Who should pay?

All I gotta say is don't start nothing you don't want to finish. If you go along with that bs it will be like that throughout the relationship. Dutch is cool for friends and broke college students. Equal rights my arse!!!! Who is going to be the head of household if ya'll going dutch after marriage?

Are you dating my ex-boyfriend? I think you should call off the date. Can you imagine what the future would be like with this guy? He'll be wanting you to pay for everything. He likely has a history of women spoiling him and paying for things. In my case, the guy's grandmother, mother, aunts and godmother gave him money all the time, and two of these women were in their 80s and 90s!

Which is exactly why I've decided to walk away from this one lol. I can't even lie he got me good this past weekend BUT I snapped out of it and shook my head at myself. He felt that just because he paid for all the dates in the past that this time the woman should help him...yea...ok...:rolleyes:if you don't want to spend money then you shouldn't be dating. If it was something small like buying the popcorn if we go to the movies I wouldn't mind, but how are you doing to ask me out and then expect me to pay

I don't do dutch, if I'm doing dutch then it's not a date IMO. It's just two friends hanging out. If a guy asks me out on a date, then i expect him to pay, and if he doesn't than it's just two friend hanging out. There is no middle in the beginning. Now if you really want to go out with him on a date, then ask him, and you pay for the entire date. I believe who ever asks out who, should pay for the whole date, unless two friends are just hanging out then each pay their own way.

the bolded is exactly how I feel.

All I gotta say is don't start nothing you don't want to finish. If you go along with that bs it will be like that throughout the relationship. Dutch is cool for friends and broke college students. Equal rights my arse!!!! Who is going to be the head of household if ya'll going dutch after marriage?

and I almost got sucked into it but I snapped out of it. He's 26, but is going to school fulltime and living off of what he gets from the VA and disability since he had cancer. He doesn't work and to my knowledge hasn't made any attempt to get at least a lil part time job for the 3 years he's been out. He's acting like I don't have bills to pay myself because I'm a fulltime pre-med student and I still work fulltime myself. He just seems stingy and doesn't want to pull his weight and me no likey:nono:

loveafterwar from what you stated he isn't on your level anyways. He sounds like a laze arse trying to work the system instead of actually working. Don't waste your time you sound like a go getter.

no offense, but this is not the point of equal rights for women. i think we should be careful to distinguish women's rights from basic chivalry and a gentleman's courting of a woman.

personally, i let a man court me, which means to me he's paying for the date he asked me on. do i have a problem paying for dates? absolutely not, but if a man insists after my offer to pay, i'll allow him to pay.

if we really wanna get technical, men still make more than us over our lifetimes in the same careers. that money can be used on my meal. ha. in all seriousness though, mellody hobson (chicago based financial advisor and el presidente de ariel investments) recently did a study that shows women spend more on average for dates than men. men usually drive and pay the bill. women tend to spend money on salon visits for hair and nails, new clothes and shoes for the event, shapewear, hair removal, lingere, etc.

so, let dude pick up the check. he'll be fine.

OK!! Folks think that because women aren't picking up the check that they aren't spending money on dates. My dress, shoes, makeup, and salon visit cost way more than what you spent on dinner, pal.:lachen:

MizAvalon said:
OK!! Folks think that because women aren't picking up the check that they aren't spending money on dates. My dress, shoes, makeup, and salon visit cost way more than what you spent on dinner, pal.:lachen:

Well he purchased a new outfit, cologne, shoes and a haircut....and maybe manicure. Now what? Lol.

No, just sit there all dainty and pretty and don't forget to say you had a great time.

This is what I did for my last date. I loved it. Some men want to pay, they want to open doors and take care of you. :yep: What a wonderful feeling to feel like such a girl. :grin:

But many of us don't let them court us. There are some lazy men out there so I really appreciate those that like to court and make you feel special.

This is what I did for my last date. I loved it. Some men want to pay, they want to open doors and take care of you. :yep: What a wonderful feeling to feel like such a girl. :grin:

But many of us don't let them court us. There are some lazy men out there so I really appreciate those that like to court and make you feel special.

Most don't even know what courting is though....for those who don't do you take the time to explain it to them or do you just consider it a loss and keep it moving?

Well he purchased a new outfit, cologne, shoes and a haircut....and maybe manicure. Now what? Lol.

New clothes for a date? Ya'll doing too muchy. :lol:

Most don't even know what courting is though....for those who don't do you take the time to explain it to them or do you just consider it a loss and keep it moving?

