Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Yea, I put my dry unwashed hair in like 8- 10 twists, and take down each one, one at a time. I spray the section with water and soak in conditioner, then comb through (usually I split the section in half or thirds b/c it's too thick to get through gently). Once that section is detangled I braid it, with a little room at the top so I can shampoo my scalp. I use braids b/c twists unravel or get tangled because the hair moves around more in twists. But once the detangling process is done, every next step I do, I do it in those same braids, and it reduces the tangles and manipulation a lot. However, the last step, deep conditioning, I do it in twists b/c I unravel each one under the water for the final rinse, and braids would be tedious. After that I braid those same damp sections with my leave-in and oil. Once dry they are shrunken, so I split them and rebraid the next day so they're more stretched both b/c the braids are smaller and dry braids aren't going to shrink like wet ones. And you're welcome! You gave me the best advice ever to start doing castor oil rinses and weekly protein DCs, it's turned my hair around completely. I hope I can help you a bit as well :)

I'm glad I can help you! I try to spread the "wealth" especially since I've found solutions in certain areas. This is probably my last problem area(s) (detangling-- heatless stretching/styling)-- its great to get good advice like this :yep:.

Ladies, I don't know if I've achieved any length because I've been doin mini trims as of late to rid my ends of fairy knots. Lol The huge influx of fairy knots was a result of me slacking all summer, when it came to my hair care n then i had colored some of my hair purple which involved bleaching it first for the color to show. while i may not gain the optimal amt of length during this challenge my ends are doin better and my hair is thickening some n retaining more moisture as expected. I'm getting back on track and should still be able to reach waist length by this time next year. im done playing with color and dyed my hair black and am taking better care of my hair again.

Today's do is an old faithful style of mine. I French braid the back and tuck it into itself then pin the bang area into funky pomp or roll styles. This style varies every time I do it. I love it.

Attachments

• image-2794615165.jpg
    image-2794615165.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 35
this weekend is going to be my first wash with these mini twists and im nervous lol. i sooo dont want my hair to be messed up after! i want to still look good and not be unraveled or tangled. i plan on using a stocking cap as well as braiding sections of twists. hopefully it works out!

if anyone has any tips, throw em out there! i have washed in twists many times, but i still havent perfected the whole keeping them in tact thing.

pookaloo83 said:
Still bunning! I dc'd before washing today, and my hair likes it! I think I'll stick to this.

I am with you on this. I DC'd first this past weekend, used a cleansing conditioner to wash, then used a rinse out conditioner for a few. My hair felt nice & moisturized & no dipping & diving in out the shower!

this weekend is going to be my first wash with these mini twists and im nervous lol. i sooo dont want my hair to be messed up after! i want to still look good and not be unraveled or tangled. i plan on using a stocking cap as well as braiding sections of twists. hopefully it works out!

if anyone has any tips, throw em out there! i have washed in twists many times, but i still havent perfected the whole keeping them in tact thing.

I can only cowash with mine for shampoo, no matter how diluted, tangles them up. The stocking is a good idea. For me I just put it in braids and apply it that way without taking the braids down. I wrap my hair after it dries a bit with my leave ins. I know for me, making sure it dries stretched helped prevent problems.

I can only cowash with mine for shampoo, no matter how diluted, tangles them up. The stocking is a good idea. For me I just put it in braids and apply it that way without taking the braids down. I wrap my hair after it dries a bit with my leave ins. I know for me, making sure it dries stretched helped prevent problems.

yeah, i was intending on doing a dc & condition wash after. i always feel like no matter how hard i try, i get unraveling. i plan on doing the whole process in the braided sections. hopefully the stocking cap will help prevent any messing up once i start rinsing.

i will wrap after drying most of the way.

Update (but not too detailed)

Thanksgiving- had my hair in a twist out
Friday- was up in a twist-out puff
Friday night- DC, washed, blow-dried and flatiron. Wrapped it and went to bed.
Saturday afternoon- pics 1 and 2
Sunday- had it in a ponytail (i think)
Monday- when i was traveling home had it in a bun. when i got home took some more pics.
Monday night- pics 3,4 and 5

Planning on washing it this weekend.

Attachments

• 1124121420.jpg
    1124121420.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 33
  • 1124121421.jpg
    1124121421.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 29
  • 1126122238ed.jpg
    1126122238ed.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1126122242ed.jpg
    1126122242ed.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1126122240ed.jpg
    1126122240ed.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 19
I'm going to try my Bee Mine products today. First I'll shampoo, then DC with the Luscious, then use the leave in. I want to see how this stuff compares to my beloved Elasta QP Mango Butter.

As far as styling, I've been doing buns for about three weeks now. I think I'll throw in some twists for the next couple weeks. I actually want to purchase some beenies to wear at work so I can put my hair in Celies underneath. At the gym, I'll just cover w/a scarf.

I'm doin a henna gloss today n then I might be putting my hair into mini twists for a few weeks because this whole month is goin to be a whirlwind

Today is the day for pre poo-ing, shampoo, DCing, blow-drying, and find a new flat-twist style for the next two weeks. Or I might try the Cinnabun style, not sure yet.

So Goodmorning ladies! I'm gna try and take down my braids tonight and I'll probably let my hair breathe this week...then back to braids until the end of the year when I straighten...

I'm like so nervous, cuz I have no idea how my hair looks right now... :-0

update part 1

Put EVOO and JBCO on my scalp and hair and a little bit of coconut oil on my hair also. I massage my scalp than placed a plastic bag, a shower cap and naruto sleep cap on my head and let it sit for 3-4 hrs and then I sat under a dryer for 30 mins.

Separated my hair in 4 and washed it with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo (I bought it at Surplus Outlet for $1.49)

Waited til my hair was damp and applied my DC that was mixed with coconut oil. Place the plastic bag, a shower cap and naruto sleep cap on my head and going to leave it overnight.

41dhd3ToN0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
(the sleeping cap) I figure it would hold heat and i don't have to hear the plastic while i sleep.

update part 2

Around 2 p.m. I washed out the DC and applied Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Conditioner (got it at the same price as the shampoo) let it sit in my hair as I showered and then rinsed it out while finger de-tangling.

When my hair was damp i applied a mixture of Shea butter (that was already mixed with oil), HE HH conditioner and coconut oil and braided my hair in 8 sections.

I'm still in it to win it. I see everyone is doing well. :) I just released my bantu knots and braided those sections for further stretch. I aim to continue wearing my hair loose in various updos until I figure out my work/break schedule.

ending week 1 with these mini twists, moving into week 2. my first wash was very successful and the wrapping was succesful again...seemed to get even more stretch than the first time, actually...probably because it was wrapped longer.

decided to braid the front section of my twists and pin them back and put the back into a mid-bun. might leave it like this all week instead of taking it down to redo/change every night like i did this past week.

Still bunning. I think i may be pulling my edges too tight. Gonna experiment with something different tomorrow.

Sent From My Pheauxne

Tomorrow I'm going to wash my braids. They are holding up well & more "plump" than before. I can see and feel new growth which makes me happy.

12-2-minibraids-2.jpg

12-2-minibraids.jpg

Put in a new set of finger coils tonight. I decided to make them bigger this time. Not sure why I made them so small last time :perplexed. I did some extra steps this time. I usually just spritz with water and put on a gel. Tonight I sprizted with water, applied a leave in, put on a gel/cream and then combed it through. I think that made it take a bit longer.

It took me 3 hrs last week :nono: Was able to do it in 2 this week even with the extra steps.

I am going to try to hang with coils through the 1st quarter of 2013. Hopefully by April I can switch over to twists.

Twisted out yesterday and today I've been pre-pooing with Vatika oil. Did not end up washing. Probably will attempt to tomorrow...If not, I will be bunning it.

I still rocking my bun. I wore a pony this weekend. So now back to my bun. I cut myself a bang so I won't get tired of the same old plain but bun. This pic was taken Friday.

ForumRunner_20121203_064617.jpg

Hey guys! I ordered this on Amazon and was able to make some cute buns

ETA: I don't know why the pictures I send from my phone are on their side.

41cXdYMHcdL.jpg

Attachments

• image-3235414052.jpg
    image-3235414052.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
^^Thanks for sharing that BGT. I always wondered how those worked. Are they easy to use? How long is your hair?

I'm APL. A few years ago, I had a plastic one that didn't work for me, so I took a chance on these foam ones. I think because they're foam, my hair clings to it as opposed to slipping out. I put my hair in a ponytail, put it through the center of the tool and pull it down to the last inch of hair (any further and the hair will fall out and you have to start again), and roll up! Once I reach the base of my pony, I spread the hair to the end of the foam tool, bend it into a circle shape, try to cover the ends, and that's it! It's pretty simple.

Back