or how long you’re together (something you won’t know until later).

I doubt I’d marry someone that expected me to not make provisions for my kids once I’m gone but if you never have the conversation you end up here.

I think it depends on the situation. In the OP it reads to me as though she hasn't been married that long to her husband. I say this because at 63, she is like, let me just grab another husband right quick who will give me %100 and she refers to her husband's child as her husband's daughter, rather than her step daughter which to me sounds as though she had no part in the raising of the daughter.

That said, in this particular scenario, I can see why the hubby divided his estate in half, which in this case sounds generous (especially if he has money).

Her own word choices make her sound like the kind of person who would not be generous to his daughter at all if she had it her way. She comes off as 'the world owes me' due to her life circumstances, and that she begrudges /jealous of his daughter because she is married , has good income and has a father who loves her.

However, I do see how she feels slighted because she left everything of hers to him. BUT since she has no kids of her own...? Maybe, since she does not have kids and was an only child, she cannot grasp having to share, much less share with her husband's child.

However, I do see how she feels slighted because she left everything of hers to him. BUT since she has no kids of her own...? Maybe, since she does not have kids and was an only child, she cannot grasp having to share, much less share with her husband's child.
I think she latched onto her husband as her family since she didn’t have anyone else and probably never had to consider the daughter (I’m assuming she was grown when they married.) She’s feeling betrayed because he didn’t do the same but it’s irrational. Even if the daughter doesn’t need it why shouldn’t she receive a nice chunk of what her mother helped build?

Back