Some do have to be told exactly what you expect. If he doesn't know about courting buy him a book for reference. Hell he shoulda had irl examples but if he didn't you can school him. We show people how to treat us. You are the prize so don't be shy on dating expectations.

firecracker said:
New clothes for a date? Ya'll doing too muchy. :lol:

Some do have to be told exactly what you expect. If he doesn't know about courting buy him a book for reference. Hell he shoulda had irl examples but if he didn't you can school him. We show people how to treat us. You are the prize so don't be shy on dating expectations.

firecracker, I lie to you not, I dated a guy I was so into that every date I had on a new outfit, shoes and my hair freshly done. When I casually dated, it was nothing to go get a new 'fit for the date. Maybe not new shoes.

MizAvalon said:
He still spent less.:lachen:

Lol, so true.

I guess it really depends on the age range/generation. I could be wrong, but I don't think men age <40s know what courting is. In the age of casual dating, anything goes - Dutch, splitting the bill, etc.

I guess it really depends on the age range/generation. I could be wrong, but I don't think men age <40s know what courting is. In the age of casual dating, anything goes - Dutch, splitting the bill, etc.

It's pretty sad. That's why I used to prefer dating men 40+.

But of course there are exceptions. I went on a date Sunday evening. We drove separately and had to park in a parking garage. Of course he paid for the date but he also paid for the parking. I admit I was little surprised that a 34 year old would be thoughtful enough to do that.

greenandchic said:
But what if you're not planning on having any babies. :look:

I mentioned this in another similar thread here when the question of who pays for what came up. It seems the pregnancy/baby argument comes up a lot in this context. Not all couples are planning on having kids. Then what?

Then I say get it how you live. If you don't plan on kids and it's not a love language for you to have him pamper/ provide for you - then splitting the bill seems fine.

I just have a problem with men trying to be nontraditional until they expect you to be a traditional wife and mother. That's not fair and it's manipulative.

But two single professionals with no kids can define their own relationships without tradition cropping up - unless that is important to either one of you.

It's pretty sad. That's why I used to prefer dating men 40+.

But of course there are exceptions. I went on a date Sunday evening. We drove separately and had to park in a parking garage. Of course he paid for the date but he also paid for the parking. I admit I was little surprised that a 34 year old would be thoughtful enough to do that.

Bolded: This.

It is sad that its a surprise.

Then I say get it how you live. If you don't plan on kids and it's not a love language for you to have him pamper/ provide for you - then splitting the bill seems fine.

I just have a problem with men trying to be nontraditional until they expect you to be a traditional wife and mother. That's not fair and it's manipulative.

But two single professionals with no kids can define their own relationships without tradition cropping up - unless that is important to either one of you.

SelahOco

I have no problem with him paying for things, :lol: I just don't get the argument that because there might be kids in the future if you get married that should happen. Kids or no kids doesn't define weather I'm (or anyone) Is "traditional" or not. More than likely he will out earn me, he will be older, and I have a health/physical disadvantage to the point where we wont be the typical "professional couple" given I can't even work full-time at this point...

1. Ya'll better learn to look the other way when the bill comes. :grin:
2. If a man is stingy/doesn't want to share in the beginning - that's how he is.
3. I would like it better for a man to take me on a cheap but fun date than to have one take me to a nice place but we have to go dutch. Um no, that is not a date. I am liable to socialize a lot and may exchange numbers with someone else discretely if I am so inclined. :lachen:

This is even a question?
24b6zk4_thjpg-vi.gif

Don't be fooled ladies. These younger guys know what it takes to get a woman. They are just trying to get over and not man up. Older guys will try the same bs if you go for it.

allmundjoi dang you go girl!

SelahOco

I have no problem with him paying for things, :lol: I just don't get the argument that because there might be kids in the future if you get married that should happen. Kids or no kids doesn't define weather I'm (or anyone) Is "traditional" or not. More than likely he will out earn me, he will be older, and I have a health/physical disadvantage to the point where we wont be the typical "professional couple" given I can't even work full-time at this point...

I'm not saying that because a couple might have children, the man should pay for all dates.

My comments are in response to the idea that women's fight for equality negates the value of a man paying for dates, opening doors, etc.

A man paying for a date during courtship provides an intangible value that helps a woman decide whether or not she can trust a man to provide for her, care for her, put her first etc. Sure, we don't articulate it that way, but it makes you feel special that he wants to spend time with you and is willing to foot the bill to make sure that you have a good time.

