Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Yay, it's not too late for me to join. :grin: My entry questions and a pic are below:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)? I've been rotating between all three of these styles as of late; normally I do bunning the least out of the three though. But I plan to wear them more.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen? Twists: I like to them on stretched hair via blow outs or the banding technique. I wear them for 1-2 weeks and keep them oiled as needed. I like to wear them in up-dos. For braids, which are french braids for me, and buns I also like to style them on stretched hair. I will take the style down every night, apply a little coconut oil to it in sections and braid and band the sections.

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning? Natu-RAL

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge? Increased length retention especially in my bang area

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days? 3 days (even though I will more than likely trend towards 2 days)

6. Include Starting Pic - it's attached

Attachments

• Photo Nov 10, 2 16 34 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 10, 2 16 34 PM.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
NappyNelle Happy Birthday! I gotta say though, I don't appreciate you posting pics of delicious cake. I am on a modified juice fast and I feel like you are teasing me. :lol:

My twists are still in. It's been 2 weeks. I'm just spraying them with moisturizer & putting them in a bun or a banana clip pony. Getting hair lazy, but whatever. I'll wash them either Sunday or Monday (I think) and keep doing what I've been doing. My DH's bday is the 13th so I may do some kind of style for dinner. Other than that, keeping it simple!

jprayze said:
My ends are in so much better condition! I haven't gotten a trim in 5 months and they still look good. I go dust occasionally. So I think this quarter, my retention will be great. Probably will get a trim before my crochet braids.

My last trim was June 30th. I'm really impressed with the condition on my ends.

image-2583970.jpg

Last edited:
I spent the last 3 days putting in my minitwists. The twists aren't that small, I'm just a slow twister. I'm hoping that I'll have these in for 4 weeks minimum but if all goes well I'll just keep doing minitwists for the rest of the year. My minitwists never come out as full as I would like so it's when I do them I realize that my hair isn't that dense or thick. Also I have so much shorter hair in my crown and I hope it's not breakage.

new do

DSC03622.jpg

DSC03614-1.jpg

DSC03620.jpg

started my twists yesterday.

working on them slowly today.

im braiding the base and twisting the rest....dunno if that will help anything, but im doing it anyway haha.

Co Washed with Wen and re-twisted a few in the back.

I love how they look after being wet!

I skyped with my mom yesterday and she still isn't feeling my twists. Her reaction "Is that how you wear your hair now?
"yes"
"Oh... how else do you wear your hair?"
"Twist outs"
"Oh okay, good."

hahaha :lol: I used to be offended by my mom but she is the type of woman who loves straight hair and wearing it down. When I wear a bun 24/7 she tells me I should do other things to my hair.

Shampooed,DC, and wet banned yesterday. Rocking my hair in two braids today as I always do in the house. Might rebun today if u leave the house. If not I will rebun this week for work.

not the greatest picture (hard to see), but here i have my twists rolled and pinned in the front and then in a side ponytail in the back.

ill probs post a better picture sometime. i suck at this HAHA!

Attachments

• weeooh.jpg
    weeooh.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 41
Had to go to a baby shower. So I bunned up my hair. Gonna try to keep it in for at least 2 more days at least. Just tie it up at night.

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

Attachments

• image-1224650343.jpg
    image-1224650343.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3357691547.jpg
    image-3357691547.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 45
DCing my hair tonight. Prepping to put my coils back in. I really should have started it earlier. I have 3 hours of twisting to do :nono:

lol...i get that reaction anytime i post a picture anywhere.

tonight i condition cleansed with loreal evercreme...and followed up w/ tresemme naturals vibrantly smooth. smoothed on some olive oil and then a mixture of shea moisture restorative conditioner & shea moisture baby ointment...then i blowdried because i want to keep my twists stretched and looking decent.

i think im going to do one condition wash & one dc with these twists per week...as opposed to my usually 3 to 5 times a week washes. hopefully they can last.

Got my hair flat ironed so I've been wearing it out for the last 2 days. Probably bun Wed thru Friday and then hopeful I will get my crochet braids on Saturday. Going to try to make my appt today.

Is it ok if I post the weekly styles I do with my braids?

what kinda question is that ?!?!?!?!?!

I mentioned upthread that we certainly would not be opposed to your posting your styles while in braids.

BTW did u do them yourself?

edit: ooh I see you got them done.

I may want to try even though my BF hates fake hair .... hmmmm maybe I'll break up with him for 3 months and get some extensions :lachen:

Last edited:
going hard (do people still say this mess? lol) with my protectives this time around. it's been a long time since ive really taken protective styling seriously. my hair will remain in this style for the remainder of the week...i will spray moisturize it, but i will not take the style down. on the weekend, i will take it down to condition wash, dc & thoroughly moisturize/seal...then i'll do the same until im ready to take these twists out.

or maybe it's not me "going hard" on my protectives and just me getting lazy and not wanting to do as much as i have been? maybe both :)

jprayze said:
Got my hair flat ironed so I've been wearing it out for the last 2 days. Probably bun Wed thru Friday and then hopeful I will get my crochet braids on Saturday. Going to try to make my appt today.

Just put my hair up in a clip...enough of that hair out! Lol

My medium twists are still very neat and soft. My brain is fried from doing math and I have to work tonight and tomorrow then quiz Wednesday :cry: I just feel overwhelmed. Gonna put some sulfur grease on my scalp and oil my ends before work. Hope you ladies are well.

Back