Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Twistout on the weekend...better quality pics in the Everyday Thread if you're interested.

twistout.jpg

Last edited:
I want to flat iron my hair soooo bad but im scurred.:perplexed I need a change. I'm just checking in. I've been bunning 95% of the time.

I sprayed my twists with aphogee gren tea keratin reconstructor, put a baggy on half of my head and tied it with a scarf...I'm so loving twists :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Had to cowash the braids yesterday after Zumba and Cross Fit. They felt so GROSS and my scalp was a hot sweaty mess. I'll probably have to cowash twice a week now with this new workout schedule I got going on,but I hate that they get fuzzy so damn fast!

Sent from my Android...Boom.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
I wear mostly twist and twist outs.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
I only wash every 2 weeks in the shower. I have not been deep conditioning. I will let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes before I wash.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
I'm Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Longer and healthier hair

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days?
I will restyle after 3 days; wash and restyle

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

These are my twist. I twist my hair on 09/29/2012. They are pinnned in an updo. My hair is thin to me. The only way I can make them look full is blow dry it straight and mini twist. Didn't have time for all that this time. So I did big twist and pinned it up. Here are some pics. Thanks.

th_IMG_1063.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

one side of my hair is longer than the other. Maybe oneday the left side will catch up.

I wear mostly twist and twist outs.

I only wash every 2 weeks in the shower. I have not been deep conditioning. I will let the conditioner sit for 30 minutes before I wash.

I'm Natural

Longer and healthier hair

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days?
I will restyle after 3 days; wash and restyle

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

These are my twist. I twist my hair on 09/29/2012. They are pinnned in an updo. My hair is thin to me. The only way I can make them look full is blow dry it straight and mini twist. Didn't have time for all that this time. So I did big twist and pinned it up. Here are some pics. Thanks.

th_IMG_1063.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

one side of my hair is longer than the other. Maybe oneday the left side will catch up.

I have the same problem, one side grows faster than the other!

Good morning everybody (west coast time).

It looks like we are styling and profiling. YAY

rsmith :welcome:. Got you on the list. Your hair looks plump to me.

Hi BranuSugar baby. That lil smile of yours makes me smile. BraunSugar what do you do for fuzzies? You co-washed and you don't have them. Thanks for sharing.

Prettycoach :love3: what you said about acceptance. I feel the same way.

bajandoc86. Thank you for the pic. Running over to the everyday thread to see the others.

nickmack. YAY! Doing a dance for you...just love this guy

GIFSoup

Last edited:
Ladies, how do you cope with your hair when exercising 5 days a week!
I don't really want to cowash daily, too cold! Any tips!

I need to know this too. The only time I sweat like a pig is when I do Jillian :rolleyes:. On Monday night, I pinned my twists straight back and tied on a hair net, and just rinsed with water in the shower. Felt really good! Let them dry, about 75% using a t-shirt and turbie twist, and then did a lil baby bun :look:.

Last night was another sweaty night, so just let the steam from the shower "freshen" them, and put them in 2 side twists after it dried.

I'm washing today and already thinking about how it's going to go down next week with the sweat :perplexed.

@MeowMix After I cowash, I wrap my hair in a microfiber turban (got it from Dollar Tree) for 30 minutes. After that I put my hair in my satin pocket bonnet and went to bed. I use this one:

51wH2MFJn5L.jpg

My braids actually get to fall naturally and not be bunched up like they would in a normal bonnet.

The only part of my hair that is fuzzy is the hairline and that is because it's growing back from post-partum shedding. It's a bunch of 1.5 inch coils right now. I'm not even trying to really smooth it down. It lays down a bit from being tied down, but other than that it does what it wants.

@BraunSugar I absolutely cosign on that pocket bonnet!!! I have one and I've been on the hunt for more...I always called it a sock cap:perplexed so I could never find it online...you're a good woman now I can buy it on amazon:grin:

g.lo

I hear great things about the bondiband http://www.bondiband.com/categories/HEADBANDS/ but any wide moisture wicking band will do as well.

