Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

IMFOCSD :poke: You've been posting beautiful styles for several weeks now and I couldn't quote them so please, please, please add them to the thread! kthanx

@WELCOME jesusislove1526!! :hiya: You have gorgeous hair. It's so thick. I wish my braids could look like yours.

Reading Nonie's posts for years has made me anal about my ends as well but I truly see it paying off. Daydreaming about DCing and retwisting on Thursday :). any of you ladies dabble in coffee or tea rinsing? I lurk in that challenge thread but still don't really get what the benefits are!
I agree with EVERYTHING here PYT! Lol. My two-week mark is on Friday and I've been daydreaming about Thursday/Friday for a DC and some retwisting :drool: Not sure how that's going to work out with my workload, though! I've also read almost all of Nonie's posts about ends and I've learned lots - definitely more vigilant now than before and completely at ease with the idea of dusting _ yea much.

I was having some serious shedding a few months ago. I did a coffee rinse and - not sure if it's my imagination but - the shedding slowed, and then stopped! :yep: So, who knows, it's worth a shot if shedding is an issue for you. I know the caffeine in coffee/black tea is supposed to help with regulating the production of DHT which can cause shedding/thinning/balding. I hope I got that right... :look:

Welcome to all new challengers! We're getting quite the full house over here! :grin:

NappyNelle said:
@IMFOCSD :poke: You've been posting beautiful styles for several weeks now and I couldn't quote them so please, please, please add them to the thread! kthanx

@WELCOME @jesusislove1526!! :hiya: You have gorgeous hair. It's so thick. I wish my braids could look like yours.

Aww thanks @NappyNelle I most certainly will post pics :) you have inspired me to keep going with twisting my hair because I was ready to give up smh lol. I was getting kinda discouraged and feeling like nothing will help me get to my goal. My ends are on the thin side from me blowdrying/flatironing but I will keep going with this challenge...I actually love twists.

IMG_20120923_222228-1.jpg

IMG_20120925_210904-1.jpg

IMG_20120917_202959-1.jpg

IMG_20120920_013911-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_221134.jpg

ForumRunner_20121003_221352.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Nix08 ! I think I will brew a pot of coffee or steep some black tea and try it out soon. My shedding is not too bad but I'm always down for some extra moisture!

Leslie_C Girrrrl, IDK how tomorrow's looking after all lol. I work nights so by the time I get home tomorrow morning I know I'm going to sleep til noon at least then I'm right back at work Friday soooo maybe I'll wait for the weekend :) OH! And I signed up for the beauty bag! Not sure if make up is in it...i don't wear make-up :look: but I will gladly forward my contents on to others who could use them!

IMFOCSD I love your twists...that is all.

jesusislove1526 Welcome to our board and to the challenge! May the retention be with you lol

Victoria44 GIMME DAT BUN! :lol: beautiful!

Ok that's enough spamming for now lol

NappyNelle No worries! :)

Leslie_C Sure thing! I keep it fairly simple-I've used black tea, green tea, and herbal teas. I just let them steep longer than I would for a cup I'd drink. If I want it strong, I'll use more than 1 tea bag; however for most of my spritzes I just make one-one and a half cup of tea, let it cool and add it to my spray bottle, along with additional water. When I do rinses, I don't add the extra water.

I use teas on both my scalp and the length of my hair. This peppermint mix I used before was particularly tingling and my scalp delighted in it! On the length, I'll use it as a replacement for plain h2O and seal with an oil/butter! :) HTH!

My braids were up under a scarf today-and yesterday as well. They're not fuzzy, but they are trying to make me look like Woodstock. :look: I plan to DC tomorrow if I don't get to it tonight and make it an overnight treatment.

afrofaithful lol thank you, your hair looks thick in your avatar!

MeowMix :yep:its definitely exciting! and thank you!

Leslie_C thanks and YES, bunning will make the times in between twist styles sooo much easier! :grin:

Froreal3 Thanks! My hair is actually low/medium density :/ I yearn for thicker hair! All I do is fluff and fluff and fluff for fake thick hair :lol:

PYT lmao thanks, but i'm sorry you can't have it :lol:

Does anyone use butters or heavy creams on their twists? How is that working; how do you apply (what order)? Are you able to wash it out easily? Is your hair still getting moisture?

