Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Do most twist or braid on blow dried or stretched hair? I ain't gonna lie. I'm scared of heat. Once I decided to go natural I haven't used heat. That's been 3.5 years counting my 1 year of transition. I sit under the hair dryer maybe once a month for a protein treatment otherwise I just use my steamer.

I usually twist on dried or damp, stretched hair. I also wash and condition my hair in braided or twisted sections so when I am twisting I am taking one large braid or twist out at a time and sectioning it and re-twisting it smaller. This is much easier for me to deal with.

Every now and then I twist on wet hair, but it is still sectioned. I never blow dry my hair. I'm very leery about using heat too. I've only used it (very rarely) for deep conditioning treatments either with hooded dryer or heat cap.

After an almost three week break with a nice flat iron and much needed trim, I am back to bunning. I hope we can add another challenge for 2013. I need to do a nonstop 6 month bunning challenge.

Tibbar
I'm really scared. I think I will ask the stylist to do it on stretched hair the first time. She's gonna love how particular I am. I've already said only natural products and she says no problem she always offers that to her clients. I'm particular but I'm loyal and an excellent tipper if you treat me right. Ask my nail lady :grin:.

The back up shop that I have in mind doesn't even do blowouts and they only use natural products so either way I think I'm good.

@Tibbar
I'm really scared. I think I will ask the stylist to do it on stretched hair the first time. She's gonna love how particular I am. I've already said only natural products and she says no problem she always offers that to her clients. I'm particular but I'm loyal and an excellent tipper if you treat me right. Ask my nail lady :grin:.

The back up shop that I have in mind doesn't even do blowouts and they only use natural products so either way I think I'm good.

Shay72: Good luck, I hope everything goes well. Make sure you come back and post pics for us!

Good to know.I am going to a stylist so I do feel better about them possibly blowdrying my hair instead of me. I just don't want any heat damage. Length is what I want because I'm planning to do buns & up do's with my twists.

I'd say if you're that nervous to just show up w clean hair that you stretched by letting it air dry in braids. But if more of your length is what you want to see a lot of, they will more than likely suggest blowing it out first before twisting.

Good luck and please share pics when they're done!

I cowashed my hair with some ayurvedics tea, then applied my leave in while in the shower, did 10 twist and tomorrow will take the twist out and bun.
I am loving coconut oil on dry hair for pre-poo, I have been using it for about 2 weeks now on my highly porous hair and my hair feel so smooth and heavier!

here's my hair.

mini twists with a flat twist going into a side bun-type tying w/ flexi8 clip. i should have gotten a smaller flexi8, but it's okay.

Attachments

• flexi1.jpg
    flexi1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 26
  • flexi2.jpg
    flexi2.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 26
  • flexi3.jpg
    flexi3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 23
Failed twist put pulled into a banana clip, I didn't get to let it dry had to run errands. It'll be pinned up tomorrow for work.

image-3941043836.jpg

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Do most twist or braid on blow dried or stretched hair? I ain't gonna lie. I'm scared of heat. Once I decided to go natural I haven't used heat. That's been 3.5 years counting my 1 year of transition. I sit under the hair dryer maybe once a month for a protein treatment otherwise I just use my steamer.

I twist on braid-stretched hair. Usually I allow it air dry; other times I'll sit under the hooded dryer to speed up the process.

Back in my twists. I'm going to give my edges a break from the buns. Will keep them in this style for the week. I'm hoping to keep them in for the next two weeks. The last week of the month, I will probably put my hair in extension braids. I'm tired of messing with it.

*don't worry...I fixed the crooked hair bling*

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 36
I'm right now taking my twists out. My scalp itch sooo bad and some parts of flaking.
I don't put anything in my scalp really.

However... I don't think mini-twists are working out for me. My ends coil around each other I have to pull them apart. And I think that its reeking havoc on my head.

I was planning to do a detangling..trimming session around christmas break.. but I need to clean my scalp before I go to work on tuesday..

I need to find a braided style..that will hold out until the 23rd :|

I twist on braid-stretched hair. Usually I allow it air dry; other times I'll sit under the hooded dryer to speed up the process.

This is exactly what I was thinking of having her do, either braid or twist my hair and sit me under the hooded dryer which I'm fine with :yep:.

I used wayyyy too much castor oil when I did my curlformer set :lol: my hair was dripping! :nono: hot mess. I bunned today and will bun tomorrow, then wash tuesday and probably do another curlformer to stretch and bun, rinse repeat.

-PYT I took down my twist extensions today, and I twisted my hair up to wear a twistout tomorrow and tuesday. I'll be off from work on Wed, so I'll use the curlformers then. I'm so excited to try them out!

I did a permrod set on my braids. I'm not going to waste time on that again anytime soon. I looked like an 80 year old church lady by the head. The curls were sooooooo tight! That always happens. Ugh!

I'm on week 3 of the braids. I'll remove them in a couple weeks or so, then do a WnG for a few days before doing some medium sized twists for a few weeks.

I did a permrod set on my braids. I'm not going to waste time on that again anytime soon. I looked like an 80 year old church lady by the head. The curls were sooooooo tight! That always happens. Ugh!

I'm on week 3 of the braids. I'll remove them in a couple weeks or so, then do a WnG for a few days before doing some medium sized twists for a few weeks.

Maybe try large flexi rods instead

Can we see please?!

Today, I wore a Top Knot Banana Clip Bun. I didn't bother to use a gel or anything, but I thought my kinky, poofy bun looked nice.

Attachments

• Photo 33.jpg
    Photo 33.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 42
Kimeshajohnson

Kimeshajohnson said:
I haven't posted on here in a couple of days...since I started spraying my moisturizer mix in my hair, it is SOOO soft...and my hair is waving up at the roots like it used to again. It is really great. My hair normally is super dry after a day with only my regular moisturizers, but with this I can go a few days without needing to re moisturize. I only use it now to comb through my hair, which still tangled retardedly..Lolzyz

What's in your spray mix?

noname-1.jpeg

:grin:

Back