Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Hey Guys

I got ambitious yesterday. I washed my hair and put it in a bun. I put it in a ponytail with a scrunchie and pinned with bobby pins. Next I want to try the banana clip bun.

Have a great weekend.[URL=http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss204/rsmithmichelle/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1120.jpg][/URL]

rsmith. Your hair looks so good in this post. You're becoming a 'stunner bunner'.

So I will be bowing out gracefully...I decided to get braids to finish out the year - maybe even the pregnancy. I'll be cheering from the sidelines!!!!!

gvin89. Shucks, we'll miss you:(. Hopefully you'll lurk. Congratulations on your baby.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the 'supermodels'? Victoria44 and BraunSugar have got some real nice new AVIs.

Last edited:
Hey ladies! I want to thank all of you for your kind wishes. :kiss:

I got my hair alllll twisted up with marley hair today. It was VERY weird having someone else's hands in MY hair. On the other hand...it's nice not having to DO much with it this weekend.

My hair yesterday for work.
photo-154.jpg

My hair after I got all braided(twisted) up. (PLEASE ignore my extremely greasy and grumpy/tired/hungry face)
photo-155.jpg

Hi Ladies,

hope you don't mind, I will have to take a 21 days break from this board ( but will still be bunning:grin:).
I will be fasting for 21 days and decided to sacrifice one of my guilty pleasure for 21 days, and LHCF is my guilty pleasure, I check this board several times a day!
I will miss you all and will catch up 2nd of December :blowkiss::bighug:.

Gaby

Hey ladies! I want to thank all of you for your kind wishes. :kiss:

I got my hair alllll twisted up with marley hair today. It was VERY weird having someone else's hands in MY hair. On the other hand...it's nice not having to DO much with it this weekend.

My hair yesterday for work.
photo-154.jpg

My hair after I got all braided(twisted) up. (PLEASE ignore my extremely greasy and grumpy/tired/hungry face)
photo-155.jpg

bajandoc86. It's good to see you before your hiatus. I bet it was weird having someone do you hair since you are such a style guru. You're so funny 'greasy'. No way gal:)
Hi Ladies,

hope you don't mind, I will have to take a 21 days break from this board ( but will still be bunning:grin:).
I will be fasting for 21 days and decided to sacrifice one of my guilty pleasure for 21 days, and LHCF is my guilty pleasure, I check this board several times a day!
I will miss you all and will catch up 2nd of December :blowkiss::bighug:.

Gaby

g.lo wow:. I wish I had the discipline to do something like what you are going to do. We'll save a spot. You are going to learn so much about yourself:) Good luck.

I'm hoping our NY friends are ok Tibbar & NappyNelle. Where you at? Apologies to others I've missed. Stay warm and safe everyone.

I'm hoping our NY friends are ok @Tibbar & @NappyNelle. Where you at? Apologies to others I've missed. Stay warm and safe everyone.

I'm good! Thanks for asking... I live in hard hit Staten Island and although parts of my neighborhood were flooded, and are still very messed up -- I was very lucky. My home is ok, I only lost power for a few days and all of our services have been restored. A few family members were flooded badly and will need a lot of work on their homes. Some parts of Staten Island are back to normal, some parts are working their way back to normal, but the coastal areas are in extremely bad shape. :nono:

I'm going to bun my mini braids until the end of the year like in my signature, but also rotating. I do not use a sock bun, so that's how big my bun looks so far without one.

You ladies are busy in here. I can't keep up :lol:

I took out my coils today. My scalp needed a good washing. Will put them back in on Sunday. I'm going to wear them on my interview on Monday. If they don't want to hire me with them :ohwell:

I'm here, lurking and thanking posts. I'm loving all of the participation, but I am sad for the ladies that have gotten braided up. :sad: I know you have to do what's best for your hair, but still! I'm greedy and like to read the posts!

faithVA Good luck on your interview!

gvin89 Good luck on your fast. I know you can do it.

My birthday is tomorrow! I'll share some of my goodies with you all. :)

Chocolate+Covered+Strawberries+from+Lisa%2527s+Bakehouse+Farms.jpg

looka_triple_choc_mousse_n.jpg

5-chocolate-mousse.jpg

cb21.jpg

Goodmorning ladies! So I got my bottle of mega tek last night, a. Even though the seller had the pic of the old bottle, the new bottle came...so I'm pissed, but with all the essential oils I'm putting in my mix, it just may work. As far as today, I have the craziest messy bun ever! Lolzyz...I'll post a pic later on today...

NappyNelle Happy birthday!

Question: Can I clarify with any sls shampoo? I have been using Elasta Qp Creme Conditioning shampoo about once a week on wash day. Now I want to clarify so I can get the best results from using the AO GPB.

I have some HEHH shampoo with sls. Will this clarify even though its part of their moisturizing line?

NappyNelle Happy birthday!

Question: Can I clarify with any sls shampoo? I have been using Elasta Qp Creme Conditioning shampoo about once a week on wash day. Now I want to clarify so I can get the best results from using the AO GPB.

I have some HEHH shampoo with sls. Will this clarify even though its part of their moisturizing line?

