Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Just poo'ed and DC'ed my hair. Now I am airdrying(I applied Cantu Shea butter, coconut oil, and avocado oil). I will start my twists tonight and finish tomorrow morning.

so...got off work yesterday morning and came home and slept til THIS morning lol oh my. anywho, got up and washed, DC'd, and oil rinsed. hair feeling good, you hear me? about to section, stretch my hair with a tension blow dry then do some smallish twists. pics later!!!

LaFemmeNaturelle When you twist, do you do it on blown out or stretched hair? Have you considered three strand twists? After I take down my braids I think I am going to do a set of three strand twists myself. They do last a bit longer and look neater longer than 2 strand twists.

NappyNelle Thanks! Everyone keeps saying my hair is not frizzy lol my bf and I are the only ones who think its frizzy...weird lol Maybe I have high expectations since I'm from Detroit and hair is serious business up there. I'm so used to having everything look perfect I guess.

BraunSugar I twisted on stretched hair. I wash my hair in braids so a few hours after I washed, I took the braids out and twisted. IDK what 3 strand twists are but it sounds time consuming lol I'll youtube it.

Well I redid them and they look better to me now. I focused the jam on my roots more than I did last time. So I'm happy....for now lol

Attachments

• photo (44).JPG
    photo (44).JPG
    159.2 KB · Views: 28
  • photo (43).JPG
    photo (43).JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 26
  • photo (42).JPG
    photo (42).JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 45
Not even a week in and my braids are bustin out the rubber bands :lol: Everytime I move from wherever I'm sitting, I leave behind 2 bands. Guess these won't be staying in for 2 weeks.

Hi ladies :)

Just checkin in, I have not done anything to my twists in the past day or so...

ForumRunner_20121007_230102.jpg

I think they are holding up pretty well. I will put some scurl activator gel and baggy half my head tonight.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Heyzyz! So my braids are still going pretty strong..which is an accomplishment for me since my hair usually becomes the bush monster...Lolzyz...im using lenzi's request for greasing my scalp....but I'm only using it once or twice a week...now that I'm using braids...it'll b easier to see if it works...

I can't wait to get my GRE over with so I can finally have time to put in mini twists. I've been bunning medium sized twists for the last few days. Can anyone suggest where I can buy more stretchy, cheap headbands? I only have this one and another one. They help hide my puffy roots with big twists lol

Attachments

• image-1072232976.jpg
    image-1072232976.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 46
Mini-twists done Sat, hope to get 4 weeks

Attachments

• image-795344800.jpg
    image-795344800.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2344605961.jpg
    image-2344605961.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
i braided my hair last night.

im doing a tea/cocoa rinse experiment...just used regular black tea and cocoa powder and poured it on. dont ask me why i did the cocoa...just thought i'd try it. i'm gonna rinse and condition wash in a bit.

the braids looks pretty lame...but eh...whatever. they'll be pinned up and wont be in for more than a week anyway.

Victoria44, Your hair looks lovely -- from the pics the roots don't look puffy at all, but we're always our worst critics!

I've gotten some cute headbands at the chain drugstores such as CVS, Walgreens, DuaneReade, RiteAid etc. They may not have much variety, but they are usually inexpensive and ok. I've even found some stretchy ones with kind of a 'silky' texture as opposed to the stretchy cotton.

I can't wait to get my GRE over with so I can finally have time to put in mini twists. I've been bunning medium sized twists for the last few days. Can anyone suggest where I can buy more stretchy, cheap headbands? I only have this one and another one. They help hide my puffy roots with big twists lol

Bunners I need your help. Even though I can half *** bun my braids, I still have not been able to figure out how to bun my hair in it's natural state. Do you guys bun on stretched out hair or wet bun? Are you doing the "don't pull the hair all the way through the scrunchy" method, sock bun method, bobby pin style, what? I'm so lost on what to do!

NikkiQ I usually do a sock bun (not often though because I'm scared of my ends getting messed up). I've also done the whole pony puff pinned over or roll and pin. I think I look the best in a sock bun...the latter methods always end up looking not as neat. You're apl, so you can definitely bun. I do my buns on air dried hair/streched a bit with braids.

