Votes: 488 30.5%
  • Bra Strap Length

Votes: 655 41.0%
  • Mid-Back Length

Votes: 314 19.6%
  • Tailbone Length

Votes: 59 3.7%

• Total voters
I cosider APL and longer to be long hair, although that's starting to change since I've been hanging out on this board. I also think that APL looks longer on some than on others. Heck, shoulder length hair looks longer on certain people than it does on others. I don't know why this is. Maybe full shoulder looks longer than partial shoulder. Who knows. My friend has BSL hair and it's never looked all THAT long too me. Where other ladies whose hair is actually a couple inches shorter appear to have longer hair than her. Maybe thickness and style choices can make one head of hair seem longer than another.

cheetarah1980 said:
I cosider APL and longer to be long hair, although that's starting to change since I've been hanging out on this board. I also think that APL looks longer on some than on others. Heck, shoulder length hair looks longer on certain people than it does on others. I don't know why this is. Maybe full shoulder looks longer than partial shoulder. Who knows. My friend has BSL hair and it's never looked all THAT long too me. Where other ladies whose hair is actually a couple inches shorter appear to have longer hair than her. Maybe thickness and style choices can make one head of hair seem longer than another.

Yeah, I think thickness/fullness makes a big difference in the appearance. Also, the person's height/torso length. Even the length of the person's neck makes a difference! I've seen people with long necks and shoulder length hair looks long on them :yep:

Before joining LHCF I considered bra strap hair long. Now that my hair has reached that length bra strap does not seem that long. Now I consider mid back length to be the beginning of long hair.

Hi, I'm new here but I've lurked for over a year now...
I voted midback length. For women with type 1 (ya know, white girls, Asian girls, etc) my standards are tougher because they have it so much easier! Bleach, blowdry, whatever, their hair seems to grow like weeds.

For sistahs anything from BSL onward is a definate achievement.

I said APL because in that past I couldn't even get my hair to shoulder length. My current hair length is in between shoulder length and and APL. It doesn't look long to me but other people (black people) say it is.

When I was just past shoulder length, I thought bra strap and beyond was long. Now that I am past bra strap myself, I think waist length and beyond is long.

pinkskates said:
Before joining LHCF I considered bra strap hair long. Now that my hair has reached that length bra strap does not seem that long. Now I consider mid back length to be the beginning of long hair.

Looks to me like your hair is past bra strap.

HoneyLemonDropQuote:
Originally Posted by pinkskates
Looks to me like your hair is past bra strap.
Hi HoneyLemonDrop,
My hair has recently gone past the end of my brastrap; but I have to press it bone straight to get it there; and that is a daunting task:)

pinkskates said:
Hi HoneyLemonDrop,
My hair has recently gone past the end of my brastrap; but I have to press it bone straight to get it there; and that is a daunting task:)

Well your hair looks beautiful. Keep up the good work.

HoneyLemonDrop
Quote:
Hi HoneyLemonDrop,

Well your hair looks beautiful. Keep up the good work.
Thank you. I love the meez in your siggy. Every time I see it it makes me smile:)

joyousnerd said:
Hi, I'm new here but I've lurked for over a year now...
I voted midback length. For women with type 1 (ya know, white girls, Asian girls, etc) my standards are tougher because they have it so much easier! Bleach, blowdry, whatever, their hair seems to grow like weeds.

For sistahs anything from BSL onward is a definate achievement.
Stick around LHCF for a while and black women with BSL hair and longer won't seem like such a miraculous achievement. BSL hair and longer is simply the result of good hair care practices, not necessarily a gift of genetics. Remember our hair grows just like any other race of people, but the coiliness requires different care and many black women have horrible hair habits that prevent them from growing hair down their backs. It's not cause our hair CAN'T get that long without some Herculean effort, it's because our hair WON'T get that long with constant blowdrying, hot curling, perming every 4 weeks, gunking up the hair with gel, grease, etc.

pinkskates said:
Quote:
Hi HoneyLemonDrop,

Thank you. I love the meez in your siggy. Every time I see it it makes me smile:)

Actually, it's not a meez, it's a painting I got from a website that has black love stuff. Everytime I look at it, I feel like I'm right there, lol.

cheetarah1980 said:
Stick around LHCF for a while and black women with BSL hair and longer won't seem like such a miraculous achievement. BSL hair and longer is simply the result of good hair care practices, not necessarily a gift of genetics. Remember our hair grows just like any other race of people, but the coiliness requires different care and many black women have horrible hair habits that prevent them from growing hair down their backs. It's not cause our hair CAN'T get that long without some Herculean effort, it's because our hair WON'T get that long with constant blowdrying, hot curling, perming every 4 weeks, gunking up the hair with gel, grease, etc.

