Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

@-PYT I have a tried a black tea rinse, but of course I did it all wrong. :lol: Many people are decreasing their shedding by using tea/ herb/ coffee rinses as the last rinse after conditioning or shampooing. @IDareT'sHair has gotten her shedding to be normal amounts, and @Nix08 is experiencing better moisture retention. Someone else said that she doesn't get as many tangles at the line of demarcation.

If you make an herbal spritz for your hair, you will experience similar things, depending on the tea or herbs you use. I think I'll stop trying to be a mixtress and just use my Oyin spritzes with extra rosemary and peppermint.

@BraunSugar That is talent to me. You could make wigs as your side hustle if you wanted/had the time to.

@NappyNelle is right:yep: If you are considering or planning to tea rinse don't wait:nono: I was happy with my hair but wanted something else to do 'just because' plus I thought the tea rinses would maybe stimulate my growth (I don't do anything for that). The main observations I've found are:
_Despite thinking that I had minimal shedding, tea rinsing has decreased it by half.
_Although I thought my hair has shine talk about *bling* now...someone even asked me what I do to get the shine in my hair.
_I believe that some breakage is expected and was ok with the minimal breakage that I had especially since I normally finger detangle...lately I've been using my comb and low and behold ...practically NO breakage. (except when I get a little rough:look:)
_Moisture well that goes without saying
_Ease of detangling (yup)
Honestly tea rinsing just takes things to another level...the various teas all have attributes that we seek in various products/stages of our regimen. I'm a bit of a glutton so I use several teas - this number of teas isn't necessary but they are very cheap and easy to use (hibiscus, marshmallowroot, rosemary, fenugreek, burdock, thyme, fennel, green, catnip, bhringaraj (amla minimally), saw palmetto, nettle, lavendar, horsetail, rosehip, rooibos, slippery elm, malva and moringa).

Last edited:
My hair has only been in twist for 3 days and I thought my scalp was harboring ants. I had the itches sooooo bad.

I decided to co-wash with HE None of Your Frizzness, moisturize with CJ Honey Butta Leave-in and seal with Burnt Sugar Pomade. My scalp feels so much better.

This is truly going to be a challenge for me. I have officially been natural a year and this is the first time I am doing a set of twist. I kept my hair short for the first 6 months so it was never long enough to twist. I am use to co-washing everyday so a change up in the routine is going to be rough. I will make it though, I love a good challenge.

lyricallysound I had the itchies bad, too! I kept wondering if I braided too tightly but I co-washed and it decreased some. Tea spritzes are usually very soothing and relieve this type of thing; I'm due to make another one. :yep:

I have been lurking in the previous challenges, looking at how creative you ladies are, just amazing.
I would love to join, but my problem is I am terrible at checking in!

I want to join:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
Bunning
2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
Wash and cowashing, deep conditioning 2xs a week. Re-moisturize as needed. Bun on stretched hair to prevent matting.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Length Retention

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days (usually)

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

photo.jpg

Well my braids aren't in the best shape, so I'm going to take this out this weekend. I just realized it's a holiday weekend, so I'll take them out Thursday and re-install probably Sunday.

Question, what do people use to braid? I usualy just use flaxseed gel, but I'm thinking I need something creamy like a pomade or butter

ladysaraii When I braid, it's usually after a fresh DC. So, I just seal with castor oil and stretch my hair overnight beforehand. After I braid, I spritz my ends and seal with castor oil or a butter. I try not to apply too much product because it's easy for me to get buildup. I also co-wash and spritz with tea throughout the week, as needed. HTH.

gennatay You're in. welcome3: What a nice picture.

ladysaraii. Hi, I use ktube leave-in and then seal with avocado oil after it's braided. Now, I'm wondering why I do that. I think it's because I don't like the feel of oil on my hands :perplexed

How do you ya'll style the front of your hair when you bun because when I attempt to do it it just looks unkempt. My hair isn't in the need for a wash so I' don't want to have to revert to wet bunning.

Fhrizzball I moisturize the front and tie it down with a scarf. It smoothes out my hair without too much fuss. I do the same thing with gel too.

