Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Putting my hair in two flat twists. I keep my hair like this most of the week til Friday which is wash day. Excuse the fuzziness in the back lol. My hair is shorter at the crown bc I cut it lol. Still trying to retain my length and grow more. Wish my hair was long enough to bun because I would bun the heck out of my hair lol

Attachments

• image-794440553.jpg
    image-794440553.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image-991101733.jpg
    image-991101733.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 27
  • image-1642574834.jpg
    image-1642574834.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 34
I've been so boring with my twists the last few weeks. Just a top knot on the top of my head, and every few days moisturize and seal. I'm really fighting the urge to take them out but luckily I'm so busy I can't even find the time lol. After these come out I'm flat ironing for the first time in 3 years for thansgiving (excited!!) and then trying this banana clip bun everyone's doing b/c its super cute :yep:

1. What is your primary style?
Twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
- Alternate co-washing and shampooing every weekend (with pre-poo overnight)
- After fortnightly shampoo: moisturize & seal well, large bantu knots to stretch, redo flat twists the next day
- Twice daily growth mixture applied to scalp, concentrating on my poor balding temples! (Mixture ingredients: MN, MTG, MT, WGHO, Bee Mine Mango serum, Emu oil, Castor oil, HTGE- regular pound cake scent, which smells yummy, but then STINKY cz it’s so strong!!)
- Daily spray with water-based solution & moisturizing oils, concentrating on ends

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Longer, healthier hair free of split ends & SSKs

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
http://s1338.beta.photobucket.com/user/NaturallyMede/media/IMG_3526.jpg.html

I often struggle to find protective styles to mix up my look so thx, MeowMix, for the STYLE INSPIRATIONS & INFORMATION post!

:woot:

Attachments

• IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 25
I retwisted my hair again! I moved my part to the side and I loveeee the new look.

Oh and I accidentally splurged on some more hair products. Ugh. What's wrong with me??

-PYT It looks lovely!!! I REALLY wanna try it out.The BSS I went to yesterday didnt have banana clips...can you imagine?

Oh, and that headband is very nice. Do you have to wear caps at work?

Here is my bun for the day. Really need to do a DC tonight.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 33
Just took my bun down after cowashing and bunning last night and OMG my ends are so soft right now!!! Ahhh loving this so far lol. About to add a little bit of moisture to my edges and back into a bun I go.

-PYT It looks lovely!!! I REALLY wanna try it out.The BSS I went to yesterday didnt have banana clips...can you imagine?

Oh, and that headband is very nice. Do you have to wear caps at work?

Nope, no caps. I just got home from my night shift and I am exhausted. I plan to sleep some and get my life in order when I wake up. That includes tackling this hair! Think I'm gonna do twists.

Yesterday was a banana clip bun on straight hair. I washed this am, so now I'm doing a high donut bun styled on wet hair. Trying to see if I can keep it for a few days without manipulating it. I couldn't do it with the low donut, but maybe it will work better because it's high.

I want to try a big high bun like Ambrosia's in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwwOIAbBnbM&feature=plcp (starts at about 1:20)

Does anyone use bungees instead of scrunchies? I heard it's easier because you don't have to fight your hair through a hole.

hair_bungee_curled_black_30-228x228.jpg

Hi ladies,

I wanted to let you guys know I finally did my mini - twists. It took me about 3 or 4 days. I took alot alot of breaks. But I did it. I hope I can keep it in as long as I can

Lute said:
Hi ladies,

I wanted to let you guys know I finally did my mini - twists. It took me about 3 or 4 days. I took alot alot of breaks. But I did it. I hope I can keep it in as long as I can

Pictures!!!

1. What is your primary style?
Twists

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?
- Alternate co-washing and shampooing every weekend (with pre-poo overnight)
- After fortnightly shampoo: moisturize & seal well, large bantu knots to stretch, redo flat twists the next day
- Twice daily growth mixture applied to scalp, concentrating on my poor balding temples! (Mixture ingredients: MN, MTG, MT, WGHO, Bee Mine Mango serum, Emu oil, Castor oil, HTGE- regular pound cake scent, which smells yummy, but then STINKY cz it’s so strong!!)
- Daily spray with water-based solution & moisturizing oils, concentrating on ends

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
Longer, healthier hair free of split ends & SSKs

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
http://s1338.beta.photobucket.com/user/NaturallyMede/media/IMG_3526.jpg.html

I often struggle to find protective styles to mix up my look so thx, MeowMix, for the STYLE INSPIRATIONS & INFORMATION post!

:woot:

NaturallyMede. Yay. I finally got you in here. Welcome to the challenge and board. Thanks for giving me credit for the Inspiration Post. What can I say? I'm pretty good at the cut and paste. :blush: This is a gift from our friend NappyNelle. Oh and just to give you a tiny challenge history 'the creator' faithVA is back in here also. I'm glad your in, there are a LOT of wonderful ladies in the challenge. Talk to you soon.