Well said. Since coming to LHCF, my mindset regarding Black hair has totally changed...for the better. Not in a million years would I have thought that my hair type (4b) COULD get this long (BSL). Now, waistlength, here I come.

I'd have to say between midback and waist, because after doing some searches online I've seen some ridiculously long lengths, that make me feel nearly bald... like this for example :eek:
long-hair-2.jpg

KiniKakes said:
Yeah me too (actually Mid-Back length for me).

BUT this has only happened since joining LHCF and since my hair has gotten longer. In the past, I think i viewed APL as long.... and then BSL as long..... I notice that the longer my own hair gets, the higher I raise the bar. :ohwell: So my "standards" for what qualifies as long hair has gotten increasingly more rigid/stringent! :lol:

Me too! I have to say Mid-Back is long to me. Another thing is that a weave/lacefront/braids etc. at mid-back length or longer doesn't look long at all to me. I guess it's because I know the hair isn't real. But when you know the hair is real, and most of the hair reaches the longest point (mid-back), it definitely looks longer.

Hair health also makes a big difference. Someone could be at BSL or MBL, but if their ends are damaged it doesn't really look long to me, because all I can see is how much they need to cut off!:look:

blueabyss333 said:
Me too. But it also depends on how tall the person is.:)
IMO, this is true too. I'm 5'11" so BSL on me could easily be WL on someone 5'2"...definitely makes a difference.

Energist said:
I'd have to say between midback and waist, because after doing some searches online I've seen some ridiculously long lengths, that make me feel nearly bald... like this for example :eek:
long-hair-2.jpg

That's not long... its ridiculous.

The salon I went to prices vary by hair length. Short-$15, medium-$20 and long-$25. They charged me $20. According to them, long hair begins at MBL.

MBL but it depends on the person and how long their neck and torso is for me to make an accurate judgement of whats long.

SouthernTease said:
That's not long... its ridiculous.

lol, yes I know! I was in shock when I saw that, but it made me realize how much hair can actually grow. I don't know about Black hair, but anything is possible. I'd personaly only want mine to waist length, anything further is asking for a headache!

I am tall so APL looks pretty long on me (esp. since I have a THICK head of hair) But of course my aim is for BSL! :)

Right now I am about 3 inches from APL :p

I know this sounds weird but it depends on the hair to me.

For example, my hair type in natural form anything BSL or longer is long to me.

For other hair types I think tail bone or longer. Don't ask my why, the only thing I can determine is that I have seen other hair types long most of my life but my hair type it has been just in the last few years I have seen as what I would considered long.

The majority of those I have seen as natural with very kinky coily hair the longest in length has been around BSL or MBL.

Weird huh!?:eek:

I originally said mid-back, but I'm changing my vote. BSL is long enough, especially on anybody with a short torso.

000_2004-vi.jpg

Yeah me too (actually Mid-Back length for me).

BUT this has only happened since joining LHCF and since my hair has gotten longer. In the past, I think i viewed APL as long.... and then BSL as long..... I notice that the longer my own hair gets, the higher I raise the bar. :ohwell: So my "standards" for what qualifies as long hair has gotten increasingly more rigid/stringent! :lol:

Now that I have reached APL(barely, but I'm claiming it :)),personally,I don't consider my hair long until BSL...but I notie that people at work,my SO,friends/family consider my hair to be long...

Kini u live in BK, some u KNOW the average woman u see around here has either a short cut,braids,weaves,or SL hair...to see a woman with hair down her back (APL, BSL...and beyond) is rare! As a teenager I thought SL was long,go figure! Maybe it was bcuz mine was barely SL at the time...my good friend has MBL hair (grew it out from SL)...she literally stops traffic when she crosses the street...lol...she saw this site with so many women with MBL,that she now wants TL...lol...so u r right,the bar continues to be raised ...did I mention I love your hair? Keep up the good work ;)

Back