Hey Froreal3. I think so. I mean my clarifying shampoo has sulfates in it. Here's an article I found. Just skimmed it but it looks like as long as you don't do it too often, you should be ok.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/03/02/how-do-clarifying-shampoos-work/

Happy-Birthday-Animated-64-ZK58S83V.gif

Happy Birthday NappyNelle.

Last edited:
What a cool challenge! Aww wish I would have seen this challenge from the beginning, I would have so joined. I'll definitely join the next one. I have personally been challenging myself since this summer to twist, braid or bun only my own hair for greater length retention and it's been working really great for me. I'll be subbing to see everyone's progress and if there's another one, I'll gladly join. Happy Length Retention ladies! :grin:

Thanks MeowMix. The Elasta already has disodium cocoamphodipropionate which I just googled is a surfactant. According to that article you linked, any surfactant can be used to clarify as an alternative to SLS. I'm sure this disodium cocoamphodipropionate is no angel, but I don't find the shampoo too drying.

You ladies are busy in here. I can't keep up :lol:

I took out my coils today. My scalp needed a good washing. Will put them back in on Sunday. I'm going to wear them on my interview on Monday. If they don't want to hire me with them :ohwell:

faithVA: I love your coils, do you do them yourself? How long does it take for the complete look? Your hair is growing back so fast from your chop. Glad to see you back in this challenge and good luck with your interview!

What a cool challenge! Aww wish I would have seen this challenge from the beginning, I would have so joined. I'll definitely join the next one. I have personally been challenging myself since this summer to twist, braid or bun only my own hair for greater length retention and it's been working really great for me. I'll be subbing to see everyone's progress and if there's another one, I'll gladly join. Happy Length Retention ladies! :grin:

Creatividual: I don't think it's too late to join this challenge (MeowMix is it?)

NappyNelle : Happy Birthday!!!! :birthday3::superbanana:

@faithVA: I love your coils, do you do them yourself? How long does it take for the complete look? Your hair is growing back so fast from your chop. Glad to see you back in this challenge and good luck with your interview!

Welcome back Tibbar. Glad to see that life is getting back to "norma" for you and that you are safe.

Thank You! It was my first time doing them. I was surprised they came out so well. It took me between 2.5 to 3 hours to do them. It was worth it to not have to do my hair every morning and night.

I am hoping that the coils help with my retention. I swear my hair grew for the first 45 days and then stopped :lol:

Welcome back @Tibbar. Glad to see that life is getting back to "norma" for you and that you are safe.

Thank You! It was my first time doing them. I was surprised they came out so well. It took me between 2.5 to 3 hours to do them. It was worth it to not have to do my hair every morning and night.

I am hoping that the coils help with my retention. I swear my hair grew for the first 45 days and then stopped :lol:

faithVA
What is your new regimen going to be? Sometimes its just hard to see a difference when you are looking at it every day. Are you taking photos for comparison? Outside looking in, I think its growing...

What products do you use to keep your coils in? How do you maintain it at night?

faithVA: I love your coils, do you do them yourself? How long does it take for the complete look? Your hair is growing back so fast from your chop. Glad to see you back in this challenge and good luck with your interview!

Creatividual: I don't think it's too late to join this challenge (MeowMix is it?)

NappyNelle : Happy Birthday!!!! :birthday3::superbanana:

faithVA. I'm so glad Tibbar & NappyNelle mentioned your interview. You know I wish you well. Sometimes I'm just scatterbrained. :dork:

Tibbar. Love that you are looking out. I sent Creatividual a PM. She's going to be jumping in here with us:yep:.

Last edited:
@faithVA
What is your new regimen going to be? Sometimes its just hard to see a difference when you are looking at it every day. Are you taking photos for comparison? Outside looking in, I think its growing...

What products do you use to keep your coils in? How do you maintain it at night?

Oh you are making me think now :lol:

I will wash, DC on Sunday. I will apply oil, leave-in then create coils with As I Am Curling Jelly. I don't do anything to the coils during the week. I may apply a little sunflower oil. And I dab water on my crown and apply a little oil to add some moisture there. At night I wear my satin bonnet.

I will take the coils out Friday and do a quick wash and conditon and put in twists for a twist out and wear that Saturday.

I am taking pictures every 3 months and every time I change styles.

My 3 months will be up in February, so I will see how much I retain between now and then.

I know it's grown. You are right though, looking at it every day it just seems to be in the same place because its always in the same style - some form of afro :lol:

@faithVA. I'm so glad @Tibbar & @NappyNelle mentioned your interview. You know I wish you well. Sometimes I'm just scatterbrained. :dork:

Tibbar. Love that you are looking out. I sent @Creativdual a PM. She's going to be jumping in here with us:yep:.

Thank all of you, Tibbar, NappyNelle & MeowMix. This is my 3rd interview with this company in the past 60 days. I'm over it :lol: That is why I'm wearing my coils. If it's for me, it will be for me with some coils in my head. I wasn't going to go but my SO shared some words of wisdom so I changed my mind.

You aren't scatterbrained MeowMix. This thread is moving so fast, it's hard to keep up. All 3 of you mentioned the interview and I didn't say thank you to any of you.

This is like a NikkiQ challenge.

Back