-Meow

^^As far as history, I am probably more a challenge reviver than a thread creator. The challenge had sort of died and I revived it. Then I morphed it into a braid challenge and then a bun challenge and tada... here we are :lol:

I am glad it is such an active challenge.

I want to try a big high bun like Ambrosia's in this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwwOIAbBnbM&feature=plcp (starts at about 1:20)

Does anyone use bungees instead of scrunchies? I heard it's easier because you don't have to fight your hair through a hole.

hair_bungee_curled_black_30-228x228.jpg

My sister uses those-- and says they're great for thick natural hair. -- I think they're called pony hooks. I want to try them as my hair grows out.

Last edited:
2nd day donut = love!!! Saved me so much time this am. Spritz the sides with some moisturized, smoothed my edges with MJ curly buttercreme, even added my MN oil mix to my temples. Scarf and baggy in the shower and then when I finished getting dressed, I took the scarf off and voila :-)

Hopefully it will last the rest of the week. Btw-- I'm thinking about getting crochet braids buy I don't want to leave the group :-(

image-4138523534.jpg

image-2289802861.jpg

Is anyone here still using mega tek? I just ordered some and it should be here soon. I'm going to mix mine with essential oils and some emu oil. I you are still using it, what is your result with it?

Just got asked by my yt co-workers why I don't wear wear my hair long. Huh? I've only been bunning for 3 weeks. But I told them I'd show it off around Christmas.

^^As far as history, I am probably more a challenge reviver than a thread creator. The challenge had sort of died and I revived it. Then I morphed it into a braid challenge and then a bun challenge and tada... here we are :lol:

I am glad it is such an active challenge.
:lachen:Thanks faithVA. I was just telling a friend that I can testify before congress with bad information. BTW, I learned something new today:)

2nd day donut = love!!! Saved me so much time this am. Spritz the sides with some moisturized, smoothed my edges with MJ curly buttercreme, even added my MN oil mix to my temples. Scarf and baggy in the shower and then when I finished getting dressed, I took the scarf off and voila :-)

Hopefully it will last the rest of the week. Btw-- I'm thinking about getting crochet braids buy I don't want to leave the group :-(

View attachment 176141

View attachment 176143

jprayze. I know that you'll do what's best for you and your hair. I hope you don't go but if you do, we'll see each other on the board.

Is anyone here still using mega tek? I just ordered some and it should be here soon. I'm going to mix mine with essential oils and some emu oil. I you are still using it, what is your result with it?

Kimeshajohnson. Ah, one of my first bandwagons. I remember going to farm/feed stores to buy that stuff. I didn't notice any difference, but here is a thread
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=651431&highlight=megatek

Hey Ladies I am wearing my hair in a twist in the front and a bun in the back.
th_IMG_1117.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rsmith. Your hair is so thick and pretty. You know I'm just sitting over here wanting it.:yep:

Just got asked by my yt co-workers why I don't wear wear my hair long. Huh? I've only been bunning for 3 weeks. But I told them I'd show it off around Christmas.

BGT, um yeah, they can come at you with the strange questions....

Cowashed my twistout with Wen (summer coconut mango, or whatever that one is called) last night. Wrapped a turbie twist on my head for half an hour or so while watching election coverage. Took it off and put DB Transitioning Creme on my NG and used the Wen as my leave-in. I then did a damp bun using eco styler along the edges and tied a satin scarf on and hit the sack. Woke up this morning to super soft, fluffy hair.

I've never used Wen as a leave in, but it looks like I might have to start doing that once my other leave ins run out. I'm all about keeping it simple and was looking to cut down my stash now that I'm finding products that really work for me.

I usually do my bun by using an elastic and then a scrunchie to add fullness, but today I didn't need the scrunchie because my hair was so fluffy. I used an elastic, wrapped the hair loosely around that and then used hair pins. The photo's not that great because I'm on my iPad and couldn't get it positioned right.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Edit: Okay...I knew my positioning was, but I didn't know it was upside down. Whoops!

Attachments

• image-4139068368.jpg
    image-4139068368.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 21
This is what happens when you are sitting in front of the TV for hours on end...

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 31
Well I ordered my hair for my crochet braids, but either way, I will be lurking in this challenge.

Well I ordered my hair for my crochet braids, but either way, I will be lurking in this challenge.

Do post pictures. I've been wanting to get it done myself but I can't find anyone nearby to do it for me and I can't cornrow decent enough to do it myself.

I took out my twisted frohawk after 12 days and I'm thinking of revisiting minitwists. The problem with that is that it never comes out full when I do it and the ends unravel but hopefully this time it will be different. Right now I have my hair in finger-section braids under a crochet hat for as luck will have it, it's snowing already.

Back