Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

3 weekiversary of my twists. Next week they're coming out, and I'm not looking forward to the take down but still happy to have my out hair back!

also, having my hair down all brushing against my scarf, and in this cold weather was killing me, but I pulled through :lol:

photo19-1.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone seeing results yet?

I'm not sure, I pull my hair down in length checks every single day :lol: so I only really see a difference 4-5 months down the road when its a big difference in length

But I see zero breakage and moisture retention so I'm sure I'll be happy with my results at the end of the challenge :yep:

virtuenow I honestly don't know. I don't wear extensions so I only assume my hair would react differently with them.

Twisted my hair day before yesterday. Love medium twists.
8168508896_3c3081713d.jpg

faithVA what is your Terressentials routine. I'm finally about to break down and get some. I'd like to still be able to use my other products and I noticed you keep a diverse regimen. Could you share please?

I have a quick question for twisters... Does anyone twist after blowing out their hair? If so, how do you prevent it from shrinking back up?

Hair for today...two flat twists...one of my go to styles. Sometimes I leave a little hair out like today. Btw my hair was too dry after leaving it bunned so I will change bun every other day.

image-1067523514.jpg

-PYT said:
virtuenow I honestly don't know. I don't wear extensions so I only assume my hair would react differently with them.

Twisted my hair day before yesterday. Love medium twists.

Your twists are always perfect.

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

nickmack said:
I have a quick question for twisters... Does anyone twist after blowing out their hair? If so, how do you prevent it from shrinking back up?

I do sometimes. I really can't avoid it, but it doesn't shrink up that much.

Fhrizzball said:
Do post pictures. I've been wanting to get it done myself but I can't find anyone nearby to do it for me and I can't cornrow decent enough to do it myself.

I took out my twisted frohawk after 12 days and I'm thinking of revisiting minitwists. The problem with that is that it never comes out full when I do it and the ends unravel but hopefully this time it will be different. Right now I have my hair in finger-section braids under a crochet hat for as luck will have it, it's snowing already.

I found a salon that will do it here...not crazy about the price though $100. But then my friend said she had a friend who does it at their house and it was still $100. I was ok...

When I was in high school (late 90s), crochets were the big thing! My best friend would do them for me for $20. We would go to the BSS and pick out different hair each time...those were the days! :-) does any one remember those prebraided ones lol

Growingmyhairlong said:
Anyone seeing results yet?

My ends are in so much better condition! I haven't gotten a trim in 5 months and they still look good. I go dust occasionally. So I think this quarter, my retention will be great. Probably will get a trim before my crochet braids.

I am by no means a regular twister but what I do to keep my twists stretched is wrap the twists every night, like one would wrap their straight hair, and pin them down. Then throw on a satin scarf. This actually stretches them more and more each day. I always spritz my hair with water every night for moisture so doing this doesn't allow them to shrink up.

@faithVA what is your Terressentials routine. I'm finally about to break down and get some. I'd like to still be able to use my other products and I noticed you keep a diverse regimen. Could you share please?

virtuenow, I can't say I really have a routine with the mudwash anymore. I think I switched up use when I big chopped. When I first started using it I was using it every other wash. Now I guess I would say I use it similar to a clarifying shampoo. I may use it once a month. I will typically use it when I think my scalp needs some extra loving care. And sometimes I will put it on my scalp and use regular shampoo or cleansing conditioner on my hair.

Those twists are GORGEOUS @PYT

Thanks nickmack girl! I've twisted after blowdrying a couple times and it gave me wayyy more hangtime. I'd say don't twist with anything water-based and avoid getting them wet.

Your twists are always perfect.

Thanks pookaloo83 :) I'm a perfectionist with these damn twists lol...

My twists only seem to shrink when they get wet so I've started to mosturize my hair after washing and let it air-dry either out or stretched (ie. in buns / large bantus / large twists) before twisting. This makes the final twists longer without heat and at night I gently stretch and pin down my twists like @TruMe

Edit: Tried blowdrying before twisting a few times, but I didn't like the look of the thinner twists. Same as with twists on flat-ironed hair. Guess I'm used to having a certain look with twists (on my hair). Also- I have major difficulty maintain flat-ironed hair so I twist it after a few days, but the top half remains thin and the bottom half reverts, making for a pretty uneven-looking do (this was in the summer so I think this was due to the bottom half absorbing the sweat from my neck :drowning: ).

Last edited:
So I will be bowing out gracefully...I decided to get braids to finish out the year - maybe even the pregnancy. I'll be cheering from the sidelines!!!!!

If Im gonna blow out my hair (on cool setting) before twisting I make sure to use a moisturizing leave in then seal with a light oil. I do this because inevitably, blow drying even on cool has the tendency to leave my ends a but crunchy and crunchy ends dont curl.

then i twist with a product thats not water based... so any butter or thick creamy twisting product should work.

I like Qhemet AOHC or BRBC, shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and HQS 5 day moisture (which is basically shea butter).

I think something like cantu should work nicely if you want a local alternative also. ORS lock and twist gel could work too - though its a bit more watery.

honestly, I dont like twisting on blown out hair because I prefer plump twists, so even if I do get my hair blown out, I usually slather on a water based LI as soon as I get home .... which makes them plump/shrink up :lol:

I much prefer twisting on dry/damp hair

I think my bun today is kinda cute. I realized that if I use a donut and after pinning the hair around it, I sort of flair it and make it puffy, it looks more casual and not as severe. Not sure if I'm making sense :lol:

Attachments

• image-2569147546.jpg
    image-2569147546.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image-1529518785.jpg
    image-1529518785.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
NaturallyMede said:
My twists only seem to shrink when they get wet so I've started to mosturize my hair after washing and let it air-dry either out or stretched (ie. in buns / large bantus / large twists) before twisting. This makes the final twists longer without heat and at night I gently stretch and pin down my twists like @TruMe

Edit: Tried blowdrying before twisting a few times, but I didn't like the look of the thinner twists. Same as with twists on flat-ironed hair. Guess I'm used to having a certain look with twists (on my hair). Also- I have major difficulty maintain flat-ironed hair so I twist it after a few days, but the top half remains thin and the bottom half reverts, making for a pretty uneven-looking do (this was in the summer so I think this was due to the bottom half absorbing the sweat from my neck :drowning: ).

It's true. My blow dried twists are thinner than my air dried twists.

Here's my blow dried

And this is air dried (with the green shirt) more plump. But shorter.

Attachments

• image-3338230822.jpg
    image-3338230822.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image-603091978.jpg
    image-603091978.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I think my bun today is kinda cute. I realized that if I use a donut and after pinning the hair around it, I sort of flair it and make is puffy, it looks more casual and not as severe. Not sure if I'm making sense :lol:

I try to do the same thing!

Back