For those interested in the teas...I've fallen in love with most teas for the reasons I mentioned up thread. The way I use them are as follows:
1) I use them under my DC (I dry DC so) I dampen my hair with my spritz and I'm also particular about spraying them on my scalp. I then apply conditioner over top and DC as I choose (steam/cap?nothing)
2) I do a mid cowash rinse....by squeezing out excess water from my hair, pouring tea over my hair then applying (oils for an oil rinse) and conditioner, put a cap on then go about my shower duties.
3)Leave in/final rinse....after I've thoroughly rinsed out #2, I pour a mix of 1:1 tea and avj...squeeze out the excess, wrap my hair in a towel, then apply leave ins and oil.

I did all of the above for several months before adding the teas in the last 2-3 months. My observations from upthread are since introducing teas (that's been the only change).

Don't think I'm crazy as it doesn't take a lot of time either to prep the blends listed below that I steep for about 1 day (or sometimes just 2 hours) or to pour them over my head. I use about 1/2 a teaspoon of loose leaf .

DC is what I use in #1, R is what I use in #2 and F is what I use in #3. The notes are what I have on my phone as my quick reference as to what the teas mainly do...of course a google search will give you tons more info:grin:

DC - Hibiscus/sorrel. (Colour, moisture, scalp)
DC - Marshmallow root and powder (moisture)
DC - rosemary (stimulate)
DC - Fenugreek(shine, smooth cuticles, strength)
DC - Burdock (growth, stimulate)
DC - thyme (shine, thinning)
DC - Fennel (shedding,enviro protection)
DC - Green
DC - Catnip (split ends, moisturizer)

R - amla (cleanse) - use sparingly
R - bhringaraj (moisture)
R - Nettle (grow, thicken)
R - Saw palmento (growth)
R - Lavendar(stimulate)
R - Horsetail,(strengthen, smooth, stimulate)
R - Rosehip (colour)
R - Catnip (split ends, moisturizer)

F - Roobois (growth, shine)
F - Fenugreek (shine, smooth cuticles, strength)
F - Marshmallow root (moisture, slip)
F - Slippery elm (moisture, slip)
F - Malva
F - Moringa (shine)

Sorry for the super long post....for those interested I thought I'd put as much info as I could.

ETA: I don't use Black tea but many do and enjoy it...I would suggest using a moiturizing DC with it as it could be drying.
Coffee is amazing too...I just love drinking it too much
Many of the teas are available in bag form (loose leaf allows me to be more stingy:look: I buy all my teas from health food stores). The bhringaraj and amla are powders that I make a tea out of because I don't have the time necessary to properly rinse to get all of the paste out of my hair:nono:
One warning: if you are using teas with caffeine (black, green) and you are sensitive to caffeine don't use them close to bed time:giggle:

Last edited:
Fhrizzball Have you tried putting your hair in a puff and fanning your hair around the base and pinning (like a mushroom), or wrapping in a clockwise or counter clockwise circle and pinning? This gives the illusion of a full bun even on short to medium length hair.u

LaFemmeNaturelle welcome and nice twists!

jesusislove1526 Welcome to the board and welcome to the challenge! Your hair looks really long stretched so you must have been doing something right! Id be bald by now if I never found LHCF years ago *shudder* lol. I used to relax root to tip, blow dry and curl my hair with a curling iron daily when I was a teen! It was horrible.

IMFOCSD Welcome! Your hair looks so lush! How do you get it so smooth and shiny for your twists?

Nonie can you point me to some threads on ends...would love to have some of your edumucation dropped on me lol.

Nix08 thanks so much for your detailed post on teas....I think I need training wheels lol. Ill start simple just to test it out...but I need moisture so I need to pick one of those. This is a dumb question, but when you say powders do you mean you just pour the powder in the water?

PYT I dont think the bag has makeup, just a few skincare/haircare type samples. I like getting stuff in the mail, ok??? LOL.

MaraWithLove thanks for the tip...I just put some peppermint essential oil in my vitacost cart....sounds so soothing and refreshing.

virtuenow I used shea butter as I twisted after I applied my leave in and air dried 80%...I used a little shea on each section as I twisted. My hair was very moist for days! Every day Id lightly mist with water and pat(not rub lol) a little coconut oil and my hair still felt very soft even after a week.

Here is my southern tease bun for today...I got a cute new peacock hair clip for a coupe bucks off amazon. You can't see the whole thing in my hair though....wish it was bigger but I like it.