So I got home today and I passed by a lady who complimented me on my hair. I just have my hair in a simple flat twist pin up...bang pinned to the side. She said, "That's beautiful! Did they do that with your hair?" I said, "Yes, it's mine...I did it. Thanks!" I was surprised because I've been feeling like I look like a bum every day.

@NikkiQ I usually do a sock bun (not often though because I'm scared of my ends getting messed up). I've also done the whole pony puff pinned over or roll and pin. I think I look the best in a sock bun...the latter methods always end up looking not as neat. You're apl, so you can definitely bun. I do my buns on air dried hair/streched a bit with braids.

I'll have to give it a try once I take these braids out before wash day since my hair will be stretched anyway. If it works, I'm doing back flips around this piece :lachen:

Bunners I need your help. Even though I can half *** bun my braids, I still have not been able to figure out how to bun my hair in it's natural state. Do you guys bun on stretched out hair or wet bun? Are you doing the "don't pull the hair all the way through the scrunchy" method, sock bun method, bobby pin style, what? I'm so lost on what to do!

NikkiQ (Sorry... this post is very pic heavy. I wanted to be thorough...)

Wet Hair:

1. WnG baby buns: hair not pulled through the elastic fully. Fluff after.

DSC00593-vi.jpg

DSC00597-vi.jpg

2. Make ponytail, pull hair all the way through, swirl around, and pin.

DSC01611-vi.jpg

Stretched Hair:

1. Hair pulled through elastic band, nearly all the way. Fan out and pin as needed.

Photo2-vi.jpg

Photo28-vi.jpg

2. Make ponytail with elastic band, fan all the way out, then pin ends in circular motion. Fluff.

Photo16-vi.jpg

DSC02802-vi.jpg

3. The SouthernTease bun.

DSC00979-vi.jpg

Photo9-vi.jpg

4. Banana Clip/ Tuck Bun. Make a ponytail, pull through, then pin the ends a few inches under. Also great with banana clips.

DSC01459-vi.jpg

DSC01618-vi.jpg

DSC02611-vi.jpg

DSC02661-vi.jpg

5. Make ponytail, pull hair all the way through, swirl around, and pin.

DSC01789-vi.jpg

DSC02785-vi.jpg

DSC02744-vi.jpg

Last edited:
OMG NappyNelle :thud: :drool: :notworthy: I'm very happy you were very thorough b/c I always love seeing your pictures! How do you guys get the banana clips to stay closed? My hair is so stupid thick that they always break on me :nono:

OMG NappyNelle :thud: :drool: :notworthy: I'm very happy you were very thorough b/c I always love seeing your pictures! How do you guys get the banana clips to stay closed? My hair is so stupid thick that they always break on me :nono:

Get the extra wide ones. My hair looks to be the same density as yours and the wide ones work for me

Today's Hair:

Banana Clip Bun:

tumblr_mblhvtMIJj1qcn8jso1_500.jpg

tumblr_mblhvtMIJj1qcn8jso2_500.jpg

I see it's time to get rid of side burns and smooth the bead-e-bees.

NikkiQ Thank you. :grin: I'm sure everyone else is tired of seeing my pictures though.

I use the sturdier banana clips; I'm not sure if it's just because I'm low-medium density or fine stranded, but these work best for me.

590477976_o.jpg

Back in the French braids. I was going to re mini braid, but I think my hair needed a little rest and I didnt feel like it.

IN other news, instead of using a store conditioner after I shampooed, I used a mix of AVG and EVOO. I really liked the results, so I will be trying this again to see how this works long term. I still use a store bought conditioner (GBP) to DC with prior to shampooing and will continue using that. Although I may experiment with using eggs.

Tibbar said:
NappyNelle

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Never say that! Never!! I'm going to take the liberty of speaking for everyone (I'm old, I can do that)
:lol: and say WE looooooove your pictures! Keep posting them !!!

I 2nd that. You inspired me to pull out my banana clip tonight.

Back