Nix08 Wowzers! Thanks for your review on teas!

MaraWithLove I forgot you use teas as well. I'm sorry I didn't tag you for your review. :(

ladysaraii Oil based butters on damp hair keep my strand moisturized for a longer period of time. I've been using QB AOHC and HH Cooling Chamomile Whip the most lately.

Nonie Thanks for stopping in Ms. Inadvertent-Challenge-Member. You've been doing your twist and braid routine for the longest, so thanks for tips you give to the rest of us.

My hair has only been in twist for 3 days and I thought my scalp was harboring ants. I had the itches sooooo bad.

I decided to co-wash with HE None of Your Frizzness, moisturize with CJ Honey Butta Leave-in and seal with Burnt Sugar Pomade. My scalp feels so much better.

This is truly going to be a challenge for me. I have officially been natural a year and this is the first time I am doing a set of twist. I kept my hair short for the first 6 months so it was never long enough to twist. I am use to co-washing everyday so a change up in the routine is going to be rough. I will make it though, I love a good challenge.

I can feel your pain...or itchiness, lol lyricallysound. The SAME thing happens to me, too! What's helped me is making sure my scalp isn't dry - so I may spritz a little something-something on it... Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In has been fabulous, or Oyin Handmade's Greg Juice, or a little AVJ (aloe vera juice) mixed with water, peppermint EO and tea tree EO (gotta love that TINGLE!) Another solution that I experimented with recently was applying Lilly of the Desert AVG (aloe vera gel) straight from the fridge, on to my scalp, and massaging it in. BLISS.

I'm also experimenting with co-washing more often this time around. So far, it's been okay - no craziness going on in my head. The only drawback is that because I have a few wild-and-free strands that didn't get twisted, they may get knots on the end.

Yet another bit of advice (I have seborrhoeic dermatitis) is to keep products off your scalp when you're moisturising/sealing etc. It's helped wonders! Hope this helps :)

How do you ya'll style the front of your hair when you bun because when I attempt to do it it just looks unkempt. My hair isn't in the need for a wash so I' don't want to have to revert to wet bunning.

Fhrizzball - try spritzing with water in a water bottle, then apply a little gel, tie on scarf for at least 15mins - to overnight. If your not a gel-head :giggle: you can probably try a pomade, or even a thick creamy moisturizer, and scarf. I've gotten a bun to last 2-3 days using gel - on day one, then scarf.

I like to do a little something with my front too because the hair in the front isn't long enough to bun without hurting my edges. I usually do a little pompadour, or do a twist out pinned to the side. Sometimes I like to do a big flat twist or braid across the front.

I bunned my out hair for the first time ever today! I've put my hair in buns before in the past, but only in mini twists or in a tight knot to cover with a phony pony. I thought my hair wouldn't look full enough, but I just tried and it worked. It's a little sloppy and I'm not that good at flat twisting, but Im proud lol

I think I posted the pics wrong, I'll have to fix later on the computer

Attachments

• image-2324057488.jpg
    image-2324057488.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1203536999.jpg
    image-1203536999.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-4248513085.jpg
    image-4248513085.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image-651488273.jpg
    image-651488273.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3252389308.jpg
    image-3252389308.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2436347439.jpg
    image-2436347439.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 35
  • image-2307407151.jpg
    image-2307407151.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image-2076765539.jpg
    image-2076765539.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
@Fhrizzball - try spritzing with water in a water bottle, then apply a little gel, tie on scarf for at least 15mins - to overnight. If your not a gel-head :giggle: you can probably try a pomade, or even a thick creamy moisturizer, and scarf. I've gotten a bun to last 2-3 days using gel - on day one, then scarf.

For some reason the scarf method doesn't last all day with me and by midday it's a mess. I guess I'll just try to get better at flat twisting and hopes that help. I've been procrastinating on work by looking at bun tutorials. I can't wait until my hair grows so my buns won't feel so anorexic.

This challenge is great! Just tried two strand twists for the first time and I think I kind of like them. The goal was to keep them in until Christmas break so that falls right in line with this challenge. My pic is attached (excuse the morning face lol)

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?--Two strand twists
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Spritz with water and rub grease over them once a week or as needed.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?--Natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Length retention
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? I won't be wearing my hair out until the end of the challenge.
6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

ETA: Sorry the pic is sideways.

Attachments

• photo (34).JPG
    photo (34).JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 58
Nix08 You are now nominated the official spokesperson for tea rinses!!!:grin: OK, OK, I BITE! Those all sounds like awesome benefits and definitely worth trying I Have some lipton black pearl tea in the cabinet....could you tell me what to do with it and Im going to give it a try!? All those other teas you mentioned...do they come in bags?

lyricallysound I struggle with the itchies too! I used to not be able to go more than 3 or 4 days without washing, but sometimes I can go a week these days. Last session as a trial I rinsed my twists and it helped. Im transitioning so I was terrified of my hair getting matted up...but it didnt. I put it in ponytails banding the base and the ends. I minimized fuzz by not styling my twists while damp and I tied my damp twists down-not manipulating until dry.

MaraWithLove can you tell me more about how you make a tea spritz...and is it used only on the scalp or on scalp and hair?

gennatay welcome and lovely pic!

ladysaraii I tend to twist instead of braid, but same concempt. I did it on slightly damp hair and twisted with shea butter...my hair was moist for several days afterwards!

Fhrizzball I tend to do what Froreal3 mentioned and do a twist to the side or something about half the time to minimize stress on my fine edges...but my hair lays down pretty well it I moisturize it and smooth a tiny bit of gel on the edges and tie a scarf on it for a while if Im not too lazy...its gotten to where it looks decent to me without the scarf so I tend to skip that step lately. My hair is super kinky and fuzzy in general, but the edges seem to lay down fairly easily...I guess bc they are fine.

Victoria44 HAIR ANOREXIA IS REAL:lol:....That is a beautiful bun and its huge! You have been sleeping on bunning, huh??? Now you have an easy go to style in your bag!

I bunned my out hair for the first time ever today! I've put my hair in buns before in the past, but only in mini twists or in a tight knot to cover with a phony pony. I thought my hair wouldn't look full enough, but I just tried and it worked. It's a little sloppy and I'm not that good at flat twisting, but Im proud lol

I think I posted the pics wrong, I'll have to fix later on the computer

Your hair is so nice and thick. My buns don't look anywhere near that! My hair is too fine. :ohwell:

I would love to join this group. I just joined the website today, but I have been protective styling with twists and braids for over 2 years. I've had my current set of mini braids in since September 7th, and will take them out on October 12th. The first set of pictures is my mini braids, and the second is a length check that I did on September 30th.

1. What is your primary style? braids
2. What is your style maintenance regimen? cowashing 2x per week, DC 1x per week, LOC method 2x per week, using a scarf to tie down my head after cowashing, moisturizing with distilled water and sealing with oil mix as needed.
3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? natural
4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? 1 inch of growth
5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days

Attachments

• September Mini Braids.jpg
    September Mini Braids.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 39
  • October Length Check.jpg
    October Length Check.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for all of you for your advice. I think I'll try using my butters and see what happens this next go round

I am so in! I have been wearing twists for the past three weeks. I keep them in a week/7 days at a time.

My most recent pic

ForumRunner_20121003_213416.jpg

What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? My primary style will be two strand twists either flat or individual.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? As I am twisting I use scurl activator gel which keeps my hair extremely moist for days at a time and I spray them with aphogee tea tree keratin reconstructor every 1-3 days. I wash and DC while the twists are still in and redo them after I rinse out the dc and my hair is still damp but I might let my hair air-dry some next time.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? I am texlaxed with the last 2-3 inches being bone straight which I am trimming off over time.

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? I hope to achieve longer hair and healthier hair.

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? For my two (or 3) days off I will wear a wig or just redo my twists on the 7th day which is what I have been doing.

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic). My starting pic is at the top

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Last edited:
Back