Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Wore a bun for a day and then back in braids until wash day. IDK what I'll do then. Probably just rock my Celies until I go home for the holidays.

I will be washing and DC tonight and stretching hair with twists. I will take the twists out tomorrow and wear a low bun with a faux bang. I found some really string 5 inch banana clips at the dollor store. The smaller clips make my buns look more full.

Do any bunners here have problems with receding or breaking hairlines? I just noticed since I started bunning more frequently that my hairline is looking a little sparse these days. I went back and did a search on edges but most people have hairline damage due to lacefront weaves and braids and the advice seems to be to take a break from those styles and wear a bun. That doesn't help me much. I have started applying JBCO on my edges daily but in the meantime I don't know how to wear my hair. I have to pull my hair kinda tight because my hair is short. It will look frizzy and piecey if I don't smooth it back. I have yet to do a successful braid out or twist out so I can't switch up the style. I don't know what to do while my edges grow back.

Snapshot_20121125_5.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Sunday! I've been wearing my hair loose for the last couple of weeks and my go to style is the high bun. I'm going back in twists today. I miss the low maintenance aspect of them.
I've been slacking on posting in this challenge/thread! Sorry ladies.

Attachments

• high bun at club.JPG
    high bun at club.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 32
  • high bum 11_19.JPG
    high bum 11_19.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I've learned twists give me too much tangles at takedown and ssk's. I'll just do buns. Mini braids on me would be a NO. I have fine hair. So I looked bald.

I really liked loose twists. I think I may try that again.

Sent From My Pheauxne

Do any bunners here have problems with receding or breaking hairlines? I just noticed since I started bunning more frequently that my hairline is looking a little sparse these days. I went back and did a search on edges but most people have hairline damage due to lacefront weaves and braids and the advice seems to be to take a break from those styles and wear a bun. That doesn't help me much. I have started applying JBCO on my edges daily but in the meantime I don't know how to wear my hair. I have to pull my hair kinda tight because my hair is short. It will look frizzy and piecey if I don't smooth it back. I have yet to do a successful braid out or twist out so I can't switch up the style. I don't know what to do while my edges grow back.

View attachment 179015

Perfexion How often do you move your bun around? You can always try doing a puff and hiding the ends or using multiple buns. To ease the stress of my hairline, I twist/flat twist the front or put a thin scarf as a headband.

Perfexion that is why I flat twisted the front...not too tight. If that doesn't help, stop the buns till your hair gets longer.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Perfexion I'm babying my hairline due to medications and manipulation. I rotate between my sulfur mix and castor oil massaged into my hairline 3-4x a week. Slowly but surely, I am seeing more fullness.

Have you tried using a banana clip, or making double buns, so you won't have to pull your hair back so tightly? You can also create a bang in the front with a twist or braid or the -out of the style. It doesn't have to be perfect, but that loose hair can release the tension and allow you to disguise sparse strands. :yep:

Last edited:
Ummm ladies...I may have spoke to soon. I may go back to mini-twists afterall. I don't know how to work my loose hair w/o heat. How do you work thick natural hair w/high shrinkage. I mean, how are you stretching your hair out to be able to style???? That's why the blow dry was my friend, but if I can figure out how to do a heatless blowout I will be even more blessed than I can say.

Last edited:
Played around with the front of my hair putting in twists in one section and mini twists in another. That hair is long enough to do them on, but they are way too short for them to look good on me. Maybe I will be able to do twists with another 2" of hair.

This is wash day for me. Currently DCing. Will put in coils in a little while.

