Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Hey ladies! Checking in. Last week I wore pinned up twists. Took them down Sunday and bunning for this week. I'll most likely go back into twists. May attempt semi-mini twists and try to leave them in 2-3 weeks.

Victoria44[USER][/USER], I am loving your buns. Especially the last one. Do you have to fix them everyday or do you tie them up at night?

MeowMix[USER][/USER], I would love to participate in a 2013challenge.

I pinned the front of my hair up

Hey everyone.

I've been a little MIA. I'm just here enjoying the wonderful pictures and conversation. I'm still in those braids and through some mini braids in the back. It's a little scalpy but hey :wacky:

Ladies we are in our last month. Time flies :auto:

MeowMix...
Missed you!! Good to see you back!!
:yep:

I'm in week 2 of mini twists. I would love to do mini braids. But I'm afraid it will look scalpy. I think mini twists are okay. But I think because ends coil up much it cause them to break off. *shrugs*

Victoria44 that last bun is EVERYTHING!

After reading the thread about knockoff curlformers, I bought some off of eBay. This site would do damage to a bank account I tell ya lol. Plan to use them today and get some pretty curls/good stretch and probably bun.

Hey ladies... I think I'm gonna drop off this challenge early.

I've been wearing twists since June and now I'm bored with my hair and want a new style... I think I'm gonna blow dry my hair nowadays. I will post comparison photos of my progress this weekend.

Thanks for everything!!! If this challenge is still going on in the spring, i'm sure i'll join again!!

NikkiQ. :yay: Where are those blow out snaps?

Hey isawstars. You have been going strong for a while now. Have fun with you hair. See you in the Spring.

:hiya2: Tibbar. Good to see you too. I'm just loving your enthusiasm:)

rsmith. Got you in. Liking the updo.

Victoria44 :wow:

Hey jprayze. You are always so good with posting pictures:yep:

Last edited:
Haven't had it done yet MeowMix. Waiting until I go back to the states again in 2 weeks. Couldn't get through to the salon to make an appointment today,but I'll try again tomorrow. If they can't squeeze me in, gonna just have someone flat iron it for me. Hopefully it lasts :lol:

day 10 with these twists. ive been trying to come up with different styles...but since i suck at styling...nothing really works the way i want it to. haha. boooo

Victoria44[USER][/USER], I am loving your buns. Especially the last one. Do you have to fix them everyday or do you tie them up at night?

Thanks! I usually took them down nightly, but I didn't have to. I did that because I didn't like how my bonnet was a tent on top of my head with the high buns and it wouldn't stay on my head lol. So yea, I re-did them everyday, but they weren't anything special so it took less than 30 seconds. The sock bun I would've preferred to tie down and wear the next day without redoing since it takes a little more time, but I couldn't lay my head properly so it came down nightly as well.

Thank youuu -PYT and MeowMix!

I took out my coils early so my hair would look decent for the xmas party. I guess this is a coil out. It looks better and fuller. I really didn't like that last set of coils. So my hair will be out an extra few days this week. But I will be coiling it back up on Sunday.

Victoria44 That last bun is giving me life!

Yes soooo I'm going to pick up my BF purchases at the courier office today. This only makes me want to take out these twist extensions even MORE. I wanna use my new stuff!!

I am very much down for this challenge next yr. I bought curlformers too, and if they give me a good stretch, I may start bunning as well.

I would like to continue on to next year also. I may be spending next year in mini braids, with the exception of a blowout for my curlyversary in May and my annual flat iron during Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Yes honey, @bajandoc86 these knockoff curlformers stretched my hair for the gods! No heat, or anything! My only complaint is my hair feels so soft like I'll only get two or three days out of this set. Next time may use some setting lotion/foam. oh! and Victoria44 I tried the castor oil rinse along with my DC and my hair was sooooo soft even after drying! I love you ladies and all of the great advice.

