Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Hey everyone it's been a min since I checked in but haven't been doing much...getting lazy lol. I just tie my hair up nightly...sometimes banging or misting with water/conditioner mix.

1352322904444.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Guys....Imma ask permission to take a break from this challenge in the form of rope twist braid extensions. :look:

We have a cardiac mission for November - open heart surgeries every.single.day....i.e. crazy schedule. I really don't want to be restyling (twisting/flat twisting) on weekends. So I plan to braid it on friday. Keep them in till max 2nd week of Dec (6 weeks). I don't know if I can keep them in that long tho...I really start missing my hair after week 3. We'll see.

Guys....Imma ask permission to take a break from this challenge in the form of rope twist braid extensions. :look:

We have a cardiac mission for November - open heart surgeries every.single.day....i.e. crazy schedule. I really don't want to be restyling (twisting/flat twisting) on weekends. So I plan to braid it on friday. Keep them in till max 2nd week of Dec (6 weeks). I don't know if I can keep them in that long tho...I really start missing my hair after week 3. We'll see.

Girl, you gotta do what you gotta do! I actually want some extensions or a week, but my excuse is just that I'm lazy, not that I'm doing open heart surgeries! lol I would still like to see the styles. :)

These are my post Hurricane Sandy twists. I've kind of been neglecting my hair lately (too much going on) so they are kind of dry and shrunken. This weekend I hope to give my hair some much needed TLC...

Photo%2520on%25202012-11-07%2520at%252012.28.jpg

Hey everyone it's been a min since I checked in but haven't been doing much...getting lazy lol. I just tie my hair up nightly...sometimes banging or misting with water/conditioner mix.

View attachment 176259

@IFFOCSD. 'Noice':)

stilllll working on taking these braids out. been at it for 3 days doing a little at a time.

@youwillrise. Wooweee, now that's a job. I know you'll be glad when your don. BTW, I'm late with some of your post. There have been some witty little gems that have me cracking up.

@bajandoc86. I'm just going to co-sign with @Froreal3. I know you're going to be busy but I'm hoping you'll lurk. Thanks for all you've done in this thread and what you do IRL:)

These are my post Hurricane Sandy twists. I've kind of been neglecting my hair lately (too much going on) so they are kind of dry and shrunken. This weekend I hope to give my hair some much needed TLC...

Photo%2520on%25202012-11-07%2520at%252012.28.jpg

@Tibbar. First off your hair is real cute. Second I have no excuse for not posting a snap. Hope you're keeping your head up.

Last edited:

bajandoc86 Have you thought about just styling it in twists with your real hair. Your hair is long, and thick (looking). Many are doing it successfully in this thread. The style can last weeks without re-doing. You can even wash/co-rinse them. Completely hassle free.

Last edited:
bajandoc86 Wow, how amazing! Do what you gotta do, girl. I'd pick extensions over my own mini twists because they'd probably mat from neglect. Good luck with everything!

Woke up this morning feeling completely lazy, so my hair is all over! Everyone keeps calling me lion king! Lolzyz...I haven't heard that one since high school!

have been suffering from migraine lately, haven't done much with my hair, they are just in 4 plaits!
bajandoc86, good luck with your busy schedule and really take a break if you need to!

Going to bun for a month. Just did twists for a month. Now time to switch it up.

Here's my twistout from yesterday.

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

Attachments

• image-3445651080.jpg
    image-3445651080.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I washed my hair this morning and let it towel dry in braids before putting it into a high ponytail looped bun:

IMAG1399-1.jpg

IMAG1402-1.jpg

IMAG1400.jpg

Tomorrow, Im thinking about re-doing the bun with the banana clip instead of the ponytail holder.

Sent via Android LHCF App

Experimenting with a modified Curly Girl method and bunning. I co-wash 2 a week and bun. So far I am really liking my moisture retention with this technique.

bajandoc86[USER][/USER] I've been wanting to tell you that I admire your hair. Its beautiful. I wish I was that creative. While your away, I hope you save a lot of lives. God Bless.

bajandoc86--we will be here cheering you on! I think saving lives definitely qualifies for a pass on the challenge ;0)

Do post pictures. I've been wanting to get it done myself but I can't find anyone nearby to do it for me and I can't cornrow decent enough to do it myself.

@Fhrizzball, can you flat twist? I saw on youtube that you can actually crochet into twists as well.