On top of that you can use put your hair in a ponytail and use an antifungal or antiseptic oil as a scalp cleanser. An astringent oil will help with the itches to top it off. When I used to workout 6 days/week I used to do that only have to cowash twice a week.

my hair on my last wash day.. :) I like :grin: time to take my current twists out and redo it all over again :yep:

Attachments

• 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 31
Hi! Its High Aspirations! I'm a little late but I hope I'm welcome. I'm new to the whole twists thing

2 Strand twists!

Just the GHE Method and co-washing every other day ( Lightly of course)

I am 6 months natural1

I hope to keep my hair healthy through the winter and to attain massive growth

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
Mine is actually like 5 days o_0 I'm too busy to redo them like that

6. Include Starting Pic.
I posted to ugly ones showing the style, but of course I had to redeem myself with a cutie pie pic

image-1965405064.jpg

image-1824910215.jpg

image-711783183.jpg

Wow! Lots of activity in this thread these days, so great to see! Welcome to all the new challengers and welcome back to those continuing on. Hope protective styling brings us everything we are hoping for…. :yep:

I took my twists out to wash and have not put them back in yet so I've been bunning this week. For variety the other day I stuck some decorated chopsticks in the back of my hair. My students were commenting on my hair all day, and I wasn't sure why…. Until I took the pictures I did not realize how crazy it looked! :lol:

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.09 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.09 #2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.10.jpg
    Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.10.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.11 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2012-10-02 at 13.11 #2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 31
Tibbar I don't see any crazy at all. I like it!

I saw Nonie posted this visual in another thread two years, so I stole it for people looking for more protective style inspiration:

I wouldn't do it daily. Vaseline seems to stay on so I don't understand the need to keep reapplying every day. I did it once to my twists. Applied S Curl to the entire length of twists and Vaseline at the ends. The ends looked whitish but I didn't let that scare me. I then put my hair up and baggied for the night and the next day just added a clip:

HairClip-vi.jpg

My hair was fine. It looked OK and felt OK. Since I baggy, the addition of products to a head that is usually bare felt a bit smothering TO ME, so my next experiment is just applying S Curl and Vaseline to ends before putting them away. After I washed my hair, I applied just S Curl to ends before styling my hair. I sorta liked that, but I want to get serious about sealing my ends hence the plan to use S Curl AND Vaseline on ends only. I like the length of my twists bare. I'm sure having some product would be good for it, but I.Just.Don't.Like.It!

Speaking of which, I need to add something lubricating to my ends and probably give myself a scalp massage. I'm enjoying my last week of 'out' buns until it's time for my twists to come back next weekend.

Thanks for tagging me in this thread! Grad school is kicking my butt! I am not on here as much as I used to be... I am debating if I should rejoin this challenge because I've been lazy this past week.

hmmm

i think im going to braid my hair this weekend.

i wont re-do them midweek like i do other styles, but i will rinse & condition and such.

im going to make them medium sized so it's easy & quick to remove...will only have them in for a week. i usually redo my protectives midweek, but for this...i'll keep it in for a full week. will still rinse & condition them, though.

will probably do it on sunday.

Tibbar I like it!

I did a simple 'roll, tuck & pin' updo with a pompadour bang thingy :look:
Excuse the early morning face....I did this like 5 mins after I rolled out of bed.

photo-135edit.jpg

Two-strand twisted my hair last night for the first time in about 9 months??. Going to rock those a few days, then twistout. After my twistout, I'll shampoo (first time in about a month) and deep condition and probably re-twist. It got cool quickly here, so I am giving the wet buns a break.

Morning ladies,

Last night was wash day. I had my hair in a twist out for two days. I cowashed with Hair One then detangled my hair with Trader Joes nourishing spa conditioner. Love love love it. Then DC with Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Treatment for 45 minutes. I used Kimmaytube leave in and Shea butter to twist my hair. I will leave my hair like this until either Thursday or Friday wash day. Yahhh.

Said I wasn't going to bun again until Sunday but I'm back. Came up with this loose sorta messy bun to give the illusion of fuller hair. SoI just pinned and kinda arranged. All the ends are safely tucked in.

image-1341179446.jpg

image-2636378167.jpg

Back