8250031919_ebea949906.jpg

8249911027_5dcaaa49e2.jpg

Last edited:
Count me in for 2013....I had a moment the other day and a dusting turned into a mini chop...luckily I can still get my hair in a bun though. I almost big chopped but came my senses.

Thanks for the well wishes during a difficult time. My husband and I are splitting up and this being the holidays sure doesnt make it any easier :( But I am strong and will be ok. Just trying to focus on holding it together for our son since he looks to me to feel secure.

Yes honey, @bajandoc86 these knockoff curlformers stretched my hair for the gods! No heat, or anything! My only complaint is my hair feels so soft like I'll only get two or three days out of this set. Next time may use some setting lotion/foam. oh! and Victoria44 I tried the castor oil rinse along with my DC and my hair was sooooo soft even after drying! I love you ladies and all of the great advice.

This is sooo pretty! Now I want some of these to try out thanks for sharing

tomorrow's wash day. actually gonna use shampoo tomorrow, so i'll have to attack it a bit differently than last time. aka...i have to be really careful, so i dont mess my twists up. lol

time is going so fast. today is day 11...so im about to hit the 2 week mark with these. i thought it was going to be tough to get back into the groove of keeping a protective in longer, but it's been okay.

bajandoc86 I was concerned about keeping my hair moisturized so I used castor oil on damp hair with a lil ecostyler gel on top. Feels like I used zero gel. Next time I'd want them to really set and be just a bit more crunchy.

My bun today..

ForumRunner_20121206_220002.jpg

ForumRunner_20121206_220018.jpg

ForumRunner_20121206_220033.jpg

I love ez combs but they are too expensive, I found a store that sale something like those for $1 each...I'm happy about that lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

-PYT Did the Ebay set come with the wand? Was it easy to figure out how to put the curlers in? How many did you have to use? I've had these on my wish list for so long! Your results are gorgeous and I want pretty hair, too!

IMFOCSD Your bun has gotten so thick, too. I still don't have any EZCombs, but I did find some cheaper knock offs on Ebay. Where did you find them for $1?!

Fluffy Puffy Braid Out Fro (Today) + Defined Braid Out (Monday)

Attachments

• Photo 31.jpg
    Photo 31.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo 16.jpg
    Photo 16.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Photo 18.jpg
    Photo 18.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 68

Can you explain the castor oil rinse and dc thing? Thanks. -PYT

Sent From My Pheauxne

@NappyNelle They sure did. I bought 48 which came as 4 baggies of 12 pink and yellow "extra long and wide" rollers. Each baggie came with it's own wand. I'm still thinking of checking out Sally's because the actual Curlformer wand might be made with better quality (i.e. seamless) I used each and every one of those 48 too! It took me some getting used to with pulling the hair through. It seemed like my bigger sections gave me the most trouble.

@pookaloo83 I did it like adding some almond oil (or any oil of your choice) to some castor oil like a 3:1 ratio (3 being the castor) in a bottle. Shook it up and added to sections of hair after I washed then put my DC right over. Left it on for like 2 or 3 hours and rinsed out with warm water.

P.S. If any of you ladies are interested in the knockoffs just check out Happycurls on ebay!

-PYT Did the Ebay set come with the wand? Was it easy to figure out how to put the curlers in? How many did you have to use? I've had these on my wish list for so long! Your results are gorgeous and I want pretty hair, too!

IMFOCSD Your bun has gotten so thick, too. I still don't have any EZCombs, but I did find some cheaper knock offs on Ebay. Where did you find them for $1?!

Thank u NappyNelleI got them from a store inside of a mall here in Cleveland...can't remember the name of it, they just opened.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Last edited:
Count me in for 2013....I had a moment the other day and a dusting turned into a mini chop...luckily I can still get my hair in a bun though. I almost big chopped but came my senses.

Thanks for the well wishes during a difficult time. My husband and I are splitting up and this being the holidays sure doesnt make it any easier :( But I am strong and will be ok. Just trying to focus on holding it together for our son since he looks to me to feel secure.

:bighug: My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Back