Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge (10/1/2012 -12/31/2012)

Poohbear what do you do to your hair at night? Take the clip out then what? Plait it? Bun it?

Sent From The Microwave Where I Warm Up Honeybuns With Cheese :)

pookaloo83 - I've been keeping the banana clip in my hair at night and tie a big scarf around my hair. It doesn't bother me at all while I sleep. If the bun messes up, I'll just redo the bun part.

Sent via Android LHCF App

My twa has finally grown out enough where I can join :yay:
I am soooo glad for a break from doing my hair every day.

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
coils

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

Wash 1x a week.
--Wash with a cleansing conditioner: Hair One or As I Am
--DC with AO Blue Chamomile
--Apply light oil sunflower/grapeseed
--Apply leave-in
--Mist with water, apply curling jelly and twist

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
More retention and healthier ends

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).
CoilsFrontP1 (640x451).jpg

Poohbear, you and Nappynelle are the queen of cute buns!!!
I find that bannana clip are best for me and I don't get much headache with them.

So my braid out was weak sauce. Next time I'll do my braids bigger. Meanwhile, I pinned the fail up in a makeshift updo and tell me why every person I worked with last night complimented my hair?! Natural hair for the win!!!! I'll try to get a pic

-PYT. I just get stoopid for funny sayings thanks for that:)

Hey ladies, quick check in. I'm over here in Staten Island, Sandy hit us pretty hard. :sad:

We were fortunate in that we still have our home, and sustained minimal property damage. We lost power for several days - learning to live without the most basic things sucked but once we got power, phones and internet back (yesterday) and learned how hard the Island was hit I felt small for complaining about ME. Without a way to communicate, I felt so cut off from the world. My first day back at work was yesterday and I learned some friends lost EVERYTHING ... humbling...

Oh and my hair is in a sorry state right now.... we did not get hot water until yesterday so - well, fill in the blanks you know I'm looking ratchet right now... :nono:

(sorry to admit that I care about that at a time like this but I'm shallow.... don't judge me please :ohwell:)
Tibbar. I'm so glad you are ok. I really don't know how everybody is wrapping their mind around this type of devastation. This the unfortunate thing about a 24/7 news cycle. It's like on to the next story, meanwhile it's going to take a while to recover from this. IMHO its not shallow at all to care for your hair at this time. It's a step to rebuilding.

Just checking in. I live in New Jersey and Hurricane Sandy hit us pretty hard too. We had no power or heat for four days. My husband needed my bobby pins to rig up some makeshift latern (don't ask) so I ended up with a puff instead of a bun. Then I didn't touch my hair for four days so my hair is a hot matted mess! I just tried to take the hair tie out and ripped a chunk of my hair. I think this is going to be a bit of setback for me. Damn that Sandy!!!!

Hey Perfexion. Your husband sounds like a genius. I'm so glad your pulling through hair friend. I'm daming Sandy too on your set back. Enough is enough:( Keep on keeping on:)

Good to see you back faithVA. Love the hairstyle.
Thanks to all for the updates and wonderful pictures.

Last edited:
Washed my twists!!! My method was successful and there was minimal unraveling! I'm letting it air dry right now. Very happy that it worked out because I think I would have cried if I spent 2 days doing twisting only for them to be ruined in less than 2 weeks.

@faithVA finger coils got me through my first 3 months post BC! Everyone kept asking me was I starting off locs :lol:

I will probably get that question too. I am going to rock them as long as I can. The first 3 months with my twa was tiring :lol: Maybe I won't dread wash day so much. And I have a good excuse to watch a movie once a week. :yep:

Hey ladies, quick check in. I'm over here in Staten Island, Sandy hit us pretty hard. :sad:

We were fortunate in that we still have our home, and sustained minimal property damage. We lost power for several days - learning to live without the most basic things sucked but once we got power, phones and internet back (yesterday) and learned how hard the Island was hit I felt small for complaining about ME. Without a way to communicate, I felt so cut off from the world. My first day back at work was yesterday and I learned some friends lost EVERYTHING ... humbling...

Oh and my hair is in a sorry state right now.... we did not get hot water until yesterday so - well, fill in the blanks you know I'm looking ratchet right now... :nono:

(sorry to admit that I care about that at a time like this but I'm shallow.... don't judge me please :ohwell:)

:bighug: Glad that you and your family are ok. I am also glad that your damage was minimal. The storms can definitely make your realize what is important.

@faithVA they are gorgeous, glad to have you back.

MeowMix;17195381 Good to see you back @[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=292332" said:
faithVA[/URL]. Love the hairstyle.
Thanks to all for the updates and wonderful pictures.

@faithVA congratulations on your pretty coils :yep:

Thank You ladies. Not sure if I can hang with all this pretty hair in here and I've only looked at the last page. I didn't know everyone was in this challenge :lol:

It's good to be back. Never thought I would miss twist so much.

Let me go to page 1 and see if I can get caught up.

Hi ladies. I just put my hair back in some medium/largish twists. I pinned them up to the sides. I think it looks pretty *****...but oh well. I'm not going anywhere this week. lol

faithVA said:
My twa has finally grown out enough where I can join :yay:
I am soooo glad for a break from doing my hair every day.

Start by Sharing:

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning)?
coils

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

Wash 1x a week.
--Wash with a cleansing conditioner: Hair One or As I Am
--DC with AO Blue Chamomile
--Apply light oil sunflower/grapeseed
--Apply leave-in
--Mist with water, apply curling jelly and twist

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?
Natural

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?
More retention and healthier ends

5. After wearing your hair out will you restyle after [Pick One] 2 days or 3 days?
2 days

6. Include Starting Pic. (You are not a challenger without a pic).

Congrats on your growth. You are using the As I am coconut wash and hair one. Which one do you like better. I have both and I am currently using As I Am.

Hey ladies, it's been a while but I am still wearing my hair in protective style. I have my in two flat twists on each side. It's the easiest thing for me to do and maintain.

@[URL="http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=342565" said:
Prettycoach[/URL];17197053]Congrats on your growth. You are using the As I am coconut wash and hair one. Which one do you like better. I have both and I am currently using As I Am.

Thank You!

I've only used the Hair One Olive Oil once. But from that one experience I liked it better than the As I Am. I let the Hair One sit while I baggied and showered. I did not do that with the As I Am. This weekend I will let the As I Am sit and see if it works better. I also have the Hair One Argan Oil I want to try.

I like the As I Am. It left my hair feeling clean but not stripped. But the Hair One made my hair feel softer. My hair did not shrink. And I was able to detangle with it.

I don't think I will have build up with As I Am. I am not sure if the Hair One will leave me with build up or not.

Do you have the Hair One Olive Oil or a different one?

Twisted my dd today....just sharing. I hope to do a similar style on my hair at some point this week.

Attachments

• image-1593331302.jpg
    image-1593331302.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image-394983394.jpg
    image-394983394.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 51
Here are my twists after the 1st wash! They are completely dry:

post-wash-mini.jpg

I'll be using that wash method for mini braids too. Came out really well.

Back