When a man reduces courtship to an argument about a woman's "equal rights" the argument is faulty. Equal rights was about a lot of things, but equal rights does not effect the male/female relationship dynamic completely (or at all in my opinion).

The same man that makes you buy your own movie ticket, will marry you and split the bills with you. But does he cook? Does he make your plate and bring it to you? Does he do laundry? Does he clean the refrigerator? Does he mop? Do yall take turns doing this? Is it equal?

If the answer to all of that is yes, then let me know what happens when you have children.

Does he carry a child? Take maternity leave a from a job he loves? Breastfeed? Serve as primary caregiver? Have to ask for your "help" with the child? Return to work after 6 weeks and still do all of the above and pay his "half" of the rent? Do yall take turns doing this? Is it equal?

The equal rights argument does not hold up past paying the bill, imo. And I disagree that having children has no impact on how "traditional" a couple is. Children have a way of forcing certain traditional gender roles whether the couple likes it or not.

I'm just saying, for young women who feel like a man has a right to ask her to pay half because of women's rights....be careful buying into that reasoning, because it does not hold up.

The REASONING is faulty, IMO.

Men give women certain intangibles, but women do the same for men. There is a give and take there that warrants a man properly courting a woman (of that's an intangible that she values).

Last edited:
I'm in my 20's and have NEVER had issues with a man wanting to pay; no going dutch either :nono:. A lot of younger men want to play games, but if a woman makes it clear what she will and will not tolerate, then they will know that you are a woman who likes to be "chased" and won't fall for the okie doke

if we are going dutch then it is NOT a date to me. period. the evening will lose all potential romantic implication or outcome. it is instead an outing between two friends. i personally don't put up with that type of crap. for the most part, the guys i have dated have always paid no problem, but it has happened to me once where a guy who asked me out wanted me to pay for half. i did, but that was our first and last date. dude has the nerve to try and move in for a kiss too toward the end of the night. nope! never texted him or answered him again! i was raised very traditionally when it comes to this, and my parents taught me that these types of things are major clues as to what kind of a guy he is and how he will behave eventually long-term and in marriage.

as far as relationships and birthdays or whatever...it's a little different, i don't mind paying every once and a while. but definitely when it comes to dating:

going dutch = outing between friends

Last edited:
So my bff had a date this weekend. The guy asked her out. The bill came he took out his wallet, but to be kind she asked if he wanted to split check. He got a huge grin and sad "ok!!!!!!" , " ill get the tip".

Date was Friday, he called today and she is not returning the call.

I see her point, but then I look at it like she offered....

What do you ladies think?

Eta: op sorry for asking question in your thread

Last edited:
So my bff had a date this weekend. The guy asked her out. The bill came he took out his wallet, but to be kind she asked if he wanted to split check. He got a huge grin and sad "ok!!!!!!" , " ill get the tip".

I don't like games, so this whole situation is strange to me. Why offer to pay and then get upset about it. She should have just let him pay the way he initially intended.

I too don't get it. Why did she offer to pay if she really didn't want to pay?

Did you ask you that?

Well he paid for dinner (at TGI Fridays) but the next day he text talk bout he needed for 35 bucks to cover gas and dinner? :nono: I didnt respond.

First of all, i barely touched the dinner so he took it home for his brother.
I also thought that was pretty cheap of him.

I guess to " test" him, ladies ??

I didn't ask her... But she was angry that he was sooo happy not to pay git her meal, that we didn't go any further

Well he paid for dinner (at TGI Fridays) but the next day he text talk bout he needed for 35 bucks to cover gas and dinner? :nono: I didnt respond.

First of all, i barely touched the dinner so he took it home for his brother.
I also thought that was pretty cheap of him.

Girrllll lol no ma'am....That was almost similar to my dilemma. Wait...he willingly paid and then expected you to pay him back in a sense? We had brunch at this small spot that he invited me to and the meal was around $25 tops. I didn't make plans with him the next day and he basically invited himself to watch the game with me at Buffalo Wild Wings. I was going to go by myself regardless of what he was going to do. When he gets there he says,"Well since I drove out here and I paid last time, it's your turn to pay." :perplexed Boy bye I paid the $40 and left. I distaned myself and he couldn't take a hint so I was finally going to explain it to him and before I could get it out he say's he's gone and to hit him up when I'm talking about something.:rolleyes: He actually did himself a favor

Back