Attachments

• IMAG1232-vi.jpg
    IMAG1232-vi.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG1233-vi.jpg
    IMAG1233-vi.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Nix08 Thanks so much for the tea on tea. I think I will try a tea for the final rinse...something for moisture and strength. I'm literally laughing out loud at the prospect of me putting sorrel on my head. I'd probably just want to drink it instead.

Victoria44 You couldn't tell by looking at those photos. I need to try fluffing more then.

I need/want a new twisting butter. I want to try twist outs every now and then instead of just rollersets and curlformers. I could just never find anything that I felt gave me good results.

I want to try a flat twist out tonight. I have a work thing tomorrow so I'm skurred lol but I really want to give it a shot. All I have at home is Shea Moisture curl enhancing cream.

Her twist out is just perfect..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltbbj4ajyM

Aww thanks @NappyNelle I most certainly will post pics :) you have inspired me to keep going with twisting my hair because I was ready to give up smh lol. I was getting kinda discouraged and feeling like nothing will help me get to my goal. My ends are on the thin side from me blowdrying/flatironing but I will keep going with this challenge...I actually love twists.

Wow, what a compliment! Thank you IMFOCSD! You would never know you were having problems with your ends; I'm glad you're enjoying your twisted styles because they are beautiful!

Does anyone use butters or heavy creams on their twists? How is that working; how do you apply (what order)? Are you able to wash it out easily? Is your hair still getting moisture?

virtuenow I do! Since the bulk of my products are natural, they wash right out without any gunk or much effort.

My favorite method is to apply an oil based cream on damp hair and allow to air dry in braids. If I use a water based cream/butter, I like to use it on damp hair, air dry in braids, then seal with hemp seed oil after I've finished twisting. I refresh my hair during the week with a spritz and I like to add castor oil or a butter on my ends for the extra protection. My hair seems very moisturized when I use either of these methods and refresh as needed.

Wow we've got teas, new friends, new styles, snaps, Frugal Finds and Nonie Advice....oh my. Thanks everybody.

IMFOCSD & jesusislove1526 :kewlpics: Welcome, got you in here.

Nix08 cosigning with Leslie_C & Froreal3. Thank you for break down on teas. Will be printing:). Leslie_C, thanks for the find and that is a really pretty pin.

MaraWithLove ...Woodstock :giggle:. I hear you. You are on target with that DC.

tapioca_pudding. Thank you for this, I'm going to check it out. Have fun with your twist out.

nickmack 'full house' IKR. It's exciting. :lots:

Thanks Nonie co-signing with NappyNelle 's title

Last edited:
Ok you guys are quite the cool and supportive bunch:yep:...for that reason alone I'm going to join this challenge:yep: I've been wearing buns anyway so that I'm not regularly length checking:look:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? Buns
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Cowash daily, with tea, oil and avj rinses, loose bun for bed
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Relaxed
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Allow my hair to retain length by preserving my ends.
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 2 days max.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
Nix08.jpg

Hey Nix08. You've been giving us such good information, I thought you were already in here. Just made it 'official' & updated the list. What a pretty bun. :welcome3:

:giggle: You mean I could have passed without having to add a pic:lachen:

I'm official now :yay: Before I was just sharing my passion for tea and trying to gain challengers for IDareT'sHair 's Tea/Coffee thread:look:

Hi all,

i am Gaby, i am a daily manipulator and want to cure myself!:grin:
count me in for the challenge.

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?

2 strands twist 90 % of the time and bunning

2. What is your style maintenance regimen
?
wash, dc once a wek and twist straight away

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
natchal

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

keep my hands off my hair, retention and volume

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after 2 days or 3 days?
wear hair out for a day, wash and retwist

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

wash day was today so this a fresh pic

Attachments

• 04:10:12.jpg
    04:10:12.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 43
I'm checking in BRIEFLY only because I'm SO happy :yay:
I took down my twists today (hi PYT! lol...no DC for me, but everything was so moist, supple and happy I didn't see the need to do it!) AND.... *drumroll* I'm CBL y'all!!!!!!!!

I cowashed my braids last night. They "plumped" slightly but still look good. Next week I'll do an actual wash on them.

ETA: pic

washed-braids.png

Say hi to my son on the left :lol:

Last edited:
Dusted the ends of my twists tonight. But why did it take 45 mins to get them back in an updo?They would not cooperate. I got about 50-11 hair pins holding these things up.

Planning to wash & DC tomorrow and re-twist.

Back