So when do YOU consider hair long?

Hi ladies, just saying hey! I feel like I've seen this topic mentioned before but oh well! :lol:

I just wanted to take a consensus and see what you guys consider as 'long'. My sister and mom are convinced I have long hair and hair anorexica (I'll load a picture later...work was tiring today! -whew-:spinning:)

But then again, I find most fellow African Americans (I hate generalizing...:ohwell:) consider SL long...

Everytime I cowash 'too often' my mom will give me the 'you are not your hair' speech and 'you should be happy with the length you have' :naughty:

My mom's length is apl, but I think if she practiced the LHCF's techniques her hair should be at LEAST mbl :yep:

But imo bsl and beyond is long :yep: and I feel 'universally long' is mbl. So what do you ladies think? When is hair long? :grin:

BSL for us.
But I must admit, my idea of long for other races is not BSL, midback length for "others". I've never actually thought of it until this thread, I guess it's based on what I am used to seeing. But I have a white coworker whose hair is about BSL and I don't think of her hair as being LONG whereas when I see a black chick with BSL length hair I think of her as having long hair. Just my perception.

APL. I don't know what world people live in but APL is a lot of hair. Seeing hair in real life is completely different than looking at pictures.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

I also resent the stereotype that anyone that has less than what one would consider long can't grow their hair.

There are some people that are fine, confident and want shorter hair.

Full, healthy hair past shoulder-length is long to me. I guess I'm a "typical African-American." I've been on this site for years and it hasn't changed my perception.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

I think APL is long.

And white salons do too lol. Don't be fooled. Some of "their" salons charge more for their services past shoulder length.

Race is not a factor for me with length. APL on anyone I'd consider long.

diadall I've noticed that too. I'm just like when did life turn into a constant hair growing marathon?

I also resent the stereotype that anyone that has less than what one would consider long can't grow their hair.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

I also think you have to take your statement turn it around and see if you agree.

If you think BSL or longer is long that means you consider anything shorter than BSL as short hair. That makes no sense to me, IMO.

I agree with that :yep: If you're fine at shoulder length then rock it. But I also don't like how brothas-- will see a sisters @ shoulder length and talk about how we 'can't grow our hair out' :nono:

I know it's trivial, but if I had a dollar for everytime I heard something like that...

Anyways guys aside, I feel like we should wear whatever length we want :yep:

My ideal of what it long changes every year the longer my hair gets. I used to think beyong sl was long. When I reached that, I thought, apl and beyond. Now that I'm apl I think bsl would be considered long. And I'm betting that when I get to bsl, I will change my answer to mbl.

I also think you have to take your statement turn it around and see if you agree.

If you think BSL or longer is long that means you consider anything shorter than BSL as short hair. That makes no sense to me, IMO.

Nope, can't say I agree there. Bsl is when I see 'long', that doesn't mean I see everything else as short. APL is clearly a milestone when it comes to length.

If I think of long hair as 'black', and short hair as 'white'...then there's still multiple shades of gray. :yep:

OP, it doesn't matter how many threads ask this same question, I love discussing this topic! lol. Its funny bc when you look at this question asked in threads that started during the infancy of this board seems like everyone was saying APL. I've seen some recently where people say not until MBL or WSL...which I think is funny but good in a way, means our standards as black women are raising as more and more of us realize we CAN have long hair!

As for me, my answer hasn't changed...BSL is long hair to me. I think my personal hair anorexia sets in because I probably won't feel MY bsl hair is long...even though I do on other people. But I agree with ImanAdero, that for other races APL+ is considered long. I've gone to a beauty school and the white girl who did my hair remarked more than a few times that she had never rollerset hair SO LONG before, and my hair was just barely APL. Recently the white lady who trimmed my ends remarked that my hair was very long. Made my day both times! :lol:

I reluctantly say BSL. But I'm just about there and I don't feel like my hair is "long long", y'know? Like, I'll be really saying "Wow I have long hair" when it's waist length.

Full shoulder length...Eh, full anything will do (esp apl). But long, long? I would say hair covering the breasts.

I reluctantly say BSL. But I'm just about there and I don't feel like my hair is "long long", y'know? Like, I'll be really saying "Wow I have long hair" when it's waist length.

Lol Yep, I feel like there's different magnitudes of long. BSL for me is long, then MBL is like long 2x and waist length is like long 3X :lol:

Full BSL on other women, Full MBL on me. And this is in REAL life, not just on the hairboards. I used to think APL or longer was long back when I had APL hair and everyone fawned over how long my hair was. My perception changed as my hair got longer.

I guess BSL for others (or FUll APL).

I know I keep feeling mine isn't as long as I think until I take a pic. So I know I'm delusional lol!

I consider bsl for myself to be long and apl on anyone else. My coworkers think my hair is long and it is apl now. I have always thought apl was long all my life on any race.

Sent from my Vortex using Vortex

Back