Woke up this morning feeling completely lazy, so my hair is all over! Everyone keeps calling me lion king! Lolzyz...I haven't heard that one since high school!
@Kimeshajohnson people used to call me lion king back in the day too--back then it hurt my feelings, now Id take it as a compliment! :yep:

I just washed out some henna and am about to wash out my DC. Not sure what Im gonna do wiht my hair...probably just air dry in a few braids and bun bc I have a meeting for work and dont have time for much else. Ill probably do something to it tonight or tomorrow though. Ive been MIA around here, but Ive been bunning faithfully! Id like to throw some more twists back in but Ive been lazy and I twist slow lol. I actually prefer them though bc they dont give me a headache when I pull them up the way bunning loose hair does.

I chopped a small section in the back to have to play with. The shrinkage knocked enough sense into me to wait on BCing lol. Id be smack in the middle of the awkward stage. Trying to wait at least 12 months.

finished taking the rest of my braids out last night.

washed & dc'ed overnight, rinsed this morning, moisturized and just rolled and pinned it before work.

i'll probably start my twists after work tonight. im actually going to be good and do actual parts so it looks semi-neat and also so i dont have the problem where parts of one twist is getting stuck with another and im pulling my hair out lol.

oh laziness...

Hey nickmack not sure when you will see this message, but please keep safe during this oncoming hurricane. Will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you bajandoc86 and MeowMix for the kind words :) It's DAYS later, lol but I'm alive! We were without electricity for about 3 and a half days, what a piece of drama.

My quick update is - I'm still twisting it up :look: I haven't been entirely delinquent, except for 2 weekends ago when I decided to have my hair flat-ironed. Smh. What a fail... Will have to wait til December to try again, and even so I'll definitely be using a different stylist and a different flat-iron!

I trimmed my hair last weekend... Pre-pooed with coconut oil + one ORS Replenishing Pak, fell asleep for maybe 1.5hrs and when I washed etc, my hair was SO SOFT. :lick: Golly. I resisted the urge to play around in it too much and twisted it right back up! That was on Sunday, so I'm wearing a twist-out today, tomorrow and then re-styling on Saturday/Sunday!

How's everyone been? SimJam hope Sandy wasn't too bad to you...

East Coast ladies, what's the latest?

So I've had the same bun for 3 days without undoing it. I think that's my limit, dont' want to cause any damage, but I liked not manipulating it. I was still moisturizing, applying my MN mix and using my essential oils. I will probably cowash tonight...thinking about doing a twistout for the weekend!

Victoria44
Thanks for the bun-making video- that style’s a little beyond my hair’s reach but it’s definitely on my ASAP list!

Some thoughts:

#1. Random: note on bun tools:
Was on Amazon the other day & bought some bun-makers for cheap: $1.46 and $1.79 including shipping so of course I bought them (so much for supporting local business- they’re from Hong Kong & Singapore :ohwell:)!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WDV2XA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055MYJ0U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

#2. Random note on hair ties:
I’ve been scouring the internet for affordable (ok fine- I’m looking for cheap cheap cheap!) hair ties and finally came across these things called jelly rolls. They’re strips of fabric about 2” wide and about 40” long (I think they’re used to make quilts?), but they can come in super cute styles and cost anywhere from $5 - $40 for 10 – 30 fabric strips. If anyone is as cheap as I and doesn’t want to spend $30 on a nice thin satin scarf I highly recommend them! (& no, I promise Im not selling these… yet anyway :seesaw:... :lachen:) When mine come in I’ll line the back with a satiny fabric to lessen the friction on the hair.

#3. Bun protectiveness:
I think I may be WAY too short to think about bunning with my own natural hair, but if I can manage something like it with a bunch of pins is that considered protective? I guess as long as it’s not too tight and it’s left pretty untouched (ie. no brushing) for the week? I’m finding it pretty tough to keep my flat twists neat, even with braiding each one a little at the base and pinning my hair down overnight under a satin cap.

#4. Keeping flat twists neat:
I was about to pre-poo overnight and co-wash in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for keeping twists neat in general &/or after a wash? Until I hear back I’ll try this:
-don’t scrub when washing- just rinse really well with conditioner and water
-keep my hair really well—moisturized by sticking to daily oil-based sprays and water-based sprays only as needed
-wrapping my hair with plastic wrap each night (hopefully keeps things neat and doubles as nightly GHE treatments :spinning:)

Sorry if slightly off-topic, but any responses would be a big help!