Ummm ladies...I may have spoke to soon. I may go back to mini-twists afterall. I don't know how to work my loose hair w/o heat. How do you work thick natural hair w/high shrinkage. I mean, how are you stretching your hair out to be able to style???? That's why the blow dry was my friend, but if I can figure out how to do a heatless blowout I will be even more blessed than I can say.

virtuenow you sound like me. I use longhairdontcare's method. It helps some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-ByToseec&list=FLsdBWkhc8rNaU_YnPkdnlsg&index=8

How she puts in the 2 buns:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-FLa4036XE&list=PLF584E3D80E97BA6E&index=8&feature=plpp_video

I did it the other day. I'm a 4b and my hair shrinks up to my ears. I t worked ok. It dried overnight and was a little bit damp by the am. Just a little. But was stretched so that was good. I made sure to completely dry my hair off with a towel. I didn't do it soaking wet.

Think I'm gonna turn these 8 braids into smaller Celies for the rest of the week and then MAYBE wash my hair next Sunday. Since my hair is stretched out quite a bit, I think the Celies will have a weeee bit of hang time. Lord knows with this shrinkage I need all the stretching I can get :lol:

Just checking no buns for about 4 or 5 days or so. My family being with me since Wed really distracted me from my hair routine. Now I'm trying to get back in the swing of things!

ugh...finally done! that took about 5 hours to do (with a very short break - about 10 minutes) sheesh.

im going to try wrapping my twists...we'll see how that works out.

Putting in my small braids tonight. I'm not making them mini this time because they are only going to be in for 4 weeks. My annual flat ironing will be done during the Christmas holidays, so I will need to take them out before then. Here are pictures of the bun I wore on the day after Thanksgiving, and the chunky twisted banana clip bun that I wore 2 days before Thanksgiving. I will post pictures of my new braid set tomorrow.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 19
  • imagejpeg_5.jpg
    imagejpeg_5.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 11-20-12--Chunky Twists (2).jpg
    11-20-12--Chunky Twists (2).jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 20
Washed my braids today. They loosened very little on the ends. Everything else is still tight and together! I oiled my scalp with my castor oil/grapeseed oil mix infused with cayenne pepper. I forgot I had it, so I am going to use it up.

Washed my braids today. They loosened very little on the ends. Everything else is still tight and together! I oiled my scalp with my castor oil/grapeseed oil mix infused with cayenne pepper. I forgot I had it, so I am going to use it up.

hopefully that's what it'll do for em.

i got it from naptural85

dunno if it'll work so well on me, but im trying it anyway.

I cross wrap mine since I can't do a regular wrap and it stretched them nicely for me.

virtuenow Have you tried drying in 8-10 braids, releasing, and then braiding them again? You should get lots of stretch with that as long as you are not heavy handed with a water based moisturizer. I used to use this method early in my journey so I could twist.

youwillrise BraunSugar I also used to do that to keep my twists stretched early in my journey. I would use 4 of the long bobby pins and tie it down at night; worked like a charm and gave my hair some body.

Last edited:
Put in another set of coils tonight. This thread is keeping me committed. Because every week I try to talk myself into just doing twists for a twist out.

Going to try to hang in there through December.

@virtuenow Have you tried drying in 8-10 braids, releasing, and then braiding them again? You should get lots of stretch with that as long as you are not heavy handed with a water based moisturizer. I used to use this method early in my journey so I could twist.

@youwillrise @BraunSugar I also used to do that to keep my twists stretched early in my journey. I would use 4 of the long bobby pins and tie it down at night; worked like a charm and gave my hair some body.

pookaloo83 thanks for the links, can't wait to view and try. NappyNelle, that sounds like a nice idea-- I think I will try. What technique do you use now?

I used to do the same thing. Braid, then rebraid. I just started this week using LHDC's way. But the braid then rebraid thing works too. Been doing it for years. But I got lazy and started using the blowdryer some days.

NappyNelle, that sounds like a nice idea-- I think I will try. What technique do you use now?

virtuenow Now I feel like my hair is long enough to braid once, then twist, without my twists looking weird. If I want to have a very full braid out, I'll braid, then rebraid once dry. I don't have a blowdryer, so I had to make do until I got an overhead dryer. :spinning:

Back