:bouncy:

Attachments

• Amazon- Hair bun sponge maker- $1.79.jpg
    Amazon- Hair bun sponge maker- $1.79.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Amazon- Hair bun sponge maker- guide.jpg
    Amazon- Hair bun sponge maker- guide.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 14
  • Amazon- Amaranth Twist Holder Clip Bun Hair Twist Braid Tool - $1.46.jpg
    Amazon- Amaranth Twist Holder Clip Bun Hair Twist Braid Tool - $1.46.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 11
  • jelly rolls- charm-fabric-rolls.jpg
    jelly rolls- charm-fabric-rolls.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
Just cowashed and switched up the twists to buns...gonna try it for a week and see how I like it.

ForumRunner_20121108_172413.jpg

ForumRunner_20121108_172430.jpg

ForumRunner_20121108_172448.jpg

Leslie_C;17230499 I just washed out some henna and am about to wash out my DC. Not sure what Im gonna do wiht my hair...probably just air dry in a few braids and bun bc I have a meeting for work and dont have time for much else. Ill probably do something to it tonight or tomorrow though. Ive been MIA around here said:
I chopped a small section in the back to have to play with. The shrinkage knocked enough sense into me to wait on BCing lol.[/B] Id be smack in the middle of the awkward stage. Trying to wait at least 12 months.

Ooooo Leslie_C I'm glad you did that. I saw one of my YT 'friend in the head' do her BC before she was ready and the look on her face was like 'what the h----:bricks:. Good to see you back. It looks like a bunch of us have got some IRL stuff:)

@Victoria44
Thanks for the bun-making video- that style’s a little beyond my hair’s reach but it’s definitely on my ASAP list!

Some thoughts:

#1. Random: note on bun tools:
Was on Amazon the other day & bought some bun-makers for cheap: $1.46 and $1.79 including shipping so of course I bought them (so much for supporting local business- they’re from Hong Kong & Singapore :ohwell:)!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WDV2XA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055MYJ0U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

#2. Random note on hair ties:
I’ve been scouring the internet for affordable (ok fine- I’m looking for cheap cheap cheap!) hair ties and finally came across these things called jelly rolls. They’re strips of fabric about 2” wide and about 40” long (I think they’re used to make quilts?), but they can come in super cute styles and cost anywhere from $5 - $40 for 10 – 30 fabric strips. If anyone is as cheap as I and doesn’t want to spend $30 on a nice thin satin scarf I highly recommend them! (& no, I promise Im not selling these… yet anyway :seesaw:... :lachen:) When mine come in I’ll line the back with a satiny fabric to lessen the friction on the hair.

#3. Bun protectiveness:
I think I may be WAY too short to think about bunning with my own natural hair, but if I can manage something like it with a bunch of pins is that considered protective? I guess as long as it’s not too tight and it’s left pretty untouched (ie. no brushing) for the week? I’m finding it pretty tough to keep my flat twists neat, even with braiding each one a little at the base and pinning my hair down overnight under a satin cap.

#4. Keeping flat twists neat:
I was about to pre-poo overnight and co-wash in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for keeping twists neat in general &/or after a wash? Until I hear back I’ll try this:
-don’t scrub when washing- just rinse really well with conditioner and water
-keep my hair really well—moisturized by sticking to daily oil-based sprays and water-based sprays only as needed
-wrapping my hair with plastic wrap each night (hopefully keeps things neat and doubles as nightly GHE treatments :spinning:)

Sorry if slightly off-topic, but any responses would be a big help!

:bouncy:

Hey NaturallyMede. Look @ u w/ the smilies:lachen:and color. I've been lazy with my smilie game.

I sent you a PM with a YTer that may be able to help with your question on neatness. I actually had to look in the mirror. After two co-washes my hair is not HAM but it probably could be neater (some fuzz). I basically do like you're thinking no scrubbing just let the conditioner run down my hair. I've just started to use castor oil before my CW. The heaviness of the oil is helping to maintain the style.

My thought on pins is that may do more damage than good. I'm not a bunner. You may be able to use hairpins to help protect your ends. I've heard of people lubricating them before putting them their hair. I'm pretty sure a bunner will jump in with some advice.

Today's bun. Used Aphogee 2min put 4 rope twist in and air-dried. Used a banan clip for the bun, I think this will be my go to style for the rest of my stretch, I have to hold out on relaxing due to a small eczema flare up on my scalp. At least the style is cute!

image-4196027993.jpg

image-3473608652.jpg

Not really. I'm gonna wait until the end of the year to look for any results. You?

Froreal3 I am noticing less breakage from bunning everyday. I notice I am changing my regimen as well slightly to prepare it for bunning the next day. Hoping at the end of the year I see that I kept all my length. This